Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Scarabrae posted:

Timothee Chalomet bloodbourne mod

that's exactly why i'm excited. chalomet :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lotta indie souls games think you just need hard hitting damage spong enemies and slow player attacks. That and they want you to fight everything whereas fromsoft let's you run past everyone.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

delayed attacking/dodging, I can never tell if it's an intentional decision or if it's bad game design and I'm allowed to be pissed off at it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I guess there's a lot of breadcrumbs like this in the early game that only make sense on the 2nd playthrough.

Like you can ask this random TA guy on mars about the weirdest thing he saw

And it turns out that someone smuggled those drug fish from Neon through there.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Chinese game devs have been throwin heaters lately gd

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Popy posted:

Chinese game devs have been throwin heaters lately gd

What're you playing? Been on the lookout for studios out of China for exactly this reason, last one I played was Afterimage and it was great

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chairman Xi, my people desire more open world RPGs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the Xbox replies btw. Been thinking of getting a Series S but without Game Pass (not available in my region, only PC pass) it doesn't seem worth it if I have to rebuild a library from scratch.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Series S is strictly for gamepass

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Popy posted:

paradox wont rest until they have games covering all of human history
all of pre-history as well it seems

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

you start in the Middle Pleistocene and have to beat out naledi, erectus, habilis, and neanderthals
finally a paradox game where they can let genocide be part of the core gameplay

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lies of P(iss tape)

yup

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thank you for the Xbox replies btw. Been thinking of getting a Series S but without Game Pass (not available in my region, only PC pass) it doesn't seem worth it if I have to rebuild a library from scratch.
yeah that's a HARD pass imo

better off just having a good PC and streaming it to your TV or something instead over Moonlight or Steam streaming

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

better off chucking two stones together by the shore

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Somebody needs to make a ranking of all the Soulsborne clones so I can decide which ones to play and which ones to skip

Like there's Grime, Blasphemous 1 and 2, Lies of P, the Salt and Sanctuary games, Lords of the Fallen, Nioh 1 and 2, Wo Long, etc.

I played a little bit of S&S1 and got stuck at a certain point so I quit, and I played the beginning of Grime

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Yossarian-22 posted:

Somebody needs to make a ranking of all the Soulsborne clones so I can decide which ones to play and which ones to skip

Like there's Grime, Blasphemous 1 and 2, Lies of P, the Salt and Sanctuary games, Lords of the Fallen, Nioh 1 and 2, Wo Long, etc.

I played a little bit of S&S1 and got stuck at a certain point so I quit, and I played the beginning of Grime
GRIME is absolutely loving amazing. It's not even a souls-clone at all imo, it's more a metroidy game with some meaty combat (but not slow). my favorite new-metroidvania after Hollow Knight, easily. It's a tiny bit slow to start but man, it goes off the rails (in a good way) very quickly.

i think you are confusing genres big time. Blasphemous is likewise really a pretty typical bog-standard metroidvania. Metroidvania games != souls-like even if there's a not-bonfire/not-estus mechanic. i think some people just say "oh this has a not-bonfire mechanic, ergo, it's a souls-like" which is not relevant nor informative, but i also get that gamers are dumb as hell so they just see a corpse run or bonfire and make a soyjack face going 'wow soulslike!'

e: imo nioh 1/wo long sucked rear end but loads of Gamers love them, so I'm willing to acknowledge i'm a very small minority in that opinion. The Surge 2 was pretty fun to play though, would rec that if you like fun combat and solid array of fun weapons and customizing traits.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Sep 16, 2023

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Xaris posted:

I didn't include Remnant games because imo they're more like RNG instanced co-op arena-lite rooting-tootin-lootin schlooter games (or whatever the latest Games buzzword is de jour). like really they're fun for co-op schlooting than an actual soulsy game and actually kinda boring in single-player.

but ok I guess there are a couple more than i thought. i completely agree they're hard to do well but I also don't exactly feel it's been a trend that's been heavily bandwagoned? certainly some have tried and flopped landing face first into the sewer but it's really minute compared to the 100+ games that come out every day.

there's a guy on youtube who makes videos showing off indie/midbudget soulslikes. he does 5-15 games each video. it is currently a 21 video series.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yossarian-22 posted:

Don't forget Hellpoint, Mortal Shell, and The Surge

I'm terrible at these games but I thought Mortal Shell was great

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i was waiting on Grime until they put it on switch which they seem to be doing soon. also they're making a Grime 2.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

uber_stoat posted:

also they're making a Grime 2.
I think i might be more stoked for this than Silksong tbh

if only because silksong will only come out after barkley 2 (c. 2050-something) whereas i can conceivably be playing grime 2 by 2025.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll be the voice of dissent on the Series S, it's a fantastic machine that's basically a Series X so long as you don't want more than 1440p max or 1080p regular. It's frequently bundled with a free game and is a perfectly serviceable GamePass and discounted indie pickup machine. I'm super happy with mine and 90% of what I've played on it is Elden Ring, and also it comes with the best PC gaming controller included. It doesn't have a disc drive which sucks, but it's whisper quiet which I appreciate more after getting a PS4 for free

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Salt and Sanctuary was fun, a lot going on it in and it captured a lot of what I liked about DS1 specifically despite being a bit linear for the most part. I'm not sure what my favorite Souls-inspired game is, but Dysmantle is probably top 3. It's kind of a stretch I'll admit but it cribs a ton of mechanics and it makes up for where it diverges by being very singular and introducing "what if upgrading your weapon also meant you could knock down Undead Burg and use it to build a bunch of turrets and a lumber yard"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

this guy's ready to punch the emissary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTjyx-1ES4

e: lol he found a vendor with a chair thats close enough where you can sit in the chair and wait for his credits to refresh without moving

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Sep 16, 2023

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Games of 2023 from best to worst:

1. sekiro
2. baldur's gate 3
3. RE4MAKE
4. atomic heart
5.Jedi Survivor
6. tears of the kingdom
6.FF16

7. Diablo 4
9.starfield
10.armored core VI
10.elden ring
13.Pikmin 4

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Question for Xbox havers: do you buy whole games for it or do you just rely on the game pass?

my Xbox is pretty much a game pass machine, sometimes I’ll buy a game if it’s $10 or less and not on game pass.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I haven't played the full game because I'm not paying 20nzd for cosmetic costumes but the demo of Lies of P was fantastic and is the only non-From game I've played that actually pulled off the Souls gamefeel.

Scrapped Watchman was a fantastic boss too.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Agnostalgia posted:

there's a guy on youtube who makes videos showing off indie/midbudget soulslikes. he does 5-15 games each video. it is currently a 21 video series.

iron pineapple

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Trying to get into Grime. Loved the opening cinematic. Not sure about another grim ruined world offset by cute character design. Mechanics are competent but not fun. Edit: the bosses are fun.

snoremac has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Sep 16, 2023

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Had a good lol at balteus 2 electric boogaloo. it was a motherfucker but nothing close to the fires ending boss. Walter :smith:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
watched couple hours Lies of P streams: insanely mediocre

playing a multiclass Twink/Enby that moves like a 300 pound linebacker is p funny though

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

lol
https://x.com/KreidNG/status/1702666726821806206?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

this guy's ready to punch the emissary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTjyx-1ES4

e: lol he found a vendor with a chair thats close enough where you can sit in the chair and wait for his credits to refresh without moving

Which vendor? Asking for a friend.

Did they patch out magnets being the best way to gain XP?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Lies of P is mute (he is a puppett, obv), which means you get a robot ghost to talk for you in a cool robot voice

and then an NPC is like "ur ghostvoice is damaged, repair it" and it turns into a quirked up marvel guy :gonk:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
some one play starcraft 2 w me
or bw

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Lies of P is mute (he is a puppett, obv), which means you get a robot ghost to talk for you in a cool robot voice

and then an NPC is like "ur ghostvoice is damaged, repair it" and it turns into a quirked up marvel guy :gonk:

Lmao nice, a true own goal

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Code vein was really fun until the knockoff Anor Londo area that is the worst designed stage in a souls like I've ever played.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still mad about being half-illithid now

The Emperor was like "don't you want to be half illithid" and I was like "no (wis save dc 21, fail) I mean yes" and now my face is all hosed up like a dark side KOTOR run. This is supposed to be a good guy character :mad:

I did convince Karlach to do it too sort of by accident but that one's on me

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
"Quirked up marvel guy"

Whatever that means

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

loquacius posted:

Still mad about being half-illithid now

The Emperor was like "don't you want to be half illithid" and I was like "no (wis save dc 21, fail) I mean yes" and now my face is all hosed up like a dark side KOTOR run. This is supposed to be a good guy character :mad:

I did convince Karlach to do it too sort of by accident but that one's on me

yeah but at least you can use black hole

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Holy poo poo I won an F-Zero 99 race

Only took 100ish tries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah but at least you can use black hole

And being able to fly anywhere is great mobility.