Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
This is part of the reason why the XM30 will have a 50mm autocannon. I wish the US would just send another few hundred Bradleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

ukrainian soldier gives some thoughts on the bradley

a lot of it is the stuff we've already heard, the survivability is great compared to soviet equipment, but i picked up on some regret about the 25mm chaingun

Yeah the lack of cannon power on the Bradley has been a complaint for decades now.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Ironically, 25mm APFSDS can still shred a T-72 or T-64. I'd be curious of the newest variants added armor beyond ERA blocks, but I don't think any have.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Ironically, 25mm APFSDS can still shred a T-72 or T-64. I'd be curious of the newest variants added armor beyond ERA blocks, but I don't think any have.

I think they were complaining about range rather than firepower?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I've heard the ability to bust trenches was a big factor in usizing the autocannon. 25mm had trouble moving dirt, despite bonking Soviet tanks just fine.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It does seem like upgrading to at least 30 mm is a good plan for a lot of vehicles moving forward. Apparently the switch between 30 mm and 50 mm is more academic - the Army wants the ability to switch between them easily but it doesn’t necessarily require a whole lot more space. The big concern would be retaining significant ammunition reserves. Giving up practical burst fire capability would be a mistake.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Here's the newest Perun, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctrtAwT2sgs

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

BillsPhoenix posted:

Yes, this is it! Console war is perfect. Society has no issue slapping the term all over.

But we hit ukraine and there's suddenly all these caveats and situations that have to happen for it to be a war.

I don't know how tired people are of this by now but i have to comment on it because you perfectly captured the flaw in your takes with this particular point

It's not that "suddenly there's a bunch of caveats" when you're talking about Ukraine about what makes a war a real war

The caveats are there for every single example. The exact same standards are why nobody's seriously arguing that the console wars are a real actual war because "war" is in the name.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Kaal posted:

It does seem like upgrading to at least 30 mm is a good plan for a lot of vehicles moving forward. Apparently the switch between 30 mm and 50 mm is more academic - the Army wants the ability to switch between them easily but it doesn’t necessarily require a whole lot more space. The big concern would be retaining significant ammunition reserves. Giving up practical burst fire capability would be a mistake.

There is no ammo reserve difference between the 35mm and the 50mm. Because the 50mm is not a proportionally scaled up round, it's the 35mm round necked up to full case width. The APFSDS shot isn't any more powerful, but the HE shell can fit a lot more burst charge, and that won't be compromised nearly as much by using a more complicated fuze.

(50mm APFSDS, 50mm HE, 35mm HE)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The 35mm round definitely looks safer with its flared base

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Cable Guy posted:

They're selling Christmas puddings at my local supermarket already. That boat has sailed.
I was in Germany last year and at the very beginning of September they were selling Christmas breads, if you're looking as to how Halloween was stollen from you.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Groggy nard posted:

I've heard the ability to bust trenches was a big factor in usizing the autocannon. 25mm had trouble moving dirt, despite bonking Soviet tanks just fine.

There's apparently a round type which basically airbursts over trenches which from the testing videos looked terrifying because you could basically just walk it down the line.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I thought that this one was quite interesting.

Especially with regards to the point that it is important for Ukraine to keep up a high tempo of operations in order to ensure that Russian materiel losses keep on being much higher than new production. Currently Russia can keep up to a certain degree by drawing from Soviet era depots, but even those are finite.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

There's apparently a round type which basically airbursts over trenches which from the testing videos looked terrifying because you could basically just walk it down the line.

If it's the one I think you're talking about you rangefind the distance to an object and the shell(s) are programmed to airburst a moment after they're calculated to pass over it. So, for example exploding just past a wall, just inside a window, or over a trench.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Telsa Cola posted:

Air-Burst-Munition capable guns are basically a NATO standard iirc, the Puma can use it too. AHEAD ammo is pretty scary.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Warbadger posted:

If it's the one I think you're talking about you rangefind the distance to an object and the shell(s) are programmed to airburst a moment after they're calculated to pass over it. So, for example exploding just past a wall, just inside a window, or over a trench.

Battlefield 2142 had a weapon that could do it, most people couldn't figure out how to do it but once you did you got so many ragetells and hate for lobbing airbursts behind cover. Especially since that was before they made maps have destructible terrain in that series.

I can only imagine how bowel liquefying terrifying that stuff is to face in the real world.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Kaal posted:

The big concern would be retaining significant ammunition reserves. Giving up practical burst fire capability would be a mistake.

The 50mm auto cannon that the army is interested in is using just a necked up 30mm cartridge so the logistics (size wise at least, it weighs a bit more) are the same as regular 30mm.

The advantage with this approach is that you get more bang (more explosives in 50mm round than 30mm) and you can more easily and cheaply put fancy fuse tech in them for 'smart' rounds for anti air or anti trench work.

The downside is the ballistics (range) won't be any better than 30mm but apparently that doesn't much matter. Or at least they think it doesn't. They're probably right since you'll still have a few km of practical range which is fine for a IFV auto cannon.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The 30mm to 50mm autocannon NATO is deploying or developing have public effective ranges of around 3000m, compared to the public range of around 2000m for 25mm. If you look at the depth of minefields used by Russia in southern Ukraine, you can see why that extra 1000m matters.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

The 30mm to 50mm autocannon NATO is deploying or developing have public effective ranges of around 3000m, compared to the public range of around 2000m for 25mm. If you look at the depth of minefields used by Russia in southern Ukraine, you can see why that extra 1000m matters.

I think it's also notable you can fit a hell of a lot more payload in a single 50mm round than 25mm. And when you're lobbing just a few smart munitions around at a time that's a lot more bang for your buck - given the smart bits are the same either way.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

how much does a smart round cost versus a dummy?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bell_ posted:

I was in Germany last year and at the very beginning of September they were selling Christmas breads, if you're looking as to how Halloween was stollen from you.

I love you.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

how much does a smart round cost versus a dummy?

The XM25 which fires 25mm airburst rounds has a cost of about $25/round, so I think theyre actually a pretty reasonable value proposition considering that once youre buying the 35mm and 50mm shells the electronics cost of the airburst fuzing could actually be a fairly small proportion of the shell cost. Its a very different proposition from the gps guided shells which cost anywhere from 10x to 100x the cost of normal artillery shells -- in theory you could be looking at more like 1.5x the cost of a normal round. If you're paying 50% more but need half as many shots, you would be coming out on top.

Theres also multiple suppliers for 35mm/50mm airburst ammo, though its not clear to me if theyre working on a common standard or not.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The 50mm auto cannon that the army is interested in is using just a necked up 30mm cartridge so the logistics (size wise at least, it weighs a bit more) are the same as regular 30mm.

The advantage with this approach is that you get more bang (more explosives in 50mm round than 30mm) and you can more easily and cheaply put fancy fuse tech in them for 'smart' rounds for anti air or anti trench work.

The downside is the ballistics (range) won't be any better than 30mm but apparently that doesn't much matter. Or at least they think it doesn't. They're probably right since you'll still have a few km of practical range which is fine for a IFV auto cannon.

The 50 mm is a reworked version of the 35 mm cartridge, not the 30 mm. My understanding is that it’s largely an improvement all the way around over the 35 mm - the ammo fires slower but farther, and with greater effect. And the Army has explored a similar program with renecked 40 mm ammo as well. However, the 30 / 40 mm system has roughly twice the ammunition capacity given the same amount of space as the 35 / 50 mm version. So it’s a trade-off for sure. The Army wants to make sure that any IFV is capable of mounting the 50 mm if needed, which is a reasonable requirement. But the actual value comparison seems more debatable. Much like the arguments over the 120 / 130 / 140 mm cannons for MBTs, or even the one over the 5.56 vs. 6.8 mm rifles, there’s both pros and cons in making your guns larger.

https://below-the-turret-ring.blogspot.com/2016/04/bigger-guns-are-not-always-better.html?m=1

https://soapbox.manywords.press/2019/06/04/on-the-xm913-50mm/

https://euro-sd.com/2023/01/articles/29124/medium-calibre-weapons-back-to-the-future/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 18, 2023

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

This is part of the reason why the XM30 will have a 50mm autocannon. I wish the US would just send another few hundred Bradleys.

At this point the Russian response to other countries supplying additional materials to Ukraine has been pretty toothless. I would be thrilled if we could just send every aging armored vehicle to Ukraine to help them out. It would be a huge help to us to not store/sell them to the police and it looks like they are really helpful to Ukrainian service members.

I know there is the optics of $$ that we are sending over to Ukraine, plus the refit & transport costs, but I think the Biden admin should emphasize the cost savings of not having to store/maintain the materials anymore. The only downside I can see to this approach is if America somehow gets into an attritional shooting war,, but that's such a Clancy Chat possibility that I think it can be discounted entirely.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Attach recording devices to gather combat-data for the next design revision and you could probably frame it as value-positive.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

dr_rat posted:

But Halloween isn't even for like a month and a half.

They can't steal Halloween from us like this!!!

Bell_ posted:

The Halloween beachhead has been lost, Christmas has swept through October and the September equinox. Tinsel decorated forces are now invading early September

===

As far as the Kadyrov situation goes, are there any prospective successors? Has Kadyrov named one?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cable Guy posted:

The Halloween beachhead has been lost, Christmas has swept through October and the September equinox. Tinsel decorated forces are now invading early September

The Fourth of July is currently providing security assistance to Labor Day. The gates hold there...for now.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bell_ posted:

This was a very good pun.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Alexey Venediktov (way more reputable leak outlet) reports that Kadyrov has chronic renal failure

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1703699520297607450?t=EYX__sYOl-kUMQTNcJljXg&s=19

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 18, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fatherboxx posted:

Alexey Venediktov (way more reputable leak outlet) reports that Kadyrov has chronic anal failure

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
He is not old, does not drink, and at least prior to the last few years seemed to be active. What are the chances of kidney problems if all that is the case?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dick Ripple posted:

He is not old, does not drink, and at least prior to the last few years seemed to be active. What are the chances of kidney problems if all that is the case?

Does not drink might be a wrong assumption.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Dick Ripple posted:

Yeah, how can a man who breathes with such healthy loudness when he talks be unwell?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

Just because he is muslim in public doesnt mean he does not drink

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1703727556757688788

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm no boat-talker but that sub looks proper hosed to me. Might even be fire damage on the inside too which I'm lead to understand is a not-good, possibly even bad, thing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i'm not an expert but i think that's too many big missile holes for a submarine to have

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

eke out posted:

yeah i'm not an expert but i think that's too many big missile holes for a submarine to have

Speed holes, ect.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Just slap some duct tape on it, it'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm no boat-talker but that sub looks proper hosed to me. Might even be fire damage on the inside too which I'm lead to understand is a not-good, possibly even bad, thing.

Who wants to risk diving in a sub with that much damage to its structural integrity?

Not even a pile of carbon fibre is going to save that one. :dadjoke: