Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
No defense is elite in every single category. The Jets do plenty of stuff that's not straight up zone, pattern matching and split field concepts and such. They are a great defense, both in scheme and personnel.

Now the hiring of Nathaniel Hackett, I will definitely question that as well as a lot of other decisions made on the other side of the ball. They had a chance to bring in someone and make sure Zach Wilson never had to play again, for example. The 49ers did it, sometimes you just need to cut your loving losses and move on. Now they're in a poo poo situation but one that was entirely possible, maybe even likely, from the get-go. The only real surprise is it happening four offensive snaps into the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s pretty funny to me that this is the year where the Jets decision making processes actually seemed good and smart and then!

And now dudes are gonna get fired for it. But yeah it’s a results business and if you don’t get results you gotta go eventually.

I have been calling out their incompetent management of both the OL and the QB room as a whole for the entire offseason.

Also, you're likely wrong and no one will get fired.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I do think Douglas has a good chance of getting fired but Saleh is probably safe if they don't completely collapse.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I actually think Saleh's a decent coach who's been horrifically hosed by QB. Like he hasn't even had a Desmond Ridder level QB for his whole tenure. It's been genuinely the worst dudes in the league (including backups) starting for them. I could see him getting fired this year but I feel like he'd deserve another shot somewhere

I'd go so far as to say literally just having Brissett they'd have a decent chance of getting a playoff win. Regardless if the Jets and Bucs both fire their coaches this year I wouldn't be mad if the Bucs hired Saleh

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Sure but I don't think you should consider him guilt free with the QB situation. While the GM is ultimately responsible for the roster the head coach has input on what the team's needs are. They haven't just failed to get guys to replace Zach - first as a starter then as a backup - the past 2 years, they haven't even tried. That tells me that Saleh either likes him or doesn't give a poo poo about the offense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The o line is bad but all o lines are bad as far as I can tell.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

fsif posted:

Manning was 35 and Montana was 37. Rodgers is about to be 40 and was coming off of his worst season.

And nevermind what a weirdly curated list that is in the first place, heh.

FWIW, Manning and Montana were more injury concerns than anything. Peyton had the neck issues that cost him 2011 and doubts about how he’d play/hold up when he did come back, Montana had various injuries that cost him all of 1991 and then all but the last half of the last game of 1992 (Plus his injury history back to the mid-80s). Brady and Favre to the Jets didn’t have significant injury history, and even then Favre got hurt like mid-season with the Jets but just wouldn’t break his streak, and then came back playing amazing with the Vikings.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

As far as mistakes in the QB room go I think drafting Wilson at 2 is a way bigger one than getting Rodgers and him popping his Achilles 4 snaps into the season.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rogue0071 posted:

As far as mistakes in the QB room go I think drafting Wilson at 2 is a way bigger one than getting Rodgers and him popping his Achilles 4 snaps into the season.

They have to take a qb in that situation.

Only other options are Fields and design an offense around that, or they draft Mac Jones.

I guess in retrospect the best option (given how the team has developed) would be Jones

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 13, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rogue0071 posted:

That is the gently caress up that forced them to get Rodgers. It's the root of everything.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

In retrospect the correct move was Penei Sewell I guess.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

From a process standpoint, drafting Wilson at 2 was probably he most sane thing Douglas did at QB. He was a clean prospect.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I don't remember him being a clean prospect, I remember him being considered a bust candidate thanks to him being a manziel style run around and ball type who beat up weak competition at BYU during the lean covid season. He was one of those guys nobody talked about until like the combine when all of a sudden he'd rocketed past several other prospects like Fields and Jones

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

In retrospect the correct move was Penei Sewell I guess.

Gotta get the evaluation right with a QB and they hosed it up. Who knows if they talked themselves into Wilson because they needed a QB or if they got something else wrong. But then they also compounded it by pretty clearly knowing that he wasn't ready to start right away and still starting him and not having a viable backup when he wasn't playing well. It's just fuckup on top of gently caress up on top of gently caress up. That is how to get into this position.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sometimes you just have to gamble on a qb prospect :shobon:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Febreeze posted:

I don't remember him being a clean prospect, I remember him being considered a bust candidate thanks to him being a manziel style run around and ball type who beat up weak competition at BYU during the lean covid season. He was one of those guys nobody talked about until like the combine when all of a sudden he'd rocketed past several other prospects like Fields and Jones

Maybe "clean prospect" is overselling things a tad but he was the #2 QB on just about every draftnik's board. He certainly wasn't a divisive pick a la Allen, Lance, or Richardson.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

mcmagic posted:

That is the gently caress up that forced them to get Rodgers. It's the root of everything.

Tbh whiffing on a qb so hard at #2 overall would be the end of most HC/GM s

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

EmbryoSteve posted:

I mean, look at the 49ers. If they weren't going deep in the playoffs every year, Trey Lance would have been the end of them. So I'm sure if we look at the Jets' results we'll see...

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Jets find new and creative ways to dash preseason optimism to create crushing despair within the fanbase. This year going to be tough to beat and has set a new standard within Jets fandom.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If I was a GM I would simply not pick busts. Every single pick I make would be an all-pro.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Febreeze posted:

This is 100% what it was. I can see how they got suckered in, similarly to how the niners got suckered into the Trey Lance experience. Even I really like the look of some of his throws, although I noticed how wide open most of them were. Surprising arm strength, decent accuracy and a good scrambling ability, albeit all against lesser competition and in the covid year. But the flags were definitely there, they were many, and they were extremely red

That being said the 49ers have recovered from that mistake. Yeah they kind of lucked into Brock Purdy, but there's also no doubt that if that hadn't happened they would still have found a backup who could win them games. The Jets were just idiots, they could've had a better QB than Zach in rounds 5-7 of this year's draft. Perhaps they could've forgone their fourth string RB or some defensive players who probably won't be on the team in a year? Or their 7th round tight end? Or even pick up some promising college player as a UFA? Who knows

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

EmbryoSteve posted:

It would've been justified to fire douglas based on that for sure. I could live with them not doing that because he has improved the overall talent on the team which you cant deny and I also have no faith in them being able to hire someone any better. But at this point the continued complete inability to have even a non embarrassing OL and having BY FAR the worst QB play in the league every year he's been the GM is just not something that should not be acceptable.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

From the NFC North thread:

This man is mild. And I don't just mean his job status.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Mega64 posted:

If I was a GM I would simply not pick busts. Every single pick I make would be an all-pro.

The Brad Holmes school of thought.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Folks, it is time for a Matt Eberflus dialogue

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
How much longer can you really keep doing this every week with Staley? This team is anti-clutch under him. If Jerry West and Robert Horry are the pictures of Los Angeles clutch, the Chargers are the antonym.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

staley should be boiling hot from now until he gets fired in January

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sooooo….. Brandon Staley?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
He's not getting fired mid-season

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Probably Magic posted:

How much longer can you really keep doing this every week with Staley? This team is anti-clutch under him. If Jerry West and Robert Horry are the pictures of Los Angeles clutch, the Chargers are the antonym.

This isn't a Staley problem, it's every chargers coach. Nothing will ever change while Spanos owns the team.

Anyway Staley and Telesco are gone after the season, lots of big names are gonna get cut, and Herbert is going to flounder under another first time head coach until he's also fired after year 3

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's wild how Herbert is having almost the exact same career arc as Fouts and Rivers

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
I get letting a guy try and save his job, but Staley is so obviously a bad coach I don't see how you let him coach out the year.

Kellen Moore is gonna be fielding HC offers. At least give yourselves a shot to keep him and Herbert together.

Chargers gonna charger and hire Gregg Williams or some poo poo.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

a neat cape posted:

This isn't a Staley problem, it's every chargers coach. Nothing will ever change while Spanos owns the team.

Anyway Staley and Telesco are gone after the season, lots of big names are gonna get cut, and Herbert is going to flounder under another first time head coach until he's also fired after year 3

I remember a few years where the Chargers specifically kept squeezing the Titans out of the playoffs by having late season surges that snuck them into the playoffs, like, the early Norv years. But lately... just insanely frustrating. Feel for you guys.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Rob Ryan isn't a downgrade from Brandon Staley as a defensive coach. The end of this season can't come soon enough cuz we all know Staley isn't getting fired midseason unless they go 0-8. Even then, I expect to hear the deadly vote of confidence and that's it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If Staley is still there in February the team should be moved again

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
What if, and hear me out here, Brian Daboll discourse

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Does Daboll even make it to the quarter-pole update if this keeps up?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Febreeze posted:

What if, and hear me out here, Brian Daboll discourse

Oh surely it can't be bad, let me check the - oh. OH.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Matt Nagy went from Coach of the Year in 2018 to fired in 2021. Looks like Daboll is itching to break that record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It is 5:40PM Eastern and the New York Giants are losing to what had been the consensus "this team is picking #1 next draft" team 20-0