Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Large Testicles posted:

I don’t always keep it nearby when I’m working on a project but if I know I’m gonna be dealing with something flammable or using something like a grinder or torch, gently caress yeah, it’s right next to me

Nothing will make you quite as aware of the exact location of your fire extinguisher at every moment as welding suspension components on a trailer full of straw bales cos you can’t unload it without fixing the suspension first…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ferremit posted:

Nothing will make you quite as aware of the exact location of your fire extinguisher at every moment as welding suspension components on a trailer full of straw bales cos you can’t unload it without fixing the suspension first…

Was there also someone throwing sawdust in the air?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah and they were doing whippets too

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Alright cool.
Lets fix car dependence for the 70% of the USA who do live in cities.

I assume that 70% includes the suburbs since it seems a lot of americans live around cities rather than in them? If so your choices are

1) destroy the suburbs and forcibly migrate everyone into the cities

2) try and reform suburbs into smaller communities that instead of endless residential areas, instead are "complete" units with their own local schools, stores and other amenities so that people simply don't have to travel so far, would make it easier to arrange public transport and reduce car reliance.

Either option seems unlikely to be honest.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
Sounds like you’re planning on doing a collectivism and/or improvement to society, which as we’ve seen with the cop city activists in Atlanta, will literally get you charged with terrorism in the US, now. Good luck!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Hockenheim posted:

Sounds like you’re planning on doing a collectivism and/or improvement to society, which as we’ve seen with the cop city activists in Atlanta, will literally get you charged with terrorism in the US, now. Good luck!

fun fact, no one has to live in georgia if they don't want to, it's literally not worth it but people still keep doing it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

His Divine Shadow posted:

I assume that 70% includes the suburbs since it seems a lot of americans live around cities rather than in them? If so your choices are

2) try and reform suburbs into smaller communities that instead of endless residential areas, instead are "complete" units with their own local schools, stores and other amenities so that people simply don't have to travel so far, would make it easier to arrange public transport and reduce car reliance.

Yes it does, the official number from the US Census is 80% in urbanized areas, but more distant exurbs, that still count as part of the urbanized areas by census definition, are around 10% of the population so I was cutting them out.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blogs/random-samplings/2022/12/redefining-urban-areas-following-2020-census.html

A 2018 pew research analysis of the census from 2012-2016 found 55% of people to live in suburbs, 31% in urban, and rest in rural.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2018/05/22/demographic-and-economic-trends-in-urban-suburban-and-rural-communities/

The definition for urbanized area is a little broad and there may be more localized city/county/state planning documents that define the spread of their population better but the gist of it is a large proportion of the US population lives in urbanized areas of varied density not very far from a city's urban core.

Car centric design, urban decay and neglect, decline of city public services, rising rents (and racism) caused and causes these suburbs to grow.

You improve on those points and people will migrate into more dense housing closer to their place of employment.

Nobody actually likes wasting several hours of their time a day on the road commuting and going about business, and as you can see from Just Rolled In and other similar videos many cant afford or have the time to maintain their car.

If you eliminiate car dependence for even a quarter of the population, with the extremely high percentage of car ownership that will be a quarter less cars on the road, with commensurate savings on fossil fuel and resource use and infrastructure building and maintenance, and improvements on QoL like less road accidents, better air quality, among other things.

Rather than being some kind of idealized american icon of freedom a car is an expensive ball and chain to many people.

Donoteat01's sadly discontinued series, Power, politics and planning delves into exactly these kinds of issues and why the USA's urban areas are the way they are.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

LifeSunDeath posted:

fun fact, no one has to live in georgia if they don't want to, it's literally not worth it but people still keep doing it.

Fun fact, not everyone can up and move on a whim

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We could also take a lot of cars off the road if you legislated that positions that can work remote should be allowed to work remote and end this office real estate welfare scam disguised as Return to Office.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Or did UBI to free up even more space on roads and transit during rush hour

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

This is bullshit for a few more reasons than what's immediately obvious.
It means that cars less than 25yo won't be maintained and thus they will have no fighting chance in hell at ever passing a safety inspection on their 25th birthday, this is effectively passing a bill to get older cars off the road.
Second, this disproportionately fucks the financially disadvantaged because all they can afford is older cars, so now they'll only be able to afford cars with a couple years left before they're going to the scrap yard. Cars will be worthless at 24.9 years old.

Don't get me wrong, safety inspections are a load of bullshit lobbied for by car dealers, but this is not the right approach.
If they want them to be about safety, check important poo poo like brake lines, fuel lines, tires, poo poo isn't loose. Why do i fail inspection for a rusty front fender?

Texas state inspection was an actual safety inspection - lights, blinkers, wipers, horn, brakes work, parking brake works. Really basic, but at least "the basics". Very little rust, particularly structural, unless you live on the Gulf Coast, so they never really checked for that, as far as I know, and rarely looked under the car except with a mirror to check for the presence of a catalytic converter, but again, no rust, so...

SlapActionJackson posted:

Cars older than 25 years won't need to start getting safety inspections. They'll stop getting emissions inspections.

And body rust has never been part of Texas' inspection criteria. Hell, suspension integrity isn't on the list.

Yeah, that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

The US need actual inspections like they need to get rid of the car dependence. Badly.

I'm probably making an egregious assumption here, but it's hilarious how Europeans underestimate just how freaking big the US is, and how little of that is "city" or "has infrastructure," yet folks live there, somehow.
Aussies will understand. They've got even more of "nowhere" than we do.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Alright cool.
Lets fix car dependence for the 70% of the USA who do live in cities.

You mean those cities that most assuredly were NOT designed around having mass transit/being walkable? So, what? Burn it all down?
Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on the need, just, it's going to be a monumental effort that no one wants to pay for, especially in super-capitalistic 'Merca.

His Divine Shadow posted:

bull3964 posted:

We could also take a lot of cars off the road if you legislated that positions that can work remote should be allowed to work remote and end this office real estate welfare scam disguised as Return to Office.

The Door Frame posted:

Or did UBI to free up even more space on roads and transit during rush hour

I'm for either or both of these options.
I'm going to add in socialized medicine, too, because why not. Nothing like fear of high medical costs keeping you at a poo poo job because "insurance," even when that insurance is crap.

Also, it's weird being a guy who "likes cars" but would happily do without if that were a viable option...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Darchangel posted:

Also, it's weird being a guy who "likes cars" but would happily do without if that were a viable option...

Not needing one every day does free you from limiting concepts like "dependable" and "practical".

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Darchangel posted:

You mean those cities that most assuredly were NOT designed around having mass transit/being walkable? So, what? Burn it all down?
Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on the need, just, it's going to be a monumental effort that no one wants to pay for, especially in super-capitalistic 'Merca.

Good news - you don't need to burn it all down. Even in the quintessential car-based sunbelt cities, there is so much repressed demand for urban living that people are in fact willing to pay for it. The main problem in many metropolitan areas is that zoning code forbids building anything but sprawlly car-dependent suburb. Lift those restrictions and the capitalists will indeed finance the necessary infill development.

This will not solve 100% of the problem, of course, but it will be a big step in the right direction.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Computer viking posted:

Not needing one every day does free you from limiting concepts like "dependable" and "practical".

Even fuel efficient, for better or worse. I'd be much happier with a larger displacement engine if I wouldn't have to pay more than $100 a week on gas for it to shuttle me from one county to the next

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

So just going to use the city I live in as an example (a smaller suburb that butts up to Austin).

On the cesspool known as Nextdoor, anytime the regional transit system tries to come to town, there's a whole lot of hang wringing about how it'll enable THOSE PEOPLE to get to town. Nevermind that the next city to the north has a train stop (but no buses) - we don't even have that, despite the train running pretty much behind my apartments to get to the next town. When I did Uber, I picked a lot of people up from that train stop to drive them home (usually just a couple of miles). The nearest bus stop to me is about 7 miles away, and requires walking/biking down a 4 lane 55 MPH road with no lighting, shoulders, or sidewalks.

It's always about "those people". They never say WHO those people are, but we can probably assume POC and low income and/or unhoused. Nevermind that the cops here are extremely tough on anyone homeless, and will quite literally run you out of town (they've been known to pick you up and drop you off at the city limits the first time they see you, straight to jail the second time).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The c-suite tears would be the absolute best.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

Good news - you don't need to burn it all down. Even in the quintessential car-based sunbelt cities, there is so much repressed demand for urban living that people are in fact willing to pay for it. The main problem in many metropolitan areas is that zoning code forbids building anything but sprawlly car-dependent suburb. Lift those restrictions and the capitalists will indeed finance the necessary infill development.

This will not solve 100% of the problem, of course, but it will be a big step in the right direction.

Ah yes, of course it’s the mean old governments fault; I’m sure the problem will be fixed with plenty of time left on the clock for humanity/the biosphere by Capital if we simply unshackle them!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

That's the shittiest puller I've ever seen.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Improvise on your trip to Harbor Freight
Adapt the cheapest option on the shelf
Overcome the weakest part of the tool with some lateral thinking

Edit: oh my god that’s the bottom bracket on a road bike. As a bike mechanic every part of the bike we can see there is :gonk:

Ulf fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 16, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://packaged-media.redd.it/x6y3...fa6e663e8c2#t=0

https://v.redd.it/epz0hlsmlnob1/DASH_480.mp4

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

afen posted:

That's the shittiest puller I've ever seen.

I think it might be a valve spring compressor, I don't think it's a puller at all.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hockenheim posted:

Ah yes, of course it’s the mean old governments fault; I’m sure the problem will be fixed with plenty of time left on the clock for humanity/the biosphere by Capital if we simply unshackle them!

Yep, the government is presently actively making the problem worse, and step 1 of the solution is to stop doing that.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Yep, the government is presently actively making the problem worse, and step 1 of the solution is to stop doing that.

no step one is to reinstitute the guillotine. the government isn't the problem, it's their donors

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

<------ CSPAM is thataway

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The only way I can be 100% sure this isn’t around me is because the buggies here don’t use turn signals.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Personal horrible mechanical failure. Replacing the drivers side cv axle on my car and the loving thing is stuck in the transmission

e; had to dismantle the half shaft at the cv nearest the trans to get a pry bar in there properly and i still ended up having to tie a thin rope inbetween the fat part of the axle and the transmission and hook it up to a loving comealong while i beat and pried at it

double edit; it still didn't fix the issue i'm having, which is a vibration at 65-70 and i'm kinda out of ideas, i already fixed everything that was obviously old or beat up. new lower control arms and bushings, new tie rods, balanced the tires and got an alignment, steering rack was replaced by the dealer for other issues

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 18, 2023

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
-deleted-

Sipher fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 28, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So there I was, first lap out on second session of the day sitting at a stoplight in the middle of town. Come around the corner off throttle, straighten out, hammer down around 3500rpm and pop The light turned green and I gently let off the clutch. At about 2500rpm, I heard a really nasty noise, and then it got real quiet. I dunno what happened. Is it a bad sensor?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well, hopefully that extra crankcase ventilation will help.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MrYenko posted:

So there I was, first lap out on second session of the day sitting at a stoplight in the middle of town. Come around the corner off throttle, straighten out, hammer down around 3500rpm and pop The light turned green and I gently let off the clutch. At about 2500rpm, I heard a really nasty noise, and then it got real quiet. I dunno what happened. Is it a bad sensor?

This is correct

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

Personal horrible mechanical failure. Replacing the drivers side cv axle on my car and the loving thing is stuck in the transmission

e; had to dismantle the half shaft at the cv nearest the trans to get a pry bar in there properly and i still ended up having to tie a thin rope inbetween the fat part of the axle and the transmission and hook it up to a loving comealong while i beat and pried at it

double edit; it still didn't fix the issue i'm having, which is a vibration at 65-70 and i'm kinda out of ideas, i already fixed everything that was obviously old or beat up. new lower control arms and bushings, new tie rods, balanced the tires and got an alignment, steering rack was replaced by the dealer for other issues

this aint the right thread, but if you're shotgunning parts without a diagnosis, go ahead and inspect/replace engine mounts/bushings, and shock/strut and mounts?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

They never learn not to a) attach tow straps to things that are not tow strap attachment points and b) try to jerk/snatch the vehicle.
That said, seems like maybe there was a rust problem already?

chrisgt posted:

I think it might be a valve spring compressor, I don't think it's a puller at all.

Agreed. It's definitely not for pulling anything substantial if it is a puller.

Leperflesh posted:

this aint the right thread, but if you're shotgunning parts without a diagnosis, go ahead and inspect/replace engine mounts/bushings, and shock/strut and mounts?

That's what I was going to suggest.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Large Testicles posted:

Try using the rear wheels on the front. Sometimes a static balancing job can miss a dynamic issue.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

MrYenko posted:

That was my first thought, but the dealer does my tech inspection and it's in their system already. I've got a good relationship with the service writer, which certainly is going to help. Track time, as long as it's not competitive or timed, which HPDE is not, doesn't void the warranty. The Mountune B7 kit I have on there - intercooler, intake, piping, 93 octane tune may be the only sticking point, but if I'd removed the tune prior to taking it in, service writer told me they'd have denied it instantly. Had that tune for years and a bunch of track days, seems unlikely to be the culprit.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I dunno man. "I'd like this windowed engine block covered under warranty" and "I had an aftermarket tune on the car at the time" aren't likely compatible. Good luck though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ford is very forgiving.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

I dunno man. "I'd like this windowed engine block covered under warranty" and "I had an aftermarket tune on the car at the time" aren't likely compatible. Good luck though.

Yeah I'm not going to throw a fit if they don't. The previous owner bought this warranty and I actually didn't know I even had it (I got a free axle recently!) until well after I'd decided to mod it and accept the consequences. Lots of examples out there of Ford covering tuned cars though (and it is a mild tune)

I really like the car so I'm entertaining going with a built motor if it's not covered under warranty.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

"It's a great day for flying driving!"