Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

exquisite tea posted:

Aloy's main struggle is that most people fail to see her as a real person. Everyone she meets knows her as an outcast, or a savior, or a symbol for something or other, which frustrates her endlessly. But for most of the first two games, Aloy doesn't actually see herself as a real person, either. She chooses to carry a tremendous burden alone, nearly dies for it, and only in seeing her literal reflection made manifest comes to realize that she can walk her own path. One thing that feels like a deliberate choice is that Aloy's voice is noticeably huskier in HFW, as if she's trying to imitate Elisabet Sobeck even harder.

Interesting, didn't finish either of the games so didn't pick up on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bussamove posted:

I loved that when I read it.

The ultimate Combat Wheelchair.

It's like a dragoon

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

oldpainless posted:

I’m playing Horizon Dawn forbidden west and I appreciate that Aloy just does not give a poo poo about anything when dealing with people

Except for her new girlfriend, at any rate.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Just occurs to me how many characters lose limbs in the Metal Gear Solid franchise

Ocelot loses an arm to a Gray Fox
Gray Fox previously had lost an arm
Peter Stillman lost a leg from a failed bomb disposal
Venom Snake has his arm blown off
Kaz lost both his arm and foot
Skull Face also lost both an arm and foot
Solidus Snake had his arms and legs harvested so Big Boss could be whole again
Liquid Snake's arm is harvested so Ocelot can be whole again
Raiden lost two arms

Something something arms race something

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

credburn posted:

Just occurs to me how many characters lose limbs in the Metal Gear Solid franchise

Raiden lost two arms

Would you say it is A Farewell To Arms?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ImpAtom posted:

Sounds like a bit of a reach

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

F

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Technically Raiden lost his whole drat body.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ImpAtom posted:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've beaten three of the bosses in The Pathless, and like how distinct they feel because of how the final stages flow differently. Also they have cool designs, like the snake who in her corrupted form has become a Hydra, and each stage of the fight she gets more and more heads. Also the puzzles are quite fun to solve.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

credburn posted:

Raiden lost two arms

Lest we forget the zadoorknob Zadornov, the original ROCKET PEACE!

https://i.imgur.com/wIKZmfp.mp4

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Sea of Stars and it was awesome too to bottom, loved the poo poo out of it. If you were a fan of Chrono Trigger and those early FF games, go play it.

Anyway it was brought up on Kickstarter and they added everyone who donated to the kickstarter into the game in a pretty big way that I won’t spoil but secondarily, everyone who were backers got into the credits and it’s a LONG rear end list. It was just cool to see all the appreciation they have for the backers.

They were shooting for 250k downloads in a year but they hit it on the release day.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

BioEnchanted posted:

I've beaten three of the bosses in The Pathless, and like how distinct they feel because of how the final stages flow differently. Also they have cool designs, like the snake who in her corrupted form has become a Hydra, and each stage of the fight she gets more and more heads. Also the puzzles are quite fun to solve.

I really enjoyed this game, but felt it needed one less area than it has.

That movement/traversal, though, is :kiss:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The Surge 2 is a fun little Soulslike with a lot to recommend it, including a REALLY nice parry system and excellent combat mechanics that make every victory feel earned, and every loss a definite case of "OK, I hosed up right there".

It also has one of those systems where players can leave markers for each other as hints. Rather than a vocabulary of words, however, it's a vocabulary of symbols, and each marker can have up to three.

So "Fatal Drop ahead" might be communicated by down arrow, down arrow, skull. "Treasure in here" is arrow, gold pile, arrow. "Shortcut to base via the left staircase" is left arrow, up arrow, campfire.

It's a really nice system that isn't language-bound like other soulsikes use, which means that it can be used by anyone in the world.

Of course, gamers gotta be gamers....

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't think that's purely a gaming attitude

The surge 2 is a good game though. I replayed the surge 1 recently and should go through 2 again.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

I’ve never seen an Italian jump with a cape, so I thought they all could do that

The pyuma man.... the pyuuma man

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Surge 1 and 2 are real hidden gems, yeah. I loved chilling at the drive in with the one dlc friend :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

credburn posted:

Raiden lost two arms

More like the MIC costs you an arm and a leg.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Breetai posted:

It's a really nice system that isn't language-bound like other soulsikes use, which means that it can be used by anyone in the world.

The Fromsoft messages are actually translated per-language, so leaving a message down in your language shows the same message in someone else's native language when they read it.

Which did lead to translation comedies, like players worldwide wondering why people were leaving messages like "fort,night" and pondering if there was some secret nighttime event at the castle. Likewise in English, we were confused by "grass ahead" or "no horse ahead" being slang that translated more to "funny ahead" and "annoying poo poo ahead".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
dog ahead

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Armored Core 6:

Firstly, it had no issues seeing my Dualsense on PC.

Secondly I've rebound the assault boost button to square (and put quick boost on L3) and the tutorial missons reflect this, so whatever wacky button swaps you do it still tells you the right things to do.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bewilderment posted:

The Fromsoft messages are actually translated per-language, so leaving a message down in your language shows the same message in someone else's native language when they read it.

Which did lead to translation comedies, like players worldwide wondering why people were leaving messages like "fort,night" and pondering if there was some secret nighttime event at the castle. Likewise in English, we were confused by "grass ahead" or "no horse ahead" being slang that translated more to "funny ahead" and "annoying poo poo ahead".

Now I’m just wondering what Japan made of “amazing chest ahead”

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I'm a little over twenty hours into Sea of Stars and I've really enjoyed it so far, surprisingly so because I have very little experience with the era of RPGs the game takes inspiration from. One of the aspects I'm most impressed by is the quality of the character designs, right down to an enemy I recently encountered that's just straight-up Evil Daffy Duck.

It's so 1:1 that I almost feel like there's a joke I'm missing, but even without that knowledge I still snicker every time his portrait pops up on screen.

Barry Bluejeans has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Sep 16, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While it's buggy as hell in some ways, like NPCs not spawning so I couldn't start a side-mission buggy, I'm enjoying the action in the Saints Row reboot, although I've only done the opening so far. Stuff like grappling an APC to a jet so that you can climb the APC to get on top of the jet, then hanging off of it to shoot guys is genuinely quite fun and the game has charm when it isn't breaking.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Love how the party members get spattered with blood during fights in Baldur's Gate 3, then proceed to have important NPC conversations or chats in camp while still drenched in it. This feels particularly appropriate for romantic conversations with Lae'zel.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

It's so 1:1 that I almost feel like there's a joke I'm missing, but even without that knowledge I still snicker every time his portrait pops up on screen.

That has happened in canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQgmV8PHSZA

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So far the story missions in Saints Row ps5 are still pretty fun and the writing feels like it's hitting it's stride. In the second mission it's a pretty wild time involving a convoy that completely goes haywire and a monster truck gets involved that you gradually strip the armour of away to nothing by firing at it which is a fun visual gag, and it has some amusing dialog, like this one guy who introduces himself as a Maverick, and then by the end of the mission is like "I don't want to be a maverick anymore ;_;" because of how insane things got.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

So far the story missions in Saints Row ps5 are still pretty fun and the writing feels like it's hitting it's stride. In the second mission it's a pretty wild time involving a convoy that completely goes haywire and a monster truck gets involved that you gradually strip the armour of away to nothing by firing at it which is a fun visual gag, and it has some amusing dialog, like this one guy who introduces himself as a Maverick, and then by the end of the mission is like "I don't want to be a maverick anymore ;_;" because of how insane things got.

The writing and characters in the reboot are all good, but something consistently feels off with the controls.

One of the best side quests so far has been a mission where you go in on a LARP thing and at first, the Boss is down on it, but by the end of the mission, they are gungho.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bewilderment posted:

On the other hand, everyone can appreciate the umpteen “dog” messages near any given dog. Kinda weird how there’s no turtle message for all those hairy, barking turtles with long noses though…

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My introduction to FomSoft's message thing is in the beginning of Dark Souls, where a helpful message said "try jumping," and I saw what I assumed was a tutorial ghost demonstrating what that message meant.

Like it took a while for me to figure out that wasn't a tutorial ghost. I probably jumped off that cliff three or four times before trying something different.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Heaven's Vault has a surprising amount of stuff going on in the game. I made it up to a certain point (a big temple full of robots IIRC) last time I played it and then stopped because it was a pain in the rear end getting around (some patch in the interim fixed this and now my robot buddy can just drive to any place I've been to before). This time around I'm choosing different dialogue options and seeing things play out slightly differently, as well as uncovering some stuff I didn't see last time.

I dunno exactly why I never managed to find this out, but last time around I definitely didn't know that the Lush Moon you find is actually A graveyard, complete with a recording of the previous emperor and I definitely didn't spend as much time talking to Tapi and Timor, who both actually give you a lot more information and artifacts to translate than I remember.

What's interesting is that I definitely do remember going to the next area that I'm about to go to, but I also don't remember being told to go there by my mother figure/boss from the university. I just sorta showed up there last time, by following some of the translation clues or finding other artifacts. There's also a funeral scene that I entirely missed, and now I want to play through this much of the game a third time just so I can be a huge atheist prick during the services for this rear end in a top hat university professor I never met and who probably isn't dead

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

The writing and characters in the reboot are all good, but something consistently feels off with the controls.

One of the best side quests so far has been a mission where you go in on a LARP thing and at first, the Boss is down on it, but by the end of the mission, they are gungho.

The aiming feels like crap. But I’m glad they kept the tradition of insurance fraud just refusing to spawn cars for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bawk posted:

Heaven's Vault has a surprising amount of stuff going on in the game. I made it up to a certain point (a big temple full of robots IIRC) last time I played it and then stopped because it was a pain in the rear end getting around (some patch in the interim fixed this and now my robot buddy can just drive to any place I've been to before). This time around I'm choosing different dialogue options and seeing things play out slightly differently, as well as uncovering some stuff I didn't see last time.

I dunno exactly why I never managed to find this out, but last time around I definitely didn't know that the Lush Moon you find is actually A graveyard, complete with a recording of the previous emperor and I definitely didn't spend as much time talking to Tapi and Timor, who both actually give you a lot more information and artifacts to translate than I remember.

What's interesting is that I definitely do remember going to the next area that I'm about to go to, but I also don't remember being told to go there by my mother figure/boss from the university. I just sorta showed up there last time, by following some of the translation clues or finding other artifacts. There's also a funeral scene that I entirely missed, and now I want to play through this much of the game a third time just so I can be a huge atheist prick during the services for this rear end in a top hat university professor I never met and who probably isn't dead

Heavens Vault actually has a New Game Plus option, so keep going after you finish your first playthrough. You'll retain your translation dictionary, but all the translations get much more complex on each playthrough. (Eg; They'll change from something like "Go Left" to "Venture Forth in a Westerly Direction". Same general thing, but a bit more complex to give you something to decipher a second time.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I only found out about this because they had a "😭 Kairosoft games are made in Unity 😭 " sale on steam, but apparently Kairosoft has ported dozens of their previously mobile-only games over to pc the last year.
(They make tons of small, cute simulation/management games, originally for japanese phones pre-smartphone era. They first got some attention on Android and iOS in the west with Game Dev Story like a decade+ ago.)

The controls are a bit wonky (Still obviously designed for touchscreen, so primarily mouse with click+drag navigation.).
But the games are still just adorable time wasters, full of cute little things.
(Thank you dear customer, for buying 5 umbrellas, 2 game cards, 5 different drinks, and 10 different rice balls. Our humble little convenience store is supported by patrons like you walking out the door with a stack of 10+ shopping bags.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

haveblue posted:

Now I’m just wondering what Japan made of “amazing chest ahead”

they probably got it they got puns and chests (both kinds) over there

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

they probably got it they got puns and chests (both kinds) over there

The joke relies on the word "chest" having two potentially relevant meanings. Sure, Japan has loads of puns, but they'll depend on different words and pairs of meanings. This is why the Dragon Quest translators are so highly-regarded. Those games are chock full of puns, both visual and textual, and the translators have to figure out how to make oftentimes entirely different jokes, without redoing any of the game art.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
we got their jokes too

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Heavens Vault actually has a New Game Plus option, so keep going after you finish your first playthrough. You'll retain your translation dictionary, but all the translations get much more complex on each playthrough. (Eg; They'll change from something like "Go Left" to "Venture Forth in a Westerly Direction". Same general thing, but a bit more complex to give you something to decipher a second time.)

Oh hell yeah! That's the one thing I wanted, some more complex translations. They're easy enough that I've learned a few things about the language that aren't getting spelled out by any character yet, I was hoping it would get to the point that I need a notebook to keep track

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The joke relies on the word "chest" having two potentially relevant meanings. Sure, Japan has loads of puns, but they'll depend on different words and pairs of meanings. This is why the Dragon Quest translators are so highly-regarded. Those games are chock full of puns, both visual and textual, and the translators have to figure out how to make oftentimes entirely different jokes, without redoing any of the game art.

Asterix is well-regarded for similar reasons, given almost literally every character not a historical figure has a pun for a name, along with all the wordplay dialogue, and they gotta figure out translations for all of em.

Sometimes they luck out, Dogmatix basically has the same meaning as the original French name and is also a dog pun on top of that. (because the character is a dog)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is why the Dragon Quest translators are so highly-regarded. Those games are chock full of puns, both visual and textual, and the translators have to figure out how to make oftentimes entirely different jokes, without redoing any of the game art.
Zere and Zere Rocks. :allears:

e: which turns out to be a pun added by the translators! It blends in seamlessly with all the other fantastic puns.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Sep 17, 2023