Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Liu Kang gentrified Outworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Liu Kang yassified Outworld

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

exquisite tea posted:

In terms of having robust single player kontent and progression, I think MK1 is clearly not on the same level as MK11. In terms of creating a fun competitive fighting game however, MK1 evolves on that greatly while doing away with some of the most annoying poo poo about MK11. Higher damage, lower defense, no more counterpick doh-see-doh, fairer footsies. Everything is generally more unsafe which means you actually get to press buttons and land combos (this is a hypothetical statement until I stop dropping every one I do). I know probably most people here don’t play MK ranked at all but this is probably the best one to pick up and learn.

MK11 feels like someone sought out to design a fighting game where all the system mechanics are wrong and I'm glad MK1 is almost a complete 180 from that

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Servers appear to be down for maintenance for the next hour or two. Bummer. Wanted to enjoy some Kombat with my Koffee.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On release is always the best time to play a fighting game because you'll be blowing up some dude who's never heard of the block button then get styled on for a 44% wombo combo because you walked right into the only button sequence he's committed to memory.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

exquisite tea posted:

On release is always the best time to play a fighting game because you'll be blowing up some dude who's never heard of the block button then get styled on for a 44% wombo combo because you walked right into the only button sequence he's committed to memory.

was that you last night??? put me in a corner like that again and youll get whats coming! :colbert:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

baraka loving rules in this game, both in the story mode and also in gameplay. He's so flashy and extra

someone on the team loving LOVED Baraka and Reptile in terms of rehabbing them to be heroes in the main story and giving them awesome movesets. Baraka alone has INSANE poo poo i.e. the popup grab, the unga bunga autocombo that can cancel into specials, the meterburn bone missile that causes bleed, the Super Star Wars blade spin. He's a family man now and he also has the best prefight interaction in the game with Johnny.

I like how Shujinko is literally just Pai Mai. From the beard flip to the heart explosion fatality lol.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
going from M11 to MK1 is a weird feeling, but not a bad one. It certainly feels slower and the moves seem more intentional and take more time. In MK11 I mained Jacqui Briggs and she was great, I was eventually a terror with her. But for MK1, I think I'm still trying to figure out how to even play it in a way that's fluid and makes sense. I'm waiting for it to click but it hasn't happened yet.

for those of you in pre-release and who have had some time with it, how would you explain the best sort of perspective for playing? I find myself just sitting there throwing basic poo poo and haven't moved up to a lot of combos yet (which again is frustrating coming from MK11, which I know well at this point), and I'm looking for a character that I can be fairly quick with and who has some combo options that aren't too tough to execute.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Raiden, Liu and Scorpion have very simple combos, add in a straightforward kameo like Sonya and go practice.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

FYI if you're looking for a good throw assist you should see if your character has back throw synergy with Darrius. Able to get about 26% for one bar or a fatal blow with Smoke. I know kung lao/motaro have similar setups for other characters with their teleports, but if those don't work for your character (it doesn't for Smoke) it might with Darrius and its arguably better than Cyrax or Jax's 2 meter front throw options for usually worse damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxoNvZbDir4

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Mr. Neutron posted:

Raiden, Liu and Scorpion have very simple combos, add in a straightforward kameo like Sonya and go practice.

I find Tanya has very simple combos too, and works great with goro.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sub-Zero is great in this game, he doesn't have the flashiest or most complex poo poo but he does have it "all" i.e. a freezing projectile so you'll never lose a tradeoff, a dive kick with EX popup, an easy af popup in one of his basic 2-button kombos, a screen-length low attack, and the best defensive tool in the game with his ice Klone (which also lets him do tricks in the air by activating it in a jump.) You can pick him up and just do poo poo based on his simple principles. Reptile is another good simple character with his slides/dashes and the force ball being able to pop up people, he has great reach to rush up to anyone at anytime.

Ashrah, Shang Tsung, Geras, Kenshi and Johnny feel like the "high concept" characters so far i.e. they have a lot of features/stances/boosts going on in their toolset you have to learn.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just got an extremely OP talisman that literally makes you fart at your opponent and I swear it will drain their lifebar within seconds if they stand in it.

This game is incredible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Floodixor posted:

going from M11 to MK1 is a weird feeling, but not a bad one. It certainly feels slower and the moves seem more intentional and take more time. In MK11 I mained Jacqui Briggs and she was great, I was eventually a terror with her. But for MK1, I think I'm still trying to figure out how to even play it in a way that's fluid and makes sense. I'm waiting for it to click but it hasn't happened yet.

for those of you in pre-release and who have had some time with it, how would you explain the best sort of perspective for playing? I find myself just sitting there throwing basic poo poo and haven't moved up to a lot of combos yet (which again is frustrating coming from MK11, which I know well at this point), and I'm looking for a character that I can be fairly quick with and who has some combo options that aren't too tough to execute.

Sareena is probably the best all-around kameo if you haven't had the chance to settle in with a character yet, since her daggers are basically all-purpose combo extenders for virtually anyone. If you want to be a degenerate ignorant menace like Jacqui in MK11 then you want to select Johnny Cage on that start screen.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Smoke + sareena is fun as gently caress

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm never not using goro or motaro or stryker

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I liked Shinnok in MKX and Noob in MK11. What kinda playstyle are those characters considered, and what would be closest to that style in this game?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I wish Reiko had a more interesting looking stance/moveset because he's really fun to play.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jamesman posted:

I liked Shinnok in MKX and Noob in MK11. What kinda playstyle are those characters considered, and what would be closest to that style in this game?

idk a single thing about Shinnok but Smoke kind of has Noob's bullshit teleports and throws. Nobody really comes close to his menagerie of poo poo to contend with but Smoke does have a lot of that "where is he coming from, oh jesus" allure. Combine him with Motaro or Kung Lao's kameo teleports and you can really gently caress with people.

Babe Magnet posted:

I wish Reiko had a more interesting looking stance/moveset because he's really fun to play.

Reiko is a dumb gently caress and his MMA moveset and stance absolutely hammers it home. He loves to stay in neutral with those kicks and then can just slide in and groundpound you. He's the oogabooga moron of the cast, the devs understood the assignment much like how they finally said "you want Sareena? ok well remember, she's an ugly demonette, enjoy."

On another note they also understood how Havik is an undead feel-no-pain freak with the insane armor you get from his moves. The arm bash special in particular can legit tank several hits.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Lmao just got my first quitality. Guy put up a good fight in the first set and won, i won the second set cos smoke sareena just clicked and i entered a flow stage and kept getting near flawless and that was just too much for the poor sod. Could hear him calling bullshit on the ps5 controller hahahaha

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Smoke is kinda dirty. Also I wonder whether his teleport cancel not costing a bar is even intended cause that sure does seem like a bug to me.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

idk a single thing about Shinnok but Smoke kind of has Noob's bullshit teleports and throws. Nobody really comes close to his menagerie of poo poo to contend with but Smoke does have a lot of that "where is he coming from, oh jesus" allure. Combine him with Motaro or Kung Lao's kameo teleports and you can really gently caress with people.

Reiko is a dumb gently caress and his MMA moveset and stance absolutely hammers it home. He loves to stay in neutral with those kicks and then can just slide in and groundpound you. He's the oogabooga moron of the cast, the devs understood the assignment much like how they finally said "you want Sareena? ok well remember, she's an ugly demonette, enjoy."

On another note they also understood how Havik is an undead feel-no-pain freak with the insane armor you get from his moves. The arm bash special in particular can legit tank several hits.

Reiko being a dumb brute force meat head makes so much sense honestly

I'm glad there is an Ungabunga character in MK now lol

Has anyone played Rain yet? 2 more days before I can try that spicy guy. Saw that he actually isn't just a hard zoner but has great combos as well

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 17, 2023

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Reiko being a dumb brute force meat head makes so much sense honestly

I'm glad there is an Ungabunga character in MK now lol

Has anyone played Rain yet? 2 more days before I can try that spicy guy. Saw the he actually isn't just a hard zoner but has great combos as well

Rain feels like someone dropped a character from another game into Mortal Kombat, he's finally reached peak wizard status. I do not understand how his poo poo works yet but the things you can do with his portals are so sick, legit just pop out and immediately do overheads from the air, pop them up and keep loving them up. His round-the-world kick def has massive synergy with kameos if you get the timing right.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Mr. Neutron posted:

Smoke is kinda dirty. Also I wonder whether his teleport cancel not costing a bar is even intended cause that sure does seem like a bug to me.

I am absolutely gonna abuse it until its nerfed and then complain on official forums :colbert:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

I hope it is intended and it stays because I really disliked MK11's design philosophy that anything remotely fun to do has to cost meter

His db4 teleport cancel isn't very good anyway, it's got a ton of recovery time and you really have to catch the opponent sleeping to do anything with it. His bf3 cancel is pretty key to his combo structure, are hard limited to once a combo, and they're not that easy to do so meterless seems fine to me- I'd think if they intended for those to cost meter they wouldn't have put a cap on how many times you can use it in a single combo

I think his real dirty move is his ex db2. Going invisible above and behind the opponent leaving them to worry about an air 344, a mix, or a throw while their special inputs are suddenly flipped is insane, and even if you get predictable with how you use it they cant really stick out a poke to stop you because it has armor and they'll get knocked down with good oki. I love how accessible they made invisibility for him this time around, it was largely a gimmick that wasn't worth it compared to his other busted stuff in 9

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

exquisite tea posted:

If you want to be a degenerate ignorant menace like Jacqui in MK11 then you want to select Johnny Cage on that start screen.

lol I will never pretend to be a higher level player playing the Thinking Fight Man Game, but I do like to lay into folks with combos and win matches, so thank you for the advice

I also want to get good with Kung Liu, because I've always just really liked him as a character but could never really get a handle on his attack styles, use of space control, etc. But he's different in this game and he's been my boy in the Invasions

I miss the mk11 krypt tho, I know that it was basically a fancier loot mobile game at the core, but it worked on me. I've reset the chests so many times and will just book around that place getting stuff that I often will never use

I remember seeing the requirements for shang tsung's throne room with the severed heads and thinking "no loving way am I doing that grind, NRS" but I did

The Invasions mode is okay I guess, but it's not as fun if you just still don't really know how to fight with whatever character

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
People who play mileena and baraka in mk1 should be taken to the hauge

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

People who play mileena and baraka in mk1 should be taken to the hauge

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://twitter.com/neoncaelestis/status/1703111955907780621

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LOL that's amazing.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I mean, yeah, the Switch version is inferior.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Wasn't expecting the Switch to get Gowron as an exclusive guest character.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

...! posted:

Welp, this game has convinced me to reinstall MK11 instead. I can't believe how inferior this game is and I'm a little shocked that you guys have the opposite opinion.

Gameplay wise I'm liking this a bit more than MK11, but with story, presentation, and even the character models I like MK11 way more than MK1. MK11 had full on Tagawa supremacy instead of some dude doing a Tagawa impression.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

G-III posted:

Gameplay wise I'm liking this a bit more than MK11, but with story, presentation, and even the character models I like MK11 way more than MK1. MK11 had full on Tagawa supremacy instead of some dude doing a Tagawa impression.

To be fair, it’s a really good impression. I totally buy him as a young version of that guy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

New Shang Tsung is actually one of the best things about MK1 I'd say. He does a great job.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lammasu posted:

I mean, yeah, the Switch version is inferior.

Incorrect.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 18, 2023

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

man nurse posted:

To be fair, it’s a really good impression. I totally buy him as a young version of that guy.

Yeah not trying throw shade on the voice actor, guy is doing a great job. Just ain't the same.

On the topic of voice acting, overall I feel like it's worse in MK1 than MK11. Something is also wrong with the audio mix in that the volume and clarity of the voices just doesn't seem 'right' in story mode. 

Meanwhile I really hope the game gives you use the classic skins the kameo ninjas have for sub zero and scorpion because hate the man-bun ninja haircuts.

G-III fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 18, 2023

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

"This edible ain't shi-:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kitana too blessed to be stressed about pixel count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Floodixor posted:

I remember seeing the requirements for shang tsung's throne room with the severed heads and thinking "no loving way am I doing that grind, NRS" but I did