Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

It's a shame the Combiner Wars one only has a single Minimus but I dunno that they could have fit an even smaller one in.

I guess they could retool the Siege mold inner robot into a headmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

give me a power-head-tar-getmaster

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dabir posted:

I mixed Cog with Ironworks and Scraphook.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I PRESENT

ROBOCOP...TWO!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/quillobyte_/status/1702973938140057964?s=46&t=idHOluBX7WY76GN9uEVUwg

The second to last of my verse’s Constructicons before Devastator.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's a sick robot mode, I loving love the exhaust pipes bordering the torso and head, and the mixing barrel becoming giant sleeves. He looks like some kind of robot wizard

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Thanks. The head area in particular is designed to make it look like he’s wearing a hazmat suit and gas mask.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Bendy boyz

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nodosaur posted:

https://twitter.com/quillobyte_/status/1702973938140057964?s=46&t=idHOluBX7WY76GN9uEVUwg

The second to last of my verse’s Constructicons before Devastator.

I appreciate that his head's recessed into a fuckin thing like the original toy despite a completely different vehicle-to-robot body plan thing. I always really liked Mixmaster, I don't know why. He did nothing. He was basically a rectangle in both modes. Anyone else got a really lovely Transformer they loved despite being obviously inferior to the other ones in your collection?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Joe Fisto posted:

Bendy boyz

How are you liking Armada Prime?

Diet Poison posted:

I appreciate that his head's recessed into a fuckin thing like the original toy despite a completely different vehicle-to-robot body plan thing. I always really liked Mixmaster, I don't know why. He did nothing. He was basically a rectangle in both modes. Anyone else got a really lovely Transformer they loved despite being obviously inferior to the other ones in your collection?

Heh, thanks. Like I said above, it’s meant to resemble a hazmat suit and that’s the “hat” part. I’m personally thinking the windshields go up to protect him from his own creations.

As for stupid Transformers I love, I have sadly way too many…

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Diet Poison posted:

Anyone else got a really lovely Transformer they loved despite being obviously inferior to the other ones in your collection?

all of the pretenders especially the ones whose shells broke

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Nodosaur posted:

How are you liking Armada Prime?

Kick-rear end bot. A couple of minor quibbles, but nothing major. Nothing is perfect anyway. Looks great with the other Armada figs we have gotten recently.

I remember how cool Armada was when the toys were first released. If I recall there hadn't been many (or any) truck Primes since Beast Wars started, so it was super exciting to see the OG Armada Prime on shelves.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

Scoot

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, Snarl is the first of these core-class Dinobots that I'm genuinely kinda disappointed with. I've tolerated a lot that other people don't in these dino modes, but what the hell is that? Why is he dragging his head on the floor like he's done a poo poo on the carpet and he's having his nose rubbed in it? Is this the compromise they made to give him elbows? I don't think it's worth it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Diet Poison posted:

I mean... literally Mixmaster. He was the Constructicon that I got second hand as a kid and he even had his gun so this was wild poo poo to me.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

Kick-rear end bot. A couple of minor quibbles, but nothing major. Nothing is perfect anyway. Looks great with the other Armada figs we have gotten recently.

I remember how cool Armada was when the toys were first released. If I recall there hadn't been many (or any) truck Primes since Beast Wars started, so it was super exciting to see the OG Armada Prime on shelves.

RiD 2001 Prime was a fire truck and was superior :colbert:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Tighclops posted:

RiD 2001 Prime was a fire truck and was superior :colbert:

That was out in the states before Armada? I remember importing the Car Robots version way back in the day.

Looks like tomorrow I can answer the eternal question, trashmaster or play doh?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Diet Poison posted:

Anyone else got a really lovely Transformer they loved despite being obviously inferior to the other ones in your collection?

Not even a Transformer, but the GoBot Pincher. The head broke off it, so in robot mode I just used the hawk head. He was a weird lil guy.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Diet Poison posted:

For me it’s BW Depthcharge. Great Robot mode, really striking headsculpt, colours. The chromed Gold and teals etc. Unfortunately hanging off his back is about 2 lbs of gimmicky kibble with a footprint that makes him hard to display. Also shouting out Scorpionformers as my fav even though most transformation = stand up a little

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

McDonalds Panther was as much a Maximal as Rhinox or Polar Claw (I only had the bat Optimus so the giant polar bear who shot a bat out of his arm was clearly the leader).

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I have a Skullcruncher I loved growing up who had no tail sword or even his head. Just this robot gator boy who could turn into a headless guy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wasn't expecting to find Legacy Brawn today

He's great, cute as a button, high oot-de-doo factor

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Good Listener posted:

I have a Skullcruncher I loved growing up who had no tail sword or even his head. Just this robot gator boy who could turn into a headless guy.

I too have this exact Skullcruncher

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Robot Style posted:

McDonalds Panther was as much a Maximal as Rhinox or Polar Claw (I only had the bat Optimus so the giant polar bear who shot a bat out of his arm was clearly the leader).

Oh poo poo, I also really loved the McDonalds Beetle. Would love to have one on my desk.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Battle Unicorn

Come on, that guy is cool as hell

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Legacy Animated Bumblebee's leaked. Whoever it was who wanted him to be a faithful update to the Animated look should be happy.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/09/17/transformers-legacy-animated-bumblebee-494625

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oooh! Time to decide what to do with my KBB Hornets Agent...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Chris McFeely seems very unhappy about it, but he also pointed out that he's a mark for the inevitable Wasp repaint.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

Battle Unicorn

Come on, that guy is cool as hell

Honestly would love to have this guy, I could never find him anywhere even back in the day

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's weird - the shoulders seem to behave in roughly the same way as the original, but they feel a lot worse to me.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
So, wait. Is all of IDW Transformers just one guy's fanfic? The guy who wrote the fanfic where Shockwave gives birth? The guy who wrote the fanfic where Star Saber gets down dirty because this guy hates the Japanese transformers stuff?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That's what comic books are like. A lot of the greatest Batman and X-Men stories were technically fanfiction about those characters by Grant Morrison.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Fivemarks posted:

So, wait. Is all of IDW Transformers just one guy's fanfic? The guy who wrote the fanfic where Shockwave gives birth? The guy who wrote the fanfic where Star Saber gets down dirty because this guy hates the Japanese transformers stuff?

I simultaneously want to and don't want to know more

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Tighclops posted:

I simultaneously want to and don't want to know more

Yeah, James Roberts wrote a fanfic that led to him getting picked up to write for IDW, and a lot of ideas from that fanfic- like Star Saber being a fascist- were brought into IDW.

This sucks, because Star Saber is rad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It doesn't count as fanfic if it's officially licensed, and there were a lot of guys.

I don't remember if there was anything about James Roberts hating japanese characters in specific, I think he mostly did Star Saber dirty because he likes doing dirty. I guess he didn't exactly do right by Deathsaurus either, but then again he also did wrong by Pipes. A couple of the characters in MTME were formerly most prominent in anime, but generally he chose most of his main cast for being obscure enough that he could just write them however he wanted.

I don't know what UK-anime connections usually are aside from one weird dub. Doesn't seem like there's very many intersections.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I don't mean MTMTE, I mean Eugenesis.

But I dunno, It seems weird- I've totally noticed that in the Transformers fandom, the UK fans seem to really just absolutely hate the japanese stuff, and not just in a "Hahaha KISSPLAYERS and ENERGON bad" way, but in a way that feels like "We're mad the Japanese are so involved in it when they don't care about it the way WE DO!" way.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I could see European G1 fans feeling more ownership over the brand than other places. They not only got some of the otherwise Japanese exclusive toys like Overlord and (most of) Breastforce, and also got their own unique toys like Skyquake and Thunder Clash. And even in the fiction, the modern Transformers backstory with Primus and all that owes more to the stuff Simon Furman was doing in the UK comics than anything that was on TV around the world. Transformers also never really stopped in Europe, while other markets had thrown in the towel until G2 kicked things off again.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Robot Style posted:

It's weird - the shoulders seem to behave in roughly the same way as the original, but they feel a lot worse to me.

It wouldn't be a Legacy remake if it wasn't worse than the original in at least a couple spots.

*G1 figures excluded

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean transformers having Mpreg dates back to the G2 comics.

Also Roberts isn't the sole auteur and architect of the 2005-2019 IDW continuity. He had pretty free reign over his side later on but John Barber is responsible for a lot of it, including the really excellent musings on empire and colonialism that animate the final arcs of the universe.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

I could see European G1 fans feeling more ownership over the brand than other places. They not only got some of the otherwise Japanese exclusive toys like Overlord and (most of) Breastforce, and also got their own unique toys like Skyquake and Thunder Clash. And even in the fiction, the modern Transformers backstory with Primus and all that owes more to the stuff Simon Furman was doing in the UK comics than anything that was on TV around the world. Transformers also never really stopped in Europe, while other markets had thrown in the towel until G2 kicked things off again.
TBH it's not like there's huge love for the Japanese entries in most of the anglosphere. You'll always get one or two poeple talking about liking one or two specific bits of it, but I'm not sure I've ever come across anyone who talkis about all of it. When I got back into the fandom the most you'd usually hear was people complaining that the Takara releases were better than the "HasBLOW" ones, and the resultant slapfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Fivemarks posted:

Yeah, James Roberts wrote a fanfic that led to him getting picked up to write for IDW, and a lot of ideas from that fanfic- like Star Saber being a fascist- were brought into IDW.

This sucks, because Star Saber is rad.

Counterpoint: It's great, because Star Saber is barely a character outside of an unwatchable show from almost four decades ago so who loving cares? Frankly having the toy that was one of the most obnoxious "Oh my favorite G1 toy? You probably haven't HEARD of him he never came HERE" things in the old days of the online fandom used as a representation of blind hostile religious fervor is a pretty solid creative choice.