Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

If you can't synthesize anything past rank F, you won't keep your levels or skillsets, and you can't even try to get one of the 'minibosses' stalking the early areas, it kinda makes me wonder why they would even bother letting the demo progress carry over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

serefin99 posted:

If you can't synthesize anything past rank F, you won't keep your levels or skillsets, and you can't even try to get one of the 'minibosses' stalking the early areas, it kinda makes me wonder why they would even bother letting the demo progress carry over.

I think you can get the mini bosses, you just have to beat them before you can scout them. Of course, this is what the game itself said, it didn't give any mention to if the scouting was locked out (once you beat the monster) of the demo version.

It should be very possible to beat them with a team of G and F monsters. You'd just need level 15+ monsters that have been synthed 4 or 5 times over and it shouldn't be too hard. That's still probably a couple of hours of grinding i'd rather not do if I can't really keep monsters from the demo in the full version.

You could probably also use a strat of high defense monsters with buff spells and do it without much trouble.

edit: referenced some Japanese streamers playing. You can't scout the mini-bosses even after you beat them in the demo. So there is no real reason to try other than to challenge yourself.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 16, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

serefin99 posted:

It really does make me wonder what exactly carries over other than your inventory and the G-F rank monsters you've collected so far, which I'm guessing will be set to level whatever. Unless it's a case of "your demo loads into the full game and you start from the beginning but with level 1 versions of everything from the demo in your monster storage" or something else like that, which would be a bit annoying tbh.

Maybe the base stats of your monsters carry over, so if you're like me and have a team of synth'd monsters who had a bunch of stats at level 1 they'd at least keep those and not be equal to a level 1 monster you scouted in the wild.

BabyRyoga posted:

I think you can get the mini bosses, you just have to beat them before you can scout them. Of course, this is what the game itself said, it didn't give any mention to if the scouting was locked out (once you beat the monster) of the demo version.

It should be very possible to beat them with a team of G and F monsters. You'd just need level 15+ monsters that have been synthed 4 or 5 times over and it shouldn't be too hard. That's still probably a couple of hours of grinding i'd rather not do if I can't really keep monsters from the demo in the full version.

You could probably also use a strat of high defense monsters with buff spells and do it without much trouble.

edit: referenced some Japanese streamers playing. You can't scout the mini-bosses even after you beat them in the demo. So there is no real reason to try other than to challenge yourself.

Cyclops can be killed with Whack (though it's a low success rate) and gives about 1300xp so if you feel like fighting the RNG you could farm them for XP. Sleep, Paralyze, confuse, etc might work too. Though after getting the upgraded breath skill and unlocking the 3rd tier aoe (inferno, blessed breath, etc) which can hit for 80-100 damage, it's probably just faster to go around one-shotting enemy groups in the last area of the demo than to try and grind the cyclops. The Martyr skillset gives Whack as its first skill too, while it's normally 50+ points deep in to other skillsets, like the one Shadows come with. There was a reddit post that said the green dragon has a ring of strength (_10 atk) as a rare drop so I guess that's something you could grind too if they carry over. :shrug:

At the start of the demo, not-Watabou mentioned that monsters will sometimes off to join you after the fight ends. Has anyone actually seen this happen in the demo yet? Because I've killed a lot of poo poo and never saw it happen.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 17, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

At the start of the demo, not-Watabou mentioned that monsters will sometimes off to join you after the fight ends. Has anyone actually seen this happen in the demo yet? Because I've killed a lot of poo poo and never saw it happen.

Yeah, I had it happen probably 5 or 6 times in the 4 hours I played the demo for. Makes me wonder if you can get one of the minibosses to join you in that manner, since scout is disabled.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Yeah maybe an hour after I posted I went in the game to mess around some more and had 2 enemies offer to join.

It seems like the green dragon is easier to hit with Whack than the cyclops, or I've just been getting lucky. It's also about 2k xp so I imagine the right team could grind out a bunch of xp on it, not that there's much point to it unless you want to clear as many arena ranks as demo allows for.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah maybe an hour after I posted I went in the game to mess around some more and had 2 enemies offer to join.

It seems like the green dragon is easier to hit with Whack than the cyclops, or I've just been getting lucky. It's also about 2k xp so I imagine the right team could grind out a bunch of xp on it, not that there's much point to it unless you want to clear as many arena ranks as demo allows for.

I cleared all of the arenas with like level 10ish monsters that had been synthed 2 or 3 times. They aren't really tough at all

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Started playing XIS, good to be back into the world. I'd almost forgotten how impressive some of the areas are. Finally got to Puerto Valor and my god is Slime Slots the most inscrutable instruction set I've ever seen. I read the whole manual and understood less than zero of it.

My only other issue is how slow the battles in Tickington is. Partially my fault I suppose for having everything in the actual game set to as fast as possible and auto mode, but the cool nostalgic quests get dragged down a lot when you spend most of them in the world's slowest battle.

I wonder if I'm alone in this. But I liked 8 only having four party members, I like all the party enough that having to bench someone always feels bad. Like, sorry Syl but you gotta warm the bench, I used you last time and it's Jade's turn now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pachislots are still basically pachinko. lots of stuff is always happening on the screen that makes it seem like a video game, but it's not really interactive.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One cute thing I found, The Dancer in Lonalulu has a crush on Kai. She starts off being all Tsundere because he's such a loner, but she gets worried about him after the Squid is defeated, and then after everything goes down with the Mermaid she's outside his house straight telling you she can't get him out of her mind.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Closing in on 50 hours into dq7 and i dont think i've got a single monster heart drop. I see why people warned me off it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Are you playing the PS1 version? If so my condolences.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just bought Infinity Strash, it's downloading now.

Hope it's good lol

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I kinda regret playing the DQM3 demo because it doesn't come out for 2 more months and I really want to sit down and play it. Only default(?) version of your monsters carry over too so there's no real reason to grind up some advanced skill sets or even to synth and get yourself a stronger base version of a monster. With how little carries over I imagine it means if you played the demo you can just start a new game with your selected team of level 1 G-F grade monsters.

Hopefully they work on the game's performance some more because it definitely felt rough at times. I know not everyone can be Monolith Soft but a game with much smaller and less detailed landscapes should not run so much worse than XBC3 (or BotW/TotK) does.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I was midway through the opening cutscene of dq11 when it crashed and told me add-ons were corrupted. I got it back up and it seems to be working now but i hope that's not a recurring issue

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've really been enjoying Infinity Strash but it is more of an interactive manga with voice acting, and occasional boss fights, than a game.

I think this is only enjoyable if you haven't already watched the anime.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Strash is a great word

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know I think DQXI coulda really used a climactic fight at the end of act 1. As it is it ends very anticlimacticlly with Jasper and Demonguy beating everyone and then leading into the scenarios really brakes the pacing. Kinda sucks because once you get back to the assault on Nautica, The Last Bastion, and Angri-la stuff it finds it's footing back quite quickly.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Meowywitch posted:

Strash is a great word

hard disagree

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

You know I think DQXI coulda really used a climactic fight at the end of act 1. As it is it ends very anticlimacticlly with Jasper and Demonguy beating everyone and then leading into the scenarios really brakes the pacing. Kinda sucks because once you get back to the assault on Nautica, The Last Bastion, and Angri-la stuff it finds it's footing back quite quickly.

I did prefer the pacing of the original version. No scenarios, just straight to hero.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wave slash cut the sea
Earth slash cut the land
Air slash cut the unseen

And the ultimate attack, combining all three, Avant Strash

I think the tr replacing the l comes from three? For the three slashes it combines.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
flaizzard is such a good design

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

After playing the DQM3 demo I made the mistake of firing up Joker 3 professional and goddamn there is a lot to that game (over 700 monsters while I think DQM3 will be around 500). I bought and played through Joker 3 a few years ago but professional apparently adds more store, a shitload of additional monsters that I can't get without directly hacking them in, including several characters from Dragon Quest Dai because the game and anime had a collab apparently.

I'm annoyed that the DQM3 DLC includes a dungeon mechanic that the DQM2 3D remake had, where you could run a dungeon to target monsters you already befriended, because it is an insanely good time-saver and something I'll buy because it saves you so much time and synth repetition.

And it'll have areas where you only encounter large or small sized monsters which seems like a godsend because I' tried to find large monsters in the demo in the 2nd area and gave up after an hour of finding none (lots of extremely large "small" monsters though).

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wave slash cut the sea
Earth slash cut the land
Air slash cut the unseen

And the ultimate attack, combining all three, Avant Strash

I think the tr replacing the l comes from three? For the three slashes it combines.

I think it's supposed to be a combination of Strike and Slash as well?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

After playing the DQM3 demo I made the mistake of firing up Joker 3 professional and goddamn there is a lot to that game (over 700 monsters while I think DQM3 will be around 500). I bought and played through Joker 3 a few years ago but professional apparently adds more store, a shitload of additional monsters that I can't get without directly hacking them in, including several characters from Dragon Quest Dai because the game and anime had a collab apparently.

I'm annoyed that the DQM3 DLC includes a dungeon mechanic that the DQM2 3D remake had, where you could run a dungeon to target monsters you already befriended, because it is an insanely good time-saver and something I'll buy because it saves you so much time and synth repetition.

And it'll have areas where you only encounter large or small sized monsters which seems like a godsend because I' tried to find large monsters in the demo in the 2nd area and gave up after an hour of finding none (lots of extremely large "small" monsters though).

Mole Hole (which is DLC for DQM3 apparently) is also a joker 3 pro post-game daily dungeon. Definitely feels like they are version-upping the last DQM game which is a good thing generally. I just wonder why it took them almost 8 years to do it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil Fluffy posted:

Well what the gently caress is a Scryde

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's when you SCRY with your orb while driving and colliDE with someone else

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

HPanda posted:

I did prefer the pacing of the original version. No scenarios, just straight to hero.

Beating up Booga's girlfriend as Jade is pretty funny though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would be better for the interludes to appear around the time you encounter the respective characters, I feel.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

It would be better for the interludes to appear around the time you encounter the respective characters, I feel.

I would agree. Would be even better if later ones started treating it like Call of Juarez Gunslinger and adding commentary on what they thought happened at parts of the story.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Mole Hole (which is DLC for DQM3 apparently) is also a joker 3 pro post-game daily dungeon. Definitely feels like they are version-upping the last DQM game which is a good thing generally. I just wonder why it took them almost 8 years to do it.

The 8 year gap is probably due in part to them turning their prior DQM game into DQ Treasures.

Mole Hole better not be daily in DQM3 since it's :10bux: and not just part of the game. I think it was farmable in DQM2 3D as well but I haven't played that for a while so I might be mistaken.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kirbysuperstar posted:

flaizzard is such a good design

He really is.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

The 8 year gap is probably due in part to them turning their prior DQM game into DQ Treasures.

Mole Hole better not be daily in DQM3 since it's :10bux: and not just part of the game. I think it was farmable in DQM2 3D as well but I haven't played that for a while so I might be mistaken.

It's still kinda weird when Treasures only came out last year. There should have been a Switch DQM game in either 2018 or 2019, which is before the cycle was even disrupted by Covid. I guess there was some sort of reluctance or hardship working with the Switch out of the gate.

I just looked up what the Mole Hole actually is, and it seems like it has a different function than it did in j3 pro, which was a dungeon with mole monsters (and bosses) that changed abilities and stats every day. DQM2 had the maps that let you re-scout monsters, and j3 pro let you instantly clone monsters you scouted or fused at least once using wi-fi battle reward tokens.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

well when two men who hate each other very much start screaming and fighting and screaming it causes an earthquake.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I think it might've been best to make them all optional with substantial rewards. Either all at once or piecemeal they feel awkward.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was huge into DQ3 as a lad - I thought that it made Final Fantasy 1 look amateurish, but I know nothing about any of the spin-offs. That said, is the DQ3 remake vapourware at this point? Come to think of it, can one say the same thing for DQ12?

Shugojin posted:

It's when you SCRY with your orb while driving and colliDE with someone else

So it's like texting while driving for wizards?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

I was huge into DQ3 as a lad - I thought that it made Final Fantasy 1 look amateurish, but I know nothing about any of the spin-offs. That said, is the DQ3 remake vapourware at this point? Come to think of it, can one say the same thing for DQ12?

They said it's being worked on with no real eta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

So it's like texting while driving for wizards?

According to recent interviews it is still coming.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I liked what I played of the DQM demo, though some parts of the beginning feel like there were entire scenes missing. What I should do is explore the town a bit more before going to the shop and kick things off.

Speaking of DQM, do the 3DS games have translation patches? I may as hack my 3DS or get one for hacking at this point.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Games take a long time to make. Dragon Quest in particular they have a tendency to announce at the start of development, whereas most games are announced much later. But they do that because Yuji Horii is very unlikely to cancel a Dragon Quest game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Unlucky7 posted:

I liked what I played of the DQM demo, though some parts of the beginning feel like there were entire scenes missing. What I should do is explore the town a bit more before going to the shop and kick things off.

Speaking of DQM, do the 3DS games have translation patches? I may as hack my 3DS or get one for hacking at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I liked what I played of the DQM demo, though some parts of the beginning feel like there were entire scenes missing.

I've seen a lot of this sentiment and yeah it definitely feels like they cut out scenes that weren't directly tied to the gameplay in the demo. So you got cutscenes like when you first pick your monster and when the tower gets built, as well as the couple of cutscenes after arena fights, but then a few spots where it felt like there should've been some info of some kind it just didn't have anything.

I'm hoping a lot of the roughness was just due to them deciding to cut together a short demo for people because making a competent DQM that sells well outside of Japan would be a huge boost for the series. Especially since Joker 3 and DQM2 3D were both really drat good.

There's also a translation for Joker 3 Professional (there's not much, if any, reason to play Joker 3 over Joker 3 pro). 3 pro adds a bunch of extra content, monsters, and QoL mechanics as well as a "just skip me ahead" option if you've played the game and want to move along but a new player can and should just ignore that function and play the game like normal.