Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
get your onions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tying one to my belt so I can go beat up people who break street date on MtG cards.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if i could eliminate world hunger or onions you better believe your rotten pissroots would no longer exist

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Yeah they pulled excerpts from some ethics in public policy essay, but what point is the author trying to make?

e: and why would some conscription = more choices = good be useful for working out this policy?

People being able to evade conscription by having money is not a positive historical example, so the upbeat tone about people making choices in the marketplace is really weird.

Shouldn’t military effectiveness and/or how this effects ideas of soldier and nation be the predominant ethical concern?

Idk, this is a professor who has been contracted before, had a consulting gig and is an expert on Rawlsian public policy, whatever that is.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Sep 17, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Rawlsian public policy

Lol

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Frosted Flake posted:

Bawlsian public policy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bawls in every fridge.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Posting on the weed page

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ammanas posted:

i like how stem nerds always bashed psychology as a non-science but at least it tries to adhere to the tenants of science. economics is pure 'and then a wizard did it' with charts and graphs to obfuscate their dick-tugging

Tenets. Thanks.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://x.com/DavidNorthWSWS/status/1703052258349338783?s=20

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/09/15/iwzf-s15.html

The WSWS has thoughts on the auto strike

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Tenets. Thanks.

You're welcome

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

from the news articles it seems like this is loving up the big 3 in new and entertaining ways so maybe it’s actually good

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

from the news articles it seems like this is loving up the big 3 in new and entertaining ways so maybe it’s actually good

it's like you didn't even read that article. it's bad, actually. so bad.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Big 3 need to get wrecked for killing off my beloved Fiesta.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

ReMarrkable balls of Xi.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

hobbesmaster posted:

Strikes are always good!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xpforr posted:

some of this is just straight copy and paste from some ethics101 book.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=qY...0guinea&f=false

absolutely astounding. fishmechesque

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

speaking of which

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1702658724832145412

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

SourKraut posted:

Strikes are always good!

right-wing and capital strikes have happened and are usually bad but this is not one of those

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

Onions are delicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9spqCzSkQ

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tried it, it's good.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

slice top open spread the layers a bit and put some balsamic and good oil in before roasting and they’re even better.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Bar Ran Dun posted:

slice top open spread the layers a bit and put some balsamic and good oil in before roasting and they’re even better.

That's right

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
onions are a filler scourge that are being put in literally everything and it loving sucks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

onions are a filler scourge that are being put in literally everything and it loving sucks

Onions are their own reward

Love me some fuckin onions

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You can put them in a sandwich raw, you can put them in soups or stews or whatever, you can roast them in a pan with other vegetables until they're nice and soft and flavorful. You can do a whole bunch of poo poo with onions.

We'd probably be collectively better off if more Americans were willing to fill their diets with onions instead of trash mechanically separated meat

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

clear evidence of you being irreparably broken

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

reading comprehension seems to be in the dumpster today. clearly citing a handout. smdh at goons being goons

I comprehended just fine thank you, I stand by my chant

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

still the best townsends video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIi1bjl_iqE

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Ammanas posted:

i like how stem nerds always bashed psychology as a non-science but at least it tries to adhere to the tenants of science. economics is pure 'and then a wizard did it' with charts and graphs to obfuscate their dick-tugging

there has been nothing worse for the us aerospace industry than when the finance/MBAs bros took it over

it’s just a husk now being fed on by vc/private equity vampires

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
onions are great, turn any skillet into a grill with those fuckers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Truniht posted:

there has been nothing worse for the us aerospace industry than when the finance/MBAs bros took it over

it’s just a husk now being fed on by vc/private equity vampires

well i imagine the ruling class getting 999 billion dollars directly from the fed's money spigot ever year also goes a long way for corruption and do-nothingism of the industry. no need to actual make anything, just "be american, freedom :patriot:" and throw some donations to the right politicians because we gotta protect ARE freedoms and bam! they just keep giving you free money over and over for stock buybacks even if you literally make nothing

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah they pulled excerpts from some ethics in public policy essay, but what point is the author trying to make?
e: and why would some conscription = more choices = good be useful for working out this policy?
Shouldn’t military effectiveness and/or how this effects ideas of soldier and nation be the predominant ethical concern?

why would that be concerning? As a goon, this just reads like any other defence propaganda piece. Basically, for the privatization of military or, at least privatization of military functions to a point where the military only exists as a registration office. To go on so long about which market based military hiring model is the best, only end with."so all market based solutions on throwing more bodies into the meat grinder suck because of corruption and republican conception of citizenship(?), but if we hire citizens off of LinkedIn, then its ok because markets??" its literally the rhetorical question asked right before the cntrl + v "excerpt" - to frame the quote.
"The logic of the market could be extended to challenge the notion that armies should be run by the government. Why not sub-contract military functions to private enterprise? ... "
I would assume they're using ambiguity to hide directly saying "we want to sell military services" or are tired of complaining about recruitment shortages every year. But that wasn't even the only time they "quoted" from that chapter, how do you post quote in an handout about military conscriptions and then go "thoughts?💭". There's actually zero thought/effort being given to 'Is it a good policy?', my only takeaway is someone was forced to write this in a basement chained to a desk.

Frosted Flake posted:

Rawlsian public policy, whatever that is.
also lmao

Xpforr has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Sep 17, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Onions are good but it definitely feels like cheaper vegetables are added more to things to keep costs down.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

err posted:

Onions are good but it definitely feels like cheaper vegetables are added more to things to keep costs down.

I have an allium intolerance so I definitely notice the fact that literally all processed food of any kind now has some form of either Diced, Powdered, Dried or regular onion in it. I can't even eat pizza rolls without recreating Dreamcatcher in my bathroom.

All makers of italian food and pizzas seem to think all forms of marinara need some form of onion in them. Every burger and most sandwiches need sloppy onions in them. Chili? Soup? Yep. Mcdonalds just started sprinkling onions in their burgers but already used it in some form because they made me sick. Taco bell uses onions in it's meat aside from whatever onions they add. Breading on fried foods has it.

All food at Applebees or chain restaurants that comes frozen and is "cooked" in their microwaves also has some form of onion in it apparently. Mac and Cheese at Applebees especially.

Everyone is apparently cutting their supply with onion for some reason. If i had the funding I'd become a mad scientist with the goal of removing onions from the earth through some kind of onion blight.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Sep 17, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Everyone is apparently cutting their supply with onion for some reason.

because onion is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xpforr posted:

why would that be concerning? As a goon, this just reads like any other defence propaganda piece. Basically, for the privation of military or, at least privation of military functions to a point where the military only exists as a registration office. To go on so long about which market based military hiring model is the best, only end with."so all market based solutions on throwing more bodies into the meat grinder suck because of corruption and republican conception of citizenship(?), but if we hire citizens off of LinkedIn, then its ok because markets??" its literally the rhetorical question asked right before the cntrl + v "excerpt" - to frame the quote.
"The logic of the market could be extended to challenge the notion that armies should be run by the government. Why not sub-contract military functions to private enterprise? ... "
I would assume they're using ambiguity to hide directly saying "we want to sell military services" or are tired of complaining about recruitment shortages every year. But that wasn't even the only time they "quoted" from that chapter, how do you post quote in an handout about military conscriptions and then go "thoughts?💭". There's actually zero thought/effort being given to 'Is it a good policy?', my only takeaway is someone was forced to write this in a basement chained to a desk.

also lmao

Well yeah, the military is between 10-15k pers short, depending on how they try to fudge the requirements just to maintain establishment on paper, let alone the expansions they're promised, like an entire brigade in the Baltic, reviving the old 4 CMBG (minute permanent headquarters establishment, because that's people and money). Because they don't also want to pay for anything. Lehr in Germany was a small town, the troops in the Baltic are living in tents. This has led to a lot of retention problems, obviously.

So recruiting is a problem, retention is a problem, morale is a problem, they hired McKinsey and Co 3 times to advise them on sexual assault and harassment in the military instead of doing anything and it's now a steady low grade crisis causing retention of females to drop off.

But... like you said, they just lol copy-pasted some liberal theorist to hem and haw, which is not really something that helps policy. "Hiring soldiers: good or bad?"

idk. Also, who is Rawls? Based on the responses, how worried should I be?