Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Wonderful 101 99

If everyone was assigned an individual hero, that could be a wonderful clusterfuck of a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I feel like someone somewhere made some chaotic Smash Bros. 99 type thing but I could be imagining..?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Switch 2 is gonna have Mario Kart 8 99.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I got 99 problems and the switch ain't one

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

With forced 250CC. On courses even less designed for that speed :getin:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

blast corps 99

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Eternal Darkness 99

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Mischief Makers 99

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Fire Emblem 99. It takes 3 hours to play a round but longer if someone goes afk.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Argue posted:

The only track will be baby park

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
How's Grim Grimoire Once More?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Eternal Darkness 99

God I want somebody to do something with that concept again

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
damnit, i want to play my switch but i also want to sit outside cause it's a beautiful day but my switch is dead and there are no plugs near me

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

mdemone posted:

God I want somebody to do something with that concept again

I don't it's really the kind of thing you can do twice. Unless it's a real guerilla release like Frog Fractions 2, people are going to go into an Eternal Darkness 2 expecting it to have a bunch of gotcha insanity effects. Or else they'd have to go in a completely different direction for a new gimmick

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The insanity effects weren't exactly a huge secret when ED was being hyped up.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Not all tvs switch off or do volume control the same way now. And kids might not recognize a blue screen of death.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mega64 posted:

The insanity effects weren't exactly a huge secret when ED was being hyped up.

Yeah the lasting impact of the gimmick was that you got to where you weren't quite sure if you were having an insanity effect or if it was part of the game.

You'd have to be subtle and come up with some clever ideas but I think the right devs could do it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Waffle! posted:

Not all tvs switch off or do volume control the same way now. And kids might not recognize a blue screen of death.

They didn't then either

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Waffle! posted:

The "technical issues" wouldn't work, I agree. Maybe some other kind of interruption that would be more disorienting to modern media consumers

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Joker's ending from MK 11 was a good mindfuck.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Failboattootoot posted:

How's Grim Grimoire Once More?

I wish I could tell you, but I don’t read Japanese. (Entirely my fault for not waiting and making sure it had an English mode and instead just mashing the BUY button on play-Asia.)

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

mdemone posted:

The "technical issues" wouldn't work, I agree. Maybe some other kind of interruption that would be more disorienting to modern media consumers

You'd get bullying DMs that are mysteriously missing when you check your inbox. Random screenshot notifications.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Now we're cooking. I'll start the wiki, someone call Nintendo

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Skrill.exe posted:

You'd get bullying DMs that are mysteriously missing when you check your inbox. Random screenshot notifications.

switch errors, fake chievos, do that one X-Files thing where a life sized HD bug crawls across the screen

yeah I feel like there's plenty of room to get creative with modern tech, interface screws have come a long way

maybe even room for some Undertale poo poo, where the game calls you out for resetting or dying or whatever just to prove it can

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Notifications that "Game from your wishlist: Silksong - is now available for download."

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I can't remember if the original did this or not, but they could also do some Fatal Frame 3 / Silent Hill 4 business where the "safe" areas start to deteriorate or gently caress with the player, pause screens and save points start misbehaving, anything to make low sanity feel like the player themselves can no longer trust reality

the joy-con can rumble to simulate sound effects and music, which isn't as ripe for fuckery as the wii remote actually having built-in speakers but I feel like there's still a lot of potential there

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
joycon drift fakeout

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

joycon drift fakeout

I like the way you think

Stuck pixel fakeout

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

People are underestimating the element of surprise tbh. TV's had different displays even back then, but when you're not expecting it something like an input change, system error or controller disconnect is still gonna confuse you for a second. I remember playing Eternal Darkness and at one point the TV volume started going down and I turned around to see if someone had grabbed the remote, even though the "volume" bar looked nothing like my TV's actual display.

Skrill.exe posted:

Notifications that "Game from your wishlist: Silksong - is now available for download."

lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Skrill.exe posted:

lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Steve Yun posted:

What other library titles could they turn into a 99 game

Mariokart 99
Smash Bros 99
Mario Party 99
Star fox 99
Animal Crossing 99
Wario Ware 99
Punch Out 99
Nintendogs 99

super mario kart 99 would be outstandingly awful i would love it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

otter posted:

I wish I could tell you, but I don’t read Japanese. (Entirely my fault for not waiting and making sure it had an English mode and instead just mashing the BUY button on play-Asia.)

This reminds me, the game is still on my wishlist but totally forgot it until now. I have to remember to leave something from my October budget free to finally get it. That dumb game was a fun take on RTS back in the day.

Also why didn't you just buy it on the eShop, on your regular account?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

99 Red Balloon Fight

Galaxies
Jan 22, 2020

Kirby Air Ride 99 and it's a 99 player version of city trial

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

If you get the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack do you get mario kart 8 with that or is it just the extra content and you have to buy the main game still?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Base game not included

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Libluini posted:

Mischief Makers 99

shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Mario party 99.
Do it, you cowards!

You break up into random teams of 4 and go bracket style against the winners until one stands on all the mini games

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
anyone else dealing with connetion issues while playing fzero? i keep getting kicked out midrace in the tutorials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I preordered the nitro deck but thought I cancelled my order, guess I didn’t because I got an email a couple of days ago saying mine is about to ship. Oh well, guess I’ll have an nft joycon soon. Anyone else order this thing?