Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I spent all day yesterday setting up uranium ore mining and uranium oxide export with realistic building, and I rewarded the workers by having them build a Palace of Communism for themselves to enjoy

Trying to decide between starting a new game with electricity turned on, or trying my hand at building cars with rubles and exporting them to NATO for dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I spent all day yesterday setting up uranium ore mining and uranium oxide export with realistic building, and I rewarded the workers by having them build a Palace of Communism for themselves to enjoy

Trying to decide between starting a new game with electricity turned on, or trying my hand at building cars with rubles and exporting them to NATO for dollars

Army industry is mentioned in their roadmap page as a potential system for a future DLC. No idea how much weight this has.

In the meantime, you could download various mod to build military hardware like ships and planes to export.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

the W&R engine started out life as a helicopter shooter, so all the bones for combat are actually in there.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

W&R accurately simulates both western technological egotism and late DDR/RSFSR "but muh Levis!" import fetishism, so you want to do the opposite--get a production license for the definitely not a Beetle personal car and then ship then en masse east.

At a bare 1970 start to check, though prices are of course slightly randomized per save:
Even the Tatra T613, a legit luxury sportscar competing with the Corvette with a body designed by a coachbuilder that usually worked for Ferrari and Maserati, exports to WP for ₽1,972 and NATO for only $547. Production time 174 working days--2.1t steel, 68kg plastic, 14kg fabric, 660kg mechanical parts, 80kg electronic components.
Meanwhile the Beetle ("Beat 1200" in game) exports to WP for ₽2,285 and NATO for $1,294. Production time 47 workdays--materials 810kg steel, 30kg plastic, 14kg fabric, 200kg mechanical parts, 25kg electronic components.

Export values of the raw materials are steel, ₽312.44/$366.87--plastic, ₽552.48/$676.09--fabric, ₽310.92/$407.06--mechanical parts, ₽547.23/$654.37--electronic components, ₽1,080.48/$1,364.99. So total materials opportunity cost of T613, ₽1,145.65, value add per working day ₽4.75; value of exporting 2.1t of steel west alone is $770.43, $223.43 higher than finished vehicle. Beetle cost is ₽410.46, value add per working day ₽39.88--$488.13, value add per working day $17.15, so viable for building dollar current account as well.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Historical trivia: Yugoslavia stopped the effort to keep saying "No, we're not capitalists, we're still communists" directed at the Soviet Bloc once it was figured out that every time the SU went on a "capitalist Yugoslavia" rant, Yugoslavia's consumer good and vehicle exports to the Warsaw Pact skyrocketed, in both volume and price.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

w&r: will workers chain transportation methods to get to a job site? like taking the bus to a train station?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

w&r: will workers chain transportation methods to get to a job site? like taking the bus to a train station?

yeah, although it might take a little bit of tweaking to get it working the way you want

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Busses are just worker fire hoses, so if you spray some workers at the train station it should work. I guess stations are like hose connectors/splitters in this analogy.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Mister Bates posted:

yeah, although it might take a little bit of tweaking to get it working the way you want

the most reliable way is to specifically direct workers who arrive at a bus or train station to go to another station or the specific job you want to fill. this doesn't necessarily help if you want to fill lots of specific jobs though

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Chain (at least used to) work only if there's a walk involved. Agents will see other stations with routes leading to worksites as worksites and path there, but will not see the station they're currently at as one.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
You can use the transfer option to drop workers off at a station and force them to wait for another line.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I've played through the tutorials, and one of them shows two ways to do it. Since it provides an actual example you can look at, I'd advise checking it out. (this isn't intended to be a "play the tutorial, dumbass", I just genuinely think that having an actually working example in front of you helps figure things out.)

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I wish UoC/UoC2 had a mobile version; I don't normally play games on my phone but I'd play me some UoC. I do have Twilight Struggle but for some reason I'm never in the mood.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Twilight Struggle app is nice but holy poo poo the AI is awful. I've got Dominion, Through The Ages, and Spirit Island on my phone and they've all got good AI (the latter cheating by being a coop to begin with)

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I have a bunch of games from a series called Pixel Soldiers that are pretty fun.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
It looks like Matrix is running a Steam sale on most of their library if you're looking to pick up your sundry Combat Missions or Strategic Commands or Wars Across the World scenarios or whatever.

Even CMO is pretty deeply discounted. It also released a new community scenario pack yesterday, featuring not one but two fictional 'ripped from the headlines' scenarios in which you play as the French putting down revolts in their 'former' African colonies (in addition to the third currently being developed as a paid Command Showcase release). Also two different new scenarios in which you play as the Americans trying to break a Chinese blockade of Taiwan, and two different 'beat up Venezuela' scenarios. One has the player as the Dutch sinking Venezuelan fishing boats for straying too close to their Caribbean colonies, and the other one simulates a 2019 invasion to put down Maduro - this one is, mind-bogglingly, named after the Hitler 'we only have to kick down the door' quote, with the player being the one doing the door-kicking. 50% off for the next 24 hours if extremely thinly disguised neo-Nazi wank fantasies are your jam.

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Sep 17, 2023

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

It looks like Matrix is running a Steam sale on most of their library if you're looking to pick up your sundry Combat Missions or Strategic Commands or Wars Across the World scenarios or whatever.

Even CMO is pretty deeply discounted. It also released a new community scenario pack yesterday, featuring not one but two fictional 'ripped from the headlines' scenarios in which you play as the French putting down revolts in their 'former' African colonies (in addition to the third currently being developed as a paid Command Showcase release). Also two different new scenarios in which you play as the Americans trying to break a Chinese blockade of Taiwan, and two different 'beat up Venezuela' scenarios. One has the player as the Dutch sinking Venezuelan fishing boats for straying too close to their Caribbean colonies, and the other one simulates a 2019 invasion to put down Maduro - this one is, mind-bogglingly, named after the Hitler 'we only have to kick down the door' quote, with the player being the one doing the door-kicking. 50% off for the next 24 hours if extremely thinly disguised neo-Nazi wank fantasies are your jam.

No nuking Iran or the DPRK? Bay of Pigs 2.0? Pretty restrained if you ask me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

my dad posted:

I've played through the tutorials, and one of them shows two ways to do it. Since it provides an actual example you can look at, I'd advise checking it out. (this isn't intended to be a "play the tutorial, dumbass", I just genuinely think that having an actually working example in front of you helps figure things out.)

W&R has great tutorials but you can and should pause sometimes during the tuturial to distill "ok what have I done so far , how and why"
basically its tutorial goes at a breakneck speed if you let it, which leads to feeling overwhelmed.

but you can just ... not do the next step until you're ready.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

BadOptics posted:

No nuking Iran or the DPRK? Bay of Pigs 2.0? Pretty restrained if you ask me.

you joke but one of the other scenarios in the pack actually is a DPRK nuclear attack scenario lol, and there is also a fictional ‘fighting Iranians in Tajikistan in 1993’ one

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Was feeling kinda down today and resolved it by breaking out a hypercomplex board game about psychopathic English imperialists (John Company 2e). I guess not knowing the rules and barely keeping afloat is the secret good ending anyway

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I played Scythe for first time on the wkd

good game, but I was expecting it to be a wargame and not a Euro with a bit of fighting at the end

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Scythe starts out very cool but after max 10 plays you figure out that the faction balance is a horrific mess.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

Scythe starts out very cool but after max 10 plays you figure out that the faction balance is a horrific mess.

it does seem very static and the limited player interaction early on means games have low variability. So there's just optimal build orders for every faction with predictable outcomes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Typo posted:

it does seem very static and the limited player interaction early on means games have low variability. So there's just optimal build orders for every faction with predictable outcomes.

Yup, pretty much, and some factions (whatever the Soviet one is called and Crimea) are way faster than the others.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

Yup, pretty much, and some factions (whatever the Soviet one is called and Crimea) are way faster than the others.

I won as the Soviet faction it's pretty intuitive: just rush all your workers asap and then produce/upgrade to hit your victory stars

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah and then you'll learn that upgrading is a bad star since it takes 6 actions rather than most the others taking 4. But yeah take all workers, get all the enlists, get all the mechs, then go beat up some nerds for the last stars.

Other Stonemaier games have the same problem really. Tapestry has a whole bunch of errata to try to balance its factions and it still comes down to a lot of randomness in the tech card draws in the game. Same with Scythe and its event card draws. Dude really loves his wildly assymetric factions but doesn't even get close to balancing them, and then adds more swingy luck factors on top of that. I don't think you can describe these games as proper Euros really.

High component quality and a lot of theming though, which makes them real popular.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Sep 18, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah and then you'll learn that upgrading is a bad star since it takes 6 actions rather than most the others taking 4. But yeah take all workers, get all the enlists, get all the mechs, then go beat up some nerds for the last stars.

I didn't upgrade all 6 I just upgraded the bolster/enlistment tile until it took only 1 food for enlistment

then I kept bolstering to get military points/recruits until I maxed out on both milPower and recruits to get 2 stars.

Then I just use the power points to win 2 combats to finish the game

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, I've been trying to figure out fuel efficiency in W&R, and then decided to look it up, and it appears that I was mostly on the right track. There's a bunch of math that boils down to really simple results for road vehicles.

Horsepower is the main measure of how much fuel you're guzzling and the main number you want to make go down. If you just look at every vehicle and divide its capacity with its horsepower, you'll get surprisingly accurate fuel efficiency estimate.

Empty weight (capacity has no effect on this) is a modifier to the above. As a general rule of thumb, 2-14 tons is roughly in the same ballpark, double efficiency for 1 ton vehicles, half efficiency for 15+ ton vehicles. Somewhat inaccurate, the actual numbers are a bit more complex, but I don't think it's worthwhile to waste more time on it. The cutoff points are <2, 2+, 5+, 10+, 15+ and most vehicles with similar traits but different weights are still in the same category.

Speed for the most part does not influence your fuel efficiency - you will spend the same amount of fuel to cross a kilometer no matter how long it takes. The one exception is that you're being inefficient if you're currently moving at less speed than your car is capable of achieving on the road it's on (for example when turning) because consumption is counted based on your max speed for the road you're currently driving on. High horsepower vehicles accelerate slightly faster, so are slightly less inefficient than other vehicles when they have to turn a lot. You can probably save some fuel by downgrading roads where your vehicles never get to accelerate above 60kph anyway, but it's a waste of time imo.

You consume extra fuel based on the percentage of maximum load you're carrying, but it's like 25% or so, but this is universal and so mostly irrelevant.

e: The basic horsepower math is similar for trains, but the rise in fuel consumption for extra wagons is so tiny that you pretty much always want to run maximum choo choo snek unless you know for certain that you won't need more wagons. Go big or go home.

my dad has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Sep 18, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Basic example would be that Zis155/Zil158 are the best early buses if you're going at full capacity. But if you're running half capacity or lower, suddenly the RF-977 microbus takes over. Assuming parking space and road capacity isn't a factor (not a trivial thing later on, but I'm assuming you're using the limited free parking options at first, and that vehicles are fairly sparse), 3 microbus are cheaper and can be more granular about delivering workers. Solid for importing workforce for construction projects. Hell, the personal car Trabi is unironically pretty decent at low intensity transportation. You could absolutely just hand these out to people in villages to let them make better use of spread out infrastructure - parking lots are cheap, and space isn't at a premium there.

I've also been experimenting with farm vehicle and farm loadouts, but that involves me leaving the game running while I go do other things, so it's not going quickly. :v: The big takeaway so far has been that you always want Western combine harvesters, not the Eastern ones, and that it's generally always most cost effective (and plain easier to organize and automate) to make a bigger farm for extra parking space rather than trying to utilize other parking options. 1 tractor : 1 harvester : 1.5 bigest trucks you can get : 2 big fields seems to be the right ratio get the most out of your harvest, at roughly 500 tons per field. It's not a nice ratio for the multiple of 6 capacities of farms, but doing a 3 : 3 : 5 and leaving 1 parking spot empty isn't the end of the world. A minimalist setup of 1:2:3 and 8 medium fields works decently for a budget farm somewhere you're tight on space.

I'm really curious if my hunch about cableways being the ideal way of transporting grain to a small centralized rail adjacent storage is correct. You'd need enough grain capacity per farm to store a harvest, but your central grain hub wouldn't need all that much since it would be receiving a constant trickle throughout the year, it would still be effectively utilizing the storage capacity of the farms, and the trains would constantly be carrying it off to where it's needed.

my dad has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Sep 18, 2023

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Distribution Office trucks can pick up grain from fields, btw. So you can park even more tractors and combines at your farms.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Polikarpov posted:

Distribution Office trucks can pick up grain from fields, btw. So you can park even more tractors and combines at your farms.

But why would you?

If you're using the free distribution offices, then yes, you can get 3 tractors and 3 harvesters into a small farm, and the 6 trucks in two free offices (taking up 2 of your 5 free offices). Alternatively, you could use a constructed distribution office, for 5 trucks. Do you know what costs less while giving you an extra slot, more storage space, the ability to pipe in fuel or fertilizer, requiring the same total surface area, and requiring no additional setup? A bigger farm.

(with micromanagement, you can also use vehicle depots to switch out tractors and harvesters just before harvest, but that also costs more than it's worth if you're not using the free ones, on top of being a bigger micromanagement headache)

e: If you have offices with spare assignments and trucks, by all means, supplement your harvest with them, but don't build them for that purpose.

e2: Also, non-free distribution offices need research.

my dad has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Sep 18, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TilFolkvang/status/1703895320961355799?t=rfsWNgNs3-aGRl31kHoX8g&s=19

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think I've finally figured out how to play John Company, though I still have no idea how to teach it

The company failed in the last turn, beat the AI family on normal mode

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

:wrong:

It's the Year of RPGs, dwi nerds.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

my dad posted:

But why would you?

If you're using the free distribution offices, then yes, you can get 3 tractors and 3 harvesters into a small farm, and the 6 trucks in two free offices (taking up 2 of your 5 free offices). Alternatively, you could use a constructed distribution office, for 5 trucks. Do you know what costs less while giving you an extra slot, more storage space, the ability to pipe in fuel or fertilizer, requiring the same total surface area, and requiring no additional setup? A bigger farm.

(with micromanagement, you can also use vehicle depots to switch out tractors and harvesters just before harvest, but that also costs more than it's worth if you're not using the free ones, on top of being a bigger micromanagement headache)

e: If you have offices with spare assignments and trucks, by all means, supplement your harvest with them, but don't build them for that purpose.

e2: Also, non-free distribution offices need research.

Truck from DO have the benefit of unloading where you want as opposed to at the farm. It can be worked around but having a rail line going to your silos directly attached to the farm might be more effort than just telling a DO to unload grain at a silo built where connecting rail could be easier.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there like a distribution office but for people

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

yeah, a heavily ideologized 'simulation' definitely counts as strategy. goddamn category mistake

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

No. Your options for people are lines (bus, helicopters, metro, train, trams, trolley busses, planes and ships), walking range and cable cars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Need to mod in filtration camps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

w&r: is train auto-pathfinding categorically bad? I just had a train bypass this passenger station for no discernable reason.

e: oh I should probably set those chain signals, at the platform, to bi directional.