Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

DoubleNegative posted:

Misc Training, which adds a shooting dummy and a melee practice dummy. They're mostly for recreation, because by default the shooting dummy has the same rate as training shooting as a billiards table.

Thanks. Also TIL billiards trains shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Thanks. Also TIL billiards trains shooting.

so does horseshoes/hoopstone, in the exact same way poker/chess/ur all train the intellectual skill: it's technically not nothing, but still too slow to be of any real practical utility.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Mindless posted:

15 hell, Revolvers for Toddlers. Send em after the rats and squirrels and train em up quick.

I had a group of refugees turn on me when they were alone with all my kids in the classroom/dining room/temple. Luckily I gave all my kids leftover machine guns, and the refugees had fists. It was very educational for my kids.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Played for about 3 hours on a modlist I had put together at the start of the year. I was getting some errors but everything was running smoothly than i realized I wasn't getting any raids and just tons of traders and camp quest events. Decided to say gently caress it and unsubscribe from everything. Gonna build a new mod list tomorrow. Are there any new mods that have come out recently I should keep an eye out for? I'm thinking about doing something with the new vehicle mods.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

I forget exactly how, but I upped the training rate on those shooting dummies to give actual useful returns and then just issue every pawn a heavy smg as soon as they turn 3.
If anyone else is interested in how:

Misc Training mod folder, 1.4/Defs/JobDefs/TrainingFacility_JobDefs.xml

joyXpPerTick is the relevant field

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

TaurusTorus posted:

I had a group of refugees turn on me when they were alone with all my kids in the classroom/dining room/temple. Luckily I gave all my kids leftover machine guns, and the refugees had fists. It was very educational for my kids.

This isn't how I remember revenge of the sith ending

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You what what they say: you can't spell sith without poo poo

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Give all your three year olds machine pistols so they can at least attempt to shoot the manhunter iguana or rat thats beelining for them.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Drone_Fragger posted:

Give all your three year olds machine pistols so they can at least attempt to shoot the manhunter iguana or rat thats beelining for them.

tec 9s for all first graders

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TheWeedNumber posted:

tec 9s for all first graders

hello, fellow american

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Rimworld, the place where 30-50 wild hogs every 3-5 minutes is a guarantee.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Delicious bacon deliveries

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
This is why I install Hunt for Me and Kill for Me. That way I can have my 40-50 trained dinosaurs as predator seeking missiles to protect my kids.

And I never need pawns on hunting! (though I need like 2-3 full time animal trainers)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So Unity has announced an incredibly aggressive monetization scheme. Does anyone know if there's been any announcement on if this will affect the game's development?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The announcement was yesterday, they've revised the terms of the announcement at least once, and Unity is currently facing blowback from all sectors even before the ramifications of their change percolate to the large companies that will be affected(Microsoft is probably going to be displeased if Unity tries to present them with a bill for gamepass game installs). You're probably not going to get concrete information about the future of existing Unity projects until the dust on this settles, even if Unity doesn't end up backpedaling in the face of popular and legal backlash.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Nintendo, Microsoft, and Epic will all take turns punching them in the gut until they relent. John Unity is basically mandating that he get a tip for each download and no company with power is going to let that fly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
from my perspective as a game dev unity has been deprecated for a long while now, and ever since godot made their last major release it's clear that they are taking aim directly at unity's skull. in terms of IF "will this affect development", the answer is absolutely yes if tynan has the slightest bit of technical sense in his head. traditionally, that has been the only kind of sense he's had, so my assumption is that he does. in terms of HOW, that's still very much an open question and i agree with the other posters, you're not going to hear anything about it until the dust settles quite a bit from where it was kicked up yesterday.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Does anybody know offhand what kind of mod could be causing this? It's been doing it for quite some time now. I'm not running anything that affects factions.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Rimworld doesn't seem like the kind of game that uses a lot of Unity-specific stuff. I doubt it would be fun to port to Godot, but I'd guess it would take a year rather than being plain impossible.

I am pretty worried for Hinterland. They only have The Long Dark out and switching engines looks like an impossibility. They use a ton of Unity-y things…

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The mod scene is pretty much a direct result of it being based on Unity

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oh yeah, that's quite hosed. Though modding should be even easier with Godot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kafouille posted:

The mod scene is pretty much a direct result of it being based on Unity

that has way more to do with it being a C# game than it being unity and godot supports using C# as a backing language

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
:dong:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nooo don't shoot at my poinis :(

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
literally an imperialist pig

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

literally an imperialist pig

an elite imperialist pig

the perfect moral vacuum

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:hmmyes:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So after busting the chops of VFE: Mechanoids in a previous post, I thought I'd give it another try.

Are the automatic drills just... busted? After I put them down, they'll spit out rock chunks a few times, but then just... stop. They're still taking fuel and working, just not outputting anything. Even having dev mode on and clicking the "Debug: Spawn Chunk" button does nothing.

e: finally figured out after reading Sarg snark at someone in the comments. it doesn't work if there are any chunks adjacent to it - including in storage next to it? What the hell, dogg

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 18, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm glad that the only VE mod I have is the one that lets you send your pyromaniacs away to the free money summer camp for problem children, and I won't be installing any others

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

death cob for cutie posted:

e: finally figured out after reading Sarg snark at someone in the comments. it doesn't work if there are any chunks adjacent to it - including in storage next to it? What the hell, dogg

The sheer contempt they have for users is incredible sometimes. Yeah, all too often people are idiots who don't read the fine print, but it doesn't cost you anything to be polite. And with something like a jammed extractor you could be throwing error letters instead of leaving people scratching their heads and insulting them when they start searching online for answers.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

isndl posted:

The sheer contempt they have for users is incredible sometimes. Yeah, all too often people are idiots who don't read the fine print, but it doesn't cost you anything to be polite. And with something like a jammed extractor you could be throwing error letters instead of leaving people scratching their heads and insulting them when they start searching online for answers.

Agree 100%. I fully expect some sort of stupid drama related to that arrogance to gently caress up their game in some way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm genuinely convinced that a large part of what stubbornly stops paid mods from being a thing is the fact that modders absolutely refuse to behave like professionals

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
big fish in small ponds get fat heads

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I feel like that's confusing developers with community managers/customer care/it/salespeople, it's the latter whose entire job it is to stroke the customer ego, it's just that most companies don't have developers interact directly with the public.

Sometimes it can be the same person, but most professional developers aren't that keen on it, nevermind for things they write in their spare time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

i'm genuinely convinced that a large part of what stubbornly stops paid mods from being a thing is the fact that modders absolutely refuse to behave like professionals

Let me tell you about a man named Arthmoor....

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the guild of professional video game modifiers is an employee-owned business that has a dedicated customer service department & self-directs via employee voting

it implodes and disbands like 1 week in, and/or instantly gets a huge number of severe legal complaints, becomes a lord of the flies or animal farm style job because the employees decide to vote like assholes, etc, etc

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Leal posted:

Let me tell you about a man named Arthmoor....

the truly depressing thing is that even when that was going down, arthmoor wasn't unique in the sheer weight of ego or volume of drama he brought

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

isndl posted:

While I'm not going to entirely excuse them being assholes, I have an extremely deep empathy well for modders for popular games, especially in the era of Steam Workshop. Modders get harassed and bugged on a basically constant basis by people who very frequently have 0% politeness for the modder or their work so I can understand why they'd run out of patience in general. An example of this is how a fair number of popular mods now have to put disclaimers about how the mod will or will not ever support Combat Extended because the CE community were so militantly obnoxious with spamming and harassing modders to make their mod compatible with CE.

God help you if you end up making a utility mod that ends up universally popular because every time a game updates you'll be the target of harassment campaigns demanding you update your mod to the new version fifteen seconds after the patch launches.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Private Speech posted:

I feel like that's confusing developers with community managers/customer care/it/salespeople, it's the latter whose entire job it is to stroke the customer ego, it's just that most companies don't have developers interact directly with the public.

Sometimes it can be the same person, but most professional developers aren't that keen on it, nevermind for things they write in their spare time.

I don't expect everyone to be highly sociable, but it's not a big ask to avoid insulting others. Sometimes you see long tirades that would take more effort to write than a curt "it's already answered in the FAQ".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Rimworld youtuber Mr Samuel Streamer does other games, often Bethesda, on his second channel and quit a run of Fallout 4 because some of the viewers were incredibly toxic and started harassing the mod authors or compiler of the modpack he was running because it was buggy