Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tried googling it but only found people saying studies showed cursive helped children instead. I didn't really go into details but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that would be an intelligent move to reduce the possible charges he faces if caught

I think a lot of places have laws that say exactly the opposite. Use a toy gun to rob a liquor store, and you get charged exactly as if the gun had been real.

The faster you write, the longer it takes the reader to decipher it. Which is why I always thought of cursive as somewhat impolite.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 19, 1959)

I'm the knight in green wielding an emu leg with panache

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Clammota Crank has a lot of good points here.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Weembles posted:

Now Phantom is in a small camp with his wife and Savarna.

That's a formula for hijinks if I ever saw one.

Basically the only part of this story that might have a worthwhile payoff.

Murdstone posted:

Les is a really good friend to put up with this and still try to help Gunther get over the end of his relationship. The main characters in this strip remain the worst people.

Completely agreed.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Kids today don't learn abacus, slide-rule, and Esperanto 😡

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Green Intern posted:

:mad:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Sadly, having the boss say some version of “get in the robot, timid office girl” would have stretched the translation too much.

Bardiche Hotel

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Les is a really good friend to put up with this and still try to help Gunther get over the end of his relationship. The main characters in this strip remain the worst people.
I don't know what "turn the controller around" means though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zereth posted:

I think it's something like 'turn on your monitor"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

he is trying to say the zombie who ought be killed so the world will be a better place is Les

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gnoman posted:

Multiple studies have found that schoolchildren writing in block letters write faster and more legibly than cursive writing from people who have been writing in cursive for their entire lives. Cursive is useful if you are using a dip or fountain pen because it reduces blotting. If you are using a ballpoint or pencil it is completely useless.

My mother handwrites exclusively in cursive and it is real difficult to read. Sometimes she can't even read her own handwriting, it can make reading the shopping list an adventure.

I was never great with cursive (being a lefty didn't help, I'm sure), all I can really remember is how to sign my name, and over the years that's just devolved into squiggles. Sometimes I think I should retrain myself on cursive just to save my poor signature.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

:lol:

Cursive chat: I write in block letters but so quickly it's practically illegible to anyone but me, and sometimes even I have problems.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 11-14, 2003)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I learned cursive in school, but like so many other people I never use it except to sign my name. And as an archivist, I have to be able to read cursive because I'm frequently working with old letters and other materials written in cursive.

Pogo 6/10/51

Archie 3/8-10/48

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Learning to write cursive is only valuable because it's part of learning how to read cursive. Learning to read cursive is important because there's a fuckton of documents out there still that are only in cursive. Personal correspondence for example, or old books that weren't typeset. gently caress letting boomers be the only ones who can decide which of those documents are worth transcribing so you can read them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If this arc doesn't end with Gunther in a shallow grave, it's an abject failure.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!

Caption It! posted:

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!

Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.

Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

rudy time.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Dang it, I had everything else on deck tonight, but got distracted before OBH prep. So straight into Toonerville Folks we go. (October 6-8, 1921; modesty timg for Aunt Eppie)

Dok's Extensively Damaged Duck (80% of December 1, 1914)

Little Lefty (February 20-22, 1939)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (May 11-18, 1968)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I can't seem to parse that as anything other than a shadowy giant dick with a chicken foot

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

maybealabia posted:

I can't seem to parse that as anything other than a shadowy giant dick with a chicken foot

a cockatrice

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Someone wrote a letter to the editor of the Washington Post about Mark Trail:

quote:

Can’t bear the misinformation

The Sept. 3 “Mark Trail” comic strip included misleading information. It stated that grizzly bears are “not seen outside Alaska and the far north.” Historically, grizzly bears ranged from Alaska to Mexico and from the Pacific to the Mississippi River. Even today, about 3,000 live in Wyoming, Idaho, Washington and Montana.

I miss the old version of “Mark Trail” that included more dependable information on natural history and had more straightforward, believable characters and storylines.

Sally J. Valdes, Alexandria

The writer is a former biologist for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other federal agencies.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

Oh God Ronan they were just kids

It's amazing he got out of tomato jail at all.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm the knight in green wielding an emu leg with panache

That's what I always liked about Dark Souls, basically every weapon is viable

Prince Valiant

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 14, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Yes, now take that thought to its logical conclusion.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hippocrass posted:

Yes, now take that thought to its logical conclusion.
Deathany and Josh* would get along swimmingly.

(*from "Retail")

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I really like Crabgrass.

Also someone swiped my Primus shirt out of my dorm laundry and I'm still salty about it.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Re: Kitty Korner -- why does Vincent T get relative anonymity, but he has to point out the cat owner's full name and where she goes to school? It's creepy.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Typical narc parent, hearing what she wants to hear. "Look honey, this letter is all about us! A mother knows."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I know we've occasionally bitched about some of the Crabgrass stories that went a little too long and were a bit off the wall, so I'll say this - I really liked that last arc. It was paced well, was funny, and touching without being saccharine.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jules half-assing research for her rushed strip? No! Laughing at the nuclear burn of "had more straightforward, believable characters and storylines" referring to Jamesallen, of all things.

This Crabgrass was very good!

Big laughs at Josh own goaling himself at the last second. A surprisingly poignant insight from the Retail author again, as per usual. Give a manager enough sunk cost fallacy and what choice do they have but to believe?

Jucika "268 - Jucika In The Bistro"

"269 - Jucika's Fashion Show"

"strandruha = beachwear
fürdéshez = for bathing
fürdés után = after bathing"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It's loving incredible that Jules has cocked up Mark Trail so badly that people are genuinely admitting that Jam Esallen did it better.

They're right.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Presto posted:

Someone wrote a letter to the editor of the Washington Post about Mark Trail:

I’d really like to know whether this person means James Allen or an earlier version of the strip.