Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

w4ddl3d33 posted:

yeah, totally. i'm a little nervous cuz i'm new in this country, but now's as good a time as ever to learn about bike vocabulary, right?

stuff like this makes me annoyed at myself for always getting a mechanic to sort out my bike. i don't even know how to replace the inner tubes, i've always just paid £10 for somebody else to do it. we have free bike repair stops around the city but i don't know where to begin

How's the bike rehab process going?

Oldstench posted:

Well, I guess I'm kinda stuck here. I can't afford anything new that could support me and I don't know enough about buying/building/upgrading/repairing old bikes to put one together. Regardless, thanks for the help and advice.

Don't give up yet. If it's one thing this thread is good at, it's enabling people onto bikes.
Did you consider the CL find at all? Having gonna suggest other used bikes might help you slowly ease into the idea of owning and maintaining a used bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Found a "you're hosed either way" crossing on my ride today

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I love the use of "Space Age", which includes things like lava lamps and bubble wrap

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Heliosicle posted:

Found a "you're hosed either way" crossing on my ride today

Bunny hop it

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I have a 26" mtb with a dented fork, trying to find a replacement.

It's one inch, threaded and I'm trying to figure out what length I need. Outside of something off ebay, this seems to be one of the only new 1" threaded forks:
https://www.modernbike.com/sunlite-26-threaded-hi-tensile-mtb-fork-1-200-x-100mm-27mm-black
The steerer length being 200mm makes me think it will be too long though. 6-7/16" = 163.5mm. Am I thinking about this right? Will I just need to cut some of the threaded portion off?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

i need everyone here to make fun of a weird bike that keeps entering my brain so i don't think about actually buying it. i'm planning on getting one (1) bike to serve as my full-size, go pretty fast, go on gravel, do laps of the park, go bikepacking bike. i got a drat instagram ad for priority bikes, who make belt-drive internal-gear bikes, and apparently they make an 11-speed belt drive gravel bike, and it's $300 off right now?

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priority-apollo

this would be a stupid purchase, right? i should just get like a kona dew or something? i should not entertain this weird-rear end belt drive thing?

If you’re stuck on buying one of these you can get it cheaper through Costco, they have some kind of a discount agreement with priority

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ok what about a 1x10 Roll Bike for $1200? In stock at my bike shop

https://www.rollbicycles.com/products/ar-1-adventure-road

I'm on the edge of the Medium/Large size though, can't decide

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think the standard is to go smaller rather than bigger if you're on the borderline.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yeah he had a large in stock and I tried and absolutely not, but I did like the medium

should I be worried that it's an aluminum alloy fork? I guess some people say they only do carbon or steel, but I assume carbon is more expensive and steel forks are uncommon on aluminum frames

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you're truly on the margin between sizes, general advice is to go for the smaller size. It's way way easier to make a small bike fit a tiny bit bigger than trying to make a big bike fit a tiny bit smaller.

abraham linksys posted:

should I be worried that it's an aluminum alloy fork? I guess some people say they only do carbon or steel, but I assume carbon is more expensive and steel forks are uncommon on aluminum frames

On those 40mm gravel tires the fork material isn't going to matter one bit, aluminum is fine, and I might even argue preferable over carbon for long term durability and peace of mind but ymmv

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

spf3million posted:

The steerer length being 200mm makes me think it will be too long though. 6-7/16" = 163.5mm. Am I thinking about this right? Will I just need to cut some of the threaded portion off?

You can maybe get away with using some spacers between the adjustment nut and the lockring. I'd like the quill to go low enough to be inside the headtube though. Whether the threads extend far enough down is another problem and needs a bike shop to extend them if that's the case.

I'd check that the axle to crown length is about the same. Otherwise you'll alter the steering and might have less tire clearance (or more).

Edit: oh yeah, looking at the comments that fork takes a jis crown race with 27mm inside diameter and your headset might have a iso crown race with a 26,4mm id crown race. That difference is kinda pain in the rear end to alter if you don't have a lathe.

Havana Affair fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 16, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Oh god they also have an All City Gorilla Monsoon GRX they'll bring down to 2650 and this is so tempting but would be so overkill

I mean I could afford it but.. it's silly... right?? :negative:

it looks so nice!! the white purple blue one!! drat!!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spf3million posted:

And you need someone to cut threads onto the cut top section.

Havana Affair posted:

Edit: oh yeah, looking at the comments that fork takes a jis crown race with 27mm inside diameter and your headset might have a iso crown race with a 26,4mm id crown race. That difference is kinda pain in the rear end to alter if you don't have a lathe.

Yeah, probably need to measure what you have before committing.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

Oh god they also have an All City Gorilla Monsoon GRX they'll bring down to 2650 and this is so tempting but would be so overkill

congrats on your new bike

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

spf3million posted:

I have a 26" mtb with a dented fork, trying to find a replacement.

It's one inch, threaded and I'm trying to figure out what length I need. Outside of something off ebay, this seems to be one of the only new 1" threaded forks:
https://www.modernbike.com/sunlite-26-threaded-hi-tensile-mtb-fork-1-200-x-100mm-27mm-black

Do you have a community/university bike co-op nearby? If so I'll bet they have a bin full of forks like that

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

:getin:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

abraham linksys posted:

I would absolutely get the all city before you can't... But I'm a sucker for steel

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

that orange fade paint rules so much

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

that orange fade paint rules so much

it's this one actually, but i agree the orange fade paint also rules

it feels a tad large in a way I'm a little concerned about, but they brought the stem in a bit and that felt better on a test ride, and they also offered to cut the bars down from 44cm to 42 or 40 for free, so I think it'll fit ok after that? hard to tell since it's my first drop bar bike, not quite sure what to expect

also having to unlearn a couple goofy habits after bromptoning for all of 2023, keep forgetting i cannot kick my foot out over the front of the saddle and that i can't put my feet too far forward on the pedals when i've got the wheel turned or it'll collide :v:

also had to pull over and google "how to shift shimano down" on my first test ride, would not have guessed "twist the entire loving brake" in a million years

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 16, 2023

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I bought a super professional apex 1 just for the fun of it. And also to have something to ride around town and to work and stuff that isn't a fancy carbon race bike. The crank/chainring on it is garbage though and I'm already filling a warranty claim because the chain falls off all the time.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ok, so, bike fit question: I thought the Gorilla Monsoon was a little bit large (it's the 58cm frame), and after googling, it does seem like while I'd probably be fine with 58cm on a lot of other frames, All City tends to run a bit large. I'm 5'11" with about a 32" inseam, and while I can stand over the top tube, it wasn't with a lot of room, so it does have me a bit concerned

if the seat height feels ok, and if the stem can be brought in more, what else should I be watching out for on a potentially-too-large bike?

maybe this is enough I should go ahead and give up the dream, at least at this price :negative:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm also 5'11" with a 32" inseam and a 58 is way too big for me. Even some 56s are a lil big.

That said, different style bikes will fit different and I haven't ridden a Gorilla Monsoon, but I'm skeptical.

Don't shorten the stem (much), that leads to wonky handling. Don't buy a too-big bike just because it's a deal in front of you. You'll forever regret it. There's really very little that can be done to shrink a big bike.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 16, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah I’m in the camp that a 58 is too big.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

fair enough. this is my problem for buying bikes from an incredibly nice man who also happens to be like 5'5"; I think literally the only time he's steered me wrong is in sizing

he's listed as a Surly dealer (though I didn't see any in stock), so I figure maybe I'll ask about a Surly Straggler when I go back? $1700, SRAM Apex 1x11, only knock people seem to have is that it doesn't have the best tire clearance but that really wouldn't be something I need for a bike I am going to use as a 90% road 10% gravel bike

I'm not really dead-set on steel, it just seems like if I say "I want a gravel bike I can use as a road bike between $1200 and $2000," there are approximately 8,000,000,000 options, whereas if I limit it to just steel it's like 20. and I do think steel is neat and can't see myself doing carbon

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

steel is real I support that decision for a gravel/road bike

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

did notice that I don't see hydraulic disc brakes as an option on pretty much any of the steel bikes I'm looking at - are they uncommon on steel bikes, or uncommon on gravel bikes, or both? not sure how much it matters - considering I've spent this year with rim brakes, anything's gonna feel like an upgrade

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

abraham linksys posted:

did notice that I don't see hydraulic disc brakes as an option on pretty much any of the steel bikes I'm looking at - are they uncommon on steel bikes, or uncommon on gravel bikes, or both? not sure how much it matters - considering I've spent this year with rim brakes, anything's gonna feel like an upgrade

You don't really need hydraulics except for downtown MTB'ing or doing road biking in mountainous areas with really long declines. They're kind of a pain in the rear end too. A good cable disc brake has enough mechanical advantage to lock up your wheel in general road/gravel use

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cable-actuated disc brakes are a trick to get the bean counters to allow designers to spec frames, forks, and wheels for disc brake mounts and rotors.

When you get fed up with them, it’s easy enough to throw on some Shimano oildraulics.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

kimbo305 posted:

How's the bike rehab process going?

loving EUROPE there aren't any mechanics around til monday!!!! luckily theres a ton of bike sheds about (german for bike shed is 'radhaus' in case you ever need it) so she's locked up next to the repair shop and it'll take me all of about three minutes to move her from the shed to the shop

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

w4ddl3d33 posted:

(german for bike shed is 'radhaus' in case you ever need it)

You can’t fool me.

That’s too short for a proper German word. Must be Swamp German.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

abraham linksys posted:

For a better answer…

To keep the price lower some bikes will spec mech discs rather than hydro

Hydro disc is the standard for mid-higher end bikes of all kinds these days. Road, gravel, MTB, etc. funny thing is Shimano’s low end hydro is decent and cheap as well…

I don’t think hydro is a pain to deal with over finagling cable actuated stuff but I’m decently handy enough with bike maintenance

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

You can’t fool me.

Since you didn't, I'll go ahead and cite your source on this.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
We are in The Grove, and the place is filling up with cyclists.

As soon as we got here with colors blazing, everyone told us to enter the Light My Ride contest. So we did.

Edit: as I posted this, my wife informed me that a guy walking past with another dude "looked [me] up and down like you were a steak."

/me said, Well, I am a snack!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I did it. 100 miles 9300 ft of climbing! My body hurts. Time for pizza and beer

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

tarlibone posted:

We are in The Grove, and the place is filling up with cyclists.

As soon as we got here with colors blazing, everyone told us to enter the Light My Ride contest. So we did.

Edit: as I posted this, my wife informed me that a guy walking past with another dude "looked [me] up and down like you were a steak."

/me said, Well, I am a snack!

Steaks aren't that vertical though :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

A MIRACLE posted:

I did it. 100 miles 9300 ft of climbing! My body hurts. Time for pizza and beer
Goongrats! How was it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Platystemon posted:

When you get fed up with them, it’s easy enough to throw on some Shimano oildraulics.

Depends. It's harder than on an MTB where your brake lever and shifter are potentially separate components.
So you're taking a hit buying hydro shifters and redoing tape.

If there's internal routing, you have to open the hydraulics and do a bleed.
And you have to have those tools as a home mechanic.

I would (and have) just go Hy/Rd or maybe Juintech M1 route, preserving everything but the caliper itself.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Platystemon posted:

You can’t fool me.

Fietsenstalling :colbert:

We do long words too

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

New chain time and I'm kicking myself for not getting a golden one earlier, totally worth the extra 10€ for my vanity in this case.
Looking at this picture I'm thinking I should point my saddle (Brooks C17) nose down a bit - I think I leveled it out from back-to-tip but that's left the tip slightly tilted upwards, which results in the more aero positions being a bit uncomfortable on the ol' genitalia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I bought and installed a white saddle.

This was probably a mistake.