Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I've never played battletech before, but I liked the minis. Dragon-Con's paint & take crew were offering invasion salvage boxes for $5 so I bit. I painted up this little guy knowing g nothing about anything, and I thought it looked cool so I entered into the competition they were running.

Well I won first place, and Catalyst was at the con and donated a whole pile of stuff to the event, and they gave it all to me.

A Game of Armored Combat
Battlemech Manual
Invasion Salvage display box
Grasslands Map pack and the paint set.

Tomorrow a couple friends are coming over, one of whom has played the game, I think? I also bought the beginner box so my girlfriend and I can internalize the movement and shooting before going in the deep end, but I think it should be fun. I printed a bunch of hex terrain for the box set maps and painted up the starter lances. I wish I had time to paint the Griffin and Vindicator but they only arrived today and the epoxy is only now set on their base magnets.

Anything I should know?

drat that’s a huge set, like $200 worth of poo poo. You’ll be set for a good long while playing with all of that. Post what u get from the blind boxes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't really see it as WYSIWYG and it's not something I would require or expect out of an opponent. If I have an Atlas, I don't mind fielding it as literally any variant of an Atlas, up to and including Atlas II and Atlas III designs. But if someone wanted to field an Atlas and only had a wine cork, that's absolutely fine.

The reason why I buy mechs, and I think this reason is universal because other people also seem to buy a variety of mech chassis and most people don't just play with bottlecaps, is because I like the way the mechs look and I like fielding them as the mechs they actually represent. But that's as far as I take it. It's not like if someone fields a Catapult variant with lasers instead of missile launchers I'll flip the table over if they get out the standard plastic model.

What I want is to be able to quickly build an Alpha Strike force without having to cross reference the MUL against my cabinet of curiosities. Like say I wanted to build a Fire Support lance, it would be nice to select "Fire Support" from a drop down menu and for this theoretic app to just autogenerate a list of potential mechs from a chassis database that I populated with all the mechs I own that met the various requirements for that formation type. Like I could spend a week and catalog all of my mechs, all of their variants, and the roles of all of their variants, but it would be nice if there was something automated to help. I know it's not likely to ever be a real product unless I learn to code for myself, which is also why I described it as magic in the first place.

The MUL is such a pain to parse if you're not already familiar with the variants. To find out what's the difference between eleventy billion versions of each mech you have to click between multiple entries and load up a card each time. Alpha strike stats are only a smidge more complex than 40k so I don't understand why they don't compile everything into a list view instead.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I like WYSIWYG because it's fun to say

Wizee wig

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Z the IVth posted:

The MUL is such a pain to parse if you're not already familiar with the variants. To find out what's the difference between eleventy billion versions of each mech you have to click between multiple entries and load up a card each time. Alpha strike stats are only a smidge more complex than 40k so I don't understand why they don't compile everything into a list view instead.

Exactly. Let's say I want to build a formation where Scout is the ideal role. That's easy enough because one of the MUL filters is "Scout". Now I've got potentially hundreds of mech entries that all qualify as Scouts. Well, ok, fine, now I have to go through and see if any of the mechs listed are of the chassis that I own. Cool, there are three different Hermes that count as Scouts, so now I need to open up each one individually and see what the stats are to see if I like that particularly variant. And that's just for one mech.

Even if I could just upload a list of mechs that I own to act as an additional filter that would be a huge improvement.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Anything I should know?
You're doomed now. Start clearing shelf space for your inevitable regiments.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I played Alpha Strike today. I cannot figure out what I'm supposed to do against mechs with 6 damage at long range and skill 3 or less.

This is a great photo though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Atlas Hugged posted:

I played Alpha Strike today. I cannot figure out what I'm supposed to do against mechs with 6 damage at long range and skill 3 or less.

Swarm em with lights

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Fast jumpers like the Spider, Assassin, or Exterminator. Jump from cover to cover to get into their rear arc and punish them for staying stationary.

If they can consistently attack you at long range you need more hills and other terrain in your play area to duck behind.

I don't know if you play with SPAs, but I also personally ban or "only one per side" the Terrain Master: Forest Ranger SPA. It's incredibly powerful (especially on already fast jumpers that can stay in the woods forever).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Be like Lando Calrissian, and Get Closer. Most things with 6 damage at long range will have less than that at medium, and potentially nothing at short range.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Take units that punish high damage by being just durable enough to take an extra hit. If your opponent has a lot of 6 damage attacks, bring things with 7 points or 13 points so they have to keep wasting damage to secure kills.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Don’t forget about sprinting or whatever it’s called. Makes the TMM higher too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A cheap light or medium 'Mech with just enough hardened armor to tank a hit wouldn't be terrible, either. Like the Rokurokubi or the Hammerhead.

But I'd still vote for a fast jumper, preferably one with a quirk or gimmick that makes it even harder to hit:
- The ASN-109 Assassin is a 14" jumper with stealth armor (enemies suffer a +1 ToHit at medium range, and +2 ToHit at long range).
- The bog standard SDR-5V Spider is a 16" jumper with nimble jumper (+1 TMM while jumping, but you suffer a +1 penalty ToHit while jumping).
- The rarely seen SDR-9K Venom has twice the Spider's short range damage (and an overheat value which lets you pop something in the back for up to 4 damage (plus the crit)) while keeping the Spider's nimble jumper quirk and 16" jump range at the cost of a little durability. It only costs 4 points more than the SDR-5V, too. 25 pv for a unit that sits at a +5 ToHit if you're playing with quirks (or a +4 ToHit if you're not) is pretty spicy.
- The very new SDR-9M Spider just flat out does 3 short range damage (so it does everything the Venom does without the overheating) and it's a bargain at 27 pv.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 13, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I am really glad for all the new artwork coming with the ilClan recognition guides. They capture the walking tank aesthetic far better than the older lineart, without overstepping into 'this was designed for a slow-paced stompy robot videogame' like the PGI designs.

Nice to finally have vehicle art by someone who knows what a tank looks like, too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

I am really glad for all the new artwork coming with the ilClan recognition guides. They capture the walking tank aesthetic far better than the older lineart, without overstepping into 'this was designed for a slow-paced stompy robot videogame' like the PGI designs.

Nice to finally have vehicle art by someone who knows what a tank looks like, too.

You sound like you have something against properly ventillated treads. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think it's a good fit for some things but the Star League having a different aesthetic went completely out the window, which makes me sad. I like that the designs were sleeker and the weapons were not as pronounced, it's a good piece of visual storytelling.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Bloody Pom posted:

Not emptyquoting

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Defiance Industries posted:

I think it's a good fit for some things but the Star League having a different aesthetic went completely out the window, which makes me sad. I like that the designs were sleeker and the weapons were not as pronounced, it's a good piece of visual storytelling.

I actually thought they've done a pretty good job maintaining this with the new designs: the Age of War/Succession Wars/TRO 3025 mechs are all pretty chunky and slab-sided while the Star League designs are a lot sleeker and curvier.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I just assume that all the artwork is valid and there are different vintages of each chassis. It's more fun that way.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, like people make jokes about the SU-57 just being a Flanker body kit already irl

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Arquinsiel posted:

I just assume that all the artwork is valid and there are different vintages of each chassis. It's more fun that way.

This would be nice for some of the Project Phoenix 'Mechs (even the PP Marauder could have looked great with slightly bulkier thighs and shins), but I'd prefer to unsee forget the look of designs like the original Black Python, thanks. Oh and also all those 'Mechs with their shoulders attached to their hips, like the original Nova/Black Hawk

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a lot of heartbreakers in the Phoenix stuff. Designs that could have looked great except for one weird mistake.

I will say that I have no such reservations about their Griffin, Goliath, Beemer and Thud, though. I got no complaints with any of those. I'd say even prefer the PP Goliath over any of the other looks it's had.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Locals are playing alpha strike, so i guess i'm getting into battletech. Oof.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gonna be playing BT all weekend long basically, and also finally. It’s been over a month since the last time I played. Looking to start maybe a monthly thing in Helsinki. There’s already one at a gaming store (that’s on Sunday) but one game day per month is too little. Tomorrow’s thing is organized by me and we’ll probably discuss ideas for future events. Also maybe I’ll just meet some cool people I can play with at home or whatever.

I seem to have promised two separate people that I’ll introduce them to the wonderful world of hexmap Alpha Strike. Experienced players but one hasn’t played AS at all and the other hasn’t played it on hexmaps. Guess we’ll do a threeway battle, then.

Excited to field my brand-new Hussar (Strato Minis Cuirassier, very nice model), which I used Speed Paints on for the first time. Jesus fuckin Christ why didn’t I just buy these paints right away when I got back in the hobby, they are the absolute best way to paint for me. Just needs a bit of extra highlighting at the end and I’m happy with the results.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 15, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

DFA in Alpha Strike causes an automatic critical hit should it connect.

Guess who killed a pristine fuckin Dire Wolf by jumping on its head with a broken rear end Wolverine for shits and giggles lol

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Played a Civil War Era game the other day, lots of fun but after crippling a Raven with an alpha-striking 7K Jenner in the first turn I couldn't roll well to save my life. I learned just how loving awesome LBX autocannons are when a Mauler with 2 LB-10Xs got some through-armor crits on my Battlemaster and broke both of its hips and its gyro so it laid prone the entire game trying to snipe stuff with its Gauss Rifle.

I loving love LBXs and large quantities of Streak SRMs

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 16, 2023

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

a cyborg mug posted:

DFA in Alpha Strike causes an automatic critical hit should it connect.

Guess who killed a pristine fuckin Dire Wolf by jumping on its head with a broken rear end Wolverine for shits and giggles lol

:perfect:

I need to get Alpha Strike on the table sometime soon.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like Alpha Strike and want to play it more but I can't tear myself away from the beautiful chaos of Classic

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We're still plugging away at learning the ins and outs of the game at our shop. Each game we learn something new about something we've missed or been playing wrong and it's been a lot of fun. We also took the thread advice and just have been building lists based on BV and it's been a lot of fun. Each game we try and field new equipment and/or weapons and we're consistently changing what mechs get used while we're still getting a feel for play style. Does anyone have a good video to help learn pilot skill rolls? That's pretty much our biggest struggle at the moment

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The trick with PSRs is just to make a short checklist of what causes them and keep it handy.

PSRs are most commonly caused by:
- A 'Mech taking 20+ points of damage in a single phase (a 'mech that takes 20 damage from guns and another 20 damage from melee has to make 2 PSRs!)
- Gyro damage
- Leg actuator damage
- Being kicked
- Missing a kick attack
- Entering any water hex (if you walk through 3 water hexes that's 3 PSRs, water sucks)
- Trying to avoid pilot damage after failing a PSR and falling
- Turning while running on pavement (I suggest houserule ignoring this one, it's a pain)
- Ice (I'm so glad the PSR penalty for ice has been toned down, touching ice used to be a death sentence)
- Other stuff I can't remember

And if your Mechwarrior suffers an injury, the consciousness test should be the first thing you roll in the end phase. The Mechwarrior falling unconscious doesn't trigger a PSR but if a unit with an unconscious Mechwarrior is forced to make a PSR it fails automatically (which means the second PSR to avoid an injury roll after falling also falls instantly).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Some small corrections there:

You roll PSRs by phase, not at the end of the turn, so it's entirely possible to knock a mech over to prevent it from making physical attacks.

Consciousness checks should be made immediately, a pilot that blacks out in the movement phase (by blowing MASC and failing a PSR, for example, but there are other ways) will be an immobile target and be -4 to hit in shooting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

AGOAC came with a real helpful sheet with all of those but it's the exact timing/amounts of rolls that get us

Say you have a mech that takes 20+ damage in the shooting phase, a gyro hit, and an actuator hit all in the shooting phase. The damage one I assume triggers at the end of the phase based on how it's only one roll for the whole phase but for the other two do you roll immediately or at the end of the phase? And if it's at the end of it one roll at PS+modifiers of all triggers or one roll per trigger ad PS+modifiers?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
With very few exceptions (the aforementioned MASC failure, most PSRs from terrain), all PSRs are done at the end of the phase. This is for a couple reasons (damage doesn't resolve until the end of the phrase) but the biggest impact on PSRs is that all of your PSRs are taken at a cumulative penalty, and you roll a PSR for each trigger.

So for your question, at the end of the phase you'd have to roll:

PSR for 20+ damage at target number Skill + 1 (20+ damage) + 3 (gyro) + 1 (assuming a lower actuator and not a hip which would be +2) = Skill + 5 (or a 10+ for a regular 4/5 pilot)
PSR for gyro hit at Skill + 5
PSR for actuator hit at Skill + 5

And you'd have to make all three consecutively. If any of them fail you can skip the rest and go straight to resolving the fall. The check to avoid pilot damage would be made at whatever TN you failed (in this case Skill + 5).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

The check to avoid pilot damage would be made at whatever TN you failed (in this case Skill + 5).

+1 per elevation fallen, minimum 1. So using your example, you'd roll the test to avoid pilot damage at Skill + 6

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 17, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Okay then we've definitely been doing those wrong, but that's something to keep in mind for our next game

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

+1 per elevation fallen, minimum 1. So using your example, you'd roll the test to avoid pilot damage at Skill + 6

Every level above one. The first one is free.

This basically only comes up with failed DFAs, being pushed off hills, and I guess technically if you fail the PSR for entering water two levels lower than you started. Maybe something similar for rubble? I'd file it under 'very uncommon'.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Every level above one. The first one is free.

Oh, that's actually a discrepancy between the PSR chart and the written rules on page 69.

The rules paragraph says "for each level above one" but the chart just says +1/level fallen and that 'mechs count as Height 1 (rather than their actual height of 2) for the purposes of a fall.

And then the rules example has a 'Mech making a height 0 fall, which isn't possible. :haw:

BMM's chart has the correct +1/level above 1. Teach me to use the quick-reference charts, I've been doing that wrong for years! :haw:

Ah, Total Warfare.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 17, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The most recent printing of Total Warfare has the correct text in the chart on page 60, but I absolutely would believe that it was wrong for a number of years/printings.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

And then the rules example has a 'Mech making a height 0 fall, which isn't possible. :haw:
It's counting the Mech's height, not the pilot's. Infantry making a height 2 fall from cockpit level just go splat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And I just thought it was trying to model the inertia for being on the moving end of a falling object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Someone post the BT classic rules for when your mech gets hit by a train