Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bowmore posted:

Is SDA really an option though

Possibly the only union in history to go to court alongside a company against one of their own members.

Because the SDA negotiated a pay deal which left workers with less money because they're useless bigoted boot lickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It was a joke my bros

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are the SDA still that bad? Last I heard of their antics was awhile ago.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Recoome posted:

I mean limited sample size too but hoo boy have I seen a LOT more incidences of drug induced psychosis and schizophrenia subsequent to prescription of medicinal marijuana despite there being family history of the same and other risk factors.

Like no way to establish causality but if you have a family Hx of psychosis/schizophrenia I’m not super sure how docs don’t ask/check for that and it seems sketchy as hell.

Lol, weed drcs don't give a poo poo about their prescriptions, get real

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JBP posted:

It was a joke my bros

Some people might not have heard how much they suck.

Much like your posting

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im not up on the actual research but from a purely anecdotal lifetime of production and consumption id be very surprised if medicinal benefits of cbd were in any way less concrete than thc. tbf i agree that its a bizzarely unprofessional industry and seems mostly a reasonable way to legalize it via stealth which owns. im not super interested in hopping on board until we get some good data and legal frameworks around driving though, unless i manage to wind up in one of those fifteen minute cities the commies want to imprison us in

Thankyou for reminding me of 15 minute cities. Just when I think I've forgotten about it, somebody (tbh, usually GSC) reminds me of the 15 minute city conspiracy and I die laughing all over again.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

starkebn posted:

My fave sitch I’ve seen is mid 20s person with family history Hx schizophrenia and drug induced psychosis from specifically weed, was initially prescribed weed for anxiety with dosage upped significantly with no consultation. Usage increased significantly until person was getting blazed effectively around the clock, ended with a psychotic episode around 8 months ago and is track to be diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Really wild stuff imho and again no way to establish causality as maybe this was inevitable but if the person had an Rx for weed then a literally basic level of case management should have been present. How was this person getting so much weed prescribed? Absolutely mind blowing stuff (literally).

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

Thankyou for reminding me of 15 minute cities. Just when I think I've forgotten about it, somebody (tbh, usually GSC) reminds me of the 15 minute city conspiracy and I die laughing all over again.

The cookers in my council area are up in arms about 15 minute cities. Thing is they mostly live in little villages of a few hundred people out in the Yarra ranges that are probably 15 minutes from the next closest village. It makes no sense. The council had to make all public attendance of council sessions via zoom because they kept showing up and disrupting the proceedings and threatening councillors. Cookers took the council to court and lost.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yeah ABC news is going rapidly downhill, less and less actual news headlines

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

starkebn posted:

There are marijuana prescribers who care, spend an hour with every new patient etc, but they’re expensive and you can’t ring them up at short notice.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Artificial Kid posted:

There are marijuana prescribers who care, spend an hour with every new patient etc, but they’re expensive and you can’t ring them up at short notice.

Well, that's good. I wonder how many people recommend others go to them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

A rebuttal to the assertion that it’s the Wild West of healthcare

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The current medicinal weed system is almost entirely geared towards well to do white folk who want to feel like they are sticking it to the man, selling them products from the parent company running the clinic and keeping them returning for repeats.

There is definitely a small sliver of patients who are getting treatment they need and that is fantastic but almost everyone I know who has a script is just a stoner with a career/good job who knew what to tell the doctor to get the weed note.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Liberal party people own all the weed.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hopefully they won't be so conservative

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Recoome posted:

A rebuttal to the assertion that it’s the Wild West of healthcare

I don’t think it IS the Wild West of healthcare, I think it’s one of the common reasons that people seek out the Wild West of healthcare, which is the increasing number of services that don’t adhere to principles of accountability and continuity of care. It’s an issue that also affects cosmetics, hair and dick pills and after hours/telehealth primary care services. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be regulated, it should be. But that regulation should encourage and support the sincerely motivated practitioners who insist on properly managing and supervising treatment, and drop the hammer on services that seek to profit as irresponsible gatekeepers of prohibited substances.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

Liberal party people own all the weed.

you cant like, OWN a plant man

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I remember when I lived in Melbourne for a few years in Parkville. Everything was 15 minutes away because there was a tram stop 30 seconds from my door. Didn't need to care about tram or train schedules because there was one every few minutes.

Also incredibly walkable tree-lined streets that made you want to just go for a walk. Didn't drive a car at all during my time there and loved it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Counterpoint: I lived in inner-city Melbourne all through my 20s but moved to the burbs last year and I have to admit that it's secretly been quite nice returning to the lifestyle I had as a teenager, i.e. just being able to jump in the car and drive 5 minutes to Woolies/Bunnings/BWS/whatever

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The 15 minute city is just making things walkable and transportation easy for people, ideally everything should be within about 15 minutes, so decentralising cities a bit. People going insane about it is purely an imported talking point from the US where it's "15 minute city .. something something... mind control!" now that masks and vaccines are off the table to whip up the cookers about.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like living a 20min bike ride from my office in the CBD.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

I like living a 20min bike ride from my office in the CBD.

sorry that's 5 minutes too long. you're gonna get ground up into mush now.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It takes me 90 minutes to get to work so if the government could force me into a 15 minute city I would be thrilled

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I don’t think it IS the Wild West of healthcare, I think it’s one of the common reasons that people seek out the Wild West of healthcare, which is the increasing number of services that don’t adhere to principles of accountability and continuity of care. It’s an issue that also affects cosmetics, hair and dick pills and after hours/telehealth primary care services. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be regulated, it should be. But that regulation should encourage and support the sincerely motivated practitioners who insist on properly managing and supervising treatment, and drop the hammer on services that seek to profit as irresponsible gatekeepers of prohibited substances.

The issue I have is that THC and CBD are experimental medications. Lets not confuse actual regulation of the industry or decriminalisation of weed with whatever the gently caress is being allowed to happen. We really should be seeing the maximal amount of regulation in the field, and I really think it, on the whole, is letting consumers down and not adequately protecting the public from harm.

To emphasis the point, at present the whole medicinal THC/CBD thing is regulated, but there's a gulf between what should be happening and what is happening. I'm sure there's some accessibility bias but I've been seeing too much poo poo from too many different sources for this to be limited to a couple of bad eggs - I think most of the medicinal THC/CBD industry is predatory and full of conflicts of interests.

I'd chalk it up to yet another Ahpra issue - they are as quick as molasses and only started cracking down on the cosmetic surgery industry only after an intolerable amount of evidence came to light. I reckon in a few years the evidence will really have piled up and someone will have to act, but it'll be too late.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

NPR Journalizard posted:

The ABC website is hosed for news now. It's pretty much all clickbait title bullshit.

I remember someone in this thread years ago saying this would happen when Ita Buttrose (was it her? Spelling?) was made the big banana of the ABC. I don't even know if she is still around but by golly the "Dog takes walk, you will never guess what happens next!" titles suck arse.

I don't know any sensible alternatives to keep up with Aussie news though. Wait, just typing this out made me realise I haven't given the SBS a proper shot.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Post the dumbest ABC news title you've seen:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I remember someone in this thread years ago saying this would happen when Ita Buttrose (was it her? Spelling?) was made the big banana of the ABC. I don't even know if she is still around but by golly the "Dog takes walk, you will never guess what happens next!" titles suck arse.

I don't know any sensible alternatives to keep up with Aussie news though. Wait, just typing this out made me realise I haven't given the SBS a proper shot.

Buttrose stepped down recently, or is stepping down soon I forget

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Electric Wrigglies posted:

For big news I dont mind the guardian, but its slim pickings otherwise.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Centusin posted:

It takes me 90 minutes to get to work so if the government could force me into a 15 minute city I would be thrilled

after years of cruisy 20 minute train rides from the suburbs and 15 minute drives to work im looking down the barrel of either a 40 minute cross town car commute or two buses and 90 minutes to get to the new shop where i will have achieved my dream working condition of never having to see a dude bite into a live pigeon ever again hopefully

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

NPR Journalizard posted:

For big news I dont mind the guardian, but its slim pickings otherwise.

This is not news(haha) to anyone but The Age sucks enormous amounts of arse.

Which is annoying for me as it was always my go to non-right wing rag alternative to the Herald-Sun. It's worse now that I don't live in in Aus. as it was what I used to use to get my Ausnews.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

after years of cruisy 20 minute train rides from the suburbs and 15 minute drives to work im looking down the barrel of either a 40 minute cross town car commute or two buses and 90 minutes to get to the new shop where i will have achieved my dream working condition of never having to see a dude bite into a live pigeon ever again hopefully

Gonna find where you work and bite a second, even more alive, pigeon at you.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is not news(haha) to anyone but The Age sucks enormous amounts of arse.

Which is annoying for me as it was always my go to non-right wing rag alternative to the Herald-Sun. It's worse now that I don't live in in Aus. as it was what I used to use to get my Ausnews.

The Age is the real estate paper now

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Wait, what?! :stare:

... who... why?!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

Gonna find where you work and bite a second, even more alive, pigeon at you.

Pfft do two at the same time

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Centusin posted:

150 for me. This 15 min city thing sounds pretty cool

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

froglet posted:

Wait, what?! :stare:

... who... why?!

there are a lot of extremely mentally ill people who either sleep rough or congregate during the day near my bottleshop so i cop a decent amount of random poo poo from people fishing for dumpers but that was by and far the most traumatizing thing ive experienced there in two years. its kind of why i turned down the full time offer after id been there for six months bc i wasnt keen on spending my entire work week in that environment but im moving on up to bougie luxury apartment/riverfront mansion territory

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 17, 2023

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
One of the people I played against in Rocket League last night was named "Aryan Martyr Soldier for Trump".

They were unironic. It's weird to think of people having names like that and thinking it makes them look cool.

They called me a libtard after I called them an idiot for having that name on an Aussie server

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

cant believe our economy is so weak that we have to import american white supremacy what happened to aussie manufacturing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's all German made knock-offs anyway.