Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

resistentialism posted:

nobody asked, but:

This morning, I got thinking about whether prolificate was a real word, and if it was, what the difference was between it and proliferate. (it is, and the latter is "to grow rapidly", the former is "to make prolific")

So if I was designing an unset, I'd make up a bunch of keywords that are near homophones for existing, real keywords, and use both the fakes and real ones thematically on cards in the set.
Like, skulk is there but so is sulk. First strike and furs strike. Flying and frying (the only L/R one, there's too many. Counter and counter (eg at a bar) and counter and counter (some new version of baron von count).
Mill and mull, and mall. Tap (poke the desk with your finger). Equip and quip. Chaste. Lie Fink. Wiggle Lands? These are all pretty bad but you get the idea.

And then in other language versions you'd try to get by with different homophones, with different mechanics. And the different language versions would all be mechanically different (un)legal cards, except you could still only have 4 of each of a card across all the versions of that card. Thus having no effect on limited, but entertaining and confounding kitchen players for years to come.

Why would you do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

resistentialism posted:

nobody asked, but:

please see your doctor

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Look, you got last strike. What more could you want

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

HootTheOwl posted:

Look, you got last strike. What more could you want

Triple strike.

Fake edit: oh, right, we have that, too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Timestrike.

Damage dealt by and to creatures with time strike is delayed (represented by counters) until a non-creature source of damage is dealt.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 17, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The one card or so per un-set where the joke is that it's very hard to understand is probably enough

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Even Firster Strike (this creature deals damage the turn before it attacks)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Actually wait that might already be an unset card lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

mandatory lesbian posted:

That's just bite etb

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

It's basically turbohaste.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Also, what they need to add is zeroth strike, which is just first strike, but if the other creature has first strike, the zeroth strike creature does damage first.

Why do it this way and not just have a blocks/is blocked trigger that removes first strike from opposing creatures? Simple: QUADRUPLE STRIKE

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ace strike which beats first strike but it's last strike elsewhere

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'
Damage-on-the-stack strike

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

resistentialism posted:

nobody asked, but:

This morning, I got thinking about whether prolificate was a real word, and if it was, what the difference was between it and proliferate. (it is, and the latter is "to grow rapidly", the former is "to make prolific")

So if I was designing an unset, I'd make up a bunch of keywords that are near homophones for existing, real keywords, and use both the fakes and real ones thematically on cards in the set.
Like, skulk is there but so is sulk. First strike and furs strike. Flying and frying (the only L/R one, there's too many. Counter and counter (eg at a bar) and counter and counter (some new version of baron von count).
Mill and mull, and mall. Tap (poke the desk with your finger). Equip and quip. Chaste. Lie Fink. Wiggle Lands? These are all pretty bad but you get the idea.

And then in other language versions you'd try to get by with different homophones, with different mechanics. And the different language versions would all be mechanically different (un)legal cards, except you could still only have 4 of each of a card across all the versions of that card. Thus having no effect on limited, but entertaining and confounding kitchen players for years to come.

The lesson we learned with gotcha is that even in an unset you should make sure the cards are like, fun to play. Making it impossible to read what's on a card at a glance is terrible if you try to use them to actually you know, play magic.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fist strike, it's like first strike but ignores attached equipment for the power

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Enchantment
You have first strike. (Your damage-dealing instants and sorceries deal their damage as you cast them instead of as they resolve.)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Actually wait that might already be an unset card lol

Rocket-Powered Turbo Slug?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

of all the TG threads, I believe this should be the first struck out

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'

kalel posted:

of all the TG threads, I believe this should be the first struck out

The commander thread too. Make it a double strike

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

blitzkreig.bmp posted:

The commander thread too. Make it a double strike

The eternal thread would hate this unset discussion. So last, strike that thread too.
A triple strike.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Suspend Strike X
(If this creature would deal damage, instead put the damage in exile with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your combat, remove one of those counters. When the last counter is removed, this creature deals the amount of damage to it's target. This happens even if this creature leaves the battlefield.)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

OneDeadman posted:

Suspend Strike X
(If this creature would deal damage, instead put the damage in exile with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your combat, remove one of those counters. When the last counter is removed, this creature deals the amount of damage to it's target. This happens even if this creature leaves the battlefield.)

Make it the beginning of any combat because that sounds funnier, but this is a much cleaner version of what I was trying to design.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Has standard been meaningfully changed with WOE included? It seems the answer is not really

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i really really hate WOE limited.

thats all

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Has standard been meaningfully changed with WOE included? It seems the answer is not really

There was a JP Open this weekend where the finals came down to a mono-white humans vs golgari midrange.

https://twitter.com/MTGArenaJP/status/1703347339988197765?s=20

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
My impression of the big changes: Pia Tokens has gotten a huge boost from Questing Druid giving you 12 Reckless Impulses, and the dimir lists that haven't swapped out everything-but-sheoldred for fairies have instead only swapped out HALF of everything but sheoldred for fairies.

Everything else mostly a little bit of tweaking, or more of a meme than a real deck.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i really really hate WOE limited.

thats all

it might be seriously one of the worst sets to draft, ever

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is it that bad?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my winrate is lower than average for this set, therefore I dislike it (not joking)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I don't know enough to label the set good or bad wrt limited, but I do know I did not intuit the set nearly as well as I have the last few sets thus and did not enjoy it, either. Too bad, because I like Eldraine and think adventures are a cool mechanic.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Standard feels very unsettled still, with a ton of different decks winning the different mini-tournaments. WOE has changed a lot more than I expected.

I really like this more token heavy build of Raffine that just won in Japan. https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=47835&d=552157&f=ST

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Justin_Brett posted:

Is it that bad?

not even close, it's not even in the bottom 5 of arena era draft formats. It's fine. Fast in that you need to onboard early, and you can get run over by aggro decks if you aren't building with them in mind, but you can easily play a longer game. The themes are just not really well supported for any color pair. Adventures, Bargain, Celebration are all good mechanics though

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i am admittedly running very bad in WOE but my problems with the format have been the color imbalance limiting the number of playable decks combined with the drafts feeling very linear since almost everything is a synergy piece that only belongs in at most two decks and often just one and the games feeling very high variance since it's so easy to draw the wrong half of your deck (ie princess takes flight and then bricking on your bargain cards) and then the games where everything does come together feeling really steamrolly. i dont think its an all time worst format or anything and the red aggro decks are fun to play but its definitely a let down after mom (and skipping lotr)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think it's a cool draft set, matches go really really long which is usually a bummer but these cards are fun so it's okay.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
the biggest knock against it I've got is that the bonus sheet is real bad. There's a few good ones but the vast majority are just straight up unplayable

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kashuno posted:

the biggest knock against it I've got is that the bonus sheet is real bad. There's a few good ones but the vast majority are just straight up unplayable

Ya I agree, probably the weakest sheet for limited they’ve done.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Kashuno posted:

They should just put Stab Wound in every bonus sheet and/or set because it's so fun.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

it might be seriously one of the worst sets to draft, ever

It’s not as good as several of the all time great sets they have put out for limited in the last 3 years but it’s actually a good limited format relative to most of magics history. And I would say even in the context of all of the very good sets they have put out recently, it’s still middle of the pack. I think some people are having trouble figuring it out, but that’s a different thing entirely. All 5 colors are playable at least. People think blue is worse than it is

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I’m having a blast in the format and have pulled out some wild wins cause folks are bad about playing around tricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This has me thinking, when they revisit ikoria it will probably be the "mystical archives but for creatures" set. So what creatures do people want to see return in that bonus sheet?