Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Morbid Fiesta posted:

:barf:

I have nipples overseer can you milk me?

I bet you can't even tell which one is me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Starfield gave me the urge to get back into Fallout 4 and I've been having an absolute blast. I'm currently using a very silly VATS melee build where my giant power armoured dude teleports around hitting people with a heavily modded slugger.

I'm thinking of starting a survival game with a settlement heavy focus next.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Sim Settlements 2 adds so much meat to that, it really makes it into a pretty deep and engrossing management game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How's Horizon these days?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Further Reading posted:

Starfield gave me the urge to get back into Fallout 4 and I've been having an absolute blast.

Jesus, is Starfield really that dire?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I played like 20 hours, could barely hit 60fps on my 3080, and the game is like plain unbuttered toast, just zero character and wow moments, and I beat the campaign. This is all IMO.

So I installed a modded fallout 4 and Skyrim install and am having a blast with those.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

Jesus, is Starfield really that dire?

I wouldn't say its dire but it's certainly not great. I'd rate it between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it runs like poo poo but the new game shine is still on it so if you say that people just tell you to buy a new computer

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

starfield is fine

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

From what I've played, I've enjoyed it. Most of the my problems is skill issue - I can only play on cloud gaming, which requires using a controler, and I only play with a controler once every few years so it's a Nightmare to do anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
as someone that's only just managed to learn how to build a shack in FO4, how elaborate can you make your CAMP in FO76?

and if the public server boots your CAMP and you have to place it again, what happens to all the things you already built up? Do you get refunded the materials?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

as someone that's only just managed to learn how to build a shack in FO4, how elaborate can you make your CAMP in FO76?

and if the public server boots your CAMP and you have to place it again, what happens to all the things you already built up? Do you get refunded the materials?

Unfortunately the C.A.M.P. structure budget isn't very large, so you have to get creative. You can just relog until it dumps you in a server where the spot isn't taken.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4BrJY8fEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYBvUx9lBw

You can do some pretty bonkers things (alas, you'd need Fallout 1st Worlds for some of it)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Further Reading posted:

Starfield gave me the urge to get back into Fallout 4 and I've been having an absolute blast. I'm currently using a very silly VATS melee build where my giant power armoured dude teleports around hitting people with a heavily modded slugger.

I'm thinking of starting a survival game with a settlement heavy focus next.

Starting off with high strength and endurance is a loving cheat code. You can kill deathclaws with a slugger pretty early on with that build.

I still don't get the hate over FO4. It's just not for people who are into heavy RP or complicated combat, but it's endless entertainment if you're into building tree houses and converting overpasses into live/work/play developments.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I am also playing some F4 again and I am pretty happy with my LUCK heavy guy

LUCK has the most fallout-y perks, like mysterious stranger, bloody mess and idiot savant. The increased number of legendary monsters spices up the playthrough a bit as well. Of course after I perk into gunslinger I find an explosive shotgun :negative:

also aiming is for chumps, I chill on my couch eating chips and let VATS do the work

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

it's endless entertainment if you're into building tree houses and converting overpasses into live/work/play developments.

gradenko_2000 posted:

continuing my Fallout 4 playthrough, in Sanctuary, I took one of the completely ruined houses and scrapped it, and then placed the cooking station, the weapons workbench, and the armor workbench on the flat concrete foundation left behind

it had been like this for a few days, but I was looking at it and thought that it seemed kinda lazy to just have it all laying out like that, so I started putting down walls around the foundation, and then a door, and a roof

once I had done that, I was like... well, nobody wants to stay in a completely bare room, so I put down a bed, a sofa (that's really just three airplane seats put together), a dining table, and some chairs around the table

I was feeling rather pleased with myself, but then, while I was scrapping some junk, Piper walks into the room, sits down on the chair I placed next to the dining table, and takes a drink

in the back of my mind I know this is extremely simplistic behavior, but the other part of me is completely blown away

sheesh, what a game

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

tadashi posted:

Starting off with high strength and endurance is a loving cheat code. You can kill deathclaws with a slugger pretty early on with that build.

I still don't get the hate over FO4. It's just not for people who are into heavy RP or complicated combat, but it's endless entertainment if you're into building tree houses and converting overpasses into live/work/play developments.

I... did you mean to answer your own question?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

tadashi posted:

Funnily enough both my endurance and strength are low - strength 4 and endurance 1. Other points were agility 9, intelligence 9 and luck 3. I spend my points like blitz > big leagues > blacksmith > armourer > science > luck to get next of better critical, critical banker, grim reaper.

One thing I realised I was really missing from starfield is build diversity. Sure in fallout 4 you level so much that you can pivot later game and end up a jack of all trades, but like even switching build can revitalise a run a bit. Plus you can have pretty different starts - I'm doing a stealth sniper with a settlement focus for survival and I'm approaching the early content so differently that it doesn't feel repetitive. I noticed that a lot of the interesting starfield perks for combat are late into the tree, so you seem to start off pretty samey and maaaaybe later you play differently.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sim Settlements takes that and multiplies it by a few hundred, it adds so much crunchy micromanagement poo poo to settlement building and recruiting and job assignment and cultivation of your little computer people :swoon:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4BrJY8fEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYBvUx9lBw

You can do some pretty bonkers things (alas, you'd need Fallout 1st Worlds for some of it)

As long I can do stuff like this I'm good without it. For now, at least. :catbert:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I only started playing '76 about 4-5 months ago, but spent a thousand+ hours in FO4 building settlements. Fortunately it's a slow day at work. Here's my major take aways on FO76 player homes:

1) The asset limit / build budget is still in place, and it's more restrictive than in FO4. You can build a large house but you'll probably be out of budget by the time it comes to start decorating it. I frequently refer to a Spreadsheet that classes each CAMP object as its budget weight - which is measured in "Flamingo Units".

2) When you find your perfect area and place down the CAMP device, it creates a sphere roughly 10-11 platforms in width at the widest part of the circle. In other words, the absolute largest build-footprint you can layout is a cross of platforms on the ground, about 10-11 platforms long and wide down the center. You'll lose a few platforms worth of length/width at the corners as you won't be able to fit those platforms into the circular/spherical CAMP boundary.

3) Remember I said it generates your CAMP boundary as a sphere? A good trick is building upwards or downwards, and giving your CAMP multiple levels. It can be tricky early on when all you have are basic walls and floors, but there are some single-piece prefab homes available to be unlocked or purchased that can add a lot of verticality to your CAMP. I built my CAMP on top of a railroad bridge, and have the entire area beneath the bridge to mess with, as well as the bridge itself, and then my house on top of it. Multiple levels makes your CAMP look much bigger than it actually is.

4) When building a structure, you can only place certain "foundation" pieces directly on the ground, and everything else can only be built on top of these foundations. Very few items can be placed freehand on the ground, and every piece needs to snap to each other at some place. You can't just tack on some stairs to a wall all willy nilly like in FO4 - you need to begin each floor of your building with stairs connecting from a lower level foundation piece, and if you want to change something on a lower floor, you might need to completely remove the upper floor to do it.

5) There's no decorating like in FO4 (and Starfield) where you can just "drop" items from your inventory and have them permanently shown in the world. FO76 instead gives you Floor and Wall Decoration parts, which typically will be larger displays or storage shelves or framed paintings or whathaveyou. This means early player-homes will look very sparse until you start learning plans for cool stuff, and it's common for beginners to build a much larger house than they need or can actually fill.

6) Because of 5) above, you don't lose anything if you change CAMPs or servers. If someone gets upset with you or you build your CAMP in a hostile area, you might find it hit with a nuclear bomb - the absolute worst that can happen is you will need to spend a portion of the materials rebuilding your CAMP - not piece by piece or anything, you won't need to replace each piece by hand or anything... but it can be a pain.

This got way too long, sorry for the wall of text. I've seen CAMPs that look like the Sistine Chapel and I've seen CAMPs where it's literally just 100 decorations dropped randomly onto the terrain. The only limits are your imagination, your materials on hand, and learning to work within the confines of the archaic FO76 build-system. (which is actually pretty limiting tbh!)

Otacon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 20, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

NB: extra CAMP site slots is one of the few things I thought it was worthwhile to get from the atom shop, with the amount I gathered just playing; if your CAMP slot is blocked and you don't want to change servers for some reason you can just load your other CAMP.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
If you don't like building stuff, you can just plop down a bed and your essential workstations/containers on the ground somewhere.
Doesn't make a lick of difference honestly.

If your spot is occupied on server login, either hop to another server or take the free move (do not do this with a complicated build, dear god)
With the free move, all your stuff is stored and you can just redeploy it for free in a new place.
You can do that piece by piece, or theoretically as a blueprint of the whole thing but that one has never ever worked for me.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I have a nice camp location... except it's also a spawn point for random critters like chickens and frogs. Which means if I try to fast travel away I have to wait for the countdown to finish because those things count as "enemies" I guess.

But I do get to see Grandma Junko go mental on some radstags occasionally. On the downside one time I came home to find several dead cats in my living room.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Another thing I do when we have to do the daily/weekly "capture a workshop" in 76, I have a blueprint of a 1x2 platform with every passive resource collector (coffee machine, Nuka candy machines, wood pile etc), a Nukatron robot, stash/scrap/ammo boxes and a couple of turrets placed on top. Then when I take a workshop, I plop down the blueprint and I'm automatically gathering resources and it's partially already defended with the turrets. Popping back over to the workshop every 20 min or so can net quite a bit of passive useful loot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I posted this in the FO4 modding thread but I think it's a big enough deal to post here as well, for any that don't watch the modding thread:

Flesh Forge posted:

Gamebryo's Papyrus scripting engine has a hard limit of 100 operations per script. A lot of script-heavy mods (particularly Sim Settlements/Sim Settlements 2) make the game crash very frequently when the number of scripts starts getting up there, e.g. when you have a settlement with tons of plots. There's a mod that expands this (by default to 500, up to 2000 is recommended but you can make it whatever number you want) and it has made my game dramatically more stable, if you have this kind of problem you might want to check it out:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/73774

While it seems to be safe to add it mid game, removing it after a bunch of scripts are running that depend on it may not be.

Really cannot overstate what a difference this mod has made for me, I would get to a point where the game just got super un-fun to play because it would crash so often and this has helped immensely. This and the dodge roll mod (another pretty recent one) have made FO4 feel like an entirely new game for me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can't really find a reliable answer on the internet, so I figured I might as well ask here: since a private world in FO76 goes poof if nobody's in it after about 10 minutes or something, does that mean the new private world that gets created when you come back is restocked with enemies and junk and drops?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't really find a reliable answer on the internet, so I figured I might as well ask here: since a private world in FO76 goes poof if nobody's in it after about 10 minutes or something, does that mean the new private world that gets created when you come back is restocked with enemies and junk and drops?

The last 255 placed items you've picked up won't be there, but yes the entire world resets and restocks.

For instance, if you grabbed all the Nuka Colas from the frat house, you'd need to pick up 255 other items before a new world would allow you to grab those same Nuka Colas again.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
I am playing fallout 4 and I ate Shaun, my kid, who has cancer because I hate the institute that much. This, however, has locked me out of the institute and I would really like to return to it so that I can kill even more people. I understand that the minutemen can get back in there but I really want to destroy the institute with liberty prime. I am wondering if I can go along with the minutemen route and then fail the quest "the nuclear option" on purpose so that I can also destroy the institute with liberty prime? I want to beat them up twice. If it's possible what consequences would I experience (most of them are fine with me I don't care about the minutemen that much).

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

LuxuryLarva posted:

I am playing fallout 4 and I ate Shaun, my kid, who has cancer because I hate the institute that much. This, however, has locked me out of the institute and I would really like to return to it so that I can kill even more people. I understand that the minutemen can get back in there but I really want to destroy the institute with liberty prime. I am wondering if I can go along with the minutemen route and then fail the quest "the nuclear option" on purpose so that I can also destroy the institute with liberty prime? I want to beat them up twice. If it's possible what consequences would I experience (most of them are fine with me I don't care about the minutemen that much).

I think if you follow the brotherhood questline they'll ask you to exploit the minutemen when it comes time to attack the institute.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: the Papyrus max task increase mod, yeah okay I am hitting a stage where I'm having some stability problems, so it's not infinite capacity, but trying to squeeze 45 settlers and 100+ SS2 plots into one settlement is maybe asking too much. It's still night and day different from trying to play without this mod though, what a huge difference!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Well I did it. For the first time, I completed a season. :banjo:

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Nice.
This season was kind of lackluster with rewards, though the cryo freezer and a couple of the building kits are nice.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Presto posted:

Well I did it. For the first time, I completed a season. :banjo:

I gave up :unsmith:
After unlocking the final legendary trait, exhausting the sbq's drop table and soloing over a dozen silos, the game just runs out of road.
No idea how anyone gets to lvl 1000+, especially on PC where almost no one uses voice comms and there's no chat to build any community.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Wee Bairns posted:

Nice.
This season was kind of lackluster with rewards, though the cryo freezer and a couple of the building kits are nice.

Except the freezer was a Fallout 1st reward. Which I don't have.

And yeah, I don't get the lack of a text chat. There's even an in-game rationale for it -- we're communicating over Vault-Tec Short-range Pip-boy Relay System (VSPRS) or something.

Presto fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 6, 2023

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
There's Discord and an actual Text Chat mod. Both work well enough.

I'm assuming Beth doesn't want to bother with in game chat because it needs to be moderated.

I had hopes for MS doing something about this but, well, here we are.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Patch today:

https://old.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/174mnhc/october_10_2023_patch_notes/

I was hoping these would have been included today, but since not, here's some stuff that's been reported as fixed on the PTS that should be included with Dec 5's New Season:

--Elemental & DoT effects are now correctly affected by damage perks (i.e., Poison & Bleed weapons)

--Energy/fire damage from turrets, robots and anglers is fixed, Fireproof is again working correctly

--Legendary Creatures now drop Legendary items based off their rank. For example, 3* Legendary creatures now drop 3* items.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1716468771521434080

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm honestly rather intrigued by this show, I really hope the writing/story can live up to the quality of the drat impressive leaked set designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I just hope they really lean into the 1950s sci-fi B-movie schlock aspect