Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm a bit confused by the last panel, and maybe it's just cus I've been reading to fast or something; was the reveal at the end that Stain was in the armor, or is it just the art being a bit stylized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Anyway, I'm critical of the way MHA has kind of sanded off any edge to its cast, but I do think it's interesting that Mt. Lady was explicitly just in it for the money and fame at the start but she's one of the people who stuck around for the final conflict.

Yeah, I find it weird that the start suggests that heroes are basically just celebrities in it for the clout, but then pretty much all of them are extremely ride or die to a self-sacrificial degree or quit because of intense backlash against them that would understandably be hard to deal with while you're already risking your life in dangerous situations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Neito posted:

I'm a bit confused by the last panel, and maybe it's just cus I've been reading to fast or something; was the reveal at the end that Stain was in the armor, or is it just the art being a bit stylized?

No, Stain is riding on a Goblin Glider above the fight. He licked some of AfO's blood off a rock to freeze him.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, has there been any further update on the Vigilantes anime that was announced a little while back?
That was fake.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

That was fake.

It was? drat it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, I find it weird that the start suggests that heroes are basically just celebrities in it for the clout, but then pretty much all of them are extremely ride or die to a self-sacrificial degree or quit because of intense backlash against them that would understandably be hard to deal with while you're already risking your life in dangerous situations.

I mean, for Mt. Lady specifically, she's had a whole arc going on in the background from "in it for the money, rivals with Kamui Woods" to "one of the greatest heroes in Japan, she and Kamui Woods might be an item."

One of the things with the criticism of hero society is that Deku has been making a real difference. Deku has helped inspire people to be real heroes, who've improved others in turn, with even flawed heroes being able to turn things around. Endeavor and Bakugo are probably the most prominent, with Nagant as the most blatant, but the climax of the stain fight wasn't Deku proving he was a real hero, but Shoto showing that someone who, until recently, was motivated primarily by spite, could turn things around to be a "real" hero like Deku or Allmight.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ryaomon posted:

That was fake.

Well that sucks.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Well that sucks.

I blame Hero Society.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While All Might definitely has a heroic personality, I feel like, in many ways, he had it better than other heroes. I imagine that like 99% of his confrontations were effortlessly won due to his overwhelming power. Only the absolute top-tier villains would stand a chance of hurting him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ytlaya posted:

While All Might definitely has a heroic personality, I feel like, in many ways, he had it better than other heroes. I imagine that like 99% of his confrontations were effortlessly won due to his overwhelming power. Only the absolute top-tier villains would stand a chance of hurting him.

He, personally, was a nigh-invincible demigod, but he also was dealing with fighting uphill into a society that was supposedly basically completely corrupted and controlled by villains from the shadows, rather than present day heroes who mostly have society on their side while villains are a reviled minority. It's why he basically had to sacrifice his entire life to his role, because he had to singlehandedly go from "nobody" to "internationally recognized symbol of invincible heroism".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

All Might's power and willingness to use that power might have been the key but there's no way he could have done all that poo poo himself. At the absolute minimum he needed people to help him find targets and to roll up the small fry after he turned a boss or lieutenant into criminal sauce.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

We also know that Lady Nagant was snipping a bunch of situations in the bud to maintain the illusion of All Might being a perfect symbol of peace. So it's unlikely he ever had to deal with many uncomfortable or morally grey situations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MHAOfficial/status/1703786213457490094?s=20

They're premiering what I'm assuming is the recap episode of season 6 at NYCC

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So how much is this season going to cover? Because the manga is, uhh, not done yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This arc has been so goddamn long I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't finish this arc. Hell, it might be split cour or something.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Cue the Attack on Titan season jokes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/MHAOfficial/status/1703786213457490094?s=20

They're premiering what I'm assuming is the recap episode of season 6 at NYCC

I think it's just an OVA thing. They're referring to it as "A season 6 original episode", as in, as episode of the season that already happened. Might be advertising for the movie or some lovely card game. Who knows.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"UA Heroes Battle" is the most Mobile Card Game title I have ever heard

...wait, wasn't there a mobile game trailer that fooled people into thinking it wouldn't be mobile a while back?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Vinylshadow posted:

...wait, wasn't there a mobile game trailer that fooled people into thinking it wouldn't be mobile a while back?

It uses assets from the One's Justice game. Too bad they went way too hard on the power creep and had some of the worst deals I've seen in the genre of mobile gaming, I enjoyed it well enough for a gacha.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Julias posted:

I think it's just an OVA thing. They're referring to it as "A season 6 original episode", as in, as episode of the season that already happened. Might be advertising for the movie or some lovely card game. Who knows.

Oh right, the last season was 6.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Technically this means The Crawler is responsible for saving the world.

:haibrow:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also, I never said Stain was right, he has a bit of a point, in the worst scenario a lot of the "heroes" proved to not be actually heroic. But that doesn't negate him being an absolute crazy monster whose ideology harms actual heroes (Iida's older brother is as heroic as they come according to all accounts but doesn't meet Stain's impossible standards).

Stain's statement speaks to people in universe because they do think that some heroes aren't really living up to the title/example All Might sets (and All Might explicitly has merchandise, making money for doing hero work is never treated as the problem). It's just that hero society produces people like Endeavour, and Hawks, who aren't "heroes" but get protected by the system until it collapses or they're independently forced to improve/change.

Nagant is another example of this, and probably the main point is that Stain has failed to realise the issue isn't the heroes, but the Hero Association (that turned Nagant and Hawks into assassins to keep their society exactly how they want it) and All for One (who is literally described as the secret ruler of Japan until All Might pototo-faced him, and who has likely shaped Hero Society into exactly the sort of world that lets him act how he wants).

Basically, All for One is metaphorically the rot at the heart of Hero Society, a man who has festered and grown and abused for decades because he refuses to let anyone but himself have any real power. Shigaraki is the result, someone abandoned and forgotten to the harsh reality of the world because of one thing going wrong who turned that lack of support into a reason to destroy the world (as encouraged/shaped by the monster who rots society All for One).

Edit: Heck, the "impossible standards/ideals" thing even came back with the civilians getting extremely angry at the Heroes who did still try to fight Villains for not protecting them well enough, or the non-Hero Students at the School Festival resenting the Hero Students for being targetted by villains for their attempts to be heroic.

So I'm only an anime watcher but this is the right take, IMO. It's not about money or commercialization, its' about "what makes a Hero." That is absolutely a huge theme in the series from all I've seen. I don't think it's any coincidence we got all of Endeavor's sordid history right before Stain is on the scene, and then Endeavor actually "confronts" Stain, only to be shouted down as a "False Hero."

When All Might finds Deku and Bakugo fighting, he puts it into plain words. Is a Hero someone like Deku who would destroy himself for others and who never really gives any regard to his own well-being? Or is it someone like (early) Bakugo or the extreme example of Endeavor who only thought of himself and his own advancement? All Might is seen as both these things, Izuku taking All Might's dedication to others as his inspiration while Bakugo was inspired by All Might's never losing and always being the strongest.

I guess a very rough comparison would be to try and illustrate my interpretation is Endeavor is to Bakugo as Stain could be to Izuku. Taking one's ideals of heroism to a fanatical extent. Stain would not understand how Uraraka's motives are actually quite noble like Izuku did but the idea is still there of how a Hero is someone who lives solely for others and gives no thought to anything as "petty" as money. I think that is what people in and out of universe find appealing about Stain - a devotion to an idea which, in broad outline, is admirable, but he takes it to a ludicrous extent.

There's still obviously more to admire there than with someone like Shigaraki or All for One, of course. That also helps Stain's reputation, I'd imagine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

He, personally, was a nigh-invincible demigod, but he also was dealing with fighting uphill into a society that was supposedly basically completely corrupted and controlled by villains from the shadows, rather than present day heroes who mostly have society on their side while villains are a reviled minority. It's why he basically had to sacrifice his entire life to his role, because he had to singlehandedly go from "nobody" to "internationally recognized symbol of invincible heroism".

He was/is heroic and hard-working for sure, but I feel like it's more impressive when some guy with a less-strong power tries his hardest. Like the bicycle guy in One Punch Man.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ytlaya posted:

He was/is heroic and hard-working for sure, but I feel like it's more impressive when some guy with a less-strong power tries his hardest. Like the bicycle guy in One Punch Man.
I think All Might himself brings this up how that poo poo is inspiring but you know what else you need to do? Win.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's equally impressive really. All Might was dealing with something that generally would have been impossible for another person of equal power who didn't also have both his will and vision. Even the shadowy undersides of hero society (e.g., Nagant) were still inspired by his efforts in the end.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nessus posted:

I think All Might himself brings this up how that poo poo is inspiring but you know what else you need to do? Win.

All Might's first conversation with Izuku is literally "you have a big heart but you will loving die if you fight anyone with actual powers."

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Funky Valentine posted:

All Might's first conversation with Izuku is literally "you have a big heart but you will loving die if you fight anyone with actual powers."
Honestly the most disappointing thing is when Midori went from a superhero nerd to super spider-man who didn't have to consider tactics because he was buffed too fast before the final battle. Meanwhile we've got a quirkless All Might basically doing exactly what Midori used to with his ironman suit

Maybe after All Might kicks the bucket he'll tell Midori to stop relying on his powers and rely on the brain that got him to where he was as a feeble, quirkless child.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
For one, his brain didn't get him anywhere. He was literally picked for his "heart without brains" approach. Half the point of the fight with Gentle was to get a win via a smart approach for a change.
For second, All Might is doing something only possible having amassed wealth, experience and connections and is burning through those resources in an incredibly short period and is being death flagged to hell and back (again).
For third, Deku never stopped beating a technical fighter what are you on about. I know it's been a long time but his last fight was literally a showcase in how to effectively use the wealth of abilities he was granted. If anything he's more technical now that he doesn't have to rely on exploding his bones just to get an edge.
For fourth, Spider-man is also a technical fighter so that's a really poor comparison.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 20, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've seen this strange criticism for a few years now about how people wanted some Izuku who never existed. It's not Spidey they compare him to but Batman - a normal human who gets by via wits and tech. But like...that was never his character at all so if you wanted something else, why are you even still here?

But while these people seem to find the izuku Midoriya who actually exists "generic" I love him because he's such a breath of fresh air. I've been watching all the big shounen fighters for 20 years now, since DBZ was on top of the world. One thing that has rankled me for the longest time was how so many protagonists are supposed to be these idiots who are charmingly eccentric. Goku, Luffy, Natsu, they're pretty much all defined by this kind of...simple-mindedness that we're supposed to find endearing but I just find tiring. Naruto has some of this too, especially in Part 1. Ichigo seemed like he was gonna break from the trend and be a smart cookie. Remember when Uryu was introduced and we had the big moment with Ichigo's test scores where he establishes he gets enough poo poo as is so he makes sure to study? Only, of course, this was just to make Uryu his rival and Uryu is only a rival for five seconds so all that school stuff and being kinda smart was quickly forgotten. JJK is kind of a big new shounen on the scene and we return yet again to dopey nice guy hero.

But Izuku? He's defined from the beginning by being a frickin' nerd. He loves to read, he loves to study, he loves to take notes and think things through. I absolutely loved this. I also loved his being unafraid to cry. He isn't a crybaby like some haters say but, yeah, he turned on the waterworks pretty quick in those early bits. So we got a big nerdy kid who isn't afraid to shed some tears. I felt more immediate kinship with Deku than I ever did for any of the main characters I just mentioned. And I still do.

I have no idea when MHA is ending. People were telling me it was over like last year and we're almost done with 2023 and it's still going. But I hope that MHA has a positive influence on shounen going forward. That we see more Izuku's and less Goku's. Surely it's acclaimed and popular enough series to have imitators.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I have no idea when MHA is ending. People were telling me it was over like last year and we're almost done with 2023 and it's still going. But I hope that MHA has a positive influence on shounen going forward. That we see more Izuku's and less Goku's. Surely it's acclaimed and popular enough series to have imitators.

I think Tanjiro is from Izuku's lineage far more than Goku's or Luffy's, so we've seen significant impact already, and given how Demon Slayer is one of the best selling manga of all time, I'm pretty sure Deku's character type is going to keep showing up for quite a while.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the power of softboy shonen

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

deku has always been store brand gon to me. or well. the arc horikoshi has done with deku felt like that

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

studio mujahideen posted:

deku has always been store brand gon to me

Gon manages to have more complex emotions in a given arc.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 20, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

studio mujahideen posted:

deku has always been store brand gon to me. or well. the arc horikoshi has done with deku felt like that

HxH is a big one I've missed, mainly because I've been told forever it will never be finished and after ASOIAF, I try to avoid getting invested in storis that will never have a satisfying resolution.

Still, Yusuke in YYH is my other favorite shounen MC besides Deku. I'm not a delinquent from a broken home (shock of shocks) but Yusuke is still extremely relatable, well-written, and down-to-earth in a way I find so rare in these stories. Maybe Gon is, too. Knowing Togashi's talent, I don't doubt it.

edit:

chiasaur11 posted:

I think Tanjiro is from Izuku's lineage far more than Goku's or Luffy's, so we've seen significant impact already, and given how Demon Slayer is one of the best selling manga of all time, I'm pretty sure Deku's character type is going to keep showing up for quite a while.

This is good to hear, by the way. Sorry for not replying.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 20, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Yeah I've always wanted to see more protagonists in the vein of Yusuke.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Other heroes typically seem to spend their careers with two(!) lungs and an entire stomach to call their own, the bougie assholes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

HxH is a big one I've missed, mainly because I've been told forever it will never be finished and after ASOIAF, I try to avoid getting invested in storis that will never have a satisfying resolution.

Still, Yusuke in YYH is my other favorite shounen MC besides Deku. I'm not a delinquent from a broken home (shock of shocks) but Yusuke is still extremely relatable, well-written, and down-to-earth in a way I find so rare in these stories. Maybe Gon is, too. Knowing Togashi's talent, I don't doubt it.

Gon's well written, but... definitely not down to Earth. He's more a classic shonen fight maniac broken down to "but seriously, how crazy would that kind of person be?" levels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yusuke is kind of the same as Gon. (Well more like the same as Ging but you know.) He is kind and has a caring heart and is also kind of borderline insane. Yusuke is more put together because he has Kuwabara and Keiko to be non insane influences but at the end of the day he *really* likes fighting.

Gon is mote childlike and the only good influence he has is fuckin' Leorio of all people so he is a looot scarier though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah I've always wanted to see more protagonists in the vein of Yusuke.

Same here. Him or Edward Elric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really liked the early parts of the manga where Deku worked in groups more. He was good at coming up with plans that used his classmates' strengths to get out of dangerous situations(like at USJ and during the Bakugo rescue). I don't know why the manga stopped doing that with him. Was it because he got too strong? Was it because that was also kind of became Momo's thing, too(though she's much worse at it)?