Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Killer robot posted:

Joined my current job when it was a startup. Original cast, baybee. :cool:

Yeah but wait until Netflix cancels it after two seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Killer robot posted:

Joined my current job when it was a startup. Original cast, baybee. :cool:

give me a job

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

What the hell is an ice cream truck??

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Those white vans that say FREE ICE CREAM on the side

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

freeedr posted:

What the hell is an ice cream truck??

What clint Howard drives

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Do they ever leave the ice-cream store?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Philippe posted:

Do they ever leave the ice-cream store?

Why the hell would they leave their home this question makes me so mad

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Why the hell would they leave their home this question makes me so mad

:stay:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

But... From what I understand, Dorsey was the reason Twitter was full of - and did not act on - nazis and other universally reviled shitheads. When I asked what the point was in Bluesky, given that, the answer I got was "no worries, he doesn't have anything to do with it day-to-day, he just disappeared".

So A: it seems like it would be a net positive if he did gently caress off, and B: relying on a key figure in one's business just loving off in order to not cause everything to go to poo poo seems like an incredibly stupid way to run a business.

you are special

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

..........at least jack dorsey is a billionaire you can trust to gently caress off and get out of the way of his business..........?

it's not much but it's ten steps ahead of Elon

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Dabir posted:

a billionaire you can trust

No such thing

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dabir posted:

a billionaire you can trust

:catstare:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I trust billionaires to do a great job on a one way trip to mars or the sun so I think we should get on that ASAP

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I trust all billionaires to behave in the most self centered and terrible way possible.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

BonHair posted:

I trust all billionaires to behave in the most self centered and terrible way possible.

That Warren Buffet guy seems okay, I Iike how he's actually trying to give most of his money away. And then there was that founder dude from Patagonia who gave up his position so all the proceeds could go toward fighting climate change, that was kinda neat.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

drat

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Modal Auxiliary posted:

That Warren Buffet guy seems okay, I Iike how he's actually trying to give most of his money away.

Trying real hard.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

No hes giving it away after he dies, the ultimate philanthropist

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
doesnt he own bnsf and also he and biden crushed all the railroad strikes and attempts to unionize because train companies set record profits every year so we cant afford to give over worked employees extra sick days and a couple days time off.

no all the train derailments lately arent related what do you mean

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tree Bucket posted:

...is it possible you've taken some damage, friend?

Stumbled across a subreddit that appears to mainline slightly depressing memes, those can be fun every once in a while. But balance is important too:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Modal Auxiliary posted:

That Warren Buffet guy seems okay, I Iike how he's actually trying to give most of his money away. And then there was that founder dude from Patagonia who gave up his position so all the proceeds could go toward fighting climate change, that was kinda neat.

Billionaires don’t give away things out of the goodness of their heart, they do so to buy PR/influence. Just because the thing they’re trying to influence is something you agree with doesn’t make it a good thing.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Freaquency posted:

Billionaires don’t give away things out of the goodness of their heart, they do so to buy PR/influence. Just because the thing they’re trying to influence is something you agree with doesn’t make it a good thing.

by this logic, a billionaire donating to an objectively worthwhile cause is still wrong and shouldn't happen as far as you're concerned just bc said billionaire has an ulterior motive? absolutely hosed logic.

you mention the "b" word in an SA thread and everyone comes out of the woodwork to let everyone else know how much they DON'T SUPPORT RICH PEOPLE <:mad:> go hang out with the vegans and other people who care.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ShoogaSlim posted:

by this logic, a billionaire donating to an objectively worthwhile cause is still wrong and shouldn't happen as far as you're concerned just bc said billionaire has an ulterior motive? absolutely hosed logic.

you mention the "b" word in an SA thread and everyone comes out of the woodwork to let everyone else know how much they DON'T SUPPORT RICH PEOPLE <:mad:> go hang out with the vegans and other people who care.

I think you have a point, but god drat are you hurting it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I just dont get it if you dont want people accumulating billions of dollars what type of power over others do you want them to accumulate

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's probably possible for billionaires to occasionally donate money to some stuff that isn't bad but that still doesn't mean we should care or not tax the gently caress out of them

They shouldn't be able to say "no I don't want to get taxed, I should get to choose what my money is used for as long as it goes to stuff that's some sort of dubious nonprofit"

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Freaquency posted:

I don't think he's a saint, I just think he's doing more net good than the billionaires who spend their money mutating social media apps into hate-speech echo chambers, trafficking child prostitutes, or making torture videos.

Like, he's the only billionaire I know that thinks billionaires should pay the same/more taxes than the middle class, they literally named this idea after him. I'm sure he's some brand of dirtball, but I just think he's on the less lovely end of the spectrum.

Modal Auxiliary has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Sep 16, 2023

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

what mainlining capitalism does to a mfer

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Extremely appropriate redtext goddamn

mystes
May 31, 2006

it was probably actually a joke to be fair

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

*chuckles* looks like none of you are immune to propaganda

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I’m willing to believe it’s theoretically possible for someone to become a billionaire in a non-horrifying way (an extremely successful musician* for example), but deciding it’s okay to stay a billionaire after achieving that means that they’ve become a bad person if they weren’t one to begin with.

*I say theoretically because I don’t think this has happened yet. I think all billionaire musicians so far got their through their ownership of businesses, i.e. how normal billionaires do.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mystes posted:

it was probably actually a joke to be fair

/ye olde "I was just pretending to be r*tarded" comic

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Skeletor? I 'ardly knew 'er.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I don't think he's a saint, I just think he's doing more net good than the billionaires who spend their money mutating social media apps into hate-speech echo chambers, trafficking child prostitutes, or making torture videos.

Like, he's the only billionaire I know that thinks billionaires should pay the same/more taxes than the middle class, they literally named this idea after him. I'm sure he's some brand of dirtball, but I just think he's on the less lovely end of the spectrum.

Maybe he’s a good guy and maybe his heart is in the right place, there’s no real way for me to know. What I do know is that the foundation that was started is still under the control of the Chouinard family and it’s existence just so happens to save the inheritors over a billion dollars between sales and estate taxes. The overarching thesis amongst all of the charitable endeavors founded by billionaires is that they are the best arbiters of what is an effective use of money, not the government and not any other NGO. I’m glad that he wants to apparently save the environment but cutting out government and trying to do it himself is foolish.

ShoogaSlim posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?lang=en

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No one does anything that is important enough to justify a net worth above maybe a few million. If you're a billionaire, you're blatantly profiting off of other people's work, and a whole lot of it. If you want to be not a bad person, you gotta change whatever you're doing so that you drop below at least 100 million dollaroos, and preferably a lot lower. And then you're not a billionaire anymore. Handing out charity while still accumulating the same wealth again is just optics. Sure, it's better than spending it on anti abortion lobbying, but ultimately it's a matter of degree of being a horrible person.

Oh, and can I get a large Pepsi?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

BonHair posted:

No one does anything that is important enough to justify a net worth above maybe a few million. If you're a billionaire, you're blatantly profiting off of other people's work, and a whole lot of it. If you want to be not a bad person, you gotta change whatever you're doing so that you drop below at least 100 million dollaroos, and preferably a lot lower. And then you're not a billionaire anymore. Handing out charity while still accumulating the same wealth again is just optics. Sure, it's better than spending it on anti abortion lobbying, but ultimately it's a matter of degree of being a horrible person.

Oh, and can I get a large Pepsi?

We only serve Mr Pibb and Dr Thunder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004