Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Almost just rear-ended someone while driving because I was distracted by the sign a restaurant had out on the sidewalk which literally said "Get brunch or die trying".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
When googling about this debate I found an interresting article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8552225/

quote:

Eight studies (9164 participants) were included after screening 153 articles. Analyses showed statistically significant differences between N95 respirator versus surgical mask use to prevent influenza‐like‐illness (risk ratio [RR] = 0.81, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.68–0.94, P < 0.05), non‐influenza respiratory viral infection (RR = 0.62, 95% CI = 0.52–0.74, P < 0.05), respiratory viral infection (RR = 0.73, 95% CI = 0.65–0.82, P < 0.05), severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS‐CoV) 1 and 2 virus infection (RR = 0.17, 95% CI = 0.06–0.49, P < 0.05), and laboratory‐confirmed respiratory viral infection (RR = 0.75, 95% CI = 0.66–0.84, P < 0.05). Analyses did not indicate statistically significant results against laboratory‐confirmed influenza (RR = 0.87, CI = 0.74–1.03, P > 0.05).

I could be misunderstanding the numbers it took a few reads through the discussion section to try to get what they were saying but afaict the RR is basically fraction of people you would expect to get sick if they had been wearing n95's instead of surgical masks. For a lot of stuff like the common cold it appears the surgical masks actually weren't doing much worse than the n95, but for specifically covid there's a pretty drastic reduction (down to 17%). That's not to say you shouldn't wear a surgical mask if that's all you've got, it still does seem to help, but the n95 is a huge step up.

Incidentally I don't think poppers is trolling much with their reason why they prefer surgical, in several of the articles I found it was specifically mentioned that discomfort from the n95 through long working hours/weeks often resulted in non-compliance from the medical staff (headaches came up several times) or frequent adjustments/taking off and on again which drastically lowered their effectiveness. For the most part not even doctors and nurses want to be wearing n95's all day, so it's not a surprise ordinary people wouldn't want to either.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Brunch is fun and tasty and it sounds like they have a sense of humor about it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Poppers posted:

I’ve worn a surgical mask every day in the hospital, at the grocery store, on public transit etc for years now and have yet to get sick from any of those places. I dunno dude, I’m not claiming you will absolutely never get a respiratory illness ever if you wear a surgical mask but they’re fairly effective. For me personally that’s good enough.

How do you know where you got sick from? And really what is your point? You presumably know there are dozens of different types of loops and straps on (K)N95s. If you don't feel like trying out a variety until you find a comfortable one then good (bad) for you but why do you feel compelled to share this valuable anecdata?

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

PoundSand posted:

When googling about this debate I found an interresting article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8552225/

I could be misunderstanding the numbers it took a few reads through the discussion section to try to get what they were saying but afaict the RR is basically fraction of people you would expect to get sick if they had been wearing n95's instead of surgical masks. For a lot of stuff like the common cold it appears the surgical masks actually weren't doing much worse than the n95, but for specifically covid there's a pretty drastic reduction (down to 17%). That's not to say you shouldn't wear a surgical mask if that's all you've got, it still does seem to help, but the n95 is a huge step up.

Incidentally I don't think poppers is trolling much with their reason why they prefer surgical, in several of the articles I found it was specifically mentioned that discomfort from the n95 through long working hours/weeks often resulted in non-compliance from the medical staff (headaches came up several times) or frequent adjustments/taking off and on again which drastically lowered their effectiveness. For the most part not even doctors and nurses want to be wearing n95's all day, so it's not a surprise ordinary people wouldn't want to either.

Even if the relative risk for a surgical mask is like 5 times as likely to be infected vs. a respirator, that might still be a really small absolute risk of infection since respirators work so well. Good study!

eXXon posted:

How do you know where you got sick from? And really what is your point? You presumably know there are dozens of different types of loops and straps on (K)N95s. If you don't feel like trying out a variety until you find a comfortable one then good (bad) for you but why do you feel compelled to share this valuable anecdata?

I have gotten sick exactly twice since covid started and both times from very obvious exposures in the house. So pretty sure personally.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
my step dad has gone the whole pandemic without masking as has never gotten Covid. I have gone the whole pandemic wearing a respirator and have also never gotten Covid. so according to my study there is 0 difference between masking and non masking. you are welcome for this helpful anecdote on Covid safety

edit: if you wish to question my anecdote you will need to post at least 6 peer reviewed studies, thanks

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Poppers posted:

Umm because I have to wear a mask for like 80 hours a week at work and N95s give me headaches

Find a different brand or a KN94.

And no, just because you weren't noticibly ill doesn't mean you weren't or didn't make someone else ill.

Honestly, just probe her for threadshitting and be done with.

Also, having had my rear end kicked by not covid respiratory things before this and mask headaches, I'd take the mask headaches any time of the week, and thrice on sunday.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Sep 16, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

That’s true I wasn’t sick if I wasn’t sick lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nexous posted:

my step dad has gone the whole pandemic without masking as has never gotten Covid. I have gone the whole pandemic wearing a respirator and have also never gotten Covid. so according to my study there is 0 difference between masking and non masking. you are welcome for this helpful anecdote on Covid safety

edit: if you wish to question my anecdote you will need to post at least 6 peer reviewed studies, thanks

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

I currently don't have any listerine but I might decide to place a grocery delivery order so I'll grab it if I do.

I have the epothex spray which has a bit of alcohol so it stings slighty on initial spraying. I will offer it to her to try as that's a good idea but she's 6 and a big baby about stuff like that so I don't anticipate it going well.
Yeah Epothex is the only one sold in the US, I got Betadine from Canada.
XClear has xylitol and a kids version and xylitol has shown to be roughly equivalent to iota carrageenan (70% reduction vs 80%) and it’s cheaper to boot and available in the US fairly widely (saw it in a local Walgreens and was surprised).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Oracle posted:

XClear has xylitol and a kids version and xylitol has shown to be roughly equivalent to iota carrageenan (70% reduction vs 80%) and it’s cheaper to boot and available in the US fairly widely (saw it in a local Walgreens and was surprised).

Mentioned before but xylitol is very poisonous to dogs.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Oracle posted:

I’ve been using kids Xlear for quite a while now and it’s easy enough for my kid to use it herself . it lasts a very long time if there like 2x sprays a day.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's wastewater update covering the past three months using the state's downloadable excel report and supplemented with scaled National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) data when available. Solid lines are from WADoH data and white diamond dots applied to scale are from most recent CDC/NWSS data (if available).

I've distributed 30 sewersheds across 5 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. See the tables below each image for definitions of WADoH IDs, Date last sampled, Trend (based on change between the averages of the two most recent weeks measured), and Service Area for city names/regions.

Bold lines are new since previous update.

Northwest Washington

pre:
Northwest Washington
County:		ID:	Date:	Trend:	Service Area:
Island		OH	Sep-08	UP	Oak Harbor
Island		COUP	Sep-08	UP	Coupeville
Jefferson	PT	Sep-06	DOWN	Port Townsend
Mason		HP	Sep-05	UP	Rustlewood, Shelton
Whatcom		LYN	Sep-07	STEADY	Lynden
King + Snohomish

pre:
King + Snohomish
King		BWT	Sep-10	DOWN	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	Sep-10	UP	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	Sep-10	DOWN	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	Sep-11	STEADY	Lynnwood
Snohomish	ARL	Sep-12	DOWN	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	Sep-10	DOWN	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	Sep-10	UP	Stanwood
Southwest Washington

pre:
Southwest Washington
Clark		MRPK	Sep-11	STEADY	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK	Sep-06	DOWN	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	Sep-06	STEADY	Vancouver Westside
Pierce		CC	Sep-08	STEADY	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	Sep-07	DOWN	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	Sep-06	DOWN	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		KEN	Aug-07	n/a	Kennewick
Benton		WRCH	Sep-07	STEADY	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	Aug-31	n/a	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	Sep-06	UP	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	Sep-07	UP	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	Sep-07	STEADY	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	Sep-07	UP	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	Sep-08	STEADY	Pasco
Spokane		RP	Sep-06	UP	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	Sep-08	STEADY	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	Sep-06	UP	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	Sep-08	DOWN	Pullman

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Pingui posted:

It is a reference to this (which is about reopening schools):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwoUzgDLM7E

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I assume that you mean 'people who are asking questions but not fully folowing the thread orthodoxy of 100% safety precautions. FWIW, I feel like the thread has been a super helpful place for mostly-lurkers like myself who don't take the full-tilt set of precautions like many others.

The wedding and reception are outside, and we won't be doing any indoor dining while traveling. Thanks to the thread's mask guidance (way better than other sources) I haven't gone to any public indoor space without my 3m Aura. I'm the only teacher at my school who still wears a mask throughout the day, and I got the school to put in additional HEPA filters in my classroom. Sometimes we have friends over in our home, and we have HEPA filters running in every room. We tried to do as much socializing as we could this summer when it was easy for people to go with the outdoor option, and we're gonna be avoiding any big indoor gatherings this winter. Only doing takeout from restaurants, or dining at places with big areas for outdoor dining.

I traveled for a wedding this summer, and I am now I'm going to another. I think the risk-reward tradeoff for this scenario is probably worth it, particularly taking precautions while we travel.

I have a feeling there are a ton of folks who are about at this level of precaution. Doing things to reduce risks, but with a higher risk tolerance than some of the folks in the thread. I dunno much that makes us 'open biden' folks. I wish there was a greater level of public precaution too, and I was thankful to be teaching outside of the US in 2020-2022.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i'll be honest, i never liked the thread catchphrase 'open biden'

gently caress you pelosi for introducing it to the world

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

It is not something you're supposed to appreciate lmao.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pingui posted:

Seems fine.

hmm, I wonder if there should be a new variant name issued

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

road potato posted:

and I got the school to put in additional HEPA filters in my classroom

pretty wild that another poster's school legit banned HEPA filters from their kid's classroom because having cleaner air was "unfair" lol

road potato posted:

I have a feeling there are a ton of folks who are about at this level of precaution. Doing things to reduce risks, but with a higher risk tolerance than some of the folks in the thread. I dunno much that makes us 'open biden' folks. I wish there was a greater level of public precaution too, and I was thankful to be teaching outside of the US in 2020-2022.

i think a fair handful of people in thread are approximately same precaution levels as you. and imo that's fine. my personal bar for covid behavior is you should do enough such that if everyone made the same effort you did, the reproduction rate would fall below 1.00 and we'd eradicate it, and i'm pretty confident you clear that bar. i don't think it's realistic to get your covid risk to zero (like, what if you have to see an emergency dentist? etc. it's just not feasible) so you have to find somewhere else to draw the line. "i'm doing my part" seems like a fair ask given that "zero risk" is off the table, i think

Soap Scum has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Sep 16, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Soap Scum posted:

pretty wild that another poster's school legit banned HEPA filters from their kid's classroom because having cleaner air was "unfair" lol

it is unfair to the administrators who don't want to think about airborne anything

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

in preparation for the upcoming wave I contacted 10 different concierge doctors who all wrote me prescriptions for paxlovid

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

bedpan posted:

in preparation for the upcoming wave I contacted 10 different concierge doctors who all wrote me prescriptions for paxlovid

do you use the concierge service that operates exclusively by ripping paxlovid pills out of the mouths of covid-stricken orphans or

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

road potato posted:

If you’re wearing an Aura indoors in public and sticking to outdoor activities you’re probably in the upper 90th percentile of the population with regards to avoiding infection.

Edit: Also just in general go to the dentist- tooth problems can really wreck you if left untreated

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Sep 16, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Wearing any kind of mask anywhere is probably 90th percentile at this point lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

road potato posted:

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

yeah sorry i wasn't specifically dragging you or anything, i hope you're able to stay safe and off the spreadsheet

in spite of what the modbrained weirdos who spend their spare time whining about it insist, this thread is VASTLY more engageable than during e.g. the first omicron wave

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
It’s also kinda funny that PPE comfort goes up with the protection level, the PAPR is pretty dang comfy but I’m only wearing it when dealing with things as infectious as SARS-2 or worse

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

U-DO Burger posted:

Good morning. Sunday morning. :jebstare:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

Good morning. Sunday morning. :jebstare:

and she’s running for another term :whitewater:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Soap Scum posted:

do you use the concierge service that operates exclusively by ripping paxlovid pills out of the mouths of covid-stricken orphans or

I see it as helping those orphans because children can't get covid so their prescriptions must have been written by some quack

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

bedpan posted:

I see it as helping those orphans because children can't get covid so their prescriptions must have been written by some quack

:hmmrona:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CVS scheduling says "Vaccine(s): COVID-19 2023-2024 (Moderna)"

is that the new one?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

is that the new one?

yep

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

actionjackson posted:

is that the new one?

Make sure they actually have it in the store before you go
People ITT have gone only to be told that while appointments were being made, the new shots hadn't actually arrived yet.

Indoor Dying has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Sep 16, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Bivalent was deauthorized so stores shouldn’t have other boosters

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Maybe also check w/ insurance to make sure they cover it first, we're seeing accounts of people being forced to pay out of pocket because not all insurance companies are prepared to handle covid booster claims yet

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Soap Scum posted:

i'm with you on that. a lot of my "it's worth it for me to do it" stance on iota carrageenan specifically is that in addition to having imo the most convincing evidence of the nasal spray ingredients (not to say it's totally convincing!), it legit costs like $50 for a lifetime supply. like here's 100g of iota carrageenen from grainger for $35. add a few bucks for a spray bottle, maybe some time/utilities to do the sterile solution mixing, and that's all you need for literally years.

it would be one thing if i had to take a $20 hit every month or whatever it is when i use up the bottle, but given that it costs me effectively nothing, i figure i don't mind the "you wasted time" ego hit if it turns out it's not actually effective.

Circling back to this, what is the ratio of sterile distilled water to iota carrengeenan to go for?

Completely anecdotally but I've been using Betadine twice a day and saline nasal irrigation at night while being around several COVID positive people at work (OPEN BIDEN) and haven't succumbed yet.

edit: duh I could just look at the bottle, 1.2mg per ml

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Lol the tools

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oracle posted:

Quoting this to say thanks and to find it later.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have a booster appointment later this week. Woke up with a sore throat and am getting extremely faint lines on rapid tests. Whoo...

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

eXXon posted:

I have a booster appointment later this week. Woke up with a sore throat and am getting extremely faint lines on rapid tests. Whoo...

sounds like the booster found you :smithcloud:

hang in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

eXXon posted:

this was me one year ago :smith:

good luck goon