Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

fuctifino posted:

Neil Oliver. He was on Time Team, Coast and a few other things. He's now a far right GBeebie grifter
He looks like Richard Stallman’s long-lost, also-sex-pest but slightly-better-hygiene having twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

According to a friend who was unlucky enough to have booked tickets to Brand's Wembley gig last night, he didn't mention it at all. Seems like he had been advised not to say anything and didn't do a Q&A or signing afterwards.

Apparently the friend was unaware of his recent descent into grifting and madness and had booked it expecting the Get him to the Greek / Sarah Marshall era Brand. Overall review: "All of that aside, it wasn't that good."

E: Also, when it says "sold out wembley gig," it was iin one of the small conference rooms that's about half the size of your average cinema, not the arena.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: Also, when it says "sold out wembley gig," it was iin one of the small conference rooms that's about half the size of your average cinema, not the arena.
Yeah, I didn't realise it was a 2000 seater. Thats far smaller than than I expected.

Not to give Russell Brand credit here, but I will say that its far more than Matt Forde has ever managed in his career.

I know thats not relevant, but I wanted to give Forde a kicking too because hes such a loving Tory bellend.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Regardless of his status as an abuser, I just can't imagine ever paying any money or expending even the smallest amount of effort to go and see someone as obnoxious as Russell Brand.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Perfect Element posted:

Regardless of his status as an abuser, I just can't imagine ever paying any money or expending even the smallest amount of effort to go and see someone as obnoxious as Russell Brand.

Watching the thing last night reminded me how much of a loving irritating bell end he is.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Angepain posted:

Hardly the most important thing in that article, but do you think Brand actually read Lolita, or did he just read the first chapter or so before getting distracted. Boy this Humbert fellow seems like a good chap, I bet things turn out great for him and his understanding of the world is proven entirely right
Theres a very good podcast about Lolita (cleverly titled 'Lolita Podcast') that takes a close look at the book and much of the adaptations and cultural discussions it spawned, and would it shock you that a lot of people who read that book took alarming ideas from it. To a degree that I found completely absurd. The attempt at turning it into a musical is particularly horrific.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Watching the thing last night reminded me how much of a loving irritating bell end he is.

The most horrifying thing was the old footage that showed he’d been pulling the full Jimmy Savile and openly discussing his raping and noncing on TV

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

smellmycheese posted:

The most horrifying thing was the old footage that showed he’d been pulling the full Jimmy Savile and openly discussing his raping and noncing on TV

Yes, it was difficult to watch people describe what happened to them then have it cut to him performing and saying how he liked to do exactly that.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gorn Myson posted:

would it shock you that a lot of people who read that book took alarming ideas from it. To a degree that I found completely absurd. The attempt at turning it into a musical is particularly horrific.

Not even slightly. This is the front page of my 1965 edition:

I headcanon that Nabokov wrote Pale Fire after reading so, so many reviews of Lolita that utterly missed the point and showed far, far more about the critic than the critic ever realised.

(Ed: I am not and have never been Jeff Grimshaw.)

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 17, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm sure that the media discourse about how it was an open secret for so long and how so many people were complicit by varying degree in horrific crimes will be open and honest, exposing what went wrong- because it's not like there's a coach load of other establishment nonces hiding behind super injunctions and the old boys network, right?

Much like I'm sure the government investigation into this will be prompt and efficient in order to root out the problems in the system, certainly not deliberately and consistently delaying things for years then restarting the whole process till everyone forgets it was even a thing in the first place

oh wait I'm still in britain, gently caress

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 17, 2023

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
That Lionel Trilling sounds like a bit of a wrong un.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

I'm sure that the media discourse about how it was an open secret for so long and how so many people were complicit by varying degree in horrific crimes will be open and honest, exposing what went wrong- because it's not like there's a coach load of other establishment nonces hiding behind super injunctions and the old boys network, right?

Much like I'm sure the government investigation into this will be prompt and efficient in order to root out the problems in the system, certainly not deliberately and consistently delaying things for years then restarting the whole process till everyone forgets it was even a thing in the first place

Lol yep, every power structure in Britain is riddled with nonces and corruption to the point where it feels like they hire corrupt nonces exclusively because they won't kick up a fuss about the corrupt nonces already in place.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Author: In my book I wrote about underage sex as a cautionary tale

Book reviewer: At long last, I have hosed a kid just like in that classic book, Don't Be A Nonce

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Britain: Nonces all the way down.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It is quite remarkable that the UK culture war has now reached the point where blue check Wankers and GB news enjoyers feel they want to publicly defend what is clearly Jimmy Savile Mark 2

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

It is quite remarkable that the UK culture war has now reached the point where blue check Wankers and GB news enjoyers feel they want to publicly defend what is clearly Jimmy Savile Mark 2

Lol they did that with Jimmy Savile as well. Forehead even wrote a column about how Jimmy Savile's victims should just be quiet about it and go away. The rest were like Stephen Fry saying they don't want a "witch hunt" and no one should do too much investigation just in case someone gets falsely accused and Cliff Richard sets his lawyers on them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Who could've forseen that a bunch of libertarians would be pro nonce?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Therecwas about 20 minuites of my life where i liked russel brand. It was on richard herrings podcast, he spoke well enough about himself and was honest enough about his mistakes and poo poo. Like he talked without dipping into his irritating thesaurus of big words for a minute.

Then, just as i was evaluating how much of his dickead poersona was just part of an act, richard herring made fun of him in a very mild way and he turned quite nasty very quickly, pulled some 'im only here on your little show as a favour, dont test me' poo poo. Nasty oval office through and through was my takeaway from the interview.

Rhlstp is a show i dont listen to much anymore because sadly its no fun to hear many british comedians talk off the cuff, outside of a few very good eggs they're either brain dead centrists or spiteful terfs.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One of the best tweets I saw about why did it take so long for the accusations to come out is this one.

https://twitter.com/SiobhanMoore90/status/1703074687490605162?t=PRElOb1mmdj5_gYUTXuJUg&s=19

(Text for those who don't have Twitter.)

Síobhán Moore: just before anyone starts asking why women are only accusing russell brand now... last month a spanish footballer was assaulted on live tv in front of millions and there are still people defending the man in that instance. so that's why

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

DesperateDan posted:

I regret to inform you that this poo poo happens in every country.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Mega Comrade posted:

I regret to inform you that this poo poo happens in every country.

oh absolutely no question of that

It's just other than the vatican and hollywood, I can't think of a larger noncestrocity in existence

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's a surprising amount of people who claim to be on the left who are openly defending the serial rapist and borderline nonce on twitter. And it seems to be the same types of people who were also sucked into the 5G Covid denialism 15 minute city conspiracy bullshit.

Brand was a threat to the establishment, apparently.... :catstare:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Question IRL posted:

One of the best tweets I saw about why did it take so long for the accusations to come out is this one.

https://twitter.com/SiobhanMoore90/status/1703074687490605162?t=PRElOb1mmdj5_gYUTXuJUg&s=19

(Text for those who don't have Twitter.)

Síobhán Moore: just before anyone starts asking why women are only accusing russell brand now... last month a spanish footballer was assaulted on live tv in front of millions and there are still people defending the man in that instance. so that's why

That was and continues to be the stupidest macho poo poo imaginable. If he had instantly apologised and said he got caught up in the moment or something like that, people would probably have shaken their heads and thought he was a bit of a tit, but OK, whatever. Instead he thought he should fight back against it, because god forbid admitting you made a mistake and have learned to be better, that would be WEAK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

The attempt at turning it into a musical is particularly horrific.
High on a hill was a lonely Humbert
Ped o lay ee ped o lay ee ped o lay hee hoo

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This a pertinent tweet

https://twitter.com/whartonswords/status/1703303587705634949

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Scientastic posted:

That was and continues to be the stupidest macho poo poo imaginable. If he had instantly apologised and said he got caught up in the moment or something like that, people would probably have shaken their heads and thought he was a bit of a tit, but OK, whatever. Instead he thought he should fight back against it, because god forbid admitting you made a mistake and have learned to be better, that would be WEAK.

Yep, this is yet another case of a man confidently ruining his professional life because of reasons

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

If Sunak announced today that from now on he was only going to wear big yellow shoes, a red nose and a spinning bow tie Kieth would be in his clown suit by 0900 tomorrow

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1703330769840615629?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Every suit Kieth wears is a clown suit

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Scientastic posted:

Initially he did. And then he decided to change tactic and gaslight her publicly.
If it hadn't been for international pressure he'd not have quit.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1703339936089289133

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

There's a surprising amount of people who claim to be on the left who are openly defending the serial rapist and borderline nonce on twitter. And it seems to be the same types of people who were also sucked into the 5G Covid denialism 15 minute city conspiracy bullshit.

If he was a threat to the Establishment they would have done something when he was a A-list movie star, not wait until he was a D-List Joe Rogan trying to sell out smaller rooms in civic centers.

The why now is because he doesn't have the sway to protect himself anymore. Channel 4 don't want him to host Panel show #359 and he's not getting cast in another film. Might as well get a few more coppers from his downfall if you can't make any protecting him.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

If he was a threat to the Establishment they would have done something when he was a A-list movie star, not wait until he was a D-List Joe Rogan trying to sell out smaller rooms in civic centers.

The why now is because he doesn't have the sway to protect himself anymore. Channel 4 don't want him to host Panel show #359 and he's not getting cast in another film. Might as well get a few more coppers from his downfall if you can't make any protecting him.

What you actually saw last night was a frantic bit of arse covering by his main employer channel 4. As the programme detailed they and their suppliers spent many years enabling him and ignoring any complaints about his behaviour. By rushing out a despatches to accompany the story the times had they at least get to look like they’re now sorry and are being proactive. I work in TV and nothing I saw from those junior runners last night surprised me. That is how the industry still works.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

What you actually saw last night was a frantic bit of arse covering by his main employer channel 4. As the programme detailed they and their suppliers spent many years enabling him and ignoring any complaints about his behaviour. By rushing out a despatches to accompany the story the times had they at least get to look like they’re now sorry and are being proactive. I work in TV and nothing I saw from those junior runners last night surprised me. That is how the industry still works.

100% this. It's no different than the tactics used by Brand in trying to get his version of the story out first.

I forget which show it was, but there was a load of stuff that was due to come out in the papers about Brand a few years ago. Channel 4 knew about what was potentially coming, so instead of postponing/cancelling the launch of the show Brand was in, or even airing the pre-recorded episodes on its scheduled weekly slot, they decided to air the entire series daily in the space of one week. Brand got a super-injunction in the end, so the story never came out... but still...

So many people are complicit, and there are so many other predators like Brand in the industry.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yep, this is yet another case of a man confidently ruining his professional life because of reasons

The reason to me is he is a man with certain "strongly held beliefs."

Namely that Rape only occurs when a man grabs a woman off the streets and has sex with her in an alleyway.
Anything less than that and its contrsted negotiation of sexual Congress between a Man and a Woman.

So when he was asked to apologise for that (and the earlier incident where he was caught doing a full Whacko-Jacko in front of the queen and her teenage daughter) his defence really sounded like "why are you calling me a rapist. I didn't drag her into an alleyway, so I'm not a rapist."

And in his head, he thought himself justified in defending something horrible that was watched by millions of people because he believed that it was his viewpoint that was more important than the facts.

I come back to that great quote from Dr. Who about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqpq9tP14PA

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

If Sunak announced today that from now on he was only going to wear big yellow shoes, a red nose and a spinning bow tie Kieth would be in his clown suit by 0900 tomorrow

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1703330769840615629?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Good, Labour should scrap the entire thing and spend the money on the other lines across the country. The connections between Manc-Brum-LDN are light years ahead of what the rest of the country has to deal with, and this entire project was just an attempt by Osborne to have some sort of infrastructure legacy, despite it not being what we need.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fuctifino posted:

If there's one thing the establishment fears it's long, incoherently rambling rants from a has-been that say nothing and go nowhere.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1703320514117181513

quote:

Child food poverty is dramatically on the rise in the UK. So-called ‘Victorian diseases’ are returning at an alarming rate. The Times reports that in the fiscal year 2022-2023 nearly 11,000 people were hospitalised with malnutrition in England, of which 312 were children.

That same year some 171 were treated for scurvy, once considered to be a sailor’s disease. Rickets were found in 482 people. Of those, 405 were children.

It is a sad fact that we as a nation are failing our children. Child poverty in England stood at 31% in the year 2021-2022, with people more dependent than ever on food banks, baby banks and clothing banks to survive. The highest rate of poverty is in the West Midlands at 38%.

A poll last year found that children are so hungry they are eating rubbers and stealing each other’s food. In 2020 UNICEF, for the first time in its over 70-year history, intervened to feed the UK’s children, an act of kindness and compassion criticised by Jacob Rees-Mogg.

GPs are now facing patients who are requesting prescriptions for nutritional drink and food, and millions of households are facing a choice between feeding themselves or heating their homes. A survey has revealed that nine out of ten schools in England are handing out clothes to their pupils, with seven out of ten schools providing food for their students.

5th richest economy.....

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

DesperateDan posted:

noncestrocity

Word of the year 2023.

The Question IRL posted:

"why are you calling me a rapist. I didn't drag her into an alleyway, so I'm not a rapist."

This echoes the sentiment of a sex offender in Louis Theroux LA Stories 'Among the Sex Offenders' documentary. A guy in his 60s who had been in prison most of his life differentiating himself as a flasher and stalker from what he called "tree jumpers" who jump out of trees to rape women.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

smellmycheese posted:

If the Dispatches piece was a rushed frantic work to accompany a story the Times had, why did the Times describe it as a joint investigation with Dispatches? There’s no reason for the Times to share the credit if it was just their own story. They could have scooped Dispatches by releasing it just one day earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Word of the year 2023.

This echoes the sentiment of a sex offender in Louis Theroux LA Stories 'Among the Sex Offenders' documentary. A guy in his 60s who had been in prison most of his life differentiating himself as a flasher and stalker from what he called "tree jumpers" who jump out of trees to rape women.
*rapist mid descent from tree* "At least I'm not a paedophile!" *slams into tarmac*