Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

quote:

The cost of each plane was not disclosed by Secretary of the Air Force Frank Kendall, but is expected to be in the hundreds of millions. "It's going to be an expensive airplane" said Kendall. In 2023, the Air Force's force structure planning projects approximately 200 manned NGAD fighters, although this is a notional figure for rough planning assumptions. SMG Consulting shared an infographic on the program, showing dimensions, cost, and combat radius, based on the Lockheed Martin 6th generation fighter artist impressions.

oh hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
im a 6th generation fighter artist impressionist

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SaysSimulation/status/1703490536441561445

lostech of the 21st century: shaping thick hardened steel

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
They should do the arctic ice breaker's maintenance in the summer imo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Danann posted:

Reality has gone beyond satire and reached escape velocity

500excf type r posted:

They should do the arctic ice breaker's maintenance in the summer imo

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Danann posted:

Jesus Christ

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mycomancy posted:

Jesus Christ

They could just contract the Chinese to do it for less than half the price.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Danann posted:

thread title

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

oh no I saw some Chinese tourists fishing over there!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr. China is helping me find my jet

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
China, if you’re listening — I hope you are able to find the 30,000 f35s that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press. Let’s see if that happens.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Danann posted:

found a not-paywalled article from earlier this year and lol, lmao

https://www.highnorthnews.com/en/new-us-icebreaker-delayed-until-2027-russia-orders-6th-and-7th-nuclear-icebreaker

quote:

The 46-year old Polar Star, the Coast Guard’s only heavy icebreaker, is nearing the end of its useful service life and relies on its out-of-service sister ship Polar Sea for spare parts.

quote:

While the US Coast Guard appears at least four years away from completing its first new icebreaker in 25 years, Russia’s main operator of icebreakers, Rosatomflot, continues working on expanding its already substantial capabilities in the region. Last week it signed a contract for the construction of the sixth and seventh nuclear icebreakers of the Arktika-class.
The two vessels are intended for delivery in December 2028 and December 2030.
Three nuclear vessels of the type have been launched and are operating already. Two additional ones, Yakutia and Chukotka will follow in December 2024 and December 2026.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Canada and Denmark will protect America

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

"unlike the perfect and capable american free market, the russian state is incapable of complicated technology" says the lucky propagandist who is speaking to an incurious and largely illiterate audience.

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 13:35 on Sep 18, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The nuke powered icebreakers are some of the coolest machines ever imo

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cao Ni Ma posted:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I love all the replies in that icebreaker post that are like "but I thought the ice caps were melting? Checkmate climate change!!!"

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it gets even better

about the decade old icebreaker they want to buy for $150 million dollars (it cost $200 to build) and then spend years refitting:

wikipedia posted:

...it was also concluded that the likely cause for Aiviq's loss of main engine power was sea water in the fuel oil. After the casualty, sea water contamination was found in settling tanks, day tanks, main engine primary filters and main engine injectors. The design of the vessel allowed considerable amount of sea water to enter the stern deck and subsequently to the fuel oil tanks through overflow vents in heavy weather. There were also problems with fuel management practices onboard Aiviq.[38]

wow, why would the coast guard want this hunk of junk?

wikipedia posted:

On 14 May 2015, US Congressman Duncan Hunter of California, began advocating for the acquisition of Aiviq by the US Coast Guard (USCG) due to an availability gap caused by USCG's deactivation of the icebreaker USCGC Polar Sea.[40] USCG repeatedly turned down Hunter's continued proposals, citing the vessel's unsuitability for military operations and being less-capable than USCGC Healy, with Coast Guard Admiral Charles Michel stating Aiviq is "Not suitable for military service without substantial refit. [...] We have very specific requirements for our vessels, including international law requirements for assertion of things like navigation rights. This vessel does not just break ice."[40][41]

Controversy arose after it was published that Congressman Hunter had received campaign funding from Aiviq's owner, Edison Chouest Offshore, and contributors connected to the owner, six days before initially advocating the vessel's sale to USCG.[42] Edison Chouest's contributions to Hunter have made them the congressman's second largest donor.[43] The company's donations came as Congressman Hunter was under investigation for misuse of campaign funds.[44] On 12 July 2016, Hunter's advocacy for the vessel's acquisition was joined by US Congressman Don Young of Alaska.[45] Aiviq's owner was Congressman Young's largest campaign donor at that time.[46]

:capitalism:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo it's the vaping gamer congressman

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Lol is this real? How did they lose a whole plane??

Well, it's a stealth plane - you're not supposed to find it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Canada and Denmark will protect America

that's right

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cao Ni Ma posted:

have you thought about a trillion per year military is actually too poor to conduct plane searches

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Digital Jedi posted:

Finders keepers I say

By the maritime law of the right to salvage I hereby claim this F-35 for the Kingdom of Neptune and all who dwell within.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

"unlike the perfect and capable american free market, the russian state is incapable of complicated technology" says the luckily propagandist who is speaking to an incurious and largely illiterate audience.

:agreed:
I present to you exhibit A of more than we can fit in this courtoom. I just like the presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVNb-JG6juo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
good news for the airplane:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

air force putting "have you seen this jet" on the milk cartons

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

It should work like a Tesla right? Has anyone just looked in the hanger?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean it couldn't have made it far, an F-35 has, what, 15 minutes of fuel?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

bad news for any muslim weddings taking place within the plane's operational range

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the air force is bringing in the best people to look for the jet: The Profiler, The Mentalist, and Tim Roth's character from Lie to Me to track it down

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
just have the bird thread flip over some cards, simple as

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean it couldn't have made it far, an F-35 has, what, 15 minutes of fuel?

unironically just about the only good thing they managed to do with f-35 is that it has some supercruise capability, once it gets to mach 1.2 it can turn off the afterburner and will stay at 1.2 for a long time

not as impressive as a concorde, but still a pretty good achievement for post-2000s lockheed i bet

so really, it could be loving anywhere lmfao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

I love all the replies in that icebreaker post that are like "but I thought the ice caps were melting? Checkmate climate change!!!"

Icebergs melting is the reason Russia and China spending so much in the arctic and new northern sea port to get in on the arctic sea route early.

If the Biden's infrastructure PPT projects are real they would have spent the infrastructure money on a competing arctic route.

Both Russia and China are lookin at this from the business angle and the US is still looking at it from the military/patraling angle.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 14:50 on Sep 18, 2023

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Danann posted:

lmao

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Icebergs melting is the reason Russia and China spending so much in the arctic and new northern sea port to get in on the arctic sea route early.

If the Biden's infrastructure PPT projects are real they would have spent the infrastructure money on a competing arctic route.

Both Russia and China are lookin at this from the business angle and the US is still looking at it from the military/patraling angle.

yeah and climate change opening up those routes means we need ice breakers more not less, since we'll be trying to run shipping through partially iced seas more frequently

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i hope that missing f35 is still out there flying and having the time of its life and going on whacky adventures

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just want to point out that it was almost certainly not flying supersonic, if only because the pilot survived ejection. Flying slow, and with the aerodynamic drag caused by the missing canopy, even if it had a stable regime of flight (why bail out at all then?), it probably did not get far. Which you would think makes it easier to find, but alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

yellowcar posted:

i hope that missing f35 is still out there flying and having the time of its life and going on whacky adventures

Maybe it will have a healthier life on its own in the wild?