Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

tree law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

TREE LAW!!! :homebrew:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
don't settle for anything less than an equivalently sized tree, op. and a massive fine.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TREE

LAW

TREE

LAW

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

This thing is like 75 feet tall, I'll be dead before a new tree gets anywhere near as big as this one :negative:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

This thing is like 75 feet tall, I'll be dead before a new tree gets anywhere near as big as this one :negative:

this is exactly the case for tree law

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Dokapon Findom posted:

lol not regrow, they have to transplant an equivalently sized tree no matter the cost. or there's some absolutely staggering fines they could pay.

tree law is serious poo poo.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
seriously if they killed your tree apparently they have to pay you to get an identical tree. plus there’s like 3x penalties too. you might own your neighbors house now.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I'm more interested in going after the outfit doing the work- specifically the subcontractor who personally made the cuts. I'm getting the tree assessed by another arborist as far as what we can do to save it, because ideally it doesn't die and no ugliness is necessary; the neighbors have already agreed to pay for the replacement, should this one indeed die- that's all I want, I'm not after damages beyond what's actually been damaged. I know for a certainty the subcontractor was gambling on it being fall and all the trees dropping leaves at the same time so that if/when this one doesn't come back in the spring, stupid me would just be like "huh, that's weird". Apparently they can also take a few years to die after the roots are cut, so it may not manifest immediately, and thus be more difficult to prove. But I'm getting all my ducks in a row now to prepare for any legal eventuality.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Sorry for the derail! Back to the happy news of the day

Dokapon Findom has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Sep 16, 2023

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

new aes is a biosphere collapse banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7jH-5YQLcE

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
meanwhile florida passed a "gently caress trees" law that bans any locality from protecting trees in any way, lol.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Harik posted:

meanwhile florida passed a "gently caress trees" law that bans any locality from protecting trees in any way, lol.

florida is the physical manifestation of humanity's hatred of our planet and each other

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

Cold on a Cob posted:

any texas goons in here? i heard the electricity spot rates have been absolutely hosed again this year

a cool thing is that Texas and is just allowed to burn extra dirty fuel whenever they ask without consequence

quote:

The Biden administration declared a power emergency in Texas amid soaring electricity demand sparked by a brutal heat wave. The order issued by the Energy Department on Thursday allows the state’s grid operator to waive some air- pollution limits so generators can produce more power.

The request came as intense heat well above 100 F in much of the state pushed demand for electricity to record highs.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-d...20more%20power.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

haakman posted:

The Oracle of bdellphi

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

RedQueen posted:

a cool thing is that Texas and is just allowed to burn extra dirty fuel whenever they ask without consequence

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-d...20more%20power.

it seems pretty likely to me that the response to any significant wetbulb event will be the construction of 'emergency' fossil fuel power plants that can spool up quickly and handle excess load during heat waves, rather than the construction of any more renewables or decrease in carbon emissions generally

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

getting high on particulates and strange gases coming out of the earth below

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Unless posted:

new aes is a biosphere collapse banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7jH-5YQLcE

Dope

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

celadon posted:

it seems pretty likely to me that the response to any significant wetbulb event will be the construction of 'emergency' fossil fuel power plants that can spool up quickly and handle excess load during heat waves, rather than the construction of any more renewables or decrease in carbon emissions generally

Certainly not a systematic review of our architecture and building construction that could be changed to reduce cooling costs

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:3:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Dokapon Findom posted:

My neighbour is building some bullshit thing next door and one of the contractors cut the roots of one of my large trees quite badly; I've never been so angry in my life, not just for my own poo poo, but for nature generally- trees everywhere are under assault and they don't need any extra bullshit!!! :mad:

Dokapon Findom posted:

The so-called "arborist" on the project- who was not present when the excavation and damage were done- was saying that because it's an American Elm "it'll probably get sick and die soon anyway" well it will NOW, you stupid fucker! All I'll say is I can see why Floridians settle disputes in the manner they do.

edit: the gray spots show up on my phone but not my computer, I will fix this photoshop later :mad:

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 03:03 on Sep 17, 2023

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

celadon posted:

doubling down, lfg :regd08:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FirstnameLastname posted:

you are arguing against someone you've made up in your head. thats not what i said
air is real though and it does have a very drastic effect on what small flying animals will impact a car

like here, except for the red and yellow area, small bugs will likely not even touch the body

because there's a constant stream of high pressure air like this passing over it ( this is of a car going fast i couldn't find a gif a of slower speed )

whereas here, it's gonna smash every bug
because of these kind of designs, which aren't done anymore, which create a big dead zone of air immediately infront of the windshield, making things smack into it without any air pushing them away at all, it actually does make a very drastic difference idk why this is so contentious lol

A bat flew directly into my windshield a week ago and splattered. Felt like poo poo. Driving sucks.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Hell of a news headline from the WHO.

https://www.who.int/news/item/15-09...oss-and-who-say posted:

Dead bodies from natural disasters and conflict do not generally pose health risks, Red Cross and WHO say

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

celadon posted:

we basically already have a fleet of those, they’re natural gas peaker plants.

the way deregulated electricity markets work is that everyone bids the price you’re asking to supply power, the ISO (ERCOT in Texas) then takes those bids in price order (maybe taking renewables first if there is law about it), then the most expensive price paid to meet demand is the price that everyone gets paid.

So to maximize profits, you want to constrict the supply of electricity until prices are extremely high then turn on your power. So you have unscheduled maintenance or even scheduled maintenance on your most expensive to operate plants on days you know will likely be high demand. That forces the price through the roof, and the rest of your fleet reaps maximum profits.

During the big Texas freeze, for example, there were several plants in the Rio Grande Valley that went offline because supposedly their 24” intake pipes froze in barely below freezing weather. Ooops, looks like we’re going to have to have an insanely profitable day while people die.

They basically legalized what Enron got busted for doing.

In a non-insane world, sure it might make sense to keep these dirty peakers around for those theoretical “black sky days” where wind & solar have 0 production. But obviously that’s not the world we live in, so instead they’re a great way to turn polluting into profits.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also since a lot of laws about pollution are on an annual emissions basis, those peakers are often the dirtiest since they only run a few hours a year so no requirement to install pollution controls

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Trabisnikof posted:

we basically already have a fleet of those, they’re natural gas peaker plants.

the way deregulated electricity markets work is that everyone bids the price you’re asking to supply power, the ISO (ERCOT in Texas) then takes those bids in price order (maybe taking renewables first if there is law about it), then the most expensive price paid to meet demand is the price that everyone gets paid.

So to maximize profits, you want to constrict the supply of electricity until prices are extremely high then turn on your power. So you have unscheduled maintenance or even scheduled maintenance on your most expensive to operate plants on days you know will likely be high demand. That forces the price through the roof, and the rest of your fleet reaps maximum profits.

During the big Texas freeze, for example, there were several plants in the Rio Grande Valley that went offline because supposedly their 24” intake pipes froze in barely below freezing weather. Ooops, looks like we’re going to have to have an insanely profitable day while people die.

They basically legalized what Enron got busted for doing.

In a non-insane world, sure it might make sense to keep these dirty peakers around for those theoretical “black sky days” where wind & solar have 0 production. But obviously that’s not the world we live in, so instead they’re a great way to turn polluting into profits.

Trabisnikof posted:

Also since a lot of laws about pollution are on an annual emissions basis, those peakers are often the dirtiest since they only run a few hours a year so no requirement to install pollution controls

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The book, tv and movie goons don't usually try to convince everyone they live in marvel cinematic universe though so pick your poison

I kind of think there’s something interesting to be written about whether the appeal of the marvel cinematic universe is in being a sort of half-reality— it’s not just that it has superheroes, but that it diverged from our actual world long enough ago that all the depressing things from 2008 onwards didn’t happen

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

celadon posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ArthurJensenbutasbdelloidtellingHowardBealehesmakingNumbersad.png

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

vegetables posted:

I kind of think there’s something interesting to be written about whether the appeal of the marvel cinematic universe is in being a sort of half-reality— it’s not just that it has superheroes, but that it diverged from our actual world long enough ago that all the depressing things from 2008 onwards didn’t happen

We'll do that on the next playthrough. We need to complete the Children of Men one we're halfway through first.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

what would poison ivy do?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2013/02/28/sprawl-madness-two-houses-share-backyard-separated-by-7-miles-of-roads

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-66724246

quote:

"Are we awakening this giant of Antarctica?" asks Prof Martin Siegert, a glaciologist at the University of Exeter. It would be "an absolute disaster for the world," he says.

There are signs that what is already happening to Antarctica's ice sheets is in the worst-case scenario range of what was predicted, says Prof Anna Hogg, an Earth scientist at the University of Leeds.

Antarctica's huge ice expanse regulates the planet's temperature, as the white surface reflects the Sun's energy back into the atmosphere and also cools the water beneath and near it.

Without its ice cooling the planet, Antarctica could transform from Earth's refrigerator to a radiator, experts say.

The ice that floats on the Antarctic Ocean's surface now measures less than 17 million sq km - that is 1.5 million sq km of sea-ice less than the September average, and well below previous winter record lows.

That's an area of missing ice about five times the size of the British Isles.

'We never thought extreme weather events could happen there'

As a self-contained continent surrounded by water, Antarctica has its own weather and climate system. Until 2016 Antarctica's winter sea-ice had actually been growing in size.

But in March 2022 an extreme heatwave hit East Antarctica, pushing temperatures to -10C when they should have been closer to -50C.

"When I started studying the Antarctic 30 years ago, we never thought extreme weather events could happen there," says Prof Siegert.

Sea-ice has broken record minimums in summer for three of the past seven years, including February 2023.

Some scientists even believe these low ice records may indicate a fundamental change is happening to the continent - a shift in the conditions which have kept the region insulated.

It's winter down there right now so I wonder how bad its going to be in the south hemisphere once summer comes around.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

GWAR awakens again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aobRNLeSYzs

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

I'm more interested in going after the outfit doing the work- specifically the subcontractor who personally made the cuts. I'm getting the tree assessed by another arborist as far as what we can do to save it, because ideally it doesn't die and no ugliness is necessary; the neighbors have already agreed to pay for the replacement, should this one indeed die- that's all I want, I'm not after damages beyond what's actually been damaged. I know for a certainty the subcontractor was gambling on it being fall and all the trees dropping leaves at the same time so that if/when this one doesn't come back in the spring, stupid me would just be like "huh, that's weird". Apparently they can also take a few years to die after the roots are cut, so it may not manifest immediately, and thus be more difficult to prove. But I'm getting all my ducks in a row now to prepare for any legal eventuality.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Sorry for the derail! Back to the happy news of the day

Get a lawyer. Your neighbor likely means they will replace it with a sapling. Do not settle for anything other than an equivalent age and species of tree. Do this by the courts, many states also enforce the tree must take root and survive for a few years. Killing a tree is serious and costs a shitload of money.

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Sep 17, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I used to be in Florida more than I'd like to visit friends and my impression was always that it's a really special kind of hell. They lived out in a suburb near Jacksonville and it was a twenty minute drive through crazy tangles of suburban streets to get loving anywhere. How the gently caress can you have a highly developed area with houses crammed right on top of each and everyone is still magically a twenty minute drive away from a loving supermarket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Paradoxish posted:

I used to be in Florida more than I'd like to visit friends and my impression was always that it's a really special kind of hell. They lived out in a suburb near Jacksonville and it was a twenty minute drive through crazy tangles of suburban streets to get loving anywhere. How the gently caress can you have a highly developed area with houses crammed right on top of each and everyone is still magically a twenty minute drive away from a loving supermarket?

15 minute city but everything is precisely 14-16 mins away via driving directions