Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't think I've used Wyll once but I appreciate having a relatively straightforward personality amidst a gaggle of super special freaks. Like in a party where two separate people have had their hearts replaced with magical bombs by divine/infernal magic it's okay if one guy is a little dull

I kind of enjoy the concept behind changing up the classic paladin trope character with "what if infernal pact instead?", but he's just kind of boring to have around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wyll was pretty decent to play as for the origin because that way you get to engage with his story and get bullied by his hot demon girlfriend personally

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i did it. i am done. :woop: oh, and Gale broke up with me to become a god, i guess... whatever, his loss. stupid wizard!

(oh god, 171 hours played. lmao.)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cubone posted:

none of them have personalities, they just have backstories

Honestly it might just be the great acting and mocap, but I've found most of the characters really engaging, and usually in these games I hate them and replace them with custom characters as soon as possible

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

i did it. i am done. :woop: oh, and Gale broke up with me to become a god, i guess... whatever, his loss. stupid wizard!

(oh god, 171 hours played. lmao.)

Pussy.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I like Lae'zel and evil milf and nice milf, and Astarion and Shadowfart have grown on me. Karlach is aight...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Karlach is a little flat but she's an absolute blast in combat. I gave her tavern brawler and the gloves + ring that enhance throwing and she now just kills enemies by throwing them into each other. Seriously tempted to do a four barbarian run.

I still kind of hate Asterion for being too annoying, Gale has grown on me since he seems to turn down the wisecracking sarcasm and stops eating your shoes after an irritating first few hours

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 15, 2023

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Honestly it might just be the great acting and mocap, but I've found most of the characters really engaging, and usually in these games I hate them and replace them with custom characters as soon as possible

Yea I’ve been surprised by how frequently some little mocap flourish on a line of dialogue will make the entire exchange feel real. Even random goblins have verisimilitude to them. Very easy to get into the RP mindset

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wyll is incredibly boring and probably deserves to be stuck in hell

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Karlach is a little flat but she's an absolute blast in combat. I gave her tavern brawler and the gloves + ring that enhance throwing and she now just kills enemies by throwing them into each other.

I just did this in the last light kidnap fight which was set up narratively to be hard, but Karlach just picked up the main guy and threw him into the mobs over and over until everyone died. I prefer Laezel but I’m benching her after doing the crèche.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Yea I’ve been surprised by how frequently some little mocap flourish on a line of dialogue will make the entire exchange feel real. Even random goblins have verisimilitude to them. Very easy to get into the RP mindset

The goblin at the windmill sticks out for this, as well as the prisoner in the Druid grove. The goblins kick rear end and I’ll definitely do a psycho absolutist run one day.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The goblin camp is what I think the imp loft would be like.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i loved having Karlach in my party, especially her combat lines... CRY ABOUT IT! throwing people around, into each other, and off cliffs. it was so satisfying and brutal.

also this:

Mekchu posted:

wyll is incredibly boring and probably deserves to be stuck in hell

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The goblin at the windmill sticks out for this, as well as the prisoner in the Druid grove. The goblins kick rear end and I’ll definitely do a psycho absolutist run one day.

Windmill goblin and his Saul Goodman esque hand gestures when he’s begging for his life is who I thought of too. There’s a bit of reddit here and there but overall the game brings the funny imo.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my karlach ending where she ends up dying due to her heart, but she was surrounded by her friends was far more meaningful to me than any of the other companions' endings. she saved the world and god did she enjoy the journey to do so.

she ruled and i loved having her and my monk pal around beating up people without caring about the consequences.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lae’zel >> Shadowheart > Gale > Karlach > Astarion >>>>> Wyll imo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Lae’zel >> Shadowheart > Gale > Karlach > Astarion >>>>> Wyll imo.

drop gale below karlach and thats probably me

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Those are Act I impressions and subject to change.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Those are Act I impressions and subject to change.

dame lol. takin it real slow

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I’ve been splitting my time between this play thru and a Bro op one which has been extremely fun. And some other games. You know how it is.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Mekchu posted:

my karlach ending where she ends up dying due to her heart, but she was surrounded by her friends was far more meaningful to me than any of the other companions' endings. she saved the world and god did she enjoy the journey to do so.

she ruled and i loved having her and my monk pal around beating up people without caring about the consequences.

for the end with Karlach, i (ending spoiler, warning!) saved her by turning her into an illithid at the end. i cried during her freak out after killing gortash, hit me right in my heart. i just wanted to do anything to save her... :(

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pragmatica posted:

for the end with Karlach, i (ending spoiler, warning!) saving her by turning her into an illithid at the end. i cried during her freak out after killing gortash, hit me right in my heart. i just wanted to do anything to save her... :(

bro you destroyed her soul when you did that

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah there's one other ending for karlach but it's kind of a cop out imo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pragmatica posted:

for the end with Karlach, i (ending spoiler, warning!) saved her by turning her into an illithid at the end. i cried during her freak out after killing gortash, hit me right in my heart. i just wanted to do anything to save her... :(

yeah i really was tempted to go that route myself but then thought no, i've got to take on the ilithid poo poo myself. then when the world was saved my character killed himself before he went evil mode.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

bro you destroyed her soul when you did that

Mekchu posted:

yeah i really was tempted to go that route myself but then thought no, i've got to take on the ilithid poo poo myself. then when the world was saved my character killed himself before he went evil mode.

i know... ughhh!

:negative:

edit: also, i thought i would get an achievement for not using any of the parasite upgrade/skill things, but i guess not? seems like it must not matter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pragmatica posted:

i know... ughhh!

:negative:

edit: also, i thought i would get an achievement for not using any of the parasite upgrade/skill things, but i guess not? seems like it must not matter.

That doesn't seem to matter at all. I just got the astral tadpole and am using it on anyone either happy to take it (Gale, although for some reason his persuasion check was much higher than others' when he was happy to take it?) or weird looking enough that it doesn't make them look gross (Karlach). That free flying is too good to pass up

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Nutmeg posted:

seeing lae'zel's pussy made me laugh really hard

Rereadingthe first half of the thread and lmfao

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's possible I just haven't played enough

they just all got on my nerves when the annoying one ate my gloves and camp afterward was one Forspoken Girl after another going "umm, WOW, did that just happen? he actually just absorbed a magical item? wow. did I really see that? he absorbed it? that's a thing that can happen now? so I guess we live in a world where THAT can be a thing that hapoen now.."
I actually got mad and said "you are loving CRINGE" out loud to my monitor, which was turned on and there were no reflective surfaces in the room and my webcam was off

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cubone posted:

they just all got on my nerves when the annoying one ate my gloves and camp afterward was one Forspoken Girl after another going "umm, WOW, did that just happen? he actually just absorbed a magical item? wow. did I really see that? he absorbed it? that's a thing that can happen now? so I guess we live in a world where THAT can be a thing that hapoen now.."
I actually got mad and said "you are loving CRINGE" out loud to my monitor, which was turned on and there were no reflective surfaces in the room and my webcam was off

I usually have a low tolerance for that sort of thing but didn't really get it here, maybe it's me. For some reason Larian writing has never bothered me the way it does a lot of people even when it's been at its worst (OS1)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cubone posted:

I don't think this happens.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cubone posted:

what are you talking about lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Lnfao I think about that phrase all the time.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
ALRIGHT EVERYBODY JUST BACK OFF AND LET ME THINK *waving gun around*

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I've started a few different charactersbecause I have a sickness about these kinds of games and it's so sweet how much it feels like they've managed to allow whatever motivates your RP to blossom into actual godliness or whatever, and most parts of the gameplay don't outstay their welcome. Lord Larian has done it again.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I've started a few different charactersbecause I have a sickness about these kinds of games and it's so sweet how much it feels like they've managed to allow whatever motivates your RP to blossom into actual godliness or whatever, and most parts of the gameplay don't outstay their welcome. Lord Larian has done it again.

Barely know wtf you’re talking about but totally agree.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Same here. I finished Skyrim once and have 500 hours because I kept restarting to make new characters. I’ve made like 10 characters in this but I’m sticking with a redemptive dark urge bard.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wish pillars of eternity made me feel like this but there’s something annoying about the way it’s made. Like it’s made for dudes that care more about stats than rping or something I can’t put my finger on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wish pillars of eternity made me feel like this but there’s something annoying about the way it’s made. Like it’s made for dudes that care more about stats than rping or something I can’t put my finger on.

Pillars feels completely uninspired although 2 is a big improvement. Sawyer is on record saying that he didn't really want to make it the way it is but the Kickstarter pitched it as a spiritual sequel to Baldurs gate 2 so they feel obliged to keep doing lovely real time combat etc.