Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A cool thing about preordering records months in advance is that I forget about it and then I get a cool surprise at my door

I got Bowery Electric's self-titled album and then I have also ordered a copy of Beat because that album is good "sitting in the dark" listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought the record would have LEDs. Embedded I guess and powered by kinetic energy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought the record would have LEDs. Embedded I guess and powered by kinetic energy.

The static electricity generated by the friction of the needle powers them. Thank's, Elon

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Heath posted:

A cool thing about preordering records months in advance is that I forget about it and then I get a cool surprise at my door

I got Bowery Electric's self-titled album and then I have also ordered a copy of Beat because that album is good "sitting in the dark" listening

Oh hey - I just found this band while on a trip hop kick myself
incredible music that was there and gone and I never would have heard if not for pure chance

it's funny and sad to think how much talent is out there at any moment toiling away that will ultimately end up forgotten

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've found so much poo poo through trawling YouTube. One of my favorite bands was a completely random recommendation on a work computer of all things that all of us used with no logged in account. I cannot fathom how the algorithm churned out this one at exactly the right time for me to find it but I've since been on a mission to get their records since they have apparently vanished off the face of the earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ZpuJjirFM

Bowery Electric was a similar one. No idea where they came from or how I found them but YouTube turns up some weirdly specific vibes sometimes

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Happy Hippo posted:

To be clear, that's not official, right? Ex-Military is a mixtape so that's an "original" bootleg, right?

no its official. his brother bought it way back in their first LA show when they were still running the merch booths and everything

https://www.discogs.com/release/3267383-Death-Grips-Ex-Military

this pressing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

To any Genesis fans having trouble finding decent sounding versions of the original mixes for the 70's albums: Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, The Lamb, and Trick are getting reissues cut from the original master tapes.

The bad news? 45rpm. https://store.acousticsounds.com/a/3074/Genesis

BUT, there will be newly remastered Genesis SACDs too, so I don't doubt these will be the best sounding digital versions of the non-Lucas'd mixes (something no-one's ever been able to get right minus the Atlantic TotT CD from the 80's).

Also, I don't have any Christmas LP's yet so might be a perfect time to pop that cherry: https://store.atlanticrecords.com/en/atlantic-75/vinyl/christmas-eve-and-other-stories-crystal-clear-2lp/603497832675.html

breaking up supper's ready across two sides is a problem and then eight sides of lamb is an even bigger one

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Creature posted:

Isn’t that how it was released in Australia? I seem to recall that it was only when it was released in either the UK or US that they had to redo the samples. Or was there a version before the 'official' first release?

Yeah even the very first official release had to have a few samples cut or re-recorded. Can't even find a boot or anything with it all.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hexwren posted:

breaking up supper's ready across two sides is a problem and then eight sides of lamb is an even bigger one

Let’s bring back the 8 track and just cut songs in half.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like my Rumours 45 RPM pretty well but I don’t think I would enjoy having to get up and turn an album over every two songs or have a long song split up. It’d be like having one of the old Rush albums where there was a single song on a side split up. I want some of the Phil led era Genesis stuff but those prices are higher than I’d want to pay overall I think for 45 RPM versions.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
question about turntable setup if anyone happens to be familiar with it (belt-driven):

i recently got a pro-ject turntable (T1 so pretty basic model from them) and i think the cartridge got messed up a little while it was shipping. it was loose in the headshell and the stylus cover had fallen off in the box. anyway i know i should have exchanged it but i was too lazy to send something that heavy and delicate back so i learned how to align and calibrate it myself. i also attempted to verify that the stylus was not damaged using a magnifying glass. so during playback everything works fine now and it sounds great to my ears BUT...

issue: as soon as a side is over, if i dont catch it pretty quickly, the tone arm will quickly slide over to the center of the record (like within a matter of seconds) and scratch into the label sticker. is that common or did i gently caress something up calibrating it (maybe the counter weight is off idk)?

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

thathonkey posted:

question about turntable setup if anyone happens to be familiar with it (belt-driven):

i recently got a pro-ject turntable (T1 so pretty basic model from them) and i think the cartridge got messed up a little while it was shipping. it was loose in the headshell and the stylus cover had fallen off in the box. anyway i know i should have exchanged it but i was too lazy to send something that heavy and delicate back so i learned how to align and calibrate it myself. i also attempted to verify that the stylus was not damaged using a magnifying glass. so during playback everything works fine now and it sounds great to my ears BUT...

issue: as soon as a side is over, if i dont catch it pretty quickly, the tone arm will quickly slide over to the center of the record (like within a matter of seconds) and scratch into the label sticker. is that common or did i gently caress something up calibrating it (maybe the counter weight is off idk)?
How is your anti-skate set?

Edit: I looked up the turntable and I'm not sure you can adjust anti-skate.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 16, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://reddit.com/r/turntables/s/aqqLjBVCtE

This guy has the same problem (but never really fixed it). Check your tracking force. It might be too low so it doesn't stay in the locked groove.

You could also just get a really wide record weight that covers the label :v:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

thathonkey posted:

If you bought it new with all the accessories, it should have come with a tiny VTF gauge. Check out the bottom of page 5. You will need a small hex wrench to loosen the set screw on the counterweight.

For what it is worth, I ordered the older variant of this turntable almost 7 years ago and ran into the same issue. Mine didn't come with a vtf gauge, however, so I had to find an a/v store to get some help.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
thanks! i believe it did come with an analog vtf gauge. it's a little white plastic thing you rest on the platter and then lower the arm onto a specific point thats marked, adjusting the counterweight until it balances perfectly? does that sound like the right thing

edit: didnt see your link at first. cool!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Went thrift shopping this afternoon
no good record finds (there never are, are there)
but check out this CD stack for $3.88

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

god i wish i could find even half those albums on cd when thrifting, or even albums half as good

thrift stores are bereft of quality around here

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You know I was wondering how this one consistently has such good poo poo in it and then it clicked with me just now that it's down the street from CD Cellar so they probably give the poo poo they can't sell or direct people to it if they pass on something.

It's called Clock Tower (in Falls Church) for anyone in the area. Highly recommended, they also have a great book selection.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
J-Tull Dot Com is a seriously underrated album with an absolutely horrible cover and title.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Went thrift shopping this afternoon
no good record finds (there never are, are there)
but check out this CD stack for $3.88

Massive haul, grats

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this is only tangentially related, in that it's also dead media formats, but do we have a laserdisc thread anywhere?

it's really tempting to get into it for discs of videos and concerts that never properly made it to dvd

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Speaking of dead media, pre-sale for a rerelease of Gillian Welch’s The Harrow and the Harvest on reel to reel started yesterday. $700.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BigFactory posted:

Speaking of dead media, pre-sale for a rerelease of Gillian Welch’s The Harrow and the Harvest on reel to reel started yesterday. $700.

That’s $200 more than Elephant by the White Stripes.

I’m confused at who needs to spend this much on music. Like $100 for a reel release I could get. It’s extravagant, but it’s also super niche. But $500? That is just at the point where if you can afford to buy it, you have too much money.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

That’s $200 more than Elephant by the White Stripes.

I’m confused at who needs to spend this much on music. Like $100 for a reel release I could get. It’s extravagant, but it’s also super niche. But $500? That is just at the point where if you can afford to buy it, you have too much money.

It’s 2 reels, and hand transferred from 1/2” by Dave Rawlings. I bet they’re not making many. And I’m sure it will be worth a lot more than $700 the minute it’s released but it’s too much for me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

WHAT

Too much. but I love that record and am glad we got a vinyl pressing even so many years later.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

WHAT

Too much. but I love that record and am glad we got a vinyl pressing even so many years later.

You know it’s going to sound amazing

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

You know it’s going to sound amazing

Yeah i bet it sounds incredible. I dont even know anyone with a reel to reel that I could convince to make such an investment. Lucky SOB's whoever gets one.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

BigFactory posted:

It’s 2 reels, and hand transferred from 1/2” by Dave Rawlings. I bet they’re not making many. And I’m sure it will be worth a lot more than $700 the minute it’s released but it’s too much for me.

So the guy pushes record and that’s worth $700? It’s just audiophile nonsense - the same thing with the Electronic Recording Company.

If you’re willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a mono copy of the Doors’ debut because it’s an audiophile pressing, then you need to reconsider your financial decisions.

The Doors stands out to me especially since the mono version of the album has pretty rough sound quality with a ton of distortion baked into both the recording and the mix. And the mono tape is in pretty bad shape. So yeah, it’s all analog and tube cut, but it’s always going to be a low fidelity record anyway!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
What's the future equivalent of white hot stampers?

Yo did you get the limited digital release of Lil Martha n the Stewarts? 128 Kbps mp3s with each song saved as a different image. Apparently you can even hear the baby crying in the background of Soundcloud4eva like the artist originally intended. Absolutely worth $400.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

So the guy pushes record and that’s worth $700? It’s just audiophile nonsense - the same thing with the Electronic Recording Company.

If you’re willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a mono copy of the Doors’ debut because it’s an audiophile pressing, then you need to reconsider your financial decisions.

The Doors stands out to me especially since the mono version of the album has pretty rough sound quality with a ton of distortion baked into both the recording and the mix. And the mono tape is in pretty bad shape. So yeah, it’s all analog and tube cut, but it’s always going to be a low fidelity record anyway!

Ok, but this is a brilliant recording, not lovely, and it would be the equivalent (kinda) of Jim Morrison and Ray Manzerek being personally involved in producing the reels out of their home studio and autographing them before they ship them to you. It will be worth double or triple what someone pays the minute they get it. But it’s still a lot of money and I’m not doing it. But I wish I could. I’m sure it sold out in hours.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I took a chance and won these from shopgoodwill for $16 out the door. They turned out to be in excellent condition (except Nilsson which is fairly scuffed). I'm pretty happy.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

dorium posted:

Yeah i bet it sounds incredible. I dont even know anyone with a reel to reel that I could convince to make such an investment. Lucky SOB's whoever gets one.

Reel to reel is such a loving headache. I have a deck and analog mixing deck, it's fun to record on it, sound is cool, but gently caress it. The amount of things that go wrong and/or need repairs + costs make it a gently caress off format for me.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just walked into my Goodwill and there was an Original Master Recording Dark Side Of The Moon just sitting in front inside of the first record crate.

I did a double take so hard I think I broke my neck.

End up with 20 classic rock records out of 100+ in the crates, sadly most were missing the inner sleeve and completely trashed.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Real talk: How do we feel about taking out a used record in a store and inspecting it before purchase?

I feel like it's necessary, but I'm curious...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Real talk: How do we feel about taking out a used record in a store and inspecting it before purchase?

I wouldn't buy a used record without doing that. Good stores will have a player set up so you can test them too.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Nightmare Cinema posted:

It's absolutely necessary. Sometimes sellers will write the condition on the price label, or you'll have a shop that you trust to price a record according to it's condition, but I can't imagine not looking at the thing before purchasing it. Most shops also have listening stations set up, or did pre-covid.

I've only ever been in one record store that didn't allow it. I didn't buy anything. Online reviews of said shop are mostly people complaining about it, and the owner dutifully responding "gently caress YOU!" to each of them.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Pretzellogic posted:

I've only ever been in one record store that didn't allow it. I didn't buy anything. Online reviews of said shop are mostly people complaining about it, and the owner dutifully responding "gently caress YOU!" to each of them.

There's a place like this in Elmwood Park, NJ.

Just a consumer watch so local goons know to avoid this place like the plague.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I always do and if a shop has a policy against it you shouldn't be in that shop.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nightmare Cinema posted:

There's a place like this in Elmwood Park, NJ.

Just a consumer watch so local goons know to avoid this place like the plague.

drat that's some nice 2-3x mark-up on any given record
the stand out being that Herman's Hermits for $30
how on earth can a place stay in business at those prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

drat that's some nice 2-3x mark-up on any given record
the stand out being that Herman's Hermits for $30
how on earth can a place stay in business at those prices

unfortunately the people who are regulars are dumping CASH in there (or the store itself knows/has good hands for finding/acquiring large collections of records that will sell pretty well and fast) most likely. That and with the resurgence of the format ive seen some truly comical records being flipped for triple its usual asking price just because its in store.