Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

magimix posted:

The first of many :black101:

I scoffed, thinking this is going to be like FTL where I only win it one time ever, but I have survived a few more since. Double pistol dude is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrianRx posted:

It's been reported that some members of Unity's board dumped stock right before the announcement.

These were scheduled sales. They really aren’t permitted to just dump stock like that. They are part of their compensation package so they schedule the sales months out.

quote:

edit: fuckin lol gamers

This came from a unity employee as well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MarcusSA posted:

These were scheduled sales. They really aren’t permitted to just dump stock like that. They are part of their compensation package so they schedule the sales months out.

lol

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Onean posted:

HoloCure at least doesn't have anything to worry about. They make no money, so they're never reaching the threshold needed for the install fee.

Every other indie team using Unity who's made a game you've heard of, though, has plenty to worry about.

I mean Unity has already betrayed their trust once, what reason is there to believe they won't do so again? If a free game is getting millions of downloads I would 100% expect Unity to try and slap some manner of charge on that.

The real reason Holocure doesn't have anything to worry about is because it's not a Unity project, it's Game Maker.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
...ah. I thought I remembered Kay Yu talking about it as if they used Unity, but I guess I misremembered.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Same here, could've sworn that splash screen was haunting it as so many others.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Speaking of HoloCure, if everything to do with vtubers and vtuber culture actively makes my skin crawl, can I just kind of pretend that part isn't a thing and play it, or does it really bash you over the head with the vtuber shtick and/or expect you to 'get it' to enjoy the game?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Ah, got it. Maybe I shouldn't rely on information from Kotaku.

quote:

The threats or the report(s) of the threats?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I've played about 20 hours of Holocure without knowing anything about vtubers.

I still have no idea what anything is outside of game mechanics contexts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Ah, got it. Maybe I shouldn't rely on information from Kotaku.

The threats or the report(s) of the threats?

The threat.

The stock sale thing isn’t that big of a deal tbh. Like one of the people they tried to gotcha it with has like millions of shares and sold like 50k over a few months.

I think someone mentioned the CEO has like 300k + shares so selling 50-60k isn’t really that much and not really a dump.

:shrug:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Speaking of HoloCure, if everything to do with vtubers and vtuber culture actively makes my skin crawl, can I just kind of pretend that part isn't a thing and play it, or does it really bash you over the head with the vtuber shtick and/or expect you to 'get it' to enjoy the game?

Yeah pretty much. I don't give a poo poo about vtubers and it mostly just seems like anime VS to me, with some tweaks I kinda like.

That said, dang, as impressive as this game is, think he really needs to buff... frankly drat near every collab. There's a handful of seemingly busted ones, a pile of mediocre ones, and then a handful of dogshit ones (looking directly at you, curse ball and crescent bardiche).

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Yeah for some reason the recent update hit just about every collab with a MASSIVE damage nerf to the point a lot of people are saying it's more optimal to just run all regular weapons. The only one I know off the top of my head wasn't nerfed was Eldritch Horror, which instead got a damage buff.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Failboattootoot posted:

Yeah pretty much. I don't give a poo poo about vtubers and it mostly just seems like anime VS to me, with some tweaks I kinda like.

That said, dang, as impressive as this game is, think he really needs to buff... frankly drat near every collab. There's a handful of seemingly busted ones, a pile of mediocre ones, and then a handful of dogshit ones (looking directly at you, curse ball and crescent bardiche).

I like Bardiche but I mostly use it on Bae who is alerady crit based, plus her ult making it go off non stop is nuts

https://i.imgur.com/9CkCw0u.mp4

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

The threat.

The stock sale thing isn’t that big of a deal tbh. Like one of the people they tried to gotcha it with has like millions of shares and sold like 50k over a few months.

:shrug:

Agreed, that's a dumb characterization. Aggrieved people are poor news sources. My bad.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I know basically nothing about vtubers and I love the game to pieces. Think of it in the same way as how you don't need to know Italian to enjoy Vampire Survivors.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, apologies for any that have already come up in the thread as trying to catch up all at once ASAP definitely invites some Saturation Situations.

Ahead: Fallen Slayers

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2352010/Fallen_Slayers/

quote:

Prepare to enter a world shrouded in darkness and chaos in Fallen Slayers, a thrilling dark fantasy action roguelite. As a fallen hero corrupted by the dark gods, you must heed their call and wage war against armies of mankind. With each run, choose a fallen hero, a dark god to follow, and a specific pact that binds you, unlocking unique abilities and curses that will shape the gameplay completely.

Features

Choose from a diverse cast of fallen heroes, each with their own unique abilities and playstyles, from the swift hunter to the resilient knight.
Engage in intense bullet heaven combat against the armies of mankind and defeat the leader of each city you invade.
Experiment with different combinations of dark gods, fallen heroes, and pacts to discover new strategies and synergies for each run, ensuring replayability.
Navigate a dynamic meta progression system, including a skill tree for each god and hero, allowing a lot of room for theory crafting.

Also: Crimson Crisis

https://store.steampowered.com/app/586290/Crimson_Crisis/

quote:

Embrace the chaos…

Battle aliens, shoot guns and, above all else, survive to work another day in Crimson Crisis, an action-roguelite set in a post-apocalyptic universe.
Persistence Is Key
Each playthrough of Crimson Crisis is unique due to an almost infinite pool of potential player builds. The journey stays the same but your route through them changes with each new run.
Discover how different elements of your arsenal and the status system sync as you battle in epic set pieces, traveling deeper and deeper into the Martian landscape
Terraforming, on a Budget
Working as a nameless face at the bottom of the ladder, you work at possibly the most budget-friendly terraforming company in existence, New Earth Landscaping, Inc. After receiving a request for a callout on Mars, you suddenly find your ship out of control and careering towards the surface.

One catastrophic crash later, work must go on and it’s up to you to discover the source of the danger threatening Mars’ core. Sounds easy enough… Right?
Bullet Heaven
Collect new weapons, expand your abilities and build the perfect arsenal to reach true bulletheaven. You’ll need to if you stand any kind of chance of taking on the multifarious Martian horde hellbent on destroying you. Maximize your offensive capabilities with randomly generated item attachments, which can change and intertwine with devastating status effects.

Everything, from your antizeno repulsor shield through to nano utility spiders and zenocide projectors, can be upgraded and modified. It’s
up to you to find out what works best for your style of play.
What’s Your Status?
Take advantage of the destructive status effects within the game, including Inflamed, Poisoned and Traumatised, which increase your offensive abilities in battle. Each status has unique properties and behaviours that can shift the tide of battle.

Inflamed - Burn your enemies with the inflamed effect. Inflict the status effect long enough to trigger fiery explosions that can spread to others.

Poisoned - Cause damage to your enemies over time with poison. Poison spreads to others close by, making them more susceptible to gunfire and other forms of damage.

Traumatized - Sometimes fear is the best weapon of all. Inflict the traumatized effect on enemies to make them more susceptible to critical hits. Instill enough fear in them and they’ll flee the battle, sparking similar reactions from those close by.
I’m Doing My Part
Fight alongside your friends with Crimson Crisis’ couch co-op mode. Double the weapons, double the action and double the danger. A simple drop in and out feature makes it easy for anyone to join the chaos.
Community-Driven Destruction
Expand your experience and cause even more destruction with mods. Crimson Crisis will support community-created mods from launch, allowing you to further add to your arsenal in the fight against the ferocious Martian horde.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Well, apologies for any that have already come up in the thread as trying to catch up all at once ASAP definitely invites some Saturation Situations.

Ahead: Fallen Slayers

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2352010/Fallen_Slayers/

Also: Crimson Crisis

https://store.steampowered.com/app/586290/Crimson_Crisis/

Crimson Crisis looks really cool, thanks for the update!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Also half relevant as Gaunt Valkyr was:

Spell Disk

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2292060/Spell_Disk/

quote:

Spell Disk is a rogue-lite action game with a unique synergy building mechanic so that your runs can never be the same. Strategize and create your own spell combo synergies to blast through enemies on your way! Each run is unique, so you must plan out how to build your power.

Discover combos and synergies that no one’s seen before! Maximize your power to better your chance of escaping the dungeon of Spell Disk.

Craft spells, disks, and artifacts during your run that synergies with each other in their own ways.

Unlock new weapons and powers to hack and slash through the enemies blocking your way.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Time for Survivors is nigh, but not in mere Demo form

Or even Prologue form

but the superior guise that only manifests from Chapter 0, which comes before the full game come end of the year'ish. Progress can then carry forward as per a newsblurb.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2455500/Time_Survivors_Chapter_0/

quote:

This is the free Chapter 0 to Time Survivors, a rogue-like bullet hell game where you can play as legendary historical characters like Abe Lincoln, Tesla, Cleopatra, and more, each now wielding unique custom abilities that revolutionize gameplay.

Unique Abilities
Transform into a flying ninja robot as Oda Nobunaga, create defensive barriers made of cherry trees as Abe Lincoln, or set the battlefield ablaze as Nero - the choice is yours. Each character brings a unique touch to every run, making each playthrough a unique adventure.

Travel through time and fight hordes of memorable enemies as you unravel a mystery. With over 150 different weapons, items, Relics, and buffs to choose from, every run is a unique experience. Fight skeletons in the Medieval Age, Velociraptors and T-Rexes in the Stone Age, and discover plenty of quests and secrets along the way.

Meta progression map
But that's not all - Time Survivors: Chapter 0 presents a new meta progression system, allowing you to unlock and upgrade characters, weapons, and stages, even game mode modifiers, using gold and resources collected during your runs. Tailor your progression to your preferred playstyle and strategically allocate resources to create your own game-breaking build.

What's in Chapter 0
2 stages full of enemies, secrets, mini bosses and end-stage bosses: The Dark Age and The Stone Age
8 unlockable characters from the entire human history, each with their own unique ability!
32 different weapons and buffs to choose from for a unique experience every run
8 Cursed Relics
41 different enemies
35 Unlockables

What's in the Full Game
9 stages full of enemies, secrets, mini bosses and end-stage boss
20 unlockable epic characters from the entire human history, each with their own unique ability!
50+ different weapons and buffs to choose from for a unique experience every run
20+ Cursed Relics
107 different enemies
80+ Unlockables

What you always get
Play as epic historic characters, each with their unique ability
Tree-based meta progression for all elements in the game
Casual quick 20 minute play sessions + plenty of quests and secrets to discover
A Sandbox mode to test any overpowered build and train against any enemy

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why not just update the prologue with the new stuff? seems weird to have to download a separate thing but whatever i guess.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I like how all of these bullet heavens add "prologue" or "year 0" to their titles as though their games have some incredible tale to spin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's due to how demos work on steam, i think. if they put out a demo in the form of a standalone free game, it shows up in new releases.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

but why would abe lincoln make walls of cherry trees, he had nothing to do with them

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat, hosed up a 160+ fishing spree with the easiest rod on Holocure.

At least I'm set on Tuna and Shrimp for a long time.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uHVSAPV-j0

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Holky gently caress.

Do any of you just run garlic? Garlic is the best.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Everyone says garlic is low-tier but gently caress the haters.

I mean it’s not great say 20 minutes in but it’s a huge XP boost being able to just run through poo poo in the early game.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Garlic used to be a snap keep for me but I usually aim for Silver Wind instead now that I'm deeper into the game.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
garlic is fine when you are starting out and havent unlocked much and packs of the lovely bats can still kill you. later on though it gets outdamaged by pretty much everything really badly

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pope Guilty posted:

Garlic is fine!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Garlic owns, even if the damage isn't great past a certain point the knockback enhancement is really useful. I just wish it paired with a different passive.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Tayter Swift posted:

Everyone says garlic is low-tier but gently caress the haters.

I mean it’s not great say 20 minutes in but it’s a huge XP boost being able to just run through poo poo in the early game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Considering how many evolved weapons are now 2-3 weapons leveled up fully and smashed together Garlic is incredible for greeding for 2+ of them and covering the gap neatly.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
garlic is really good and has been for a long time, the game is not just about which thing puts the highest number on the end screen

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Even if garlic is only good early game, like, a game is only 30 minutes long. This isn’t an MMO where the real 1000 hour game only starts at endgame. Having a really strong weapon for the 10-15min of the game before you get absurdly overpowered is better than having a dozen win-more evolutions at 28 minutes

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm becoming a big fan of the weapons that unify. Sure, the three spells take up 3 slots, but they're strong from the getgo and you're pretty much unstoppable once they join into one.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Trying to beat my lvl score of 2200 after 31 minutes, get out of here with that garlic

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
truly shocking to me that "kick-starting the exponential growth is an investment that pays off a lot later on" isn't an obvious thing

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
This is the problem with giving an inch to the pro-garlic cult. Pretty soon they start saying it's optimal to pick garlic. These are dark days for society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd take garlic multiple times if i could. it's just like cooking.