Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they were ignorant. That sounds nasty but really isn't. They didn't have the 30,000 years or so of collective education we have.

You underestimate the collective understanding of the celestial bodies observed by humanity for the last 60,000 years or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

maybealabia posted:

The argument was that they weren't terrestrial, not American

This ignores the context of literally everything else involved lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe these UFOs belong to an undisclosed government under the ocean!!!!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

500excf type r posted:

You underestimate the collective understanding of the celestial bodies observed by humanity for the last 60,000 years or so

they were very good at looking at the stars, but may not have understood what a comet or meteor was

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they were very good at looking at the stars, but may not have understood what a comet or meteor was

You're saying they're too dumb to not know the difference between a comet, meteor, or something else, to which I disagree

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

500excf type r posted:

You're saying they're too dumb to not know the difference between a comet, meteor, or something else, to which I disagree

you also think aliens from another planet have been on Earth, so, I don't really respect your opinion

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you also think aliens from another planet have been on Earth, so, I don't really respect your opinion

Lol I never said anything of the sort!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

500excf type r posted:

Lol I never said anything of the sort!

then what the gently caress have we been arguing about?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I thought we were having a friendly discussion. Are we enemies, should I hate you right now

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

500excf type r posted:

I thought we were having a friendly discussion. Are we enemies, should I hate you right now

its all good man, we friends
just you wait type r. I'm gonna get you

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

500excf type r posted:

Well there are accounts of UFOs going back to 1000bc or earlier and they havent ever stopped. The rest of the world is actually much more open about it.

As far as military craft, sure. Plenty of experimental aircraft were hidden under the guise of UFO sightings and it was a leading motivator for the government to play the UFO games of the 50s and 60s that it did.

And there are accounts of witches and shamans going back millennia too. Is 'big magic' flexing its lack of oversight to keep everyone in the dark?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

500excf type r posted:

Idk man I haven't met them but there have been consistent sightings across the globe for millennia that breaks down into a few distinct shapes / forms.

There's also been consistent reports of ghosts, fairies and Santa Claus for hundreds of years, anecdotal data is not verifiable evidence and doesn't mean poo poo.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Says you, or both of you?, I guess. It's cool that both of you got assigned to reply the same way at the same time tho lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's also been consistent reports of ghosts, fairies and Santa Claus for hundreds of years, anecdotal data is not verifiable evidence and doesn't mean poo poo.

santa clause is real
My evidence:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9aVQkqCtvs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Imagine like an alien burial ground and then they build a subdivision on it.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

500excf type r posted:

Says you, or both of you?, I guess. It's cool that both of you got assigned to reply the same way at the same time tho lol

Thanks for reminding me to submit my SA reg as a backdated business expense to my handler.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rugz posted:

Thanks for reminding me to submit my SA reg as a backdated business expense to my handler.

what's the matter precious? Can't afford a tenner on your own dime?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
we can agree that 1) aliens are real and anal probes are 2) not gay or 3) cheating.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

temple posted:

we can agree that 1) aliens are real and anal probes are 2) not gay or 3) cheating.

def not gay, but might be cheating, depends on your partner

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
This recently disclosed hard evidence proves that sasquatch plays sax

https://youtube.com/shorts/QTplDezGoCc?si=-twloQ8esFqY-jCR

This is canon

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/pjWRlET.mp4

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

SonOfGhostDad posted:

This recently disclosed hard evidence proves that sasquatch plays sax

https://youtube.com/shorts/QTplDezGoCc?si=-twloQ8esFqY-jCR

This is canon

His name is Samsquanch

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

500excf type r posted:

His name is Samsquanch

*tt* I believe you will find his name is Satchmo

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Satchmo is my name and samsquanching is my game

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
It's saxsquatch you god damned Philistines

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

SonOfGhostDad posted:

It's saxsquatch you god damned Philistines

Sax squatch avenue

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

500excf type r posted:

Satchmo is my name and samsquanching is my game

gross
lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they were ignorant. That sounds nasty but really isn't. They didn't have the 30,000 years or so of collective education we have.

they def did, people are not incredibly smarter, as a group, as we were 300,000 years ago, maybe even 3,000,000 -- maybe. If anything we got dumb as gently caress, i'll admit that applies to me. The key difference is the dramatic cultural changes and the development of stuff like science. The actual people themselves aren't a whole new species and i'm gonna be p adamant if you quantum leaped any two infants out of their cribs and switched em probably nobody would realize. The last 3000 years of "development" isn't nearly as big a leap as say, the initial creation of language itself. Even agriculture at 30k or w/e isn't that big.

Especially in the olden era before shitposting and electricity people had a lot of time to gently caress around looking at the sky, and at least since the start of history it's confirmed that there were people who's only jobs were to look at the stars and poo poo. Back then it was like fuckin "oh poo poo gotta keep track of 𒀭𒀭𒌷𒉈𒆤" or whatever, but they knew the basic varieties of phenomena even if they thought some were gods and some where ghosts or what the hell ever. It'd be clearly differentiable to have someone be like "holy gently caress guys this shining pearl came out of the lake and flew away" vs "yeah the stars were moving around this one time" vs "yeah dude a fuckin star fell by the house check it out i hammered it into a rad knife"

Being ignorant is not being stupid, and we're not so tremendously educated about the state of the universe as we'd all like to believe

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SniperWoreConverse posted:

they def did, people are not incredibly smarter, as a group, as we were 300,000 years ago, maybe even 3,000,000 -- maybe. If anything we got dumb as gently caress, i'll admit that applies to me. The key difference is the dramatic cultural changes and the development of stuff like science. The actual people themselves aren't a whole new species and i'm gonna be p adamant if you quantum leaped any two infants out of their cribs and switched em probably nobody would realize. The last 3000 years of "development" isn't nearly as big a leap as say, the initial creation of language itself. Even agriculture at 30k or w/e isn't that big.

Especially in the olden era before shitposting and electricity people had a lot of time to gently caress around looking at the sky, and at least since the start of history it's confirmed that there were people who's only jobs were to look at the stars and poo poo. Back then it was like fuckin "oh poo poo gotta keep track of 𒀭𒀭𒌷𒉈𒆤" or whatever, but they knew the basic varieties of phenomena even if they thought some were gods and some where ghosts or what the hell ever. It'd be clearly differentiable to have someone be like "holy gently caress guys this shining pearl came out of the lake and flew away" vs "yeah the stars were moving around this one time" vs "yeah dude a fuckin star fell by the house check it out i hammered it into a rad knife"

Being ignorant is not being stupid, and we're not so tremendously educated about the state of the universe as we'd all like to believe

preaching to the choir here, dude

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
I think people these days are, by and large, educated well enough to know with a high degree of certainty that the US government does not possess extraterrestrial bodies or space craft

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SonOfGhostDad posted:

I think people these days are, by and large, educated well enough to know with a high degree of certainty that the US government does not possess extraterrestrial bodies or space craft

I dunno man, the US education system is kinda bad

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SonOfGhostDad posted:

apparently not even the government itself, if congress is having hearings over it

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I dunno man, the US education system is kinda bad

extremely

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

dear god you are loving stupid.

???

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Why so mad today mumpy? Don't be mad, we're all cool dude.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

instead of just posting question marks why don't you tell me what you don't understand

Tarkus posted:

Why so mad today mumpy? Don't be mad, we're all cool dude.

*grumbles inaudibly*

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
"Stealth" helicopters are a thing and have been since Vietnam, many witnesses in cattle mutilation cases have reported seeing them and as that poster said they were declared kooks for it. Whether or not any given case is a hoax or misidentification, they're not beyond the pale, and the bin Laden raid was an infamous instance where they made their presence known.

edit: I don't understand that whole post since the OP was stating pretty plain facts

Dr. Jerrold Coe fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 17, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

"Stealth" helicopters are a thing and have been since Vietnam, many witnesses in cattle mutilation cases have reported seeing them and as that poster said they were declared kooks for it. Whether or not any given case is a hoax or misidentification, they're not beyond the pale, and the bin Laden raid was an infamous instance where they made their presence known.

they are stealth because they are hard to see on radar, not because they are quiet and invisible

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they are stealth because they are hard to see on radar, not because they are quiet and invisible

No, trump said they are invisible and he's the smartest person ever so it must be true

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
jesus loving christ, I'm going to get into another argument here, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

:shrug: that's not what I've read, from the LA Times on the bin Laden raid: https://www.latimes.com/world/la-xpm-2011-may-07-la-fi-stealth-chopper-20110507-story.html

“What we’re seeing here is a very different type of design than what we normally see in rotorcraft,” said Loren Thompson, defense policy analyst for the Lexington Institute in Arlington, Va. “It appears that the military went to great lengths to reduce the radar and acoustic signature of the helicopter.”