Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

zelah posted:

My gripe is every time Ahsoka does her deep breath cool guy crossed arms pose. Quit crossing your arms so much it’s weird

She did it all the way through the clone wars, it's basically her power pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

zelah posted:

My gripe is every time Ahsoka does her deep breath cool guy crossed arms pose. Quit crossing your arms so much it’s weird

:colbert:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
The blame lies here

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Complications posted:

I'm watching the Ahsoka show and man these people have a problem with just spelling out the bottom line problems. It's good popcorn fun but it bugs me. Just tell Sabine that there's darksiders in play after the map, and you want to be nearby so she doesn't get lightsaber'd instead of vague platitudes about importance. And that crap with the Senators! You have nine missing SSD hyperdrive motivators in the wind. That's a fuckton of heavy metal some imperial rear end in a top hat now has in play as far as you and them know. That's plenty of motive to dispatch a fleet in the name of keeping the Empire's remnants nice and suppressed and not unifying around, say, nine SSDs. Don't talk about ~Grand Admiral Thrawn~ like some conspiracy nut, talk about how somebody's snookered everybody with big new ships. The New Republic of all people know how many capital ships can be built without control of the big shipyards.

The people largely responsible for the New Republic, besides the former Rebels, are largely the people who profit from the forever war continuing. They were there during the Republic, they were there during the Empire, and one can only assume they’ll be the first senators to ‘embrace’ whatever replaces the NR

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Are New Republic uniforms looking uselessly dressy and ill fitting a flaw in wardrobe or a long running visual metaphor? I still can't decide.

The switch from oranges, tans and browns to white and blue definitely is though.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
It was sort of a theme in a few EU books but they basically went from “wear whatever works we’re at war” to designing fancy useless uniforms by committee. I remember it being a thing in the X wing books at the very least

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Love Rat posted:

My biggest beef with the visuals in new Trek shows is they can keep the camera still. They pan and zoom and whirl around the set constantly. Even in shots with two characters sitting down, they manage to pan right and left, creating some kind of parallax effect that reminds of me old NES Ninja Gaiden games.

There's one scene in Discovery where they're on the bridge and the camera is spinning around as it pans across the room and words alone cannot describe how loving stupid it was.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Cage Kicker posted:

It was sort of a theme in a few EU books but they basically went from “wear whatever works we’re at war” to designing fancy useless uniforms by committee. I remember it being a thing in the X wing books at the very least

it was like a skin tight bodystocking with an ugly jacket over the top, polar opposite of their regular flight uniform

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Having packets of throat lozenges for rank insignias is going to be open to abuse.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Shoehead posted:

Are New Republic uniforms looking uselessly dressy and ill fitting a flaw in wardrobe or a long running visual metaphor? I still can't decide.

The switch from oranges, tans and browns to white and blue definitely is though.

This is what, ten years post RotJ? Star Wars are has developed from the late 70s to early 90s.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is what, ten years post RotJ? Star Wars are has developed from the late 70s to early 90s.

ten years from the first death star.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

Droids, hyperdrives, lasers, etc, have stagnated for centuries, if not millennia.

All so that the brightest minds in the galaxy can focus on the evolution of style

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Whenever Ahsoka runs it looks like she’s wearing a pile of laundry.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The poncho really feels like they put the entire Ahsoka costume budget into makeup

The smoke machine planet and the fact they didn't get Temuera Morrison here while they got him for 2 seconds in Obiwan also smelled of holes in the budget

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

La Louve Rouge posted:

The poncho really feels like they put the entire Ahsoka costume budget into makeup

The smoke machine planet and the fact they didn't get Temuera Morrison here while they got him for 2 seconds in Obiwan also smelled of holes in the budget

No, that was still him voicing Rex and the other clones during the Clone Wars sequence (as far as I’ve heard at least)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so I too didn't watch the animated series, I do have a general outline of Ahsoka and Annakin's relationship though so the episode worked fine for me. Is there anything from it I really need to see?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alan Smithee posted:

so I too didn't watch the animated series, I do have a general outline of Ahsoka and Annakin's relationship though so the episode worked fine for me. Is there anything from it I really need to see?

Episode 5 drew more on the vibes than on the details. There are good TCW arcs with Ahsoka (both standalone and more connected) but nothing that would really add to the specifics of the show.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Alan Smithee posted:

You could just watch the last 3 seasons of clone wars, all the relevant stuff is there. It's also the basis for where the Mandalorians are now, and Maul's return. Faling that watch the last two seasons, season 7 is short because it came much later, and it's drat near the best star wars, period.

The last two seasons of Rebels sets up Ahoka proper, and it's the intro and story arc for Thrawn.

e: Plus you get to watch the phenomenal job Sam Witwer did for Maul, the second best character arc in the universe.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 17, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The funny thing is that Ahsoka has maybe 10 minutes of screentime in the final two seasons of Rebels.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The funny thing is that Ahsoka has maybe 10 minutes of screentime in the final two seasons of Rebels.

Yeah, but that's not why it sets it up for the show.

I'd also follow this to get clone wars in the right order, canonically, but like i said, season 5 onwards then go back if you like clones and space battles.
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars-correct-viewing-order/

e: Bo Katan's first appearance is in episode 14 season 4, though she's in season 5 the most i think.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 17, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'd also follow this to get clone wars in the right order, canonically, but like i said, season 5 onwards then go back if you like clones and space battles.
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars-correct-viewing-order/
Why though? Why is it better to watch the Zillo Beast arc before Geonosis? Or to split up Clone Cadets and ARC Troopers, despite being being made as a pair of episodes showing the same people at different stages in their career?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
If "correct order" means anything it's airdate order

I mean do what you want but acting like there's a RIGHT way that isn't the actual presented order is lol

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

zelah posted:

My issue is that I've been seeing everyone do it all in the same scene. Hologram Hera, Ahsoka, and Sabine. There are lots of shots that seem to have been posed and framed like someone used to making iconic based storyboards (eg an animator) and applying them to live action and it's sorta starting to feel like a lack of visual vocabulary.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why though? Why is it better to watch the Zillo Beast arc before Geonosis? Or to split up Clone Cadets and ARC Troopers, despite being being made as a pair of episodes showing the same people at different stages in their career?

I don't care about the order for most of the run, but season 5 and 6 there's only a couple you need to change because chronologically stuff happens out of order, and season 7 is the same, Ahsoka has a arc that runs at the same time as something in season 6.

It's not a big deal, depends how you like things to flow.

Also everyone should watch the Son of Dathomir motion comic on youtube, because it was a Maul arc that was cut from the show in season 6, and it's the only Legends thing that carried over.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

maybealabia posted:

I mean do what you want but acting like there's a RIGHT way that isn't the actual presented order is lol

It's nothing to do with the right way, it's just the right order, chronologically. Watch it that way or don't. I'm just providing the info

It is an official order. It's on the Star Wars site, i just found the screenrant reprint one first

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 17, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I don't care about the order for most of the run, but season 5 and 6 there's only a couple you need to change because chronologically stuff happens out of order, and season 7 is the same, Ahsoka has a arc that runs at the same time as something in season 6.

It's not a big deal, depends how you like things to flow.

Also everyone should watch the Son of Dathomir motion comic on youtube, because it was a Maul arc that was cut from the show in season 6, and it's the only Legends thing that carried over.

I believe by the later seasons they pretty much stopped doing things out of order anyway (which was apparently a conscious choice by the staff rather than the network screwing up)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
My official Clone Wars viewing order (alphabetical):

Season 3, Episode 16: Altar of Mortis. This is the second part of a three-part arc, but it's a solid contender for most alphabetical episode. It starts with the letter A and L is a strong second.

Season 1, Episode 1: Ambush. Some people will tell you that you should start with this episode, seeing how it's the first episode of the series, but you'll miss the crucial details that come from the previous episode about weird Force poo poo in this episode about a space battle.

Season 6, Episode 5: An Old Friend. Eventually you'll learn more about Rush Clovis, though not for a while, since the episode he's introduced in starts with S...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

I believe by the later seasons they pretty much stopped doing things out of order anyway (which was apparently a conscious choice by the staff rather than the network screwing up)

Yeah. The S5 premiere was originally meant to be later in the series (where it is placed on the DVDs) but they moved it up because they wanted to start with a Maul story.

They also just stopped saying things were out of order. The Clovis arc was made much earlier than it was aired, they just held it back and said it happened in between the arcs it aired between.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah. The S5 premiere was originally meant to be later in the series (where it is placed on the DVDs) but they moved it up because they wanted to start with a Maul story.

They also just stopped saying things were out of order a bit. The Clovis arc was made much earlier than it was aired, they just held it back and said it happened in between the episodes it aired between.

According to the guide they still mixed around the order of the last season though (Seasons 4 and 6 were the only ones aired in the “correct” order)

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They also just stopped saying things were out of order. The Clovis arc was made much earlier than it was aired, they just held it back and said it happened in between the arcs it aired between.

Yeah there's only 1 episode out of order in season 5 and none in season 6, and season 7 you just move arc 2 two arc 1 so the ahsoka timeline lines up.

It's not a big deal either way, season 5 is the worst, because they moved a late episode to the first for action and it's never mentioned again for like 14 episodes.

It'd be so much less arguing if Disney + would add a chron list to the site, but they change their minds by committee.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 17, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Doctor Spaceman posted:

maybealabia posted:

Because the broadcast/airing order isn't the chronological order the episodes are actually set in, particularly for the first 2-3 seasons.

To use the episodes mentioned above, Clone Cadets is Season 3, Episode 1, focusing on a Domino squad's training and is basically the introduction to several clones who will be featured throughout the run of the show, notably Fives and Echo (Who is later in Bad Batch). However, the episode that shows their first assignment immediately after completing training is Rookies, which is Season 1, Episode 5. I believe a few of them also show up in the Ryloth arc (Which is late season 1) and the return to Geonosis episodes (Early season 2), and maybe a few others before we get to S3E2 Arc Troopers, where the surviving members of Domino squad are now experienced veterans.

You also get a similar thing with the whole Christophsis arc, which is where the movie starts. Cat and Mouse (S2E16) and Hidden Enemy (S1E16) are the two episodes showing how Obi-Wan and Anakin got there before the Clone Wars movie starts and brings in Ahsoka.

This comes up every few months, but the chronological order thing is even on the Star Wars website. Some people are fine with the broadcast order being out of order, but others don't like it. My view is if you try the broadcast order and don't like it jumping around the way it does, go with the chronological order. By the end of season 3, it's almost entirely chronological from that point on anyway, aside from one or two episodes that take place simultaneously to other arcs and it's less of an issue. Chronological I think is also better if you aren't trying to watch the entire series, but just want to hit the high points and most important episodes, since that'd have you skipping around anyway.

edit: slightly beaten, but with a bit more detail

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
NumeralJoker made some fan edits of the important arcs, with just the intros and outros removed, turned them into mini movies. They are great for just this type of situation.

Badabing you know all the relevant poo poo

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I'm just thinking of those lists of Star Trek scenes in chronological order including aLL the time travel and a similar one I saw for LOST

It's an interesting experiment but I don't see why it's so challenging or bad that things intentionally aren't presented in time order

Again, do what you want, but the advice I would give to someone intending to watch it all, rather than just a few discrete arcs, is to watch it as presented

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

maybealabia posted:

I'm just thinking of those lists of Star Trek scenes in chronological order including aLL the time travel and a similar one I saw for LOST

It's an interesting experiment but I don't see why it's so challenging or bad that things intentionally aren't presented in time order

Again, do what you want, but the advice I would give to someone intending to watch it all, rather than just a few discrete arcs, is to watch it as presented

People expect things to be in order going in, the whole universe it set that way, you throw an anthology style in and it frustrates some people. But at the risk of beating a dead horse over and over.
It's about giving people a choice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, why did they decide to air Clone Wars the way they did rather than chronologically? Even the movie technically takes place a couple episodes into the series

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why did they decide to air Clone Wars the way they did rather than chronologically? Even the movie technically takes place a couple episodes into the series

combination of George trying something new and the network doing what networks do.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Watch the list of clone wars episodes to skip on shuffle.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Spookydonut posted:

Watch the list of clone wars episodes to skip on shuffle.

The chron list with skips is the one true list!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Stegosnaurlax posted:

People expect things to be in order going in, the whole universe it set that way, you throw an anthology style in and it frustrates some people. But at the risk of beating a dead horse over and over.
It's about giving people a choice.

What? Star Wars, known for starting on episode 4 and releasing episode 1 like 30 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

koolkal posted:

What? Star Wars, known for starting on episode 4 and releasing episode 1 like 30 years later.

That's not the same, it's a complete story trilogy in order, Arguably it makes more sense to watch clone wars in chron order because it slots right between 2 and 3.

e: I'll be ignoring this now. I'm going to bed like a grown up, in my R2D2 pajamas

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 17, 2023