Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

thebardyspoon posted:

Sure, that I can get behind. It's where you start naming people you hope have done the bad thing and those people are all people you happen to not like that I find a bit off, personally.

I think there's a difference between:
I Don't like someone -> I hope they sexually assaulted people
Several people are going to be publicly accused of crimes they did -> I hope criminals happen to be people I don't like

Like, the first is the thing you're talking about, hoping that other people have been victimised so your dislike is justified. The second is hoping the blame for a thing that has already happened is correctly assigned to a particular person.

Especially if you already have suspicions about someone. There's long-standing rumours about a very well-known comedic actor whose associations with members of a pedophile ring have been effectively memory-holed by the media and entertainment industries, and when this sort of thing happens I hope that it'll be about him, not because I want there to be victims, but because I think he already has victims, and if they exist I want there to be justice for them before he dies and the news all comes spilling out like it did with Saville.

I doubt tonight's dispatches is going to be about him. Though it does look like I'm not the only one wondering who the biggest name might be:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
How shocked would we be if it turned out to be some one like Tim Vine or Harry Hill.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

stev posted:

Hey that's one of the few bits of non-scripted TV I actually still watch :(

All the panel shows are scripted

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

happyhippy posted:

How shocked would we be if it turned out to be some one like Tim Vine or Harry Hill.

If it’s harry hill I’ll be gutted but I really, properly cannot see it. By all accounts he’s a kind and thoughtful person, and also had a career before media which I generally take as a good sign.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

happyhippy posted:

Tim Vine I could believe being a nasty oval office IRL but don’t speak that evil about Harry

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The surviving Chuckle brother.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Trying posted:

Tim Vine I could believe being a nasty oval office IRL but don’t speak that evil about Harry

Nah, Tim Vine is so unfunny professionally, I suspect he's grateful for any attention he gets on and off screen.

Dave Gorman though is a bellend. Maybe he's mellowed over the years, or was having a bad day but he was an absolute primadonna about 20 years ago at a student union gig I worked at.

I vaguely recall he was trying to peddle some book or something to that effect, but hardly anyone turned up. He proper kicked off before and after to the staff with the whole don't you know who I am kinda stuff and blaming the staff for not selling the event right etc.

Right dickhead, though a different kind to the one probably on this dispatches thing.

Kin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 16, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Tim Vine is your dad joke quick pun comedian, but can be funny.
He once 'stole' Edinburgh Fringe by not even being there, by hiring billboards saying 'Tim Vine is not appearing at the Edinburgh Fringe this year'.

Milton Jones though, I can't stand.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

happyhippy posted:

Milton Jones though, I can't stand.

Him and Andy Parsons always dragged down Mock the Week even before the show became unbearable.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I thought there'd been another 20 pages of dog chat, now I wish it was. RIP Camrath, this is really sad

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1702996529919791113

:toot:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Lol, labour. Surprising fewer people than Russel Brands alleged noncing

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

stev posted:

Him and Andy Parsons always dragged down Mock the Week even before the show became unbearable.

Andy has his moments, but Milton did start the downfall of Mock the Week.
Children level puns and word play.
"And the category is....Holidays"
Milton: I was on holidays once, and a wasp landed beside me. It was unBEElivable.
*laugh track kicks in with dial set to 11 with crowd making GBS threads themselves, Dara gives forced pity laugh*

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I've noticed that kind of adjective usage a lot from politicians, like people will say "we will ban exploitative zero-hours contracts", leaving it wonderfully ambiguous whether they mean "we will ban all zero hours contracts, which by the way are exploitative" or "we will ban a specific kind of zero-hours contracts, which we call exploitative zero hours contracts". the interviewer never seems to call them up on which one they mean. I wonder if there's a fancy name for this kind of bullshitting

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bad news comrades theresa may is woke and therefore we most support her uncritically https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1702718083549319563

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
ah no i was saying "go, homo vans"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

The surviving Chuckle brother.

By all accounts I've seen he's a lovely chap

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

I was finally able to stand Andy but Milton is a no go... he's not even on my "listen to vid while i fall asleep list". :shrug:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

bad news comrades theresa may is woke and therefore we most support her uncritically https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1702718083549319563

May really does have her sights set on being the next “Good Tory” now that Rory has pissed on his chips by backing Jezza

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://archive.ph/NwmVQ

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's entirely unsurprising too

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know what's behind it, but all year now, my part of Birmingham has had people driving around at all hours of the day in loud, horrible-sounding cars that look like poo poo and backfire constantly. They do it at all hours of the day and night, any weather, it's like living near a nest of hornets armed with AK-47s. We've always had the occasional gang of assholes on quad bikes driving past, but this is new, and it's awful. I've noticed an uptick of flashy sports cars driven by assholes who lean on the horn any time they have to slow down a little bit and drive like cunts everywhere I go in the city, too. What the gently caress is going on? Is there anything I can do about it?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Angepain posted:

i was wondering what "the truth" was and then i took a look at the thumbnails of his most recent youtube videos which seems to be uh

gone down a bit of a rabbit hole has mr. brand

he's an enormous bimbo and been doing this shite for around 10 years now

he told his viewers not to vote for Labour in 2015 on his The Trues :smug: show, in fact he told them not to vote at all, then said afterwards when cameron got a majority and declared a referendum on leaving the EU that it was a bad idea of his

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So the story here is really just the super injunction?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I just really hope there's nothing about Sean Lock in there.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

crispix posted:

he told his viewers not to vote for Labour in 2015 on his The Trues :smug: show, in fact he told them not to vote at all, then said afterwards when cameron got a majority and declared a referendum on leaving the EU that it was a bad idea of his
Labour in 2015 had bigger problems than Russell Brand telling people not to vote. Besides, the most embarrassing thing in that exchange was Robert Webb penning an Guardian article attacking him and telling him to "read some loving Orwell".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

A heads up in case anyone would have trouble, there's a lot of very, very detailed description of sexual assault and rape in here. The guy is a loving monster.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So if it’s just gonna be going into detail on the times story it’s 90 minutes of telly on Russell Brand: Comedy’s Least Surprising Sex Pest

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

smellmycheese posted:

May really does have her sights set on being the next “Good Tory” now that Rory has pissed on his chips by backing Jezza

She was always the Home Counties Principled (thick and unimaginative rather than self interested and evil) kind of Tory. She got to be in charge of the immediate fallout of the Brexit vote and the Tory party tearing itself apart so that Boris could ride in and take the credit for “ending” (starting) that. It’s not surprising that she’s developing a couple of more normal human views the further she gets away from actual power.

She’ll be all for huntin’ shootin’ and fishin’, thinking the countryside is the real Britain and poor people are that way because they’re just too lazy. But still, first Tory leader since John Major who wasn’t actively malevolent.

E: sex pests - ever since Brand and Jonathan Ross called up Andrew Sachs to be vile it’s been obvious they weren’t just ordinary dickheads they were incredibly awful people.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 16, 2023

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

So if it’s just gonna be going into detail on the times story it’s 90 minutes of telly on Russell Brand: Comedy’s Least Surprising Sex Pest

"Sex pest" is very much minimising what he did, according to that article. The man's (allegedly) a violent rapist and borderline paedo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Beefeater1980 posted:

She was always the Home Counties Principled (thick and unimaginative rather than self interested and evil) kind of Tory. She got to be in charge of the immediate fallout of the Brexit vote and the Tory party tearing itself apart so that Boris could ride in and take the credit for “ending” (starting) that. It’s not surprising that she’s developing a couple of more normal human views the further she gets away from actual power.

She’ll be all for huntin’ shootin’ and fishin’, thinking the countryside is the real Britain and poor people are that way because they’re just too lazy. But still, first Tory leader since John Major who wasn’t actively malevolent.

Her rules about who gets to move their spouse here are directly responsible for my not being able to bring my boyfriend to the UK to live with me, and she blocked the Yarl's Wood investigation into rapes taking place there, IIRC, so she definitely was actively malevolent.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I'm guessing it'll be a show about that sort of thing with Brand being the main event. Maybe two or three others in there with less detail.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

HopperUK posted:

Her rules about who gets to move their spouse here are directly responsible for my not being able to bring my boyfriend to the UK to live with me, and she blocked the Yarl's Wood investigation into rapes taking place there, IIRC, so she definitely was actively malevolent.

Fair enough, I suppose anyone to have been Home Secretary as part of a Tory government has a baseline level of malevolence that never goes away. Also very sorry to hear about your bf.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Labour in 2015 had bigger problems than Russell Brand telling people not to vote. Besides, the most embarrassing thing in that exchange was Robert Webb penning an Guardian article attacking him and telling him to "read some loving Orwell".

Welcome to Tiny Train World, Winston.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like the Dispatches is just about Brand too:

https://twitter.com/louisa_compton/status/1703061347972313303

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tesseraction posted:

mystic crispix foresees tereezer skeksis leading the tories in opposition and attacking labour from the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://x.com/StevePowers_/status/1702769070884741598

lol

e: It didn't embed properly, so changed link to x.com and added the image below