Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/how-pokemons-arrival-in-the-uk-changed-games-workshop-forever

Here's an interesting read that just dropped about how Pokemon in the UK had an effect on GW.

So we got spared a more kid focused GW, although I wonder where this lies in the general timeline of things.

Honestly, licensing 40K out for a ton of videogames probably did more to catch the attention of the youth than Warhammer Junior ever would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

NofrikinfuN posted:

Honestly, licensing 40K out for a ton of videogames probably did more to catch the attention of the youth than Warhammer Junior ever would have.

I feel like their current strategy is to have lots of relatively low-investment points of entry through video games and Black Library stuff, but keeping core 40k expensive and time-consuming in a way that fits better with older audiences. Which honestly seems like a really smart strategy, but I知 not sure how much of it is deliberate and how much of it is a random evolution from them just throwing everything at the wall.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Devorum posted:

Having recently assembled about 20 of these for a friend, they have a tendency to gap across the pauldrons unfortunately. If the legs aren't perfectly positioned, it can throw the whole thing off.

I keep a bottle of Vallejo plastic putty on hand for gaps (better than green stuff for most gaps, in my opinion) and also a jar of "sprue glue", which is where you dissolve sprue plastic in a half full jar of Tamiya cement until it's a little thick. Makes a great gap filling glue.

Yeah the sister shoulder pads are pains in the rear end. I have the same issue with most of mine. I'm gonna try Vallejo plastic putty. About sprue glue - is it safe for working the gaps on a shoulder pad that run through details like a fleur de lis or wings? With part dissolving glue in it won't it mush the detail?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah the sister shoulder pads are pains in the rear end. I have the same issue with most of mine. I'm gonna try Vallejo plastic putty. About sprue glue - is it safe for working the gaps on a shoulder pad that run through details like a fleur de lis or wings? With part dissolving glue in it won't it mush the detail?

It's pretty easy to control when it's thick. I use the brush and a toothpick, but it can mess up details if it gets globbed on them. When possible, I try to come at it from a less visible side.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

God the seraphim are so cool, got a second unit to build as well

For the flight lifter things, should I glue the seraphim to them now so I can play with them, the I guess just mask the stands off when it comes time to paint?

They've gone together super smoothly, no gaps like i ran into a few times yesterday with the battle sisters

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

God the seraphim are so cool, got a second unit to build as well

For the flight lifter things, should I glue the seraphim to them now so I can play with them, the I guess just mask the stands off when it comes time to paint?

They've gone together super smoothly, no gaps like i ran into a few times yesterday with the battle sisters

I stick flying bases on with bluetack for playing before they're painted.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

You melt sprue lines?? How tf does that work without getting the stuff everywhere?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/17/sunday-preview-knights-vampires-and-classic-warhammer-40000-terrain

Next week sees something as peculiar as Made to Order for Terrain and bases.
But it's Aegis Defence Line, the Imperial Bastion, the Skyshield Landing Pad, the Imperial Bunker, the Imperial Defence Emplacement, and the Imperial Defence Line. No eagle cannon however, which is sad.

The old Hero bases kit and the Sector Imperialis Large Base Detail Kit will also be available for MtO.

quote:

They値l all be available from next Saturday, the 23rd of September until 8am on Monday, the 2nd of October.

And there's also a pair of Knights up for pre-order too. :v:

And WarCom is gearing up for Space Marine codex release;

quote:

Meanwhile we値l have the usual goodness on Warhammer Community, including key information on the new Detachments in Codex: Space Marines and plenty of Vampiric Blood Bowl lore to stick your teeth into.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Knights are reaching Primaris levels of constantly having to ask wtf this Piglatinius Interchangeabilia does

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Devorum posted:

I stick flying bases on with bluetack for playing before they're painted.

Oh that's a great idea, thanks!

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have finished what I think is the first fully based squad I have ever done.

There are tons of imperfections, but I don't really care. I spent enough time on these to be well outside the ability to judge them objectively. Also, when together and viewed at a distance, they actually do look pretty good. The tufts of grass is something I got from a local model train shop, and it was an absolute PITA to glue, but I think that's because the tubes of superglue I have aren't very good.

When creating the bases, I didn't really have a good idea of what I wanted, except something vaguely forest/wilderness-like, so I just put on some Stirland Mud and then random contrast paints and drybrushes until I got something that looked OK-ish.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Combat patrol fully assembled with uh.. only a few issues! :toot:

Probably the weirdest one today was the penetent engine that absolutely would not want to line up until I filed it a little and used a fair amount of force to ensure the little ring part was seated correctly. After that step the rest of the assembly was smooth sailing

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

those sisters look great! last time I played their range was almost all metal, it rules how multipart plastic kits took over everything.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Crossposting from the minis painting thread (that people should check out if they don't already, there are some insanely talented goons posting there) since I just finished a small project I started in back in April, which was pretty much the first time I've touched a brush in more than a decade.
Bought a box of tactical marines, and instead of just going back to blue, I figured I wanted to try my hand at some of the scarier colours, and decided paint up one of each of the ten loyalist legions.

Group shot!

Everyone, in order of legion, obviously

Now that I've finished the tutorial, I guess I can finally start painting or something

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

coelomate posted:

those sisters look great! last time I played their range was almost all metal, it rules how multipart plastic kits took over everything.

I do feel some nostalgia for metal minis. I think assembling an old Canis Wolfborn I have somewhere would be a good cure for that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Bought a box of tactical marines, and instead of just going back to blue, I figured I wanted to try my hand at some of the scarier colours, and decided paint up one of each of the ten loyalist legions.

Been working on something similar over the past couple of years. At this point I'm down to four chapters, three boring ones and last one is yellow. :v:

Although will probably paint a proper Space Wolf as well at one point, and not one using 30k era colours.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Did up Morvahn Vahl in that same scheme and I like it a lot! I think I値l keep going all the way with this.

Also a bonus Inquisitor, done mostly with Contrast and Vallejo Metal Color.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

That Vahl is loving sick.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

a fatguy baldspot posted:

You melt sprue lines?? How tf does that work without getting the stuff everywhere?

Very carefully. It is definitely something that takes practice. A brush helps, like a natural fiber #0 or so that is cashed out for painting, but that is going to ruin it eventually.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Crossposting from the minis painting thread (that people should check out if they don't already, there are some insanely talented goons posting there) since I just finished a small project I started in back in April, which was pretty much the first time I've touched a brush in more than a decade.

Group shot!

Everyone, in order of legion, obviously

Now that I've finished the tutorial, I guess I can finally start painting or something

I love the original IH upgrades!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/18/celebrate-warhammer-day-with-a-brand-new-miniature/

GW want to offer an apology to all Votann players who have been left feeling forgotten by them for so long by giving them a FOMO model.
Also I keep thinking it looks like a really short Starcraft Marine.

At least it's not another loving Space Marine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/18/celebrate-warhammer-day-with-a-brand-new-miniature/

GW want to offer an apology to all Votann players who have been left feeling forgotten by them for so long by giving them a FOMO model.

Looks like Chucky.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

poo poo, now I can't unsee that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AI generated look

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
With the visor down it looks good as hell.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
what's up with all the static poses lately?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Bummed that there's no axe option, but I can fix that

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sherbert Hoover posted:

what's up with all the static poses lately?

Deathleaper is perched perilously on a bunch of old pipes with its bio trenchcoat blowing in the wind and its claws raised into the air taller than a Dreadnought how is it static

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The box set terminators are monopose right?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-assault-forces

Speaking of Space Marines, here's a look at how the new detachments in the codex are going to look like.

Apparently it's so special they even made a video about it. :jerkbag:

Oah of Moment is also changing:

quote:

You still select one unit each turn to be your target, but now you only reroll Hit rolls against them, instead of Hits and Wounds.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

a fatguy baldspot posted:

This really only works for really fine mould lines, especially if they're running through areas of fine detail that you can't get a blade into. The classic example is the ribbing texture on genestealers.

Scrape what you can off as usual and then just brush on the glue. This really only works with the solvent types (Tamiya Extra Thin, Mr Cement SP, PlasticWeld, MEK). Like the other goon has said you can use the brush to agitate the surface slightly to blur the lines even more. Use a natural hair brush for this (any cheap one will do) as the synthetic brushes may melt or degrade. I've got a cheap hogshair brush that I've used to apply glue for nearly 15 years and it's still going.

Don't do this with GW plastic glue as it has some plastic monomer in it and will gum up the detail.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Oah of Moment is also changing:
Awww man I just put assault cannons on everything...

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the detachment rule being "once per game you get the old Oath of Moment rules" is giving me a bad feeling about the book giving us an alternative to the Gladius.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's already been leaks of some of the detachments in the book. Off brand White Scars get fall back and charge and advance and charge on every unit and the Imperial Fist themed detachment gets Heavy on every weapon and weapons that already have Heavy get +1 to Wound.

E: idk if Anvilus is Iron Hands or Imperial Fists tbh

Eej fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 18, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm kind of surprised that Dark and Blood Angels are included, I know they're substantially Codex compliant but they feel so, I dunno, discrete from the rest of the generic chapters. I wonder if it will also include Space Wolves. The Oath of Moment change doesn't really surprise me since that's the Combat Patrol version.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Eej posted:

With the visor down it looks good as hell.

gently caress any dude in super heavy armor prancing around helmetless that doesn稚 have a helmet option in the box

JBP posted:

The box set terminators are monopose right?
P sure it痴 just the leviathan dudes

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 18, 2023

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I do like the part where the article calls out that with the +1 strength bonus melta rifles will now actually be able to do the job they were ostensibly created for.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

I want her and the GSG goblin from AoS but I am broke as gently caress this month

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

coelomate posted:

Those look great!

Thanks! Hey I ordered up some necron warriors and an overlord, I知 a doom stalker short of a combat patrol right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

rantmo posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Dark and Blood Angels are included, I know they're substantially Codex compliant but they feel so, I dunno, discrete from the rest of the generic chapters. I wonder if it will also include Space Wolves. The Oath of Moment change doesn't really surprise me since that's the Combat Patrol version.

The angels can use the detachments along with every other marine, but they don稚 have their own in this codex. They値l have their own codexies coming along later.