Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 46 hours!)

hate the break mechanic, so many times its like oh i broke them.
they recover the very next turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GateOfD posted:

I also hate the break mechanic.

Fortunately, during my second playthrough of CS4, I finally realized something - you can simply ignore the break mechanic and kill everything with overwhelming Arts damage.

Happy it was removed in Kuro (and replaced with this stun mechanic that seems to have far less of an impact on the gameplay - I'm not even sure what it does aside from "delay the enemy's turn somewhat").

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Kuro 2's problems stem from a mechanic it introduces that isn't in Kuro 1, which gets old fast. That and it is definitely more of a filler game than it does advance the plot proper. It does have its moments though. Also yes, both Kuro games are like Zero, in that they tell a standalone story with a clear beginning and end, there's no FC or Cold Steel 1 and 3 style cliffhangers.

This is the impression I got from the other reviews I read, and is a relief in a way because it's not the sort of issue that implies problems for the series as a whole. I'd be more worried if people complained about the characters becoming really bad or the plot becoming really dumb/bad.

It seems like a lot of the negative reaction was (understandably) from people who were hoping for more. Which is pretty reasonable given the way Sky 2, Azure, and CS2 are all games with big plot conclusions from their predecessors, while Kuro 2 sounds sorta like a Sky 3rd/Reverie-esque game at a time when people weren't expecting that (and were probably hoping for answers to some of the big questions introduced in Kuro 1*). It seems like it was mainly a problem of "them feeling pressure to release a game too quickly" (so they had to create a Sky 3rd/Reverie-esque game with mostly re-used assets).

Part of the reason CS4 bugged me so much when I first played it (and not as much the second time) is that I had a lot of really positive hopes/expectations for CS4 that didn't pan out. The CS4 preview material had me thinking that they were going to actually make Juna a protagonist figure, plus the whole situation at the end of CS3 really surprising me (though tbf I was kind of a rube for thinking most of that stuff would stick). On the second playthrough I appreciated it more because I didn't go in with the same expectations. The same stuff still annoyed me, but there was also a lot to enjoy about the game.

* even though I still have a chapter or two left, I'm pretty sure that the mysteries behind Grendel and the Oct Genesis aren't going to be fully (or maybe even partially) explained by the end

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 15, 2023

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

GateOfD posted:

I love the break mechanic... in CS3. Apparently you can use Sara's Brave Order to cheese it though, so instead of changing her Brave Order they nerfed the break system to the point of uselessness in CS4

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

as mentioned, I only played CS3-4, then went to Zero->Azure --> Reverie.
Its so nice to know who all these nameplates being revealed are, and since I played Zero/Azure like only a few months ago, knowing the references to past events actually letting me go "oh i know what they're talking about" for once.

so many pairings being reinforced. I guess they're setting up their kids later in 5-7 games down the line

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Azure, Fragments, I guess big spoilers: I had assumed the reason KeA was in a doll chest way back in Zero was because she was a homunculi or some other sort of artificial being, guess I was right kinda? And I guess going by those D_G cult entries, the reason KeA’s super smart for a nine-year old is because she has the power of the old Sept-Terrian to assimilate the knowledge of others into herself. Doesn’t matter, must protec.

Also, literally laughing my rear end off that Wazy isn’t just a gralsritter, like what’s been hinted at in a not too subtle way, especially when he left “coincidentally” at the exact same time as Ries and would be expected, but one of the Dominions all along. Just a Doninion bumming around in a bar he opened up teaching the local teens how to stand up to bullies in between moonlighting as a host.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

opened a chest in reverie.
then clicked on it again. it didn't talk.

happy to see noel again. Set as leader character, get to see her backside all game.

choose the ps5 version

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GateOfD posted:

opened a chest in reverie.
then clicked on it again. it didn't talk.
Yeah, it's pretty unfortunate.

quote:

happy to see noel again. Set as leader character, get to see her backside all game.
About that...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Reverie Lloyd Act 1

Goddamnit Rufus, why didn't they just execute you.
Leave Crossbell alone!!
Also I hate this freaking magic public mind control stuff, as a one-off thing during the great twilight, but its still going on? argh.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Another way to crack open CS4 is to "Just use Machias". Because Dread Breaker or whatever it's eventually called is ridiculously low delay and hits almost as hard as an S break and he gives Str+ large while dramatically reducing delay. Break is nerfed into oblivion in 4, compared to 3, but you should still be able to keep enemies somewhat reliably locked down with your shotgun howitzer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Machias is a pretty strong character, but he's just strong in a way that doesn't stand out as much due to how obscenely overpowered the alternative option of Arts is.

I think the most disappointing thing I realized during my second CS4 playthrough is that Kurt kinda sucks and is just objectively vastly inferior to Fie as a dodge tank (which is a shame because I heavily used Kurt during my first time). Ranged attacks are really vital for that role.

Also I don't really get the deal with Kurt's self-buff. It seems like a dramatically shittier version of Crow's self-buff. It doesn't seem nearly good enough to justify the self-stun at the end of it, and whatever the effect is where it does a second instance of damage doesn't seem that impactful either. Maybe I'm missing something about it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I guess Nayuta came out a while ago

Steam says it doesn't support English, but the screenshots have English on them. Does it?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The english version of nayuta is coming out in a couple days

Although for steam it might just be a patch to the version that's already on there

Red Red Blue fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 16, 2023

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Red Red Blue posted:

Although for steam it might just be a patch to the version that's already on there

Pretty sure I remember Durante saying this was the case.

I'm excited for it, it looks like it takes after my favorite Ys games (Oath/Origin).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ytlaya posted:

Machias is a pretty strong character, but he's just strong in a way that doesn't stand out as much due to how obscenely overpowered the alternative option of Arts is.

I think the most disappointing thing I realized during my second CS4 playthrough is that Kurt kinda sucks and is just objectively vastly inferior to Fie as a dodge tank (which is a shame because I heavily used Kurt during my first time). Ranged attacks are really vital for that role.

Also I don't really get the deal with Kurt's self-buff. It seems like a dramatically shittier version of Crow's self-buff. It doesn't seem nearly good enough to justify the self-stun at the end of it, and whatever the effect is where it does a second instance of damage doesn't seem that impactful either. Maybe I'm missing something about it?

Kurt is an awful Dodge tank, because his counter range is 1. I honestly don't know why Sirius is his default MQ.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Kurt is an awful Dodge tank, because his counter range is 1. I honestly don't know why Sirius is his default MQ.

I feel like it’s just purely a personality thing, at least going off the little I know Kurt dual wields swords because he’s not ripped enough to wield a giant anime sword* like the other Vanders so they emphasize his agility.

*this is very faulty logic in a series with Laura, Rixia, and Arianhod, but hey!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So apparently Gleaming Blade in Kuro is just the original name of what was localized as "Brandish" in the Cold Steel games? That seems like it's mostly consistent with what I've seen, though it doesn't seem to have the second damage number in Kuro (though this might be because it's rolled up into the existing secondary damage number from shard effects). At least in this it gives an extra HP recovery effect when Van uses it (not sure if anyone else has it).

Googling seems to indicate that Brandish actually does kind of suck and I wasn't missing anything when I couldn't figure out any good reason to use it (especially Kurt's version with the self-stun - why does it do that, while Laura also has a Brandish that doesn't?).

Edit: drat this boss fight straight up gave me an option to kill the boss. I actually didn't take it in this case, but if it gives me an option for the next couple I definitely will. Definitely the most hateable villains in Trails history, even more than Weissman IMO.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 16, 2023

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Ytlaya posted:

I mostly use it to manipulate the AT order. (Crow's buff is way too expensive, but Kurt's is very affordable and can be repeatedly used if needed) If Kurt has a decent option for CP regeneration, be it an MQ, Gladiator Belt or Alisa, the buff is cheap enough to be continually renewed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So apparently Gleaming Blade in Kuro is just the original name of what was localized as "Brandish" in the Cold Steel games? That seems like it's mostly consistent with what I've seen, though it doesn't seem to have the second damage number in Kuro (though this might be because it's rolled up into the existing secondary damage number from shard effects). At least in this it gives an extra HP recovery effect when Van uses it (not sure if anyone else has it).

Googling seems to indicate that Brandish actually does kind of suck and I wasn't missing anything when I couldn't figure out any good reason to use it (especially Kurt's version with the self-stun - why does it do that, while Laura also has a Brandish that doesn't?).

Edit: drat this boss fight straight up gave me an option to kill the boss. I actually didn't take it in this case, but if it gives me an option for the next couple I definitely will. Definitely the most hateable villains in Trails history, even more than Weissman IMO.

If you're where I think you're at then. Yeah. You can kill them all if you want.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
drat, you’re allowed to do murders? What even is your crew’s occupation in Kuro?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

drat, you’re allowed to do murders? What even is your crew’s occupation in Kuro?

Mid 2000's Protagonist, aka a dead beat who runs a freelance service where he'll do just about anything. Complete with the trope of the first major client being a women who joins the office as like a receptionist after helping her and of course getting dragged into increasingly shounen battle plots as the plot progresses.
It's peak and I'm patiently vibrating waiting to play it as nicely as possible for my first experience.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Mid 2000's Protagonist, aka a dead beat who runs a freelance service where he'll do just about anything. Complete with the trope of the first major client being a women who joins the office as like a receptionist after helping her and of course getting dragged into increasingly shounen battle plots as the plot progresses.
It's peak and I'm patiently vibrating waiting to play it as nicely as possible for my first experience.

I appreciate that we’re finally at the point where there’s no transparency about what the spirit of Trails is.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Finished up Cold Steel 3 tonight. Gotta admit that was a pretty good gut punch. Didn't think this series could do that to me anymore.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Van doesn't really have any qualms about killing if it's necessary, unlike the other protagonists (except maybe Kevin). Kuro Chapter 1 spoilers: He does a mercy killing at the end of that chapter. Later on, you've got the option to kill or spare some of the antagonists too.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i was playing on hard in Reverie, but put it back to normal.
trying to hit the RP marks on hard blind on a first playthrough is annoying.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

anyone know the name of Arios's soundtrack theme (you know when he comes to save the day after you win boss fights...), in Trails from Zero? always kinda scared of searching for this stuff and then accidentally spoiling myself

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

frajaq posted:

anyone know the name of Arios's soundtrack theme (you know when he comes to save the day after you win boss fights...), in Trails from Zero? always kinda scared of searching for this stuff and then accidentally spoiling myself

Firm Strength

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

thats it, very nice

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

played up to the opening cinematic of Reverie
nice, another loli in a box. 'C' sounds like he's gonna be very annoying and cryptic.
Can't believe llya is joining the mix. Everyone is connected somehow aren't they. Not sure how long the chapters are gonna be. But the 3-way split on the acts is kind of nice. A good way to juggle the huge cast they made.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Cryptic poo poo is done with pretty quickly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

frajaq posted:

For future reference, there’s literally an option in the menu that just tells you the name of every track in the OST when it plays, which is especially nice for Azure bringing in tracks from both Sky SC and the Super Arrange version of Zero. Unless it’s a PC exclusive feature for some reason.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Last Celebration posted:

For future reference, there’s literally an option in the menu that just tells you the name of every track in the OST when it plays, which is especially nice for Azure bringing in tracks from both Sky SC and the Super Arrange version of Zero. Unless it’s a PC exclusive feature for some reason.

oh wow you're right

oh wow I can even increase the speed of the High Speed toggle mode... all this time... :negative:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

frajaq posted:

oh wow you're right

oh wow I can even increase the speed of the High Speed toggle mode... all this time... :negative:

Always check options before New Game, always. Never know when there's gonna be an option that increases your enjoyment of the game immensely.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Also re-check the options after the prologue or so to see if anything jumps out at you after actually playing the game. In Kuro I found an option to toggle dash instead of holding the button, but I was in chapter 3 or so, so it took a while to reset my muscle memory for it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So, what’s everyone’s opinion of Trails From Zero To Azure, in terms of the main narrative? I guess I’m still in the beginning of the Finale (just got Tio back), so normally I’d wait until hitting the end credits to say anything (and I’ll probably have more to say when I get there) but, the fact that I’m at the Finale is kinda why I wanted to ask.

I like these games a fair amount, and it could be that making the rounds to talk to the NPCs at every dialogue change has warped my perspective, but it kinda feels like the pacing is a problem? In the sense that we kinda go from the hints of bad things going down to holy poo poo the mafia took super steroid reality warping drugs, and the defense force has been tricked into taking them too, and everything’s gone to complete poo poo because we busted up the senator’s auction. I guess Azure feels the same way but I guess at least that’s partly intentional since blindsiding everyone with hired terrorists/an annex vote disguised as an annex interest vote so you can make yourself president/sovereign of the continent was the point. I can see the story ending well in the sense of convincing our foster daughter to not essentially martyr herself but even if we got this game on release there’s still enough stuff to address to not really be surprised CS2 ends the way it did, but I’ll be overjoyed to eat my words.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's been a while but if I remember correctly, the Finale isn't even the final chapter of Azure, the Epilogue is. So you still have a ways to go.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Artix posted:

It's been a while but if I remember correctly, the Finale isn't even the final chapter of Azure, the Epilogue is. So you still have a ways to go.

Actually, it is. But it's a loooong finale.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ytlaya posted:

That's because Kurt isn't a dodge tank. That's just his starting quartz. Like in CS1 and 2, the characters' starting master quartz are frequently one of the worst possible choices for them.

Kurt's buff is great for powering him up, manipulating turn order, and switching him out.

Because he'll still fix his being stunned out of the party, eventually, and you can then pop him back in to steal important turns. He has a completely unique way of taking over the tempo of a fight.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 17, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it was very amusing that Azure really thought I was gonna give the Force MQ to Lloyd when Noel was right there with a 0 CP AOE move as her normal attack and huge AOE on her first upgraded special.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't care a whole lot about super-max optimizing everything, the games aren't that hard. The people who can counter at range tend to deal much less damage than melee-only counters, so I don't find that making a ranged character a dodge-tank ends battles much faster. This also applies to those with AoE standard attacks.

What I find bizarre is how many people playing Azure keep Wazy's starting MQ of Crow, which is just BAD in every way, especially when there's a quartz right next to it in the shop which is cheap and has the same or better stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Didn’t factor in cause never used wazy since noel and Rixia much funner to use and better characters.