Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Will the vanilla 15’s camera take photos that are better than, or at least comparable to, my 13 Pro? I’m tired of her asking for my phone all the time to take pictures :saddowns:

The biggest quality advantage of the pros is the extra lens. The actual file quality is roughly similar between the vanilla 15 and any other pro iPhone, but if she likes to zoom in a lot it's gonna look like dung compared to the pro.

I really wish the vanilla phones had just a wide angle and a telephoto but I guess they gotta have something extra for the pro phones. So vanillas get a wide lens and a ludicrously wide lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Comparing the stats of the 15 non-pro to the 13 pro's camera, I think the only area you'll see obvious improvement without zooming in and scrutinizing the pixels is night mode. Megapixels are kind of meaningless with sensors this small. Videos probably look marginally smoother and a few other very minor upgrades that most people probably won't notice without a side-by-side comparison of both phones taking the same images.

Does anyone know when stores typically put out the new iPhone display models? I kind of want to play with it in person before deciding if it's really worth upgrading from 13 Pro.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like the iPhone 15 Pro's 5G modem got an upgrade

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Rolo posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09CG8P8X5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I got the Anker one and so far recommend it. Charges my phone, watch and pods through magnet magic. The belkin one charges faster and doesn’t use old USB A charging for the watch but it’s pretty spicy on the wallet.

As someone with only a phone and AirPods, I desperately want a version of this with only the left side.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

dexter6 posted:

As someone with only a phone and AirPods, I desperately want a version of this with only the left side.

That exists, I have one on my desk.

https://a.co/d/cCZC07R

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

Thank you!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

All those multi chargers include a place for the AirPods and I just don’t charge mine that often. Maybe once a week? Compared to phone and watch which I do every night.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

What are the current best options for loading emulator ipks without jail breaking? Alt store seems ok but the signing thing might be a dealbreaker if I’m taking it on long trips. Web versions need internet and I would mostly use it during periods with no internet. Any other options I’m missing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Virtue posted:

What are the current best options for loading emulator ipks without jail breaking? Alt store seems ok but the signing thing might be a dealbreaker if I’m taking it on long trips. Web versions need internet and I would mostly use it during periods with no internet. Any other options I’m missing?

Afaik you can roll your own if you sign up for a $100 dev account :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

smackfu posted:

All those multi chargers include a place for the AirPods and I just don’t charge mine that often. Maybe once a week? Compared to phone and watch which I do every night.

My Airpods are still Lightning, so I bought one of those dual chargers (I don't have a watch) or I'd still need to keep a Lightning cable.

I was also still using a 1st gen Pixel Stand which isn't really capable of holding an iPhone Pro horizontal very well so it was time to upgrade anyway.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Virtue posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Afaik you can roll your own if you sign up for a $100 dev account :shrug:

You don't need a paid account, just a mac with xcode, and you will have to push the app to the phone again after a week. I've never used this for emulators but there's no reason it shouldn't work if you can find a github project that'll compile on current iOS versions

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Clark Nova posted:

You don't need a paid account, just a mac with xcode, and you will have to push the app to the phone again after a week. I've never used this for emulators but there's no reason it shouldn't work if you can find a github project that'll compile on current iOS versions

Yeah but the op said this would be a dealbreaker on long trips.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just get a Retroid or something imo.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Thanks all, this is looking like a bigger headache than it's probably worth. Those handheld emulators look pretty cool, maybe I'll go that route if the altstore isn't sufficient.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Virtue posted:

Thanks all, this is looking like a bigger headache than it's probably worth. Those handheld emulators look pretty cool, maybe I'll go that route if the altstore isn't sufficient.

The Anbernic hardware is really good.. if you like to tinker. Basically everyone throws away the SD card that comes with it and puts ArkOS on one from a reputable vendor. It's not terribly hard to do but if words like Linux scare you maybe it's not a good fit.

But if you do, the hardware is great. The one with the DMG game boy form factor sits so well in the hands.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChaosArgate posted:

Can you charge a watch on that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

~Coxy posted:

She's going to have to create separate Apple IDs for her kids (and add them to her family - not strictly required but she might as well do it) at some point anyway,

I don’t disagree, but it’s still pretty annoying and disruptive versus “…maybe tomorrow”.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Shredder posted:

My friend has an iphone and wants to take dirty pictures. I found the hidden album, but it's my understanding that this syncs with iCloud, and she has other devices on her account that her children use, so I assume these will sync up with all her devices.

What's the best way to go about just keeping photos/videos locally but hidden and requiring a password?

Get a point-and-shoot digital and use that instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Can you charge a watch on that?

Probably technically, but the Airpod part has no magnet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Virtue posted:

You should look at the thread we have for them as well. Op's a bit out of date but the current hotness devices are the Retroid Pocket 2S and 3+, Anbernic 405 family and Powkiddy X55 and RGB30.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 17, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

You should look at the thread we have for them as well. Op's a bit out of date but the current hotness devices are the Retroid Pocket 2S and 3+, Anbernic 405 family and Powkiddy X55 and RGB30.

The OP has a very minor update in the form of a paragraph at the beginning.

I really should update the whole thing but holy cow these things move up a generation like every few months.

That said, I’m a sucker for Retroid. The 3+ and 2S are my favorite handhelds, the latter barely squeaking out ahead because I hate how much screen real estate I waste on a 16:9 retro console.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have an Anbernic RG35XX which runs everything up to some PlayStation games no sweat. Installing GarlicOS was easy, just follow a guide, works great.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I sleep in a big bed with my wife. Where we play our Nintendo ("Wintendo") Switches. HTH, OP.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Chemmy posted:

I have an Anbernic RG35XX which runs everything up to some PlayStation games no sweat. Installing GarlicOS was easy, just follow a guide, works great.

The latest one's being shipped even include GarlicOS installed with it. Pretty amazing little package for under $50. I kinda wish it had wifi/bluetooth, but there has to be some tradeoffs.

It also includes thousands of old ROMs already loaded on it.

Edit: You can purchase the latest RG35XX with GarlicOS/ROMs here

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 17, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Corb3t posted:

The latest one's being shipped even include GarlicOS installed with it. Pretty amazing little package for under $50. I kinda wish it had wifi/bluetooth, but there has to be some tradeoffs.

It also includes a thousands of old ROMs already loaded on it.

Linus tech tips YouTube channel has done a couple videos with the Chinese emulator devices being pumped out. They can give you a good amount of fun for the dollar value it seems. Lots of totally random hacked up ROMs where likely none of the developers were compensated but what can you do.

Network capabilities are I have heard ill-advised for these types of devices lest you enjoy botnets or corporate espionage.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New USB-C AirPods $50 off before they’re even released lol

https://slickdeals.net/f/16928203-apple-airpods-pro-2nd-generation-with-magsafe-case-usb-c-white-mtjv3am-a-199-99

e: they’re giving me $40 off for trading in my current pros that are crackly and have a poo poo battery. Nice.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 17, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New USB-C AirPods $50 off before they’re even released lol

https://slickdeals.net/f/16928203-apple-airpods-pro-2nd-generation-with-magsafe-case-usb-c-white-mtjv3am-a-199-99

e: they’re giving me $40 off for trading in my current pros that are crackly and have a poo poo battery. Nice.
There’s no option to trade in my APP1 that can wireless charge but don’t have MagSafe 😭

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 17 comes out for everybody tomorrow. I'll update the OP after it comes out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can install it now by turning on beta, installing it and turning beta off again. I went on and did it figuring there’d be a bigger rush tomorrow.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Josh Lyman posted:

There’s no option to trade in my APP1 that can wireless charge but don’t have MagSafe 😭

Their trade in is a joke. I have practically brand new gen 2’s and they want to give me 40 bucks for them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rolo posted:

Their trade in is a joke. I have practically brand new gen 2’s and they want to give me 40 bucks for them.

My batteries last 3 hours and one of them is crackly whenever I move the slightest. I’ll gladly take $40.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I'm strongly considering trading in my 2017 airpod gen 2 for $15. I think 6 years is a good run.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone have any experience with the Apple silicone cases? I ordered one for my 15 pro, but some people say they aren't very durable. I'll guess i'll see what it's like, but am considering a case from Peak Design or Nomad.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’m getting a leather case from Nomad- I have a titanium watch band from them that I really like and I figured maybe they make a good leather case too?

The silicone cases kinda get loose over time, or they did when I tried them a while back

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

frogbs posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Apple silicone cases? I ordered one for my 15 pro, but some people say they aren't very durable. I'll guess i'll see what it's like, but am considering a case from Peak Design or Nomad.

I've used them a bit, they're just as durable as any other case. If you bang it on stuff or drop it, it's gonna get nicks but that's what a case is for. The first one I had on my XS for like four years and some edges were starting to wear down to the inner plastic. My current one is a year old and is almost brand new except for a gouge on one edge where I banged it on something. It will look newer for longer than a leather case if that's you're benchmark.

The only thing to keep in mind is the feel.. it's rubbery and that means it's gonna cling to fabric in your pocket. But it feels real good in the hand.. feels nice and secure. But if it's hot out and you're the type that puts the phone in their pocket every 30 seconds it can get annoying.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dogen posted:

You can install it now by turning on beta, installing it and turning beta off again. I went on and did it figuring there’d be a bigger rush tomorrow.

So if it’s already installed on my two iOS devices, I can opt out of the program and be back on the same path with everyone else?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

It works but doesn’t look as classy and tends to start curling up at the edges. LightDims are a pro choice

Gaffer tape is the one to use. Electrical tape outside of its intended design use sucks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

frogbs posted:

For me the silicone always wears away on the corners and then starts coming off in chunks. Apple will replace them if they’re less than a year old but it gets tiresome.

I’m hoping the new fine woven cases hold up.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
If it’s anything like the old google pixel fabric cases they’ll feel great but eventually just kind of pick up grime and sweat from your hands and be quite hard to clean properly.

In other news I’ve been eyeing up the 15 pro and expecting it to be bigger and heavier than my XR, but I’m happy to see that it’s actually marginally smaller and lighter.

lol somehow the Pro Max is only 1cm taller than this, and basically identical in dimensions otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Lot of XR owners (well, 2) alongside me itt. Gonna be a long wait till Friday.