Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I really like how Ash was a bad actor, Dallas was overqualified and burnt out, and Ripley seemed like she had a stick up her rear end for wanting to go by the book. Ash knew he could push thru Dallas' (lack of) leadership and that Ripley lacked the rank or popular support from the crew to stop him

Your summary describes one of the best things about the crew: We know them in the sense they are all people with poo poo going on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

Young Freud posted:

You can't really blame Cameron for making Bishop friendly and more human like. He felt like he needed to go in a different direction from his previous film when it comes to artificial persons.

Bishop is great. I love the innocence and vulnerability that Henriksen managed to portray. The knife trick scene is really suggestive of what it must be like for Bishop trying to fit in with a bunch of jarheads. They peer-pressured him into performing a dangerous stunt for their amusement. You can imagine he goes along with it just because he really does desire their approval and camaraderie and this is one of the only things that works.

I do think, however, it would have been totally appropriate for Alien 3 to reveal that he was somehow responsible for the egg on the Sulaco. It would have added a further and more complete element of tragedy to what happened between the films, Bishop's body ultimately not being his own.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bishop crawling through that tunnel. A Real G.

Also, for decades, Bill Paxton saying "Bishop" during the knife scene has stayed in my head.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Your summary describes one of the best things about the crew: We know them in the sense they are all people with poo poo going on...

For example, we know that Lambert likes griping :v:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

For example, we know that Lambert likes griping :v:

It's this "lived in" quality that makes every character, however irrelevant, more real. Like you know, even though you never really knew much about Wierzbowski, he was a real guy with a life.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

It's this "lived in" quality that makes every character, however irrelevant, more real. Like you know, even though you never really knew much about Wierzbowski, he was a real guy with a life.

Yeah. The Marines are space truckers with guns (knives, sharp sticks), riding around in the same kind of clapped-out old battlewagons as everyone else, waiting on that paycheck and hoping nothing really bad happens.

Nothing is explained in too much detail, but I do get the feeling that space in Aliens© is not that different to the colonization of Earth. The Machine runs mostly by itself, held up by shaky institutions with no morals,
chewing up the stars for ever decreasing rewards.
Just feeding itself resources and people to no (good) end, with no end in sight.

The Xenos aren't the opposite of humanity. They are everything wrong with us reflected in a crystal clear mirror. That's the purity recognized by Ash, himself just a tool to sate our rapacious appetite.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They are perfect.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

Yeah. The Marines are space truckers with guns (knives, sharp sticks), riding around in the same kind of clapped-out old battlewagons as everyone else, waiting on that paycheck and hoping nothing really bad happens.

Nothing is explained in too much detail, but I do get the feeling that space in Aliens© is not that different to the colonization of Earth. The Machine runs mostly by itself, held up by shaky institutions with no morals,
chewing up the stars for ever decreasing rewards.
Just feeding itself resources and people to no (good) end, with no end in sight.

The Xenos aren't the opposite of humanity. They are everything wrong with us reflected in a crystal clear mirror. That's the purity recognized by Ash, himself just a tool to sate our rapacious appetite.

quote:

You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

It was a BAD CALL, Ripley :rolleyes:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

It was a BAD CALL, Ripley :rolleyes:

I love him as a character. He doesn't even get the heroic death or even redemption (like Gorman). He just dies trying to sneak away from everyone to save himself.

Just a slimy guy to the end.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

I love him as a character. He doesn't even get the heroic death or even redemption (like Gorman). He just dies trying to sneak away from everyone to save himself.

Just a slimy guy to the end.

You know the actor has done a good job if you loathe the character.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

did Paul Reiser's parents cheer when his character got grabbed in the movie?

i wish they had kept the deleted scene of Ripley finding him all wrapped up and begging for help, and she just gave him a grenade and ran on to save Newt.

have we seen anything with xenos and something like a zombie apocalypse? I'd be down for some facehugger poo poo with zombies running around, just to see what would pop out of that poor fucker. Or Predators dropping by a zombie apocalypse too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

have we seen anything with xenos and something like a zombie apocalypse? I'd be down for some facehugger poo poo with zombies running around, just to see what would pop out of that poor fucker. Or Predators dropping by a zombie apocalypse too.

There was a hope that the Alien series coming out from Hulu would be this, since the hype said the series would be on a xeno outbreak on Earth or a hub colony, but it looks just like more of the same.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

Is there an upper / lower limit to the size of a host? Like, I'm sure there would be logistical problems if a facehugger tried ovipositing in an elephant or something, wouldn't there?

If Space Elephants count, the pre-Lindelof script for the prequel had an Alien spawn from one of the original, jumbo-sized Engineers. https://alienanthology.fandom.com/wiki/Ultramorph

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So how about a smaller size? Say I am a space weasel.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think my first exposure to Reiser was Mad About You or other comedies. I was 3 when Aliens came out so I only saw it on TV years later.

But I loving hated Burke.

madeintaipei posted:

:hmmyes:

I hope Paul Reiser is doing ok these days.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I think my first exposure to Reiser was Mad About You or other comedies. I was 3 when Aliens came out so I only saw it on TV years later.

But I loving hated Burke.

:hmmyes:

I hope Paul Reiser is doing ok these days.

Aliens was my first exposure to him and I'll confess it colored everything else.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redshirt posted:

Aliens was my first exposure to him and I'll confess it colored everything else.

He played a corporate sleazebag far too well for it to be acting :colbert:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A phrase I still use in appropriate spots:

We're in the pipe, five by five.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He was really good in stranger things.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
On a different note, how come Michael Biehn wasn't a bigger star? He was the star of the Terminator and Aliens.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Azubah posted:

He was really good in stranger things.

Yeah, his Stranger Things character is like mirror Burke: he's a covert researcher with an agenda, but he's ultimately a good guy. The Duffer Bros. really use that audience reputation might have with Reiser-as-Burke, especially with the extended Aliens homage in the middle of Season 2, so him turning out decent is a pleasant surprise.

They pull something similar with Cary Elwes in Season 3, trading off everyone's memories of him as Westley in the Princess Bride, then turning him into Donald Trump.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, his Stranger Things character is like mirror Burke: he's a covert researcher with an agenda, but he's ultimately a good guy. The Duffer Bros. really use that audience reputation might have with Reiser-as-Burke, especially with the extended Aliens homage in the middle of Season 2, so him turning out decent is a pleasant surprise.

They pull something similar with Cary Elwes in Season 3, trading off everyone's memories of him as Westley in the Princess Bride, then turning him into Donald Trump.

I love this.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

redshirt posted:

A phrase I still use in appropriate spots:

We're in the pipe, five by five.

Big same.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

On a different note, how come Michael Biehn wasn't a bigger star? He was the star of the Terminator and Aliens.

He sure seemed headed that way.

He’s pretty open about the fact that by the early 90s, he was drinking about a quart of vodka a day. He says he never drank on set, but you can’t drink like that to any extent and not have it affect you even on “sober” days.

He also had a stroke at some point.

He went through all that and made it out the other side. He’s been through a lot of poo poo, but he’s alright today and seems pretty happy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrMojok posted:

He’s pretty open about the fact that by the early 90s, he was drinking about a quart of vodka a day. He says he never drank on set, but you can’t drink like that to any extent and not have it affect you even on “sober” days.

He went through all that and made it out the other side. He’s been through a lot of poo poo, but he’s alright today and seems pretty happy.

never knew that. Always liked him, glad he is doing good now

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MrMojok posted:

While probably not effecting his career in that same way, he did have some imposter drama, with some guy scamming people pretending to be him.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

:emptyquote:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

never knew that. Always liked him, glad he is doing good now

I was happy to see him in an episode of The Mandalorian a few years ago. He was the mercenary captain in the episode where Ahsoka was introduced, and tried to out-draw Mando himself. There’s only one person that can do that, and it wasn’t him :v:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was happy to see him in an episode of The Mandalorian a few years ago. He was the mercenary captain in the episode where Ahsoka was introduced, and tried to out-draw Mando himself. There’s only one person that can do that, and it wasn’t him :v:

Man, Michael Biehn getting typecast as space Johnny Ringo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I wish he would’ve gotten done better back then, though. He was there for Terminator’s launch and Alien’s sequel, and also The Abyss. Those 3 alone should’ve have had him set for sci-fi.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just checking if we went 316 pages without talking about the best Aliens game - Natural Selection

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61w8Kpftlho

Funny A:I clip

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was sad they didn't have him survive that episode or otherwise to have him periodically return as a given episode's heavy now and then.

LOL gently caress yes

Speaking of this, this game looks so loving good. I got a new video card last week so I tried it with max everything and holy poo poo. It blows me away that this is still one of the best looking 3D games ever made after so long.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Who amongst us :laffo:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I should know this, but is the entire setup of Aliens that WY put the colony there to get infected? Or was it discovered after? Was infection of the colonists deliberate or accidental?

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

redshirt posted:

I should know this, but is the entire setup of Aliens that WY put the colony there to get infected? Or was it discovered after? Was infection of the colonists deliberate or accidental?

Accidental. If WY knew what they had there on LV426, they would have just quietly established a research operation. Instead, the colony sat there terraforming the planet for two decades before Ripley's information gave Burke a chance to make his "bad call".

Whatever scheming employee was responsible for the plan that destroyed the Nostromo in the first film presumably took his fuckup to the grave. I think it's correct to assume WY's C-suite doesn't really know about the organism and the opportunity it presents until Burke's mission fails and the last samples of the organism are about to be destroyed on Fiorina 161.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

There was a hope that the Alien series coming out from Hulu would be this, since the hype said the series would be on a xeno outbreak on Earth or a hub colony, but it looks just like more of the same.

with your avatar, i can only hear his voice. "It is only logical an Aliens series would be flawed and foolish."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
After Alien 3, if there had to be more movies, the films should have explored the awful stuff that a corporation like WY would get up to once obtaining samples of the alien. It seems the only storyline anyone can think of is "Bad corporation gets alien, incompetently fails to contain it". A core theme of the first and second movies is that capitalist corporations are by nature ruthless and uncaring ("crew expendable"). It's understandable that Ripley's fear would be the company underestimating the creature and accidentally infecting Earth, but the scarier scenario should be what WY would be capable of doing deliberately.

Instead of representing organizations like Weyland-Yutani as malicious, but ultimately bumbling, which completely takes the teeth out of the commentary on capitalism, show us what WY would actually do with xenotechnology. Self-replicating synthetics that can fully replace human workers and colonists? Targeted infestation to put down worker strikes and colonial insurrections? Maybe WY makes a gambit for overthrowing the world government.