Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Heran Bago posted:

I wanted to see if any Godot developers have talked about the Unity thing. Most I found was this banned former dev who has a different axe to grind.
there's a prophet buried in that link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

This is an example of both. So of course no-one loving bought it because no-one will ever buy a Housemarque game no matter how good it is.

It reportedly sold half a mil in four months of release which is pretty loving good considering there were like four PS5s on shelves to buy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hadlock posted:

I think just like movies, you can have a huge budget, proven management and still create a real turd. There's probably actuarial tables on this stuff we just don't see them

George Lucas did star wars, indiana jones and american graffiti, just printed money for decades, but turned around and wrote and directed Phantom Menace

I get what you're saying but it's funny that you chose to illustrate your point with a movie that made almost a billion

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Prism posted:

Edit: excuse the tiny screenshot.

A wrist-mounted shofar does look like a good holiday item.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

YoYoGames/GameMaker's reaction:

quote:

It's been an incredibly stressful week for a lot of indie developers. We've been having some fun at Unity's expense, but we also know that this is a serious issue with real-world consequences.
There's a saying that 'Trust takes years to build, seconds to break, and forever to repair.' The changes announced by Unity have not only broken that trust with their own users, but also damaged the trust that developers put in engines like GameMaker, Godot, Unreal and others every single day. For some, game-making is a hobby; for others, it's a livelihood.
We know that you put your faith in us every time you open GameMaker. We know we don't always get things right, and we've made some missteps along the way ourselves, but we will always do everything we can to secure the safety and success of your games.
Love to those impacted by the Unity announcements. The doors at GameMaker, and other fantastic game engines, are always open.
❤ - The GameMaker Team

We've also released a few blogs to help people who want to move from Unity and desktop/web exports are available for free for the next 3 months - links below
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1702342740086792320

https://twitter.com/GameMakerEngine/status/1702342740086792320

You can redeem the 3 month export license at: opr.as/F-Unity

https://twitter.com/GameMakerEngine/status/1702344083694342573

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Didn't whoever bought yoyo games try some poo poo with the existing perpetual export licences

E: god I forgot it was Opera that bought them

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

They switched to monthly subscriptions but afaik the old permanent licenses are still valid.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bruceski posted:

A wrist-mounted shofar does look like a good holiday item.

I thought it looked more like coathooks, but I wasn't sure why you'd want them arm-mounted.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Hadlock posted:

George Lucas did star wars, indiana jones and american graffiti, just printed money for decades, but turned around and wrote and directed Phantom Menace

what do you mean "turned around"? he wrote loving willow, he always had that poo poo in him

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Prism posted:

I thought it looked more like coathooks, but I wasn't sure why you'd want them arm-mounted.

You've never had a group of people say "oh as long as you're holding his coat can you get mine too"?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rarity posted:

I get what you're saying but it's funny that you chose to illustrate your point with a movie that made almost a billion

Cultural inertia is wild

It's an absolute dogshit B tier movie but I've probably watched it cumulatively 3 times because reasons

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Hadlock posted:

Cultural inertia is wild

It's an absolute dogshit B tier movie but I've probably watched it cumulatively 3 times because reasons

a mere 3 times!? and you have the audacity, the utter unmitigated gall to call yourself a goon :reject:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Rarity posted:

If we pick Star Wars, let’s go with Episode 9: Revenge of the JJ for something very flashy but creatively bland

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lucas had total creative control for episodes IV, then also I, II, III. He's also credited with writing the screenplay for IV and I do it makes for a better comparison. Directed and executive produced, too

:goonsay:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It would be nice if this led to a wider discussion about how gaming industry profits are distributed. If the likes of Steam wasn't taking 30% for access to their social media platform, there would be a lot more wiggle room to negotiate other costs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Steam provides a lot more services than merely a storefront and access to a social media platform. It also serves as DRM(notably significantly less terrible than virtually all other DRM choices), online matchmaking services, distribution/installation/patching infrastructure, and a centralized mod platform(if the game allows it). These are all services that would be costing money and effort in some form if Steam was not providing them.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 16, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you want to sell your game on your website nobody is stopping you. You can just put an ad in 2600 magazine and cash physical checks people mail you and mail them a CD-R or slabs of cuniform

Valve knows they have no economic moat as an online market place so they provide a lot of additional services

I'll setup an online marketplace and only charge you 5%, but I'm gonna run ads on your store page, and I'll only guarantee you can download it for 4 weeks after purchase

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kanos posted:

Steam provides a lot more services than merely a storefront and access to a social media platform. It also serves as DRM(notably significantly less terrible than virtually all other DRM choices), online matchmaking services, distribution/installation/patching infrastructure, and a centralized mod platform(if the game allows it). These are all services that would be costing money and effort in some form if Steam was not providing them.

Yeah, inclined to agree here. Stem is a middleman, but it is not just a middleman that skims off the top without actually providing any value in and of itself. Just the additional reach it provides is likely a net gain for a bunch of developers.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Orv posted:

Also on the “EA will use this to discredit SP big budget games” thing; that’s happened multiple times in the past but they continue to be one of the big producers of big budget SP games every time so I wouldn’t worry about it much. Hell we got a third Dragon Age game after 2 and I wouldn’t have blamed them for closing up shop on the series for a while after the response, deserved or not.
The logic would also suggest that Anthem and BF2042's rocky launch were discrediting MP big budget games, so which is it?

It'd be pretty stupid logic too since so many big hits lately have been SP games.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OneEightHundred posted:

It'd be pretty stupid logic too since so many big hits lately have been SP games.

I mean in this thread of all threads, the logic being stupid certainly wouldn't disqualify it from being made, given the major recent topic of discussion

I am glad that the multiplayer-games-as-a-service fad does seem to be at least somewhat dying out compared to how many people were trying to clown car their own takes on the concept out not too long ago

Orv
May 4, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

The logic would also suggest that Anthem and BF2042's rocky launch were discrediting MP big budget games, so which is it?

I just meant that in EAs case very specifically, people have said exactly that thing multiple times before when they’ve had a miss and it’s never come true. I get where the trepidation comes from, EA definitely has a history of real hot ideas regarding its properties but I think it’s unlikely that they’re going to stop using their sports billions to occasionally make an RPG or a spectacle shooter or what have you.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Terror Radius Wesker is amazing because every super-twitchy pubbie will never do anything since your terror radius will have them diving into a locker every 30 seconds while against everyone else it's functionally just having Undetectable up except you can also abuse Terror Radius buffs like Infection Fright like woah.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Thought this was an interesting little data point.

https://twitter.com/kerrblimey/status/1702043696672235670

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kanos posted:

It also serves as DRM(notably significantly less terrible than virtually all other DRM choices)

Significantly less effective, almost to the point of wondering why it exists, also

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Having effective drm doesn't really matter that much.
look at everything on gog, including BG3

The main benefits of drm are like
(a) to last for like the opening weekend for a hyped high-marketing-budget game as that's when most of the sales are
(b) to make executives happy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Convenience matters most, and having all your games handled by Steam is very convenient.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Having effective drm doesn't really matter that much.
look at everything on gog, including BG3

The main benefits of drm are like
(a) to last for like the opening weekend for a hyped high-marketing-budget game as that's when most of the sales are
(b) to make executives happy

Doesn’t everything on GOG have no DRM as the whole point? Was under the impression that’s why a lot of big publishers recent games don’t end up there but maybe they do it game by game now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah on almost every occasion I've paid more to have the game on steam than a competing platform like GoG or green man gaming* or, uh, itch.io

*GmG seems like it's just a steam key reseller, but I guess they offer other titles as well?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Orv posted:

Doesn’t everything on GOG have no DRM as the whole point? Was under the impression that’s why a lot of big publishers recent games don’t end up there but maybe they do it game by game now.

Yeah that's my point. They have no drm whatsoever and are trivial to pirate (just zip up the files and send them to a friend! or upload online) yet BG3 still sold gangbusters and made enough money to go swimming in gold coins scrooge mcduck-style.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Didn't whoever bought yoyo games try some poo poo with the existing perpetual export licences

E: god I forgot it was Opera that bought them
They removed the ability to purchase perpetual licenses. They also briefly experimented with gating new features to subscribers, but got shouted at until they relented.

Kanos posted:

It also serves as DRM(notably significantly less terrible than virtually all other DRM choices)

kirbysuperstar posted:

Significantly less effective, almost to the point of wondering why it exists, also
By Valve's own admission the Steamworks DRM stuff is more for ensuring players are properly logged into online services, and only prevents "extremely casual piracy".

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah that's my point. They have no drm whatsoever and are trivial to pirate (just zip up the files and send them to a friend! or upload online) yet BG3 still sold gangbusters and made enough money to go swimming in gold coins scrooge mcduck-style.

Oh okay I completely misunderstood your initial phrasing, my bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Kins posted:

By Valve's own admission the Steamworks DRM stuff is more for ensuring players are properly logged into online services, and only prevents "extremely casual piracy".

This is true, but preventing extremely casual piracy is the entire point of most DRM solutions. Other common DRM services like Denuvo and SecuROM typically don't hold up to dedicated pirates attempting to crack them either, but are far more invasive and frequently involve performance degradation for legitimate users.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
denuvo is the one that's famous for actually yes holding up, there are only like 2 active crackers on earth who can currently deal with it. one is a megalomaniac who embeds weird transphobic rants in all her cracks and the other lives in a cave 364 days a year and only comes out when the latest Football Manager game releases.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

njsykora posted:

Convenience matters most, and having all your games handled by Steam is very convenient.
I think a not-insignificant part about this is how annoying it is to have games "handled" by multiple Steam clones all trying to run at once. It really isn't that inconvenient to just launch stuff out of the Start menu or desktop or whatever if it has a thin launcher that just self-updates the game and disappears. It is less convenient when everything insists on opening its own Electron shitware that randomly break apps from other vendors with their broken overlays.

Kanos posted:

This is true, but preventing extremely casual piracy is the entire point of most DRM solutions. Other common DRM services like Denuvo and SecuROM typically don't hold up to dedicated pirates attempting to crack them either, but are far more invasive and frequently involve performance degradation for legitimate users.
I just assume that all of the "performance degradation" complaints about Denuvo are fake bullshit from cranky pirates. Doom Eternal ran Denuvo and had basically no perf issues at all.

I have yet to see a single shred of evidence that Denuvo actually has a negative performance impact, or any evidence that in any game with performance problems, that the thing causing the performance problems is Denuvo.

Maybe there are one or two that did something stupid that I'm not aware of, but 99% of the time it's just "it's running slow, it must be Denuvo" when something like shader/PSO mismanagement is like 1000x as likely.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 16, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

denuvo is the one that's famous for actually yes holding up, there are only like 2 active crackers on earth who can currently deal with it. one is a megalomaniac who embeds weird transphobic rants in all her cracks and the other lives in a cave 364 days a year and only comes out when the latest Football Manager game releases.

God bless the second guy and also go away EMPRESS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

God bless the second guy and also go away EMPRESS

Orv
May 4, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

Maybe there are one or two that did something stupid that I'm not aware of, but 99% of the time it's just "it's running slow, it must be Denuvo" when something like shader/PSO mismanagement is like 1000x as likely.

While I generally agree that DRM and anti-cheat complaints tend to be pretty off-base most of the time, Denuvo has had performance impact in quite a few more than a couple games. It seems to primarily be an issue of dev side implementation, where sloppy or poorly done Denuvo integration can absolutely wreck performance. If that doesn’t happen it tends to be a couple or a few FPS at most but that’s still something that you would prefer at none.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

I just assume that all of the "performance degradation" complaints about Denuvo are fake bullshit from cranky pirates. Doom Eternal ran Denuvo and had basically no perf issues at all.

I have yet to see a single shred of evidence that Denuvo actually has a negative performance impact, or any evidence that in any game with performance problems, that the thing causing the performance problems is Denuvo.

It's a lot more than cranky pirates. From personal experience, Rage 2 ran like complete dogshit for me prior to their (extremely rapid because it got cracked) Denuvo removal, after which it ran at locked 60.

It's definitely frequently blamed the moment a game has bad performance and Denuvo regardless of whether or not Denuvo is causing it, but just because some people falsely accuse it doesn't mean it hasn't actually caused problems.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

with that kind of DRM it's up to the game developer to annotate which parts of the binary are allowed to be mangled by the protection, and those sections will run slower so it's a balancing act of mangling as much code as they can get away with while touching as little as possible on the performance critical path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do people who normally pirate games run out and buy it whenever the DRM ends up too strong to crack? Considering the cost of buying the license and adding it to the game, does it even make up for that in more sales?