Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
it's impossible to be more clear than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
is that fake or just old? that twitter account hasnt posted in nearly 2 years

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think that's instagram

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

Every tech bro and hedge fund manager in SF needs to be driven into the ocean.

Yes yes we're all looking forward to the cybertruck launch party.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fur20 posted:

how long before they start giving up? surely there's a point where they each individually realize, it ain't happening

cruft posted:

If studying doomsday cults has taught me anything, it's that the sense of community will override reality past when it's obvious to everyone else they were wrong, and the thing will subtly shift into some new religion, and then you get people handing out free copies of Watchtower in front of the post office.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yes yes we're all looking forward to the cybertruck launch party.

:golfclap:

I guess that's how they prove to us it's a valid submersible.

They'll only be as equally underwater as everyone who buys bitcoin, I suppose.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zetamind2000 posted:

good news about bed bath and beyond

what is a bad investment Alex?

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Alan Smithee posted:

what is a bad investment Alex?

any company with Ryan Cohen as boardmember/CEO/chairman. lmao.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

JAnon posted:

any company with Ryan Cohen as boardmember/CEO/chairman. lmao.

What do you mean? He's the most amazing man in the entire history of the world and he will make me, personally, rich because he's my best friend and I love him.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Are they still showing their buy order or whatever the equivalent of it is for DRSes? Or are they just kinda saying, "IM BUYING 100000 SHARES MONDAY" and everyone just nods now?

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

I just got out of Dumb Money. It does mythologize Roaring Kitty as there are groups of people we follow that “buy-in” based on reading wall street bets and watching his roaring kitty videos. But overall nothing completely out of hand with the real story.

The movie is “anti capitalist” in the way these big companies see antiestablishment being lucrative now. Big guy vs little guy kinda stuff. They make some of the hedge fund people bad guys but they definitely made Seth rogens character more sympathetic. They ripped pretty hard on the robinhood founders.

They said diamond hands a lot. Like the nurse character from the trailer says it. And the students say it too. They cheer when roaring kitty says I like the stock during the congressional hearing. They also say HODL and other memes from the time.
They licensed a lot of music and shot a lot of slomo
They used actual TikTok’s and Reddit posts. Like it occupied a lot of screen time as kind of interstitials.
Wallstreetbets is shown a ton including the use of the R slur. Seth Rogen says “r-word” but the rest of the time they say it outright.

There’s actually a focus on masks due to when this occurred in time. 100% of the time none of the hedge fund people are wearing masks but all the servants around them wear masks. One of the people who buys into GME actually works at GameStop and has his boss remind him to make sure his mask is above his nose. There are also two students who put their masks down in class because they got tired of texting right next to each other and the teacher has to remind them about keeping their mask up. Seth rogen’s characters wife complains about their kids zoom classes. Seemed a bit anti mask but not sure if that was the exact intent or not but roaring kittys first scene he’s wearing a mask and by the end of the movie he’s not. Not sure if that’s kinda subtle imagery or they just didn’t want to deal with masks later on in filming.

There are some pretty funny parts to the movie.

I just saw it myself, and I agree with all of your points. I do think they were a bit too bullish on WSB and meme stocks at the end of the movie, but they didn't sugarcoat the fact that some people lost money or that most of Wall Street received no punishment whatsoever for market manipulation.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fur20 posted:

how long before they start giving up? surely there's a point where they each individually realize, it ain't happening

The problem is that because of the cult mentality and the hard line against negativity, the ones who give up don’t let anyone know when they do it. Why would they? I sure as gently caress wouldn’t. Instead they just quietly disappear.

This leads to an interesting dynamic where the more apes get a clue, the dumber ape communities become. This is because whenever a development occurs and inevitably reveals their theory about it to be incorrect, the smartest ones decide that enough is enough and quietly leave the community. The ones that remain, then, are those that were not smart enough for that event to clue them in that they were wrong.

Instead you can look at either volume of activity or stupidity of the overall narrative. For example: The BBBY ape community at large used to agree that their company going bankrupt would obviously be a bad thing, and insisted it would never do so. I can’t prove it directly but I guarantee that when they did file for bankruptcy, a poo poo ton of them sold their shares and got out. Logically, the remainder are those that were dumb enough to believe that maybe bankruptcy isn’t so bad.

So in conclusion there will never be a time that they all collectively say “welp we were wrong”, instead the groups will just keep getting smaller and dumber. I predict that a year from now there will be a community of 50-100 BBBY apes discussing when RC will revive the company and make them rich.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Reminds me of that weird Iraqi Dinar thing where people are still convince that any day now they’re gonna revalue the money to be worth 1 Dinar per Dollar.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
A significant number of people would rather spend the rest of their lives chasing an obvious lie than ever admit to themselves they were cheated.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
yeah there's a ton of studies and real life examples of people just doubling down.

like my favorite example was something I heard from NPR, where some conartist did a horny thing where lonely men sign up to be penpals with females. lots of dudes sent money to non existant women and the conner even had to hire some number of letter writers.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

yeah there's a ton of studies and real life examples of people just doubling down.

like my favorite example was something I heard from NPR, where some conartist did a horny thing where lonely men sign up to be penpals with females. lots of dudes sent money to non existant women and the conner even had to hire some number of letter writers.

is this the analog version of joining a discord so you can say good morning to people?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
no because the conner would invent women characters that the men would white knight for. so its more like the horny/lewd tipping streaming.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sounds like an idea ahead of its time. Dude just needed ChatGPT and he wouldn't even be considered a scammer.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Talorat posted:

Reminds me of that weird Iraqi Dinar thing where people are still convince that any day now they’re gonna revalue the money to be worth 1 Dinar per Dollar.
That one was very funny because if you think about it for just 5 seconds, if buying a million dinars for a few hundred bucks or whatever will make you a millionaire when the revalue happens, then Iraq will basically have all the money in the world since they have billions of dinars.

Anyway I bought 50 million in 2003, Trump revalue the dinar now

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Any day now the Mark will rise again!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
love scams are just filling the demand left by the fall of phone sex

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

They might have stayed open if they actually plugged the phones or computers in :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuC0T-_ONIA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cruft posted:

It's so interesting watching this play out in real time.

If studying doomsday cults has taught me anything, it's that the sense of community will override reality past when it's obvious to everyone else they were wrong, and the thing will subtly shift into some new religion, and then you get people handing out free copies of Watchtower in front of the post office.

I've said before, the thing is that the actual uniting activity of these groups IS the collective weaving of narratives, setbacks only mean more opportunities to come up with excuses to create yet another new one. And indeed, the communities become dumber, weirder and sillier as the smarter members quietly leave, feeling very silly, and the desperate and crazy become ever more prominent.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't they just join a creative storytelling or improv theatre group if they want a community centered around writing your own fiction?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Collateral Damage posted:

Why don't they just join a creative storytelling or improv theatre group if they want a community centered around writing your own fiction?

Because that wont get them mansions and lambos and etc

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Boxturret posted:

Any day now the Mark will rise again!

Ah, but which one, Finnish or German?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Offler posted:

Wahlberg

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Win some, lose some.

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1703425174735900987?s=20

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Offler posted:

Karpelès is French!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Welp, crypto people reaching out to me for...I don't know? A slap in the face? Back when I told them how their idea was unsound, they were determined to launch!
Apparently their first token launched and went, well...like any ponzi would. I wasn't even following (I told them don't get me involved with the tokens) so I guess I found out later. It went from 60c -> $10 (for about 5 hours, surprisingly) -> .0006c. So that's 5 orders of magnitude drop in a day from the highs.

I got one of the IT certs I previously let lapse, so I'm obviously not looking for work in the crypto sphere.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 18, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh nooooooooooooooo....

Anyways.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So I just learned of a $200m rug on an absolutely shitcoin blockchain called Bonerium. Apparently the other was shibarium so the name was a lazy similarity within the dog-meme stuff. I guess it launched, took every $$ people moved to it, and disappeared the next day. So, yes, all my apes gone. They had a telegram of all sorts of related BS: https://t.me/BoneriumNews

https://twitter.com/Discordnfts/status/1639106878893613056 and https://twitter.com/BoneriumNet. People involved have some absolutely random mismash of memes:

https://twitter.com/GoonrichCalls/status/1698643794428575995

Bitcoin: Harry Potter - the community has taken control (???)

edit: apparently there's some *very* art heavy token, called sonik.

https://twitter.com/Sonikcoin/status/1703453811900039489

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 18, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

OBAMA

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's a ripoff of a semi-famous engrish backpack, it's nothing more than stealing a meme ala doge for extra clout

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shoulda done hosed Up Popsicle NFTs instead

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I just learned of a $200m rug on an absolutely shitcoin blockchain called Bonerium. Apparently the other was shibarium so the name was a lazy similarity within the dog-meme stuff. I guess it launched, took every $$ people moved to it, and disappeared the next day. So, yes, all my apes gone. They had a telegram of all sorts of related BS: https://t.me/BoneriumNews

I'm genuinely amazed that there was still $200 million in crypto to steal. Or is this a case where it's "$200 million".

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I'm genuinely amazed that there was still $200 million in crypto to steal. Or is this a case where it's "$200 million".

I think there are very few bitcoin things that can take real money directly, you have to go through 2 or 3 currency conversions to actually "invest".

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I just learned of a $200m rug on an absolutely shitcoin blockchain called Bonerium.
https://twitter.com/Discordnfts/status/1639106878893613056 and https://twitter.com/BoneriumNet

Turns out that @BonersCan’t

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Random Stranger posted:

X number of coins are mined. These are all worth 0 but whatever. People trade them or bots trade them or straight up fantasy numbers are posted so that the price at a given time = Y.

The "$200 million" comes from the multiplication of the total number of coins mined/minted/etc times the price. My guess is here someone took the highest price they ever traded for or were reported to trade for and multiplied that times the number of coins supposedly in the system.

It's all fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I told the guy in question, who informed me of this whole $200m rug - that there's a very likely chance the money went straight to North Korea. Instead of acknowledging it, he said "maybe".