Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
loving Walmart grocery pick-up. It was fine enough at the edge of the parking lot, but now at most of our local stores the pick-up area is now DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE STORE. So cars come and go and it clogs up the lot, which also makes it way less safe for pedestrians. And it seems to take longer, somehow. God I'm so mad lol. I should be at Burger King and then eating weed edibles, not waiting an extra hour in this hellish corral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

RC Cola posted:

Hi friend. I went from auto QA to dev and let me tell you. I whipped those other fuckers into shape about adding IDs and poo poo. You gotta force those fuckers to do anything worthwhile

Naturally it fucks with accessibility, too. But no one cares about accessibility.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

euphronius posted:

I would love to have a daily physical media product delivered to my house in the morning with an easy to read and edited summary of the previous days sports and political events along with curated listings of upcoming local events

Disrupt the web

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Don't do that, spiders are chill. Just let them be.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The Mcdonalds thing pisses me off because I like their straws, and now I can't grab a handful when I go in. I reuse the drat things so much the color starts to fade on them.

Getting older/responsibilities. I miss when after 5pm meant I got to hang with my friend for hours on end online; we'd chat for an hour and then play games until we were half asleep. On weekend, till midnight. Now it's maybe 8pm she's done with taking care of her kid (she may as well be a single parent for all the help her spouse is), and then for an hour or two after that it's a little talk in between her playing catchup, the kid constantly getting out of bed and needing cuddles and another book before the cycle repeats, and maybe we get any time to hang out. But then on my side it's also various chores and cleaning and trying to get poo poo ready for weekend chores. It was so much nicer in my 20s when the big thing was "if I stay up till 2am and am up at 8am, I got plenty of time to do poo poo" and everyone else was in the same boat overall.

Costco has self-checkout now, which I guess is okay, but they could just have all the registers open? I've noticed a shortage of those while someone tries to corral people to go to self checkout, which doesn't have a scanner you can use either. When will they get loving pickup like Walmart because I do not need to fight my way through the hordes of retirees all looking to spend the day at Costco, I just need some lettuce and a chicken!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

MrQwerty posted:

That one's broken but you can see how easy it is to stress it out

That's what she said

:smith:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

anonumos posted:

As an automated software tester the nested divs are the bane of my existence. I need to identify an element with reliable xpath, but every change to the page causes the framework to reflow the layout with more or less nested divs, and spacer sibling divs. I have to get really creative to specifically identify one text box.

Edit: Speaking of which, the developers/framework don't give elements a default id. If they're lazy, there's no id, if the framework is configured a certain way, it generates random ids on page load or build. Rarely do I get a real, static, descriptive id value to use.

The proliferation of bootcamps and JS frameworks has massively enshittified websites and produced generations of web devs that don’t know poo poo about well structured HTML and CSS. Having layout code that a human could make sense of was the reason we fought the tabular layout war 20 years ago. We’ve gone full circle back around to bloated lovely layout code.

The library does it all for me, I just gotta build components :saddowns:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I updated my iPhone and it turned the new Focus on automatically. Even though I clicked the thing to turn it off and it told me it was off. I had to go through it deleting everything so that I could get alerts again.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Costco has self-checkout now, which I guess is okay, but they could just have all the registers open? I've noticed a shortage of those while someone tries to corral people to go to self checkout, which doesn't have a scanner you can use either. When will they get loving pickup like Walmart because I do not need to fight my way through the hordes of retirees all looking to spend the day at Costco, I just need some lettuce and a chicken!

Sam's club has a scan-and-go app. I can just walk out the door and show an employee the checkout screen on my phone.
I'd been thinking of switching to CostCo (because screw the Walton family) but the lack of a similar feature was a no-go for me, for now.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wilkins Micawber posted:

loving Walmart grocery pick-up. It was fine enough at the edge of the parking lot, but now at most of our local stores the pick-up area is now DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE STORE. So cars come and go and it clogs up the lot, which also makes it way less safe for pedestrians. And it seems to take longer, somehow. God I'm so mad lol. I should be at Burger King and then eating weed edibles, not waiting an extra hour in this hellish corral.

I’ve noticed that all the Walmarts and Neighborhood Markets have expanded their pickup parking spots to like quadruple their original size and most are always empty because there just aren’t that many people picking up groceries at any time. The Neighborhood Market by my house had the entire side of the building converted to pickup parking and it’s where I used to usually park. At any given time I’m there, the most cars I see picking up at a time is three.

There’s just way to many pickup spots now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The area in front of a Walmart is a mad max death zone

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Every time my Samsung S22 gets an update the fucks autoinstall 3 mobile games without my express permission. Should be illegal

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
For all you people complaining about the internet, how have you survived this long without adblock?
And why?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

The area in front of a Walmart is a mad max death zone

JUST WALK AWAY!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can’t install it on my work pc or phone

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

euphronius posted:

Can’t install it on my work pc or phone

Man. Any internet device that I can't get adblock for becomes an appliance, to be used for whatever limited function it is essential for, then put back in its box.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

Atopian posted:

Man. Any internet device that I can't get adblock for becomes an appliance, to be used for whatever limited function it is essential for, then put back in its box.

We implemented a new content filter at my place of employment a couple of months back. Adblock not working for one day just about caused me to resign. I can't live like that.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
My Superstore just went from 6 self-checkouts with big bagging areas with the weight sensors disabled to something like 12 tiny self-checkouts with tiny bagging areas that have weight sensors on so I can't use my backpack as a grocery bag without first putting all my groceries on the tiny bagging area and paying. It's just the little things that deliberately gently caress with your work flow, you know?

I DID have the thought "OTOH, this'll dissuade idiots from rolling into the self checkout zone with a full god drat cart" but in reality idiots are always going to be idiots, so now these people will just take ten times as long with the checkout because the lone employee supervising a dozen stations will need to hold their hand a bunch and keep doing overrides or some poo poo.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

1: Whoops, my browser lost focus, let me click on it to bring it back, and, oh, there's literally nowhere I can click on this web page that doesn't result in either a video playing, or a new page loading.

I just right click if I want to focus a window or wake up the computer. Less chance of it doing something I don’t want it to.

Still better than having to click to focus like on macOS. If I have a video tutorial in another window that I want to make full screen I have to triple click it.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I'm not opposed to self check out, I trust myself to bad my groceries, but why don't I get some sort of discount? Why don't things cost less due to less labor demand?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Outpost22 posted:

I'm not opposed to self check out, I trust myself to bad my groceries, but why don't I get some sort of discount? Why don't things cost less due to less labor demand?

They didn't do it to save YOU money

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't self checkout unless absolutely necessary.

I also never bag my own groceries. I'm paying y'all for that.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt posted:

I don't self checkout unless absolutely necessary.

I loving love self-checkout dude, it's like an express lane just for shoplifting. Every piece of produce is a banana! BOGO specials on all items too light to be detected by the uncalibrated scale! Everything under the cart is free!

Like, if you're gonna fire a bunch of employees and make me do the work you're not willing to pay them for, I'm sure as poo poo pilfering a few cases of Spindrift for my trouble.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I loving love self-checkout dude, it's like an express lane just for shoplifting. Every piece of produce is a banana! BOGO specials on all items too light to be detected by the uncalibrated scale! Everything under the cart is free!

Like, if you're gonna fire a bunch of employees and make me do the work you're not willing to pay them for, I'm sure as poo poo pilfering a few cases of Spindrift for my trouble.

I like your moxie.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It has dramatically simplified shoplifting for sure. I don't do it personally because I'm a coward. I absolutely would be doing it if I was even more broke than I already am. There are a lot of shenanigans you can do with UPC labels, items of equivalent weight, very basic sleight of hand, etc.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've seen someone simply push their cart right past the self checkouts and leave. The employee that saw them turned around and pretended to look at their phone.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

There's a program I use every every day at work that includes clicking on a date on a calendar to select that date.

For some reason they just changed it. Instead of a simple left click to select the date, now you have to right-click on it to bring up a dropdown, then left click to choose "select date".

Why would anyone do this?

you make your business UX as bad as humanly possible so you can sell the annual and onboarding training event passes, autocad and SAP figured this one out decades ago

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I know this is GBS and “lol sportsball!” But how the gently caress do you even watch sports anymore?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I know this is GBS and “lol sportsball!” But how the gently caress do you even watch sports anymore?

I have this antennae device I connect to the TV box.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Live broadcast sports are the only thing keeping the networks together at this point

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I watch the raiders make fools of themselves on YouTube or go to a bar

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I go to bars in Tokyo or turn on DAZN

Its the only thing I can easily watch in this country for whatever reason

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
AppleTV has decided I have to log in every single time, and also to immediately auto play the season 2 trailer for the show I'm watching season 1 of. gently caress I hate auto play previews on all these streaming apps so much in general

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Atopian posted:

They said AdBlock was going to stop working a couple months back but that seems to have been a toothless threat, lol.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My cosmic crisp apples ended up ringing up as red delicious somehow it is a mystery

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I can’t even pay MLB to watch games because I’m an hour and a half from the stadium, so blackout. Obvs I’m just going to drive over to watch the game in person. Or VPN it and watch from “the Netherlands”, at least until they figure out I’m doing it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

redshirt posted:

I have this antennae device I connect to the TV box.

I plug my Playstation TV into my computer and use a Linux VM running Kaffeine to watch.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

They said AdBlock was going to stop working a couple months back but that seems to have been a toothless threat, lol.

Speaking of Adblock, here’s a screenshot I took of a real, actual website earlier today while browsing on my new phone which did not have an Adblock installed. I mean, it’s comical at this point. I now have Adblock set up.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

gently caress I hate auto play previews on all these streaming apps so much in general

jesus christ :same:

e: actually any autoplay in general. it drives me crazy that there's no option to turn it off on my youtube "watch later" playlist, I'll be watching a video from it and the millisecond it's over it'll start playing the next one and even if I pause it immediately the entire red bar will be filled out underneath as though I've already watched it

just loving STOP, goddamn

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Noobles posted:

Speaking of Adblock, here’s a screenshot I took of a real, actual website earlier today while browsing on my new phone which did not have an Adblock installed. I mean, it’s comical at this point. I now have Adblock set up.

Not a single pixel of content. Full monetization.

Edit: "Ad Choices" needs the corporate death penalty.