Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Kilometers Davis posted:

My issue with physical games is that the experience of the media itself is the exact same in the moment of playing. Physical books are their own thing, records are records. While there’s nothing wrong with experiencing those things in other digital forms they’re just simply not the same experience. With games you’re getting the exact same media with absolutely no difference. I do in general prefer real, tangible things, but once you get into the digital and physical versions being a 1:1 experience I kind of lose the drive to stay physical. That said keep fighting the real fight and supporting things that you can actually physically have and touch!

It's definitely different with movies/TV shows though. I always buy physical media for my favorite video content. Blu-rays/4K discs always have much better picture and audio quality than streaming. Streamers have to compress the poo poo out of everything so that the vast majority of their customers will have high enough throughput to watch it.

Properly done discs have 5x to 10x the video bitrate of streaming. This makes the quality extremely noticeably better. The biggest difference is in any scenes that take place in the dark. On disc, unlit areas look exactly like they should. On streaming, unlit areas have wild pixelation in various shades of black and gray. It looks hideous.

Discs also have much audio quality than streaming. Most blu-rays/4K discs have HD audio, which most streamers don't have. Streamers almost always use very basic lossy, low quality surround sound.

I mainly buy my games on PSN and download them because it's a lot easier to deal with. However, I purposely paid the extra money to get the PS5 model with an optical drive so that I can use it as a 4K disc player.

In short, physical media rules! I buy a ton of it and I encourage everyone to do so if you care at all about picture/audio quality for your favorite movies/TV shows. Griping about it killing the planet is odd and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
What is the goon consensus on Lies of P? The last Soulslike I played was Code Vein, which totally engrossed me. Excellent game

Of course, I had the misfortune of buying it about two months before Sony made it one of the monthly PS+ games :negative:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's not out yet but general reviewer consensus is that as far as souls imitators go it's one of the best. i liked it from the demo alone, definitely moreso than code vein

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It's out if you paid $10 bucks for 72-hour early access. Which is the dumbest new gimmick that many publishers are pursuing but I was sick and bored on a Sunday night, so I did it. I guess the scheme works.

I only got 5 hours in and the game is supposed to be 30-40 hours long, so it's early to draw a conclusion, but I love it so far. It's ticking all the boxes for something I want from a Souls game. In some aspects better than some of the actual From titles. I was hoping for it to be on par with The Surge 2, a title that was rough around the edges but brought enough to level design and combat nuance to be enjoyable, but it's very much exceeded that thus far.

I think a lot of the thread regulars have decided to forego playing the game all together, so I don't know how much of an informed forum consensus there will be. General reviews are all positive though, ranging from "Pretty good tribute" to "on par with From's best."

If you want a way to calculate how likely my opinion will align with yours, I play Souls games for the ambiance and exploration first and the combat second. I think Nioh 2 has the best combat in the sub-genre, Dark Souls the best level design, and Bloodborne the best ~mood~ (I think Sekiro is too different for a comparison, otherwise it would take top place in the latter two criteria and be a strong rival for the first).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bugblatter posted:

It's out if you paid $10 bucks for 72-hour early access. Which is the dumbest new gimmick that many publishers are pursuing but I was sick and bored on a Sunday night, so I did it. I guess the scheme works.

A handful of games have done this for a long while if I’m not mistaken, but suddenly the floodgates opened this year and every other title is doing it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Rinkles posted:

A handful of games have done this for a long while if I’m not mistaken, but suddenly the floodgates opened this year and every other title is doing it.

Ah, the first time I recall hearing about it was Hogwarts at the beginning of the year and I thought it was ridiculous… but yeah in months since it seems to have become common practice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah it's been a thing for a long time. The first I remember seeing it was Deus Ex Mankind Divided which had a 3-day early launch as the final reward of their ill-concieved "Augment Your Pre-order" campaign. It's become a standard thing for the special edition or digital deluxe edition or whatever they call the expensive version of a game. Microsoft have seized on it as a way to drive extra money from the people who just play their games on Game Pass by saying pay us an extra $30 and you can play it a week before the rest of the plebs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I almost get the early access for multiplayer games but for when it's just a single player game it feels extra scummy, like it's the crassest psychological manipulation

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I am still singing it to myself constantly.

Doomed, detected, and caught!

It's so incredibly self indulgent and I love it to death.

"We need this character to have a voice actor who can sing."

"Why?"

"Because at the end of an optional 90 hour side quest he's going to start singing during his boss fight like this is The Nightmare Before Christmas.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, the first time I recall hearing about it was Hogwarts at the beginning of the year and I thought it was ridiculous… but yeah in months since it seems to have become common practice.

Ghostwire did it. I watched a goon stream early access gameplay for an hour or so and thought "this looks awesome, I can't wait to see where it goes" and slapped buy.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

Ghostwire did it. I watched a goon stream early access gameplay for an hour or so and thought "this looks awesome, I can't wait to see where it goes" and slapped buy.

Oh no.

I enjoyed playing it for free on PS+ just because they realized Shibuya so well and the techno-folktale ambiance was fantastic... but otherwise that game was noooot great. I would have been far more negative toward it if I'd paid money.

Although one of my most memorable moments playing games this year was when I went into Shibuya Station and thought "gently caress I always get lost in here" and a moment later my character said essentially the same thing (Fortunately, they block off enough of the station that it isn't nearly as much of a maze as in real life).

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 18, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You could see its effectiveness in real time in the Starfield thread, as people were one by one growing impatient and hyping themselves up into an early purchase. Naturally, before reviews dropped.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Bugblatter posted:

Oh no.

I enjoyed playing it for free on PS+ just because they realized Shibuya so well and the techno-folktale ambiance was fantastic... but otherwise that game was noooot great. I would have been far more negative toward it if I'd paid money.

Although one of my most memorable moments playing games this year was when I went into Shibuya Station and thought "gently caress I always get lost in here" and a moment later my character said essentially the same thing (Fortunately, they block off enough of the station that it isn't nearly as much of a maze as in real life).

Yup, I think I would have adored it for free. For ~$80 USD on the deluxe edition, 'oh no' is apt. It had some really cool bits, traversal through Shibuya was enjoyable enough and it was a nice game for watching a show on the side, just felt like it should have had more meat to it with the release price of the base game.

When I played, you could hear tengus pretty much everywhere; did they ever patch that down?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Yup, I think I would have adored it for free. For ~$80 USD on the deluxe edition, 'oh no' is apt. It had some really cool bits, traversal through Shibuya was enjoyable enough and it was a nice game for watching a show on the side, just felt like it should have had more meat to it with the release price of the base game.

When I played, you could hear tengus pretty much everywhere; did they ever patch that down?

i didn't notice it when i played it post-patch, but the whole thing was so numbing that my memories might be faulty

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I didn't notice any audio issues when I played. Input latency was bad and I think that was never fixed. The most damning thing was that the combat was so bare bones and the gameplay loop so repetitive. There was another huge patch after I played that retooled the combat and added in perfect dodges that maaaaybe improved things?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
BG3 is so good when you think you've got something pegged and it blooms out into a direction you didn't expect and at a scale that was unimaginable.
I thought I was done with the underdark...
This is the last thing I think I am going in act 1 - everything up top that can be done is boxed off and only the mountain pass with the warning to wrap things up is left.

It's all very good!
Also amazing how clearing out your inventory fixes combat getting buggy. There's a real threshold of poo poo you can carry in this game.

E: I normally play videogames for about 10-15 hours a week, tops. I've put 40 hours into BG3 in 10 days. That's kind of an insane number for me, it's the most I've ever made time for a single game.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 18, 2023

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I just had BG3 break really hard in a way I hadn't seen so far. I was looting a room and accidentally talked to Shadowheart except she wasn't there (I think a statue was in the way maybe) but I carried out the conversation anyway since she actually had something to say. After it ended she was back but then I couldn't interact with anything, couldn't open stuff, or rather I think the UI box wasn't showing up. I switch the Shadowheart to see if it's just me and suddenly her dialogue options are at the bottom of the screen but it's still letting me walk around sorta. Up and down cycled through the options but I couldn't select any or interact with anything else, could just move left or right. So I try to switch back but I can't interact with the L2 party menu except to split Shadowheart off and then somehow unselect her, and then none of the buttons did anything and I was in control of no one. Game wasn't frozen but I still had to close it from the PS5 menu and lost like 20 minutes. Haven't tried it again but I'm hoping it was a one off.

I'm also in what I hope to be the last section of act 1 before finishing it off, my inventory is pretty full for my character, the others have their equipment and like maybe 10 more things at most. I have a pouch with about 25 kg of potions in it and another with scrolls that's much lighter, I'm not sure if the compartmentalization is helping or not. I think I'll just send most of it to camp, but it's nice having some things just in case.

cubicle gangster posted:

E: I normally play videogames for about 10-15 hours a week, tops. I've put 40 hours into BG3 in 10 days. That's kind of an insane number for me, it's the most I've ever made time for a single game.

I'm honestly not sure I've played a game that just obliterates time like this. I'm 54 hours into it and have started trying to keep track of the time as I play and it'll go alright for a bit and then I'll lose 4 hours. The first time I played it I started in the early afternoon and stopped at sunrise which was confusing because I was almost certain it was 9pm.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 18, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

BG3 is so good when you think you've got something pegged and it blooms out into a direction you didn't expect and at a scale that was unimaginable.
I thought I was done with the underdark...
This is the last thing I think I am going in act 1 - everything up top that can be done is boxed off and only the mountain pass with the warning to wrap things up is left.

It's all very good!
Also amazing how clearing out your inventory fixes combat getting buggy. There's a real threshold of poo poo you can carry in this game.

The other night I used magic to talk to a cat, who asked me to kill the rats in the cellar under a kitchen for him. I obliged and after doing what I thought would be a 30 second detour, found a secret door in the cellar, which lead me to a secret Gith hideout and ultimately the entire sewer system of Baldurs gate. 3 hours later I realized I had no idea what the hell I was originally planning on doing in the game for that night. This kind of stuff just happens all the time.

"Oooh what's in this trap door? treasure chest maybe. Might as well take a peek...(4 hours later I stumble out of a cave onto a beach with my party almost dead)

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 18, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Well, with knocking Chrono Cross on the head and after a slight detour to take in the Star Ocean 2 demo we are ready to announce the next game of the

There have been a slew of newly announced games lately and the one that caught most of our eyes was that of a new SaGa game! With that in mind I am happy to say that the next game in our Year of the RPG from Japan celebration is...!!!!

22. SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions!!!!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am at the point of no return in Horizon Forbidden West and am now doing all the side stuff I missed and exploration stuff and whatnot before I complete it and then start the burning shores.

This has been a really great game. Some beats of the story are great and it has kept me on my toes. Mechanically it ups everything about Zero Dawn. The fighting is more agressive, there are more things to do in the heat of battle (even if it took me 50 hours to actually remember to use a Valour Surge) that keep making you feel as powerful as the bots, and it is the most beautiful realistic* game that I have played (*because some pixel games and other kinds of aesthetics I think are even cooler than realism).

A sequel to this was always going to be tough living up to some of the story reveals of the first and I personally had no clue how to make a sequel to it. Again, just like with TLOUII, I have been shown how.

If they could make perhaps a small side game that is nothing but Aloy delving and exploring (much like a game I would want where Lara only ever explores Tombs and have no combat) then I would be made. Going back into the ruins is by far my favourite part hands down.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rinkles posted:

This is on reviewers to firm up and shut this practice down. They have all the leverage of dismissing new games when it takes a year to fix them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fix posted:

This is on reviewers to firm up and shut this practice down. They have all the leverage of dismissing new games when it takes a year to fix them.

Hmm? We’re talking about “deluxe editions” literally being available to play 72 hours before standard editions. Not games being unfinished or buggy.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
You should all be playing mk1 early instead

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Hmm? We’re talking about “deluxe editions” literally being available to play 72 hours before standard editions. Not games being unfinished or buggy.

Or nearly a week in the case of Starfield, well before reviews hit.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bugblatter posted:

Other direction. I think more review outfits need to be more in depth with long term development plans, since those leaks are what's happening anyways. We get eighteen months of streaming service fighter crossover, but none of that knows what that means, and none of it seems to have to do with Mortal Kombat.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm not quite following, but I think it's a different topic altogether?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sorry. I'm being obtuse. What the gently caress is Omniman doing in Mortal Kombat while they're trying to navigate half of the cast?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fix posted:

Sorry. I'm being obtuse. What the gently caress is Omniman doing in Mortal Kombat while they're trying to navigate half of the cast?

Printing money for WB

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VG posted:

I am at the point of no return in Horizon Forbidden West and am now doing all the side stuff I missed and exploration stuff and whatnot before I complete it and then start the burning shores.

This has been a really great game. Some beats of the story are great and it has kept me on my toes. Mechanically it ups everything about Zero Dawn. The fighting is more agressive, there are more things to do in the heat of battle (even if it took me 50 hours to actually remember to use a Valour Surge) that keep making you feel as powerful as the bots, and it is the most beautiful realistic* game that I have played (*because some pixel games and other kinds of aesthetics I think are even cooler than realism).

A sequel to this was always going to be tough living up to some of the story reveals of the first and I personally had no clue how to make a sequel to it. Again, just like with TLOUII, I have been shown how.

If they could make perhaps a small side game that is nothing but Aloy delving and exploring (much like a game I would want where Lara only ever explores Tombs and have no combat) then I would be made. Going back into the ruins is by far my favourite part hands down.

It's a fantastic game, they actually managed to make both the present tense story and the past tense story deliver on equal footing. No easy task. And yeah, the moment to moment gameplay and audiovisual splendor are just intense. Veegy, I love that we both seem to come from the Tomb Raider gaming lineage of walking into a puzzlebox room, looking around, and just salivating. Puzzleroom stuff like Portal, Mirror's Edge, and even much of Atomic Heart just hits me on cellular level, and the environmental puzzles in HFW were the same way.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

kirbysuperstar posted:

Printing money for WB

I mean that remains to be seen. Six months from now they're just going to fire more people.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fix posted:

I mean that remains to be seen. Six months from now they're just going to fire more people.

WB do that anyway and then give their execs big bonuses for cutting spending, regardless of any sales data

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I love that we both seem to come from the Tomb Raider gaming lineage of walking into a puzzlebox room, looking aroun---

"I bet I could solve this puzzle by pulling that crate down with my pullcaster!"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's a fantastic game, they actually managed to make both the present tense story and the past tense story deliver on equal footing. No easy task. And yeah, the moment to moment gameplay and audiovisual splendor are just intense. Veegy, I love that we both seem to come from the Tomb Raider gaming lineage of walking into a puzzlebox room, looking around, and just salivating. Puzzleroom stuff like Portal, Mirror's Edge, and even much of Atomic Heart just hits me on cellular level, and the environmental puzzles in HFW were the same way.

We are puzzow men through and through and through :D

The reason tomb raider 1 is so incredibly good is because it is mostly exploration of a lost culture and when Horizon is doing that same thing it sings. And it sings so much because it is basically our culture that has been lost. We have that knowing wink for every ancient chimes found, or ancient bracelet. We know more than Aloy but we never feel above her. We instead get pulled along into her world and her view of what our items could be. Ultimately a watch is a bracelet and keys can make lovely chimes. There is no lie there, just a nice simplistic viewpoint.

Misunderstanding, or reinterpretation of past cultures through a character where I can also draw my own parallels and thoughts is what captivates me in these post apocalyptic games. My second favourite film of all time is about an adventuring Archeaologist. My first and third favourite games ever are about you uncovering what happened long before you got there. I have a huge affinity for discovery and illumination. Mysteries and solving crimes and law cases. This is my home in gaming.

Give me that every single day and I will be content. :)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

kirbysuperstar posted:

WB do that anyway and then give their execs big bonuses for cutting spending, regardless of any sales data

Were there a lot of Invincible sales? What did they sell?

You might recognize this argument from most of the cast of Mortal Kombat One.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 18, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VG posted:

We are puzzow men through and through and through :D

The reason tomb raider 1 is so incredibly good is because it is mostly exploration of a lost culture and when Horizon is doing that same thing it sings. And it sings so much because it is basically our culture that has been lost. We have that knowing wink for every ancient chimes found, or ancient bracelet. We know more than Aloy but we never feel above her. We instead get pulled along into her world and her view of what our items could be. Ultimately a watch is a bracelet and keys can make lovely chimes. There is no lie there, just a nice simplistic viewpoint.

Misunderstanding, or reinterpretation of past cultures through a character where I can also draw my own parallels and thoughts is what captivates me in these post apocalyptic games. My second favourite film of all time is about an adventuring Archeaologist. My first and third favourite games ever are about you uncovering what happened long before you got there. I have a huge affinity for discovery and illumination. Mysteries and solving crimes and law cases. This is my home in gaming.

Give me that every single day and I will be content. :)

For me it's a bit more spacial, two examples of gaming nirvana for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbOooIXRPK0&t=54s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ42B4ZKSQ&t=311s

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 18, 2023

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I vow to play this game in the next year. Start the clock. This time by September 18th 2024, I will have played Mirror's Edge catalyst.

(I did not watch these videos, I just saw they were both from Mirror's Edge).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VG posted:

I vow to play this game in the next year. Start the clock. This time by September 18th 2024, I will have played Mirror's Edge catalyst.

Play them first on PC if you can for easier look/parkour with mouse and keyboard imo

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Octopath Traveller 2 kicked my rear end for the first time with the Agnea chapter 2 boss. I was holding on by the skin of my teeth but I got overwhelmed in the end, I think 2 of the party members that joined last are a bit too low level for this one. I didn't expect bosses having this puzzle element to it, though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VG posted:

:slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Fix posted:

Switch version got datamined btw and we know whos/might be in kp2, kp3 and even story expansion stuff lol.

Removes the bad taste of the kp1 characters for myself tbh