Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Adding mods to Wabbajack is way, way more fiddly than manually installing one mod at a time, because the list author probably did all kinds of extra work that is going to break if you put the wrong mod in without combing through every other mod to look for conflicts. Or maybe it's just me, the guy who only knows how to click links on the Nexus and then run LOOT and cross my fingers whenever I launch.

I've just never had a Wabbajack list work after adding another mod to it, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

King Vidiot posted:

Adding mods to Wabbajack is way, way more fiddly than manually installing one mod at a time, because the list author probably did all kinds of extra work that is going to break if you put the wrong mod in without combing through every other mod to look for conflicts. Or maybe it's just me, the guy who only knows how to click links on the Nexus and then run LOOT and cross my fingers whenever I launch.

I've just never had a Wabbajack list work after adding another mod to it, ever.

I added like a dozen mods to Septimus 2 when I was playing and never had issues. I added NFF, the Light & Shade companion mod, a couple other companions that I can't remember. I'm blanking on what else I modded in and I can't check right now but it probably depends on what kind of mods you add in. If you're adding in something the Wabbajack list already handles then you're gonna be in trouble.

e: Also I never moved the load order, I just added new stuff to the bottom of the list. Changing the order changes reference numbers in game and I think that could also be your problem. While certain things are technically supposed to be in certain places in your list I think once you've started your better off not loving with the order.

I have no clue what I'm doing though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Adding stuff typically won't ruin anything. You might see something new modify something old, say vendor lists, or item properties, and without a patch to merge them you'll lose something from the older set. Not apocalyptic but will take a compatibility patch or some xedit knowhow to make your own. Otherwise something might not work right, and you might not even notice. Sometimes a script gets overwritten which will typically make a mod throw an error at you, and then a rearrangement usually fixes things. Moving things around (mid save) might break things, because yeah, thing are referenced by number based on their load order. That said I do it all the time and poo poo typically works.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I haven't touched Skyrim in 8 or more years, but had hundreds of hours in it back in the day. I would like to pick it up again, and want to use mods, but am overwhelmed by all of the info out there. Can I get some help in finding some resources that will guide me in picking some mod packages? I am not asking for anyone here to write me a modlist, just point me in the direction of where I should do research instead of just googling random things and reading SEO junk

I am looking for

- Quests. More of them, expanded quests, etc. As long as they are worth doing
- Graphics/environment updates
- Combat enhancements as priority #3. Would be nice, but mostly I want more to do in the world since I already experienced most of what vanilla has to offer, even though it was years ago.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 7, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

tempus maledictum on wabbajack seems to fit that from what im playing now. World looks very pretty, absolutel gently caress ton of new content quests, the full enairim suite of overhaul mods, and legacy of the dragonborn for your collecting needs.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I remain that guy that wants there to be a "nice location to collect all your weirdly specific and unique loot" equivalent mod for the other Bethesda games. Legacy of the Dragonborn tickles the collectionist part of my brain.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jetamo posted:

I remain that guy that wants there to be a "nice location to collect all your weirdly specific and unique loot" equivalent mod for the other Bethesda games. Legacy of the Dragonborn tickles the collectionist part of my brain.
The way it transforms "wow that's a dubiously useful weapon for a type I'm not even using" into "sweet, a new exhibit!" is loving magical.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah tempus has 4500 displays in it so i dont even know where the gently caress all this poo poo is from but I sure am excited to find out!

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

My first thought delving into Bleak Falls Barrow and encountering that initial trap/dead easy puzzle was that it felt a bit Indiana Jones-ish and it would be cool if there was a mod that let me put poo poo in a museum. Lo and behold.

I've definitely wanted something like LotD since first playing Morrowind, but iirc only Oblivion's Archeology Guild mod, whatever it was called, came close, and that wasn't a museum to display your stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kartikeya posted:

My first thought delving into Bleak Falls Barrow and encountering that initial trap/dead easy puzzle was that it felt a bit Indiana Jones-ish and it would be cool if there was a mod that let me put poo poo in a museum. Lo and behold.

I've definitely wanted something like LotD since first playing Morrowind, but iirc only Oblivion's Archeology Guild mod, whatever it was called, came close, and that wasn't a museum to display your stuff.
If you're doing things manually you'll want at least the Curator's Companion and probably some bugfix mods, and compatibility mods for whatever other stuff you've got so their items get displays too.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Zereth posted:

If you're doing things manually you'll want at least the Curator's Companion and probably some bugfix mods, and compatibility mods for whatever other stuff you've got so their items get displays too.

Oh yeah, I just go straight down the LOtD section of this list, give or take a mod. The official patcher has an obscene number of patches available, and for those mods it doesn't, there's usually one someone else made. There's also this mod, that adds customized nooks in the safehouse rooms for specific followers. Highly recommended if you're running with any of those followers. Naturally, they're also displays.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Curators companion is the GOAT, I couldn't imagine doing lotd without it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there mods good for making Skyrim an even better sandbox to gently caress around in? Thinking about doing Skyrim Together with family at some point and my son especially will probably just wander off and get into trouble, so whatever supports that style of gameplay would be ideal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cicero posted:

Are there mods good for making Skyrim an even better sandbox to gently caress around in? Thinking about doing Skyrim Together with family at some point and my son especially will probably just wander off and get into trouble, so whatever supports that style of gameplay would be ideal.

You probably want as few mods as possible for that because it would just make setting it up harder and increase the odds of errors happening. I don't know how old your kid is or if they'd like to play a mage but if they'd like to play a mage I'd say definitely go with Apocalypse Spells, because it has a lot of fun spells.

Really, the whole Enairim set, and not the closer to vanilla versions, is what I would recommend for people who just want to run havoc on the setting, ton of fun powers and abilities.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If it's their first time playing skyrim there is something to be said for a vanilla (or close to it) playthrough, then if they like it and want to play through it again by themselves you can setup a huge modlist as a sort of NG+ experience.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

vanilla perks are so boring though, starfield has the same problem, enairim at least gives you cool stuff on level up

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

queeb posted:

vanilla perks are so boring though, starfield has the same problem, enairim at least gives you cool stuff on level up

I know this isn't the Starfield thread but it mirrors other Bethesda games so well. Same poo poo in Starfield, bullet sponges and boring-rear end skills. There is a ton of mods already for Starfield, the two I quite like are a couple that make combat much more lethal for both NPCs and the player themselves, feels more like STALKER. A nice side effect is now I can use whatever weapon I want and take into account how they feel, reload, recoil, and other factors rather than raw damage output in dealing with the enemies I'm going to be trading blows with for a half hour since we both have 1000 hit points. It also now makes the armor system more dynamic because the protections they offer on the weapon types mean more than before. However in doing so you also invalidate all the weapon perks because they are centered around increasing the % of damage with pistols or rifles or whatever, who cares when all weapons are deadly. 10% of damage increase on pistols woopty fuckin' do.

Mods will fix this, but drat does it make Bethesda just seem unable to innovate at all.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
because making combat quickly more lethal means a lot of the loot tables etc become useless immediately. Its something you will recognize when you use ADXP with cool fancy anims. The AI will murderize you immediately.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I got two separate bandits on two different occasions get an arrow through the head and not slowed down in the slightest today.
It feels fine on a zombie but not with supposedly ordinary people.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

So, because it was brought up recently and I just went on a drat NPC appearance mods deep dive, here's my suggestions for...I'm going to go with "movie realism".

NVICO for the most part seems to be a high poly, slightly more polished version of vanilla, with a few deviations. I'm using it as my base. I used to use WICO, which is still quite good, but the original esp makes a lot of wild edits and apparently the BSAs aren't in the greatest shape either, so it requires some additional maintenance. If you just want to throw one single mod on and go, pick one of these two.

If you want something on top that's a bit more personalized, the Northbourne series is really good, with some rare misses (like Mercer, lol, wtf). Whiterun and Riverwood have overlaps, so if you like the Riverwood NPC looks better, just load that after. I threw all these together and loaded them after NVICO, and I didn't see any immediate problems while running around testing. This is honestly what I'd just suggest anyone looking for something quick and painless to go with.

If you want to toy with Easynpc (and if you're looking to mix and match appearance mods, you definitely should), there's also Followers Hirelings and Housecarls, Improved Bards (bards are performers, makes sense for them to be made up a little), Elegant Elven Followers, and Marvelous Mage Followers.

There are actually...some Pandorables NPCs that are pretty decent for this look, mostly in the two Males modpacks, but I sure wouldn't just take them as a whole, there are some uh. Well there are some choices. I also like their Maven Blackbriar quite a bit. I mostly ignored Eekie's, but I still grabbed the mod because I'm a big fan of their Idgrod Ravencrone (best jarl, fite me), and her daughter enough to put them into the merge.

For orcs I'm going to be running with Children of the Pariah, no experience but it looks neat (and the female orcs are actually orcs). For argonians I've got Not Quite Vanilla NPC Overhaul - Argonians but I ended up mix and matching that with NVICO. I'm probably not running with it this time, but the Children of the Pariah author also has Project Ja-Kha'Jay which looks very cool. ...And, now that I look, I really like her Delphine too. So I guess I'm redoing my merge after all.

Anyway, hope that's useful for anyone looking for some quick suggestions that are (mostly) this side of the beauty pageant options.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

kartikeya posted:

So, because it was brought up recently and I just went on a drat NPC appearance mods deep dive, here's my suggestions for...I'm going to go with "movie realism".

NVICO for the most part seems to be a high poly, slightly more polished version of vanilla, with a few deviations. I'm using it as my base. I used to use WICO, which is still quite good, but the original esp makes a lot of wild edits and apparently the BSAs aren't in the greatest shape either, so it requires some additional maintenance. If you just want to throw one single mod on and go, pick one of these two.

If you want something on top that's a bit more personalized, the Northbourne series is really good, with some rare misses (like Mercer, lol, wtf). Whiterun and Riverwood have overlaps, so if you like the Riverwood NPC looks better, just load that after. I threw all these together and loaded them after NVICO, and I didn't see any immediate problems while running around testing. This is honestly what I'd just suggest anyone looking for something quick and painless to go with.

If you want to toy with Easynpc (and if you're looking to mix and match appearance mods, you definitely should), there's also Followers Hirelings and Housecarls, Improved Bards (bards are performers, makes sense for them to be made up a little), Elegant Elven Followers, and Marvelous Mage Followers.

There are actually...some Pandorables NPCs that are pretty decent for this look, mostly in the two Males modpacks, but I sure wouldn't just take them as a whole, there are some uh. Well there are some choices. I also like their Maven Blackbriar quite a bit. I mostly ignored Eekie's, but I still grabbed the mod because I'm a big fan of their Idgrod Ravencrone (best jarl, fite me), and her daughter enough to put them into the merge.

For orcs I'm going to be running with Children of the Pariah, no experience but it looks neat (and the female orcs are actually orcs). For argonians I've got Not Quite Vanilla NPC Overhaul - Argonians but I ended up mix and matching that with NVICO. I'm probably not running with it this time, but the Children of the Pariah author also has Project Ja-Kha'Jay which looks very cool. ...And, now that I look, I really like her Delphine too. So I guess I'm redoing my merge after all.

Anyway, hope that's useful for anyone looking for some quick suggestions that are (mostly) this side of the beauty pageant options.

This looks great - should give NVICO a try - at some point I had some objections to the high poly head hard requirement, but I can't remember what it was, maybe it broke something specific in my load order. I'm probably going with this combination or at least some variation of it.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Browsing through pickpocket mods, I ran across Vipir Pickpocket Master Training Trainer Fix - Unofficial SSE Patch Patched. "Huh," I think, "wonder what's up with that."

Well, that's certainly not great, but hey, patches break stuff all the time. Let's go into the comments and have a glance.

Nope, definitely not great, looks like I'll have to go get that fix for Niruin too--

Uh oh, I'm starting to smell an Arthmoor.

:raise:

:bighow:

lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao even.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This is also mitigated by "who the hell uses trainers in Skyrim?"

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I also admire the "we don't feel any need to hotfix a bug we introduced into our bug fixing patch by messing with poo poo that isn't a bug for no reason, because you can just go use another trainer" take. Just fully committing.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The Starfield patch not involving the usual unofficial patch people I am hoping is a blessing.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Flowing Thot posted:

The Starfield patch not involving the usual unofficial patch people I am hoping is a blessing.

They have their own Antipope unofficial patch so don't worry, the drama will continue.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they gave arthmoor an invite and he declined lol.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My mind is still boggled that a group of people got together way before release to form a team to work on those patches for the purpose of not letting Arthmoor go "first" and controlling a vital patch

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Why hasn't anyone made a de-arthmoorized version of the unofficial patch

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

VostokProgram posted:

I don't know what that would look like.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't know what that would look like.
It's just the regular unofficial patch, but with the "Dovahkiin?! NOOOOOOO!" sound byte removed.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

VostokProgram posted:

he uses DMCA to take it down.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

he uses DMCA to take it down.

It's this. People have done it multiple times, he throws a fit and gets it pulled from the Nexus.

Leal posted:

My mind is still boggled that a group of people got together way before release to form a team to work on those patches for the purpose of not letting Arthmoor go "first" and controlling a vital patch

I'm hoping it goes well enough that it carries over into ES6 after we've all died of old age. Arthmoor being in charge of unofficial patches has been loving poison, and that's ignoring all the random non-bug changes that come about just because he gets a hair up his rear end over something. Like gatekeeping two master trainers that, without mods, can only be reached once you're officially in the Thieves Guild in the first place.

That said, a quick google brought me to this.

Edit: Also this, which replaces the infamous "Dovahkiin, NO" with alternatives. Worth clicking on the link just to watch the example video, lol.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 16, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I don't buy the DMCA argument alone because you can just file a counter claim and go "ok, sue me". Arthmoor wouldn't actually push forward past that point.

It's gotta be more than that.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I don't buy the DMCA argument alone because you can just file a counter claim and go "ok, sue me". Arthmoor wouldn't actually push forward past that point.

Sure you could, but that doesn't mean the Nexus will restore the mod or even allow it to be uploaded again. They have no obligation to host anything.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

KakerMix posted:

He did threaten DMCAs and much more during the gategate debacle. But that's a different story.

The problem is that the Nexus site for most of its existence has enabled prima donnas like Arthmoor with some dumb rules. Specifically this one

The Nexus' File Submissiom Guidelines posted:

User-submitted content that is predominantly intended to interact with existing user-submitted content is subject to the approval of all parties involved and may be removed at the request of the author of the original content.
So if you make patch file for the unofficial patch, he'll throw a hissy fit. Point to that rule. And the Nexus will remove it. There are quite a few patches that still up though. I guess either because they're too small for him to bother with. Or they don't mention the unofficial patch in their name, so they won't show up in the search results for "unofficial patch".

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Please spell it right, it's Unofficial Patch (TM) or I'll file a DMCA takedown

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The guy is so litigious that someone on his team went after a different unofficial patch that was made for consoles because console players didn't want to deal with the excess size of Arthmoor's patch from the bloat he shoves in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

kartikeya posted:

Edit: Also this, which replaces the infamous "Dovahkiin, NO" with alternatives. Worth clicking on the link just to watch the example video, lol.

quote:

The ESP-FE plugin disables the lines "You are brave. Balaan hokoron. Your defeat brings me honor." and "Brit grah. I had forgotten what fine sport you mortals can provide!" from ever playing, because otherwise you'd hear Mirmulnir speaking French out of nowhere.
You know, that sounds intriguing.