Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/crusaderkings/status/1703061184457367609?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

It must be Vicky 4 ie IVicky

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Before that image I'd imagine them do an ancient world game, like Old World, but here we have clearly European architecture. I could also imagine them doing low fantasy game a la Stellaris but it'd be strange with AoW4 being right there. On the other hand, why would AoW4 be there between historical games? So my bet is it's Civ with magic.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's clearly a low-tech world in Battletech.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

they're adding china worldmap to ck3

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

If tomorrow’s teaser is “then suddenly humans found out they had magical powers” I’d be so in.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dramicus posted:

It's clearly a low-tech world in Battletech.

I'd give my left nut for a Battletech GSG.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

The only reason we don't have one is because Paradox is in fact an Allied Mastercomputer and hates us.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's paradox's take on Banished

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't think just another Europa Universalis but it's set in 300 BC would have different gameplay mechanics, your guys would just be called unga bunga rock bonk instead of chevauché or pikeman
So yeah I'm interested to see what they will change here

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

King of Dragon Pass 2

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drone posted:

Hell, same.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Alchenar posted:

King of Dragon Pass 2
I don't know if you're joking but this actually exists already as "Six Ages: Ride Like The Wind".

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't think just another Europa Universalis but it's set in 300 BC would have different gameplay mechanics, your guys would just be called unga bunga rock bonk instead of chevauché or pikeman
So yeah I'm interested to see what they will change here

I agree, I can't see a gsg take on the meso/Neolithic being fun or interesting. Even if material cultures did exist across giant swathes of the world, to pretend there was any direction or intentionality behind it doesn't really line up with our understanding of history.

I'd be much more interested in a smaller scale game where maybe you take a tribe from the late Neolithic to the bronze age or something, in a dwarf fortress/banished style scale.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know if you're joking but this actually exists already as "Six Ages: Ride Like The Wind".

The sequel to that one just came out as well!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vichan posted:

The sequel to that one just came out as well!

Oh hell yeah

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Grevlek posted:

I agree, I can't see a gsg take on the meso/Neolithic being fun or interesting. Even if material cultures did exist across giant swathes of the world, to pretend there was any direction or intentionality behind it doesn't really line up with our understanding of history ...

i got bad news about post-neolithic society

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Accumulation and maintenance of power is a sort of intentionality

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Drone posted:

:hmmyes:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Drone posted:

Give me an option to load battles into MW4 or Battletech and I'll probably die in the holodeck.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Isn’t this just gonna be a CIV but not turn based?

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
You mean Age of Empires?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Half-wit posted:

You mean Age of Empires? Empire Earth

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Empire Earth was my jam. Difficulty levels in the campaigns were insane though. Only one I managed without cheating was the German one. Once the British campaign reached the Peninsular War it was game over.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Not looking forward to epic memes about purge types in this one

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, a game with the scope of Civ and the simulationist style of Paradox games would be wild. The thing is, over the whole arc of human history, you'll have to actually allow for, and basically ensure that empires fall apart. Maybe you're playing a game as tight as historical China, and you're more or less the same empire for thousands of years, but even they fell apart repeatedly and had to be reconstituted.

Unfortunately this will never be satisfying gameplay for the player.

There's also an issue of time scales. The rate of change keeps increasing. Hunter gatherer gameplay (if you include that) might last for 10 thousand years. Early urban settled people might stick around in more or less the same form for several thousands of years. But if you're going all the way to modern times, the global hegemonic order can trace its roots back like 500 years at most, with like 200 years of actual global dominance.

Obviously hunter gatherers existed during that time, and reacted as dynamically as anyone else (see: plains Indians adopting horses and guns and utterly dominating the region for a century), but in general you're going to get totally different timescales for those different kinds of gameplay.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was skeptical of the civ thing, but that second picture with the recognizable Christian-European architecture after the hunter gatherer pic suggest pretty strongly going through many ages, especially with 5 more pics to come. I wonder how that can ever work in the framework Paradox used till now.

Like even the most basic territorial unit should change massively between hunter gatherers, who for all intents and purposes might not even have clear territories at all, never mind big provinces like counties that are the smallest unit a player can be relegated to.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Issues with time and scale become less troublesome if you limit the scope of it all to a city builder-esque setting. Not as focused on infrastructure as, say, CS:2 but more focused on societal change and the physical legacy of your settlement.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It’s gonna be Stellaris but founding cities instead of finding and colonising planets.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is just going to be an official game converter from game to game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Half-wit posted:

You mean Age of Empires? Empire Earth Rise of Nations

But I'm betting more on Rise of Legends.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Oh man Rise of Nations owned. Is this turning into a memberberry thread? Don’t know if I’d complain tbh

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I remember being so disappointed they didn't have any campaigns for Rise of Nations. :(

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Eiba posted:

Man, a game with the scope of Civ and the simulationist style of Paradox games would be wild. The thing is, over the whole arc of human history, you'll have to actually allow for, and basically ensure that empires fall apart. Maybe you're playing a game as tight as historical China, and you're more or less the same empire for thousands of years, but even they fell apart repeatedly and had to be reconstituted.

Unfortunately this will never be satisfying gameplay for the player.

There's also an issue of time scales. The rate of change keeps increasing. Hunter gatherer gameplay (if you include that) might last for 10 thousand years. Early urban settled people might stick around in more or less the same form for several thousands of years. But if you're going all the way to modern times, the global hegemonic order can trace its roots back like 500 years at most, with like 200 years of actual global dominance.

Obviously hunter gatherers existed during that time, and reacted as dynamically as anyone else (see: plains Indians adopting horses and guns and utterly dominating the region for a century), but in general you're going to get totally different timescales for those different kinds of gameplay.

I think the one game I can think of that actually achieves the whole “empire collapse as an enjoyable game mechanic” is the board game Small World. You pick a fantasy race and explode onto the map conquering territory left and right, but eventually hit the peak of your expansion and find it hard to take new territory or hold your current land. And so part of the skill of being a good player is knowing when to flip your current empire into decline and switch to a new group.

Maybe something of that is what’s needed to make empire collapse enjoyable, a tension between building a large empire and getting a tangible reward of some sort for deliberately crashing it into pieces at the exact right moment. I’m thinking like, imagine if you were playing as Persia, and then chose to swap to being Alexander, a dude with incredible bonuses to empire building but with an unshakeable trait that no matter what the empire you’d build would immediately explode on death, with some benefit to your next character/empire the larger you could make the explosion?

Something like that, anyway, I’m no game designer. But I think the principle is sound, that empire collapse could be fun if you switch it from disaster to deliberate decision by the player somehow.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Total War Pharao will incorporate the Bronze Age Collapse into the late game but it looks to be more of a “try to keep it together” than “climb out of the ruins” sort of thing.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Reveilled posted:

I think the one game I can think of that actually achieves the whole “empire collapse as an enjoyable game mechanic” is the board game Small World. You pick a fantasy race and explode onto the map conquering territory left and right, but eventually hit the peak of your expansion and find it hard to take new territory or hold your current land. And so part of the skill of being a good player is knowing when to flip your current empire into decline and switch to a new group.

Maybe something of that is what’s needed to make empire collapse enjoyable, a tension between building a large empire and getting a tangible reward of some sort for deliberately crashing it into pieces at the exact right moment. I’m thinking like, imagine if you were playing as Persia, and then chose to swap to being Alexander, a dude with incredible bonuses to empire building but with an unshakeable trait that no matter what the empire you’d build would immediately explode on death, with some benefit to your next character/empire the larger you could make the explosion?

Something like that, anyway, I’m no game designer. But I think the principle is sound, that empire collapse could be fun if you switch it from disaster to deliberate decision by the player somehow.

a sort of roguelike iterative death loop mechanic, could be cooking here

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The game is about playing as a language family and the balkanization of an empire can actually cause more spread.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Empires don’t fall in civ; I’d love it if they do incorporate that but it’s hardly a hard requirement.

Definitely think it’d need to be a different take on the paradox formula a la stellaris than just a normal province based map game though.

E: honestly I wonder if an *extremely* enterprising modded couldn’t turn stellaris into a civ-like flow of history game

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 17, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Unless you come up with some kind of weird twist, I don't see any kind of strategy game where you go from cavemen to the modern day being in any way meaningfully different from Civilization except for some random minutia. The normal Paradox premise of historicity would be totally out the window trying to compress thousands of years into one person playing as one society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The fact that we can't imagine whole history game that is not a civ clone makes such a game a necessity. It's like in late 90s people couldn't imagine RTS game that was not s C&C or StarCraft clone.