Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Benne posted:

It's wild how Herbert is having almost the exact same career arc as Fouts and Rivers

the Chargers are QB Purgatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I'd say Staley gives me big time Mike McCoy vibes, but that's bullshit. McCoy won a playoff game, for one.

What gets me about Staley is that he's a defensive coach, and the Chargers' defense has been just absolutely abysmal, every single year, that he's been here. They can't stop the run, which whatever, the Chargers refuse to draft a real run stuffer and haven't had a legitimate one since Jamaal Williams. They can't play pass defense worth a poo poo either - like all of their coverages are just badly schemed, and there is just a complete refusal to even attempt to adjust anything. The same poo poo, over and over and over again, when you know it doesn't work. There's no reason why Staley should coach this team; there's no reason why he should've been allowed to keep his job after 27-0, aside for Dean Spanos being a cheap, negligent deadbeat of an owner. He brings absolutely nothing to the table.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Febreeze posted:

What if, and hear me out here, Brian Daboll discourse

We want him back.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Duane Brown loving sucks

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Durandal1707 posted:

I'd say Staley gives me big time Mike McCoy vibes, but that's bullshit. McCoy won a playoff game, for one.

What gets me about Staley is that he's a defensive coach, and the Chargers' defense has been just absolutely abysmal, every single year, that he's been here. They can't stop the run, which whatever, the Chargers refuse to draft a real run stuffer and haven't had a legitimate one since Jamaal Williams. They can't play pass defense worth a poo poo either - like all of their coverages are just badly schemed, and there is just a complete refusal to even attempt to adjust anything. The same poo poo, over and over and over again, when you know it doesn't work. There's no reason why Staley should coach this team; there's no reason why he should've been allowed to keep his job after 27-0, aside for Dean Spanos being a cheap, negligent deadbeat of an owner. He brings absolutely nothing to the table.

It's incredible because they play exactly to the level of their opponent.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Are we...sure Eberflus is safe?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kirios posted:

Absolutely not, especially if he's losing the locker room

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Febreeze posted:

What if, and hear me out here, Brian Daboll discourse

Nevermind folks nothing to see here lets just move along

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kirios posted:

Not in the slightest. The injuries so far have been devastating on both sides of the ball, but almost everyone looks absolutely listless and checked out. And there's absolutely no excuse for the Bears' inability to A) generate quarterback pressure and B) loving tackle, just as there's no excuse for the receivers blowing their route assignments so often. There were times today when Moore, Mooney and Claypool looked like they were running three different plays.

I just don't know what to think about Fields. I mean, he was playing behind an utterly makeshift offensive line with the resilience of damp tissue paper, but outside of the two scoring drives his decision-making was maddening.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Brandon Staley fraud status: Still.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Kirios posted:

He never should have got that job. It was the Bearsiest decision to hire a guy that specialized in a dinosaur Defense.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He had a good defense in Indy but he also had a lot better players like Leonard before he got injured and Buckner

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Codependent Poster posted:

He had a good defense in Indy but he also had a lot better players like Leonard before he got injured and Buckner
Oh, that might explain why they invested so much in off-ball linebackers then.

Bears need to fire him, probably hock Fields for scrap, and, let’s be real: fail anew.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bears should see what the jets would offer for fields.

They’re probably staring at two top ten picks next year and could go for Caleb.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

FizFashizzle posted:

Bears should see what the jets would offer for fields.

They’re probably staring at two top ten picks next year and could go for Caleb.

Fields is nearly as bad as Zach Wilson lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

You could probably whip up a quick ground and pound with fields’ skills et more easily than trying to zombie Rodgers offense onto Wilson.

Just spitballing here of course the jets needs to be offering a trade for dalton.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

They have different problems and neither can read a defense but I still think the Bears could trick the Jets and get a couple more picks then start their new franchise QB savior Tyson Bagent to get them to the promised land of not drafting Caleb Williams

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FizFashizzle posted:

You could probably whip up a quick ground and pound with fields’ skills et more easily than trying to zombie Rodgers offense onto Wilson.

Just spitballing here of course the jets needs to be offering a trade for dalton.
Maybe you or Professor Funk could, but Nathaniel Hackett could not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mcmagic posted:

They get killed on screens and draws because it's too predicable and they play too much cover 2 but any scheme is going to look good with the amount of talent they have on the DL right now. It's not like they are outsmarting anyone.... their guys are winning their 1 on 1s.

bumping this.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Chris James 2 posted:

If Staley is still there in February the team should be moved again

I agree, if the chargers are in the super bowl they should move back to San Diego.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I feel like Eberflus should be upgraded to spicy hot, as Chicago is already in full meltdown mode 2 games in.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Simplex posted:

I feel like Eberflus should be upgraded to spicy hot, as Chicago is already in full meltdown mode 2 games in.

When was the last time the Chicago Bears, a 100+ year old organization, fired a coach midseason

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Forrest on Fire posted:

When was the last time the Chicago Bears, a 100+ year old organization, fired a coach midseason

Never. They’ve also never fired a coach who got less than two full seasons, but this is his second year.

Of course, if any of the crazy rumors flying around prove true…

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The rumors also suggest Eberflus isn't involved with whatever the DC did, so he'll likely last until the end of the season and then get canned for incompetence like all Bears coaches eventually do.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Simplex posted:

Eberflus’ chair has either already melted away and he is locked into a stationary, seated position through sheer radiation alone, or he’s the “This is fine” meme.

I can totally see a scenario where Eberflus survives the season based on the entire rest of the organisation being on fire around him.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He can both a) not be fired midseason and b) absolutely not be still employed Week 1 next season

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

spicy hot means they've got to be getting fired imminently. happened to rhule, reich, and hackett all quickly after they received the stamp last season. i trust in the op for these matters. if the head coach of the bears only receives moderate instead then i know he is not possibly gone within the proceeding 2 weeks.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Cavauro posted:

spicy hot means they've got to be getting fired imminently. happened to rhule, reich, and hackett all quickly after they received the stamp last season. i trust in the op for these matters. if the head coach of the bears only receives moderate instead then i know he is not possibly gone within the proceeding 2 weeks.
Yeah, there’s no reason to believe ATM that Eberflus is in danger of being fired imminently. Quite possibly at the end of the year, the way things are going, but not *yet*.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Think back to Urbz and have a solid LOL

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
As always, Cavauro is right

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

perhaps it's even time to reintroduce a flavor in-between... but first, it has to be decided if the bears head coach would even fit that role. i'm not confident where he should go, and i'm waiting to exhale.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Bears have a very late bye (Week 13) which probably helps to keep Eberflus safe until at least that time. If you're firing a coach midseason it's because they're either grossly incompetent (Hackett, Urban) or because you're concerned they might gently caress up the development of your players (Fields... leading into my next point). If you're firing Eberflus and installing someone else as head coach, you probably want to do it during the bye so the interim has extra time to acclimatize and prepare.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He's spicy hot but since it's the Midwest that's like, Dangerwich hot.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the bye also represents saying "bye" to the first major chunk of the season for each team, with an exception for the teams who need to take their byes in week 4, 5, or 6. it's a time for adjusting or reinforcing your expectations for the remainder of the season. it can mean saying "bye" to a division title, or a head coach. in the playoffs, the bye is used to say "bye" to the piece of shits who aren't any good and you're going to kill them next time. but i digress

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What's the full zombie mode where the corpse is dead and rotting but it might stumble around until week 18 and maybe chomp a brain or two on the way?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Is there a tier for 'Could potentially get swallowed up by a federal investigation that destroys the organization but also might just be the head coach for a team that botched an announcement in a weird way'?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Think back to Urbz and have a solid LOL

Thinking bout that time he got caught groping someone like 1/3 his age in his own restaurant where there’s a giant photo of him and his wife on the wall and was so owned he didn’t even travel back to Florida with the team :lol:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It's wild how the Jags came out of that disaster with an actual good coach and division win the next year.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The "My Defensive Coordinator is not part of a major criminal investigation" shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt tier of job security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Every time I'm feeling down I think about the Urbz NFL saga and I feel a little better. Remember when he didn't know who Aaron Donald was?