Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

It combining a medium format camera (quality at the expense of a big, heavy, slow camera) with a lens typically the domain of sports and wildlife. It's just a weird combination

Not unheard of though. Mamiya had a 500 for their 645 system. Pentax had 500, 600 and 800mm lenses for the 67 system. Even Hasselblad made a 500 at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

qirex posted:

Fujirumors just posted it's going to be an Instax :smith:

Apparently an all-digital one.

My guess is it's a compact digital camera with an integrated Zink type printer or something, so you can preview and decide if you want the picture before commiting to it. Probably be able to add filters/film simulations to it, maybe stickers and stuff too.

I guess they could also optically print on existing Instax media (internal screen that does a contact print?), but feels like it'd be more of a PITA from an engineering perspective and less likely with that $100 price point the article points to.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Not unheard of though. Mamiya had a 500 for their 645 system. Pentax had 500, 600 and 800mm lenses for the 67 system. Even Hasselblad made a 500 at some point.

Hardly anybody wants the long MF lenses these days, you can pick them up for pretty cheap. I bought a Hasselblad 250mm CF lens for like, less than $200 Yahoo Auctions last year.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Hardly anybody wants the long MF lenses these days, you can pick them up for pretty cheap. I bought a Hasselblad 250mm CF lens for like, less than $200 Yahoo Auctions last year.

Same here, got a minty 250 for around 220 bucks last month. Long vintage tele primes in general seem to be less desirable regardless of format, with some notable exceptions of course.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

qirex posted:

Called it

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

That's a medium format system. So, like, absolutely huge glass.

Well they just released two heavy T&S lenses too..

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I may have convinced a friend to move from D750/D610 to Z :sun:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've got one of the old tiny zink printers and the quality is pretty garbage. maybe they've improved since but it's nowhere near a normal instax

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've thought about an instax since it seems fun but an all digital one makes no sense at all. The whole point is the film prints.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It connects to the Instax printer I assume.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I have a couple used Tamron lenses I bought, one off ebay the other used. It turns out they're both grey market lenses and wont work on my Z6ii. Have an of you had luck tricking the tap-in console to update a grey market lens? Can I use a VPN to trick it into thinking I'm in some other nation and have it update or should I just sell them with my D810 and warn the buyer?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Grand Fromage posted:

I've thought about an instax since it seems fun but an all digital one makes no sense at all. The whole point is the film prints.

Isn’t the Instax Mini Evo an all-digital Instax? You can choose whether or not to print the photo, I think, and also end up with a digital file?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

titanium posted:

I have a couple used Tamron lenses I bought, one off ebay the other used. It turns out they're both grey market lenses and wont work on my Z6ii. Have an of you had luck tricking the tap-in console to update a grey market lens? Can I use a VPN to trick it into thinking I'm in some other nation and have it update or should I just sell them with my D810 and warn the buyer?

Hold up, does Nikon require you to use lenses and bodies from the same market??? lmao

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

titanium posted:

I have a couple used Tamron lenses I bought, one off ebay the other used. It turns out they're both grey market lenses and wont work on my Z6ii.

Wait, who said what? :aaa:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nikon doesn’t require the same region; is it an issue that they need firmware updates and Tamron won’t do it cause they’re grey market?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Hold up, does Nikon require you to use lenses and bodies from the same market??? lmao

No, it is Tamron saying you should not / can not update grey market lenses using the tap in console.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 17, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It was all much simpler when camera lenses only had a mechanical interface.

The one thing I don't like about the E-M10 I bought is how both lenses I got for it seem to be all digital, even (especially) the focus ring. One is the 17-42 kit lens that collapses, it's somewhat understandable for that one. The other is a 60/2.8 Sigma macro, and the way the manual focus works on that just feels wrong. No movement when it autofocuses, and no hard stops for near or infinity focus.

Do anyone know of there's a way to configure the camera to keep the main screen off and only use the EVF, without having it go into sleep mode 10 seconds efter removing my eye from the EVF?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Hiking chat was a while ago, but I use the Mindshift rotation backpacks. https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/rotation-series-backpacks

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

powderific posted:

Nikon doesn’t require the same region; is it an issue that they need firmware updates and Tamron won’t do it cause they’re grey market?

Correct, they worked fine on my D810 but when trying to adapt them onto my mirrorless they're unusable. The models said they should work when they get an update but that's where the issue is. The Tamron 70-200 G2 had the same behavior before the firmware update and worked perfectly after (that was a non grey market one).

I tried shipping one in to get updated since it was not compatible with the tap in console and they denied it for being grey market. I looked up the Serial of my 150-600 and it said "theres an error with your serial number call 1800-whatever option 1" on their site. I assume thats also grey market.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I hate it when companies do this. Photography is a very travel oriented profession.
A photographer picking up a lens while in Thailand or something can't be uncommon.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

Boooo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

runawayturtles posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for the best way to keep a camera easily accessible while hiking?

This was a while ago but I'm just finishing a 3 week long hiking holiday and I picked up a peak design clip just before I went so thought I'd drop my 2 cents.
Probably the best accessory I've ever bought, being able to just unclip it, snap a few shots and clip it back on was so much better than a strap or getting it in or out of my bag.

I was rocking a D7500 + 16-80 for most of the trip. So far from the lightest or smallest setup and it never felt in the way or too heavy for the strap, although I did have to have the chest strap of the bag going across, it swung to much without it.
And this was even during climbing Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell. Not the most challenging mountains in the world but certainly some points you have to scramble over rocks, and the clip made it easy with the camera secured to me.

I probably looked like a huge dweeb walking around with a DSLR strapped to me but it honestly was great, highly recommended.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I’m replacing my old EM5 MK1, are there any compelling reasons not to buy the EM1 MKii?

The savings over the EM1 MKiii will allow me to score a used 12-40 which would be my only lens on a trip to the slot canyons of Utah and Arizona.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I went from an EM5 Mk1 to a GX85 (very cheap: $500 new with pancake 12-32 and a slow 45-150) as a more pocketable mild upgrade, and an EM1 Mkii. The EM1 is very nice: wicked fast, good handling, and seems like my Last Camera at this point unless I want to move to a different system.

The 12-40 f2.8 zoom is a great only lens to travel with. I usually pair it with a fast normal prime and a longer slow zoom, but the 12-40 does most of the work and consistently takes great pictures.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

why in the hell is nikon's new 600mm lens $4500 when Sony's 200-600 is $2000 and they have the same aperture????

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

why in the hell is nikon's new 600mm lens $4500 when Sony's 200-600 is $2000 and they have the same aperture????

Nikon is 600g lighter. It’s a bit like the ultra expensive dentist bicycles.

Without the tripod collar in 600pf, Sony is around 50% heavier than the Nikon 600mm.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

as long as one bike has gears and the other does not. the sony is heavier due to the zoom, no matter what nikon says about their fresnel lens

i guess they're trying to be the, i dunno, niche luxury camera brand? kinda thought that already existed??

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

heffray posted:

I went from an EM5 Mk1 to a GX85 (very cheap: $500 new with pancake 12-32 and a slow 45-150) as a more pocketable mild upgrade, and an EM1 Mkii. The EM1 is very nice: wicked fast, good handling, and seems like my Last Camera at this point unless I want to move to a different system.

The 12-40 f2.8 zoom is a great only lens to travel with. I usually pair it with a fast normal prime and a longer slow zoom, but the 12-40 does most of the work and consistently takes great pictures.

Thank you, funny enough I have the GX85 on my hiking list. I expect the 12-40 will live on the camera unless I’m shooting portraits.

I considered swapping to Fuji but replacing all the lenses gets into crazy money

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 23, 2023

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nikon has a $1700 180-600 that's the same aperture as the Sony. That's the lens that you'd compare to the Sony for price/performance.

Nikon's PF lenses are all about the weight and it's kinda pricy but roughly in link with where the 300 and 500 PF lenses were on F mount.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

This was a while ago but I'm just finishing a 3 week long hiking holiday and I picked up a peak design clip just before I went so thought I'd drop my 2 cents.
Probably the best accessory I've ever bought, being able to just unclip it, snap a few shots and clip it back on was so much better than a strap or getting it in or out of my bag.

I was rocking a D7500 + 16-80 for most of the trip. So far from the lightest or smallest setup and it never felt in the way or too heavy for the strap, although I did have to have the chest strap of the bag going across, it swung to much without it.
And this was even during climbing Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell. Not the most challenging mountains in the world but certainly some points you have to scramble over rocks, and the clip made it easy with the camera secured to me.

I probably looked like a huge dweeb walking around with a DSLR strapped to me but it honestly was great, highly recommended.

Guess I should also follow up since my last post was about trying the clip at their store. I was honestly surprised that I actually found it uncomfortable. I didn't like the way the metal back plate constantly tilted back and forth against my chest while walking. It wouldn't be an issue when wearing a jacket, or perhaps if I weren't so skinny, but in any case I ended up just keeping my camera in my pack on my last trip. Which, unsurprisingly, led to taking fewer photos out of laziness, so that's not such a great solution either.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

as long as one bike has gears and the other does not. the sony is heavier due to the zoom, no matter what nikon says about their fresnel lens

i guess they're trying to be the, i dunno, niche luxury camera brand? kinda thought that already existed??

powderific posted:

Nikon has a $1700 180-600 that's the same aperture as the Sony. That's the lens that you'd compare to the Sony for price/performance.

Nikon's PF lenses are all about the weight and it's kinda pricy but roughly in link with where the 300 and 500 PF lenses were on F mount.

Nikon are catering to the pro glass scene and trying to be as complete as possible. In this one regard they are doing better than all the other companies, now if only their body options and autofocus could catch up.

As powderific says if you after a budget telezoom then the 180-600 is apparently the best budget one on any mount, but if you're a professional wildlife photographer then that 600PF lens is gonna be a tempting option, expensive sure but you make the money back on saved trips to the chiropractor.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 24, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Nikon are catering to the pro glass scene and trying to be as complete as possible. In this one regard they are doing better than all the other companies, now if only their body options and autofocus could catch up.

Ah yes the famously terrible Z8 and Z9 autofocus

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

And Zf :v:

I get more keepers with my Z7II birding than I did with my D750, but I had to learn how the new AF system was different from the DSLR system first.

That's not excusing the initial Z6/Z7 AF though.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Nikon mirrorless has made many leaps forward since the Z9 was released. The next Z6 and Z7 releases should get some nice trickle down features.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

God, it’s maddening to me that fuji is apparently still having supply chain issues, I’ve wanted an X100 camera again for years but the V is unattainable for anything less than like $600 over MSRP. Even the F is still selling for more than original price! I don’t think the 100V has ever actually been regularly available at any point of its lifespan.

Has anyone been able to determine what, exactly, is the issue? My first guess was something with the hybrid viewfinder assembly since the X-Pro3 is also impossible to get, but apparently that’s to do with ribbon cables on the LCD.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pretty sure the entire world is still having supply chain issues for anything to do with electronics. The Fuji is wildly popular on social media, so it is always sold out. Same as any consumer electronic lately that is in very high demand

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I walked into a store and bought a V a bit after they came out. This was a couple years before they became the camera of the moment [I also sold my X100F for I think $650 at the time]. I honestly think the biggest problem is people actually want small, rangefinder--style bodies and nobody else is making them except Leica. The Ricoh GR is a huge hit and I think the Sony A7C is selling well too but camera companies [Nikon and Canon in particular] refuse to play ball in that market because their whole thing has been making huge fuckoff full frame super low aperture lenses they can sell for 5 grand and the compact models they make never have anything bigger than a 1" sensor..

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am also unpopular in that I think the hybrid viewfinder is an overcomplicated affectation and I'd be happier if the camera didn't have it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I bought my 100v a few months after it came out, and sold it this year for $690 more than I paid for it.

Absolute gold mine, thank you Tik Tok.

As to why its unavailable, my guess is the next Fuji X100 is not that far off, and manufacture has already begun, so Fuji are loathe to spin up (if they even can) more production of the V at the levels that are now required.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I feel like Fuji doesn’t know what the hell it’s doing. The last couple years seem directionless. They made a flagship sports and wildlife camera without releasing much overdue prime telephoto lens options. The popular X-E4 was dropped and the line supposedly axed, the X100V was discontinued during unmatched demand, and the X-T30 is way overdue for a real refresh. And then the lack of new film simulations on firmware updates is disappointing, which seems to be a move to push people to upgrade, but to what?

Maybe the G line is the future as a luxury niche brand and the X line will follow, moving away from the cheaper entry level cameras. It sure feels that way.

That said, I love my X-T30. The X-T5 is tempting but I still can’t decide if the update is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I feel like we’re in the lull caused by COVID. Whether that’s from time off for staff to plan products coming now, or development delays, manufacturing headaches…it feels like this is the end of the stormy clouds.

I think the rumors are more X-series cameras next year that are continuations of the existing ones and not X-H or X-S, hopefully that means a new X-T40 or X-E for the low end - the X-T5 is great, and a new X-Pro would be nice, but the X-T30 being all but done is a massive hole in the lineup (and I don’t think the X-S is meant to fill it).