Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

actionjackson posted:

given that Mentour pilot is mostly about near disasters or disasters maybe it's not the best for me :)

craziest flying seems to be those hurricane planes that the military uses

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's flights into hurricanes loving own.

NOAAs Miss Piggy and Kermit both fly into some awesome hurricanes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70n7riR6fCM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Craziest flying you can do is helicopter tours in the US since the pilots are all low time peeps building time to move on to other, better jobs.

Edit:

Hail, ect

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 12, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

No, but I'm hearing the 14th is some sort of D-Day for them with regard to a major shake-up of SkyMiles bound to piss off many.

The one mile at a time guy published this early and holy poo poo Amex is going to be pissed.

Either that or maybe they both made major miscalculations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol i was just going to post about that

i'm in a delta hub (MSP) but rarely fly so it probably doesn't affect me much, but the flyertalk thread is pretty funny

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you want Reddit salt this seems to be a good thread https://reddit.com/r/delta/s/g61NqR0wI9

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jesus Christ, the spend on the Platinum card to just get SILVER Medallion, with no money spent on travel, is $120,000. :wtc:

I've been Silver since 2021 thanks to the COVID rollover MQMs and enough travel and spend to keep it going, but holy gently caress.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thinking about the opportunity cost on this lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

thinking about the opportunity cost on this lol

HOW TOM EARNS DELTA 360 | ??? MQDS
[*] 7x Super Bowl champion, 5x Super Bowl MVP
[*] 3x NFL MVP
[*] 30+ missed calls from Ed per year
[*] Sent two Jet Cards back in autumn, must not've got'em
[*] Anyways, I hope you get this Tom, just to chat, truly yours your biggest fan, this is Ed

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Alaska about to get a deluge of status match requests out west lmao

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Alaska about to get a deluge of status match requests out west lmao

Delta could have just given up their gates in SEA if they didn't want them, no reason to self immolate like this.

United leadership is desperately trying to figure out if they can change their quals and the rest of Americans are trying to figure out how the gently caress people in Delta's marketing copy have that much money with $4/gal gas and $4-800/mo on groceries.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SeaborneClink posted:

Delta could have just given up their gates in SEA if they didn't want them, no reason to self immolate like this.

United leadership is desperately trying to figure out if they can change their quals and the rest of Americans are trying to figure out how the gently caress people in Delta's marketing copy have that much money with $4/gal gas and $4-800/mo on groceries.

Delta has a promotion going on where you earn points based upon the number of points the Seahawks score this year.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

someone made an interesting point in the flyertalk thread - someone who hits diamond in this new system is going to have to be buying a lot of first and business class tickets, which makes having diamond for upgrade priority moot

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

actionjackson posted:

someone made an interesting point in the flyertalk thread - someone who hits diamond in this new system is going to have to be buying a lot of first and business class tickets, which makes having diamond for upgrade priority moot

This is exactly their strategy: sell the premium seats instead of giving them away as upgrades. That's what Delta wants.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk what sort of person pays seven grand out of pocket to fly business class on a long haul but it's somebody much richer than me

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sapozhnik posted:

idk what sort of person pays seven grand out of pocket to fly business class on a long haul but it's somebody much richer than me

It's right there in the name. :)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I think I can list for zed business with delta so this is actually really good news for me

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

HENRYs basically

i would pay half that tho, which I see every so often

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delta’s problem is who is going to pay delta one fares when better products are cheaper and no matter what aircraft is on the website you could still end up with one of those 767-300s where half the seats don’t work right.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta’s problem is who is going to pay delta one fares when better products are cheaper and no matter what aircraft is on the website you could still end up with one of those 767-300s where half the seats don’t work right.

people like me who are hub captives (MSP) and want nonstop flights

though lufthansa will be flying from here to FRA starting next summer

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My wife just pointed out a TMG (engine was on and sounded okay) that flew over our, really slow and low. Looked up on flight radar and the altitude was reported at just below 1500ft, which is really low for a city. Next few data points were lower and lower, and it stopped being picked up at 700ft. At that time, it seemed to have been circling above some fields and parks outside of our neighbourhood (the ground track was erratic and looked like zig zag).

I mean there is a glider field closeby -- landed and took of there a couple of times myself --, but people typically don't approach it from the busy city, especially not if they have power. And it was kinda going the wrong way, too.

Wondering whether we might have witnesed an outlanding.

edit: whoops, no it popped up again at 800ft. Dude is just flying really really low over towns and cities

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 16, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey, if the FAA doesn't even define "congested area," then there's no way they can say i was flying over one!

-- jerry

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phanatic posted:

Great, thanks.

They recommended that in order to "clear the air" (their exact phrase) she see a HIMS-certified psychiatrist for an evaluation. The bitch here is that while the FAA has a list of HIMS neuropsychologists and psychologists, they do not provide a public-facing list of HIMS psychiatrists. I told her she should reach out to her AME to ask for a recommendation, but in the meantime I figured I'd ask if anyone here can point towards one. While we'd prefer one in the Philly area she can fly pretty much anywhere if need be.

So after much back and forth with the FAA, they've seen fit to allow my GF to hold a first class cert, which they've now mailed to her. So far so good.

But let me ask: the whole point behind getting a first class is because she wants to be a commercial airline pilot, and wanted to be sure she could qualify medically before she dumps money into flight school. Now that she's got it, and it expires in November, she figures she'll just go get a third class because she can train on that and it lasts longer. Is there any reason to not do it that way? Should be be maintaining the first class instead?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
The first class will expire to a third class, so there's no need to get a new medical for training. She'll have 3rd class for 60 months (under 40 years old) or 24 months (over 40 years old) from when she was issued the 1st class.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Personally I’d maintain a first class just in case, it’s not that much money in the grand scheme of flight training and will keep you from any unexpected surprises.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

hey, if the FAA doesn't even define "congested area," then there's no way they can say i was flying over one!

-- jerry

This is when someone on some forum busts out the map to start rules lawyering about how many feet above or below amsl Dutch cities are

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

right by the runway at the airport I noticed that some of the power lines had these orange balls attached to them. Is that for visibility for the pilot?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Phanatic posted:

So after much back and forth with the FAA, they've seen fit to allow my GF to hold a first class cert, which they've now mailed to her. So far so good.

:toot:

Refreshing to see someone do this in the right order for a change. Good on her.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

actionjackson posted:

right by the runway at the airport I noticed that some of the power lines had these orange balls attached to them. Is that for visibility for the pilot?

Yes.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

actionjackson posted:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Sometimes I see those balls where there's no airport or even a helipad. I wonder what that's about.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah me too

it must be strange to say you are from California... Missouri

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

sleepy gary posted:

Sometimes I see those balls where there's no airport or even a helipad. I wonder what that's about.

It’s probably an area where low-altitude air-ops of whatever kind are known to happen and there’s nothing else keeping them above the obstacle

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

sleepy gary posted:

Powerlines are often inspected and maintained by helicopter and powerlines can be incredibly hard to spot.

This is how some of them are installed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTMJadYZV4

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 18, 2023

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

actionjackson posted:

they’re to de-ionize the air around them so they don’t arc when the plane gets close

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I smooshed a gummy bear onto the outside of the window of my airplane and then flew from SJC to HNL and then KOA and he stayed stuck there the whole time. I need better hobbies.

I don't have a picture from Kona because it was dark so you're just gonna have to trust me

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
What a fascinating result, not what I would have expected.

Did the gummy puff up at altitude?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

e.pilot posted:

Personally I’d maintain a first class just in case, it’s not that much money in the grand scheme of flight training and will keep you from any unexpected surprises.

I've looked at the cert now and it has a restriction on it to the effect that when it hits the expiration date it isn't good for any other class. And the letter attached to it says than when she gets a new one, that new one must also bear the same restriction.

With that in mind, is the answer the same? I figure she should just keep renewing the first class for the reason you say: prevents any unexpected surprises.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Phanatic posted:

I've looked at the cert now and it has a restriction on it to the effect that when it hits the expiration date it isn't good for any other class. And the letter attached to it says than when she gets a new one, that new one must also bear the same restriction.

With that in mind, is the answer the same? I figure she should just keep renewing the first class for the reason you say: prevents any unexpected surprises.

absolutely, they’re going to have to maintain a first class eventually anyways, why not start now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

I smooshed a gummy bear onto the outside of the window of my airplane and then flew from SJC to HNL and then KOA and he stayed stuck there the whole time. I need better hobbies.

I don't have a picture from Kona because it was dark so you're just gonna have to trust me

How much effort was involved in removing it after all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Also, did you then eat it?