Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

RandomBlue posted:

The first time that happened to me it was all dramaticized and poo poo and it was a loving ham sandwich with a bite already taken out of it.

Barrett gave me that salami after he told me about his gay widow status and it made me laugh so god hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

RandomBlue posted:

The first time that happened to me it was all dramaticized and poo poo and it was a loving ham sandwich with a bite already taken out of it.

speaking of which is there a whole uneaten sandwich item

I started playing the star game and thought "oh I like playing hardcore in Fallout, I'll set the difficulty to Very Hard". got past the initial ship flying encounter, but now I'm on the Kreel? moon, I have no bullets for any of my weapons, it seems like it's very hard to navigate to objectives without fast travel because there's no real local map, just some vague direction and distance markers, and I have no idea how I can attack anyone even if I set the difficulty back to Very Easy. vasco kinda runs in and dies. I also found the terrormorph by accident

do I have to play with UI mods to make this workable?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Risutora posted:

duh, thats in english. but yeah what i actually meant was that finnish doesnt have gendered pronouns

The two genders: finnish and not-finnish.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

corona familiar posted:

speaking of which is there a whole uneaten sandwich item

I started playing the star game and thought "oh I like playing hardcore in Fallout, I'll set the difficulty to Very Hard". got past the initial ship flying encounter, but now I'm on the Kreel? moon, I have no bullets for any of my weapons, it seems like it's close to impossible to navigate to objectives without fast travel because there's no real local map, and I have no idea how I can attack anyone even if I set the difficulty back to Very Easy. vasco kinda runs in and dies. I also found the terrormorph by accident

do I have to play with UI mods to make this workable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6EDod0DFs

yeah the lack of map is silly. i think you're supposed to navigate by popping the scanner on. it shows various waypoints and pois and stuff. you can fast travel from it which i guess is handy for not having to pull up a menu? you can also fast travel around without ever opening up menus while in the ship it's just really loving weird and the game doesnt really explain how to do it. if you google around for it you'll find someone giving a run down if you want to do that.

there should be objective markers. you can turn on a constant one in interface settings. also if you use the scanner it'll show a little trail on the ground. you'll get more bullets soon but uh, I mostly used the cutter and lots of those explosive tanks to murder everyone. and melee. but seriously picking up and throwing those tanks then blowing them up does work, especially on very hard.

vasco cant ever die. in fact he kept running ahead and rambo ksing me (on very hard even) so I took his ammo away. and i think he's actually stronger with his melee?

there are some neat UI mods but also they have/will have bugs. like starui is nice but it sounds like it still has some deal breakers. there aren't really any mods that totally unfuck things. really you can get most of the info you need from the defualt ai, the way to get it is just sort of hidden. also the keybinds/process to do poo poo is extremely inconsistent. it's pretty weird

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:swoon:

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah the lack of map is silly. i think you're supposed to navigate by popping the scanner on. it shows various waypoints and pois and stuff. you can fast travel from it which i guess is handy for not having to pull up a menu? you can also fast travel around without ever opening up menus while in the ship it's just really loving weird and the game doesnt really explain how to do it. if you google around for it you'll find someone giving a run down if you want to do that.

there should be objective markers. you can turn on a constant one in interface settings. also if you use the scanner it'll show a little trail on the ground. you'll get more bullets soon but uh, I mostly used the cutter and lots of those explosive tanks to murder everyone. and melee. but seriously picking up and throwing those tanks then blowing them up does work, especially on very hard.

vasco cant ever die. in fact he kept running ahead and rambo ksing me (on very hard even) so I took his ammo away. and i think he's actually stronger with his melee?

there are some neat UI mods but also they have/will have bugs. like starui is nice but it sounds like it still has some deal breakers. there aren't really any mods that totally unfuck things. really you can get most of the info you need from the defualt ai, the way to get it is just sort of hidden. also the keybinds/process to do poo poo is extremely inconsistent. it's pretty weird

thanks for the tips! yeah i haven't look anything up yet and i don't think the scanner was ever actually explained to me so I don't even think I've opened it yet. maybe I missed it, maybe the game was like "oh they're playing on Very Hard they know what they're doing" :shrug: sounds like the tutorial is really uneven from reading posts here

i want to try playing without perma objective markers so I'll give the scanner a shot

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

quote is not edit

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

corona familiar posted:

:swoon:

yeah i haven't look anything up yet and i don't think the scanner was ever actually explained to me so I don't even think I've opened it yet. maybe I missed it, maybe the game was like "oh they're playing on Very Hard they know what they're doing" :shrug: sounds like the tutorial is really uneven from reading posts here

i want to try playing without perma objective markers so I'll give the scanner a shot

the scanner always shows that little train on the ground to the next target. the objective markers seemed almost less obtrusive. at least for that quest.

i think the difficulties are only changing damage done/taken and the spawn (or also drop chance) of legendary baddies and/or items. very hard is 0.5x damage done, 2x damage taken. but yeah the amoutn of explosive throwable barrels in that quest is very high. also unless you find a good weapon right away the guns you'd have do very little damage on normal or very hard, so you'd still want to use the explosives. or a cutter + melee.

the way guns work and roll stuff the difference between a good one you can find right away and a normal one is huge. i savescummed a bit just to see what poo poo a guy dropped and ended up one time getting a legendary shotgun rifle that did 10 damage per shot, fired 5 shots at once (for one ammo), had a 50 round magazine, and a fire rate of 50. the next best weapon i saw at that point (level 2) was the 10 damage, 12 round pistol. so the ground game is kind of just try and survive until you get one of the extremely strong gun rolls that are possible and then you get to terrorize everyone no matter the difficulty.

space is... a different story

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

it is legit baffling how bad the UI and particularly UI navigation is for a game in 2023

starui has helped like 300%, i cant imagine playing without it, but even then it's really bad. the outpost building UI is so frustratingly bad too. come on, even the Satisfactory guys solved it, it aint hard to copy something that works

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

doing well, decided to go for the full story again this route. only this time i won't keep my Starborn s tatus secret the whole time., im gonna reveal it at the PerfectMoment

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

What YouTuber is a good one to learn Vicky3?

you should dive straight in because a big part of the fun of any paradox game is figuring out how to play effectively, if you skip to being semi-proficient by just watching some other dude play for 100 hours you're draining away part of the experience of the game

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Xaris posted:

it is legit baffling how bad the UI and particularly UI navigation is for a game in 2023

the really baffling thing is that sometimes it's actually pretty good? but then it's bad again. i dont know what happened with ui/ux but im guessing they went through a few leads or teams or just... i dunno. it wouldnt be weird if it was 100% bad. it's the fact that there's some good stuff in there.

it's kind of like the graphics. the game can be very pretty but the color grading in many areas fucks it all up. same with the volumetric lighting

i really do not understand why someone thought the game needed the green, blown the gently caress out contrast foggy look but it's kind of how i feel a lot of things in the game are. pretty sure todd personally made all the hosed up choices because he's a devil

left in both is vanilla color grading (top) and spatial volumetric filtering (bottom). that's specific to some indoor areas. don't gently caress with the outdoor volumetrics. it's like they saw alien and didnt understand why the fog in it was cool

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
one of the minor but kinda annoying things is you can't seem to eat food directly off the ground which iirc existed in pretty much every previous bethesda game?

you have to pick it up, then open the UI, then go into Aid, then select eat. i 'd be drinking wine bottles and beers all over the place if i could just eat directly without picking them up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

one of the minor but kinda annoying things is you can't seem to eat food directly off the ground which iirc existed in pretty much every previous bethesda game?

you have to pick it up, then open the UI, then go into Aid, then select eat. i 'd be drinking wine bottles and beers all over the place if i could just eat directly without picking them up.

You shouldn't eat food right off the ground it's unsanitary

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Xaris posted:

lol yeah. buit you can equip stuff off the ground. they said they were gonna patch it. bizarre though right? having to eat everything from the inventory (where meds and food are comingled) is uh... well i just don't eat food. gently caress it not worth the menus. which is a good thing. chugging cheese wheels in skyrim... meh

you should still pick up every food for use in physics experiments though

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

they should rename the Aid category

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Going through the drinks cabinet of a luxury space yacht like Stone Cold Steve Austin in preparation for the showdown with the pirate boss

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

having to manually eat food is stupid. your character should start automatically chowing down on some meat cubes while youre sprinting across the planet surface

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

KirbyKhan posted:

Sometimes when I'm exploring the galaxy my explorer buddy Barrett says "I got something for you" then I turn around and he is already directly in my face. I open dialog with him and he hands me a salami and I say "Thanks!"

It is so loving stupid I love it.

https://youtu.be/PqC64HskLDY?si=tqxpi-npWCdlhuxn

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

having to manually eat food is stupid. your character should start automatically chowing down on some meat cubes while youre sprinting across the planet surface

hands-free meat snorkel

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

can anyone explain to me how games that were coded/released for single player get modded for multiplayer..

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
its funny how many ways andreja is the superior campanion. she whines less about morals, she's a thief so she gives you credits instead of sandwiches, she immediately turns invisible when you go into stealth.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Lpzie posted:

can anyone explain to me how games that were coded/released for single player get modded for multiplayer..

cyberthaumaturgy

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

it's one of the last mysteries in my world view. I understand everything else

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

pink noise posted:

its funny how many ways andreja is the superior campanion. she whines less about morals, she's a thief so she gives you credits instead of sandwiches, she immediately turns invisible when you go into stealth.

yeah but she whiffs on the neon blend side quest when she wants you not to kill the ex-employee snitch whatever. so I tried to tell him to leave town. but he was giving all the signs of "leaving town" aka not leaving and being a pain in the rear end so I killed him as he was leaving the building, no witnesses, but andreja got hella mad and snitched, ended up with a 500k+ bounty

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Lpzie posted:

multiplayer is just multiple single players. if you think abotu it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lpzie posted:

yeah but she whiffs on the neon blend side quest when she wants you not to kill the ex-employee snitch whatever. so I tried to tell him to leave town. but he was giving all the signs of "leaving town" aka not leaving and being a pain in the rear end so I killed him as he was leaving the building, no witnesses, but andreja got hella mad and snitched, ended up with a 500k+ bounty

turn yourself in for half a mil

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

Lpzie posted:

she got really mad at me for saying i would go through the unity but lmao at calling the cops

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lpzie posted:

usually an insane person with a dream. or a few. i think TES3MP (morrowind multiplayer) you can just go poke around the source https://github.com/TES3MP/TES3MP. but uh, usually they just... make a whole rear end networking thing and frankenstein it into the game (or in this case the recreation whatever blah blah)

usually magic i guess. kinda crazy to ve rimworld and morrowind and some other poo poo with multiplayer. truly the future

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's crazy that we could all go meet up in the south wall corner club in balmora on a morrowind server if we wanted to

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lies of p is pretty great so far - probably the best soulslike from a non-from studio so far.
they do it by ripping off bloodborne down to stuff like NPCs talking to you from a window.

performance is straight up better than a from game - HDR/DLSS/ultra wide support and is locked at the capped frame rate.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I found a good quality drumbeat and gave it explosive rounds. Insanely fun when I am hopped up on amp and running and gunning.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

picked up sifu again because of the final free update a couple weeks ago. god this game loving rules

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've been replaying the RE2 remake to refresh myself on this version of Leon before I play the RE4 remake. Still godlike, second only to the RE1 remake in its perfection.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lpzie posted:

if it's a Unity (and maybe even UE) engine game, there's entirely stock network dll library thingys you can plug into the code that work to share memory states/etc.

there might have even been framework for MP that never got finished that makes it easier. generally though most modded MP is pretty hacky and usually doesn't work. i can't think of many that do it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've been replaying the RE2 remake to refresh myself on this version of Leon before I play the RE4 remake. Still godlike, second only to the RE1 remake in its perfection.

i liked re4make more than re2make, if only because RE4 is GOAT. both excellent but RE2make can be a bit too stressful whereas in RE4make you're basically unstoppable doom-marine even on the hardest, which i like more than knee-capping and running away to conserve ammo. re2make isn't particularly hard if you just knee cap+run, but i dont find that play style particularly fun?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

shrike82 posted:

lies of p is pretty great so far - probably the best soulslike from a non-from studio so far.
they do it by ripping off bloodborne down to stuff like NPCs talking to you from a window.

performance is straight up better than a from game - HDR/DLSS/ultra wide support and is locked at the capped frame rate.
nice. im lookin' forward to it when it hits GP in a day or so.

gotta re-up my GP sub though

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

World War Mammories posted:

picked up sifu again because of the final free update a couple weeks ago. god this game loving rules

its so good

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cuttlefush posted:

it's crazy that we could all go meet up in the south wall corner club in balmora on a morrowind server if we wanted to

can you create books made of long form quotes from other books

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Monster Hunter Go... to the polls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted: