Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I remember seeing the Hunter the Vigil board game on a shelf but I never heard if it was worth a look. Clearly I missed the sticker.

That image is from the cover too lmao.

I'm impressed White Wolf managed to get a crossover deal with Atlus for the SMT name. Bit of an odd choice, but I guess whatever gets them more brand recognition in the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Don't worry, they replaced him with Raidou Kuzunoha in the reprint

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

It's not just the blatant Dante from DMC either, there's a very obvious image of Lil Wayne in that same book.

Yeah?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yeah

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

lmao

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Okay

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Owns

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

this is the best possible art

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Honestly, Lil Wayne the mage is better art than whatever is going on with the Swole Jawa and other old mages in Mage the Awakening 2e.

They nailed the Path art which clearly had strong editorial oversight and then the Order art is uhhhh 'tangentially connected' is how I would put it. Also lacking in women other than whatever is going on with the Silver Ladder nuns.

Also I gotta say, Tome of the Pentacle's cover art and chapter art is actively worse than no art at all, being literally people with the 'cartoon' photoshop filter laid onto them and wands and staves edited into their hands.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Honestly, Lil Wayne the mage is better art than whatever is going on with the Swole Jawa and other old mages in Mage the Awakening 2e.

They nailed the Path art which clearly had strong editorial oversight and then the Order art is uhhhh 'tangentially connected' is how I would put it. Also lacking in women other than whatever is going on with the Silver Ladder nuns.

Also I gotta say, Tome of the Pentacle's cover art and chapter art is actively worse than no art at all, being literally people with the 'cartoon' photoshop filter laid onto them and wands and staves edited into their hands.

He's not a Mage, he's a Hunter. The Ascending Ones specifically.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The original printing of Hunter: The Vigil first edition, yes. Artist got caught tracing.

Hunter: The V[er]gil

What?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wait, do you goons think Lil Wayne is Lil Jon because goddamn would that be on brand

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bottom Liner posted:

Wait, do you goons think Lil Wayne is Lil Jon because goddamn would that be on brand

Yes, I mixed them up.
I'm not going to claim Joeslop did.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm supposed to get a free copy due to the Alas Vegas KS...I am not holding my breath.

It has happened, in case anyone else used an infrequently checked email backing Alas Vegas.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Yes, I mixed them up.
I'm not going to claim Joeslop did.

If I were capable of shame then it would be embarrassing to admit such a thing so I won't

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

bewilderment posted:

I think we can drill down into this cover art a bit further. You see, part of the problem is that Chronicles/New World of Darkness has had a very consistent style. The cover is a desaturated mono-color piece that looks like the title sequence of an X-Files ripoff, and the internal art is the kind of "regular person, but we made it a bit weird" art of varying quality that we've been discussing. With that in mind, let's look at the Tome of the Pentacle.

The layman's going to call it a bad cover because it's a bad piece of art. Fans are going to call it a bad cover because it's obviously a piece of interior art that's been put on the front cover with no effort made to make it fit with the rest of the line. And yes, Onyx Path is a lot more budget than it used to be, but it implies a drop in project planning/oversight that's kind of disheartening. (And if anyone here happens to be planning any new additions to established RPGs, here's a lesson for you: plan your art comms in advance, or you're going to get stuck making some random art like this your cover.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sometimes your dead game line has to just push one last time thing out the door due to various obligations.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sometimes your dead game line has to just push one last time thing out the door due to various obligations.

Definitely reminiscent of the Imperial Mysteries cover that graced the final (2nd to last?) book of the 1e line.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As someone who's done some professional art direction,* my basic guidance would be that every picture should communicate something to the reader — ideally, it should tell a story. (There's a reason everybody remembers the Chompy art from Exalted.)

If the only thing your picture conveys is that this book has wizards, but modern wizards, and they do magic while posing, you might as well have just used the space to give people a good recipe for crème brulée.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I agree with most of the criticisms being leveled here, but at this point it's almost not even worth it to make fun of the art direction of the nWoD/CofD gamelines since the art has been consistently LOL for so long that it's almost a staple of the lines at this point. I love Hunter: The Vigil (1e), but it has an absolutely terrible cover, and the art inside ranges from hilarious traces of real people/video game characters, to mid-tier hand drawings with the perspective issues I see when I'm viewing the stuff made by my daughter's elementary school gifted art classes. As someone that has had friends that take art commissions for RPGs it always surprises me that White Wolf so consistently found BAD artists when there are plenty of good artists that will still work for dirt cheap.

Fake edit: Okay, I'm being over-mean here. There's plenty of good art in HtV, it's just that the bad stuff is so bad it knocks you right out of the book for a few minutes.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I'll be honest, a big part of why I'm harsh on Tome of the Pentacle is because of Onyx Path's general downward spiral and mismanagement. Their art quality's always been spotty at best, that's why I focused on the cover clearly being bad interior art instead of their normal bad cover art. It's just a highly visible sign of how mismanaged these lines are in general.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

As someone who's done some professional art direction,* my basic guidance would be that every picture should communicate something to the reader — ideally, it should tell a story. (There's a reason everybody remembers the Chompy art from Exalted.)

If the only thing your picture conveys is that this book has wizards, but modern wizards, and they do magic while posing, you might as well have just used the space to give people a good recipe for crème brulée.

The funny thing is that, basic as it is, the cover art for Tome of the Pentacle could have told an appropriate story by just posing and organizing some variously-equipped wizards... if there were five of them.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Ferrinus posted:

The funny thing is that, basic as it is, the cover art for Tome of the Pentacle could have told an appropriate story by just posing and organizing some variously-equipped wizards... if there were five of them.

You, the reader, are the fifth wizard. The ritual and the game are incomplete without you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I mean, it takes more than "this is five wizards" to qualify as a story. You need to be able to infer something about the relationships of the people on the cover, like a conflict or something about one of the book's themes.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I'll be honest, a big part of why I'm harsh on Tome of the Pentacle is because of Onyx Path's general downward spiral and mismanagement. Their art quality's always been spotty at best, that's why I focused on the cover clearly being bad interior art instead of their normal bad cover art. It's just a highly visible sign of how mismanaged these lines are in general.

Can you tell me more about this? I only started paying attention to OP when H:tV 2e came out, after years of not owning my old nWoD books, and I could immediately tell something was up with that book when I bought it. Everything seems like a clusterfuck, but I've only gotten scattered stories about what happened with that company.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Can you tell me more about this? I only started paying attention to OP when H:tV 2e came out, after years of not owning my old nWoD books, and I could immediately tell something was up with that book when I bought it. Everything seems like a clusterfuck, but I've only gotten scattered stories about what happened with that company.

There's no real big mystery or anything. Paradox owns White Wolf as a brand and corporate entity and they chose to focus on the WoD and not CofD; and are generally slow to approve anything further. The CofD fanbase isn't really growing and so the gameline is pretty much wrapping up, and that means that the last books are basically put together as time and budget permits.

I only called out TotP just because it's cover is actively worse than something like just having the plain blue Awakening generic cover with the title overlaid in yellow text.

That said there's other interior art by that artist/style and it's uniformly bad and a waste of art budget. Signs of Sorcery uses the same for its chapter-leading illustrations. It's a poo poo style, the artist should feel bad and the art director should feel bad for using them a second (or more???) time.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 18, 2023

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"A sourcebook for Mage The Awakening Second Edition" in a lovely papyrus-alike font with an incredibly weak outer glow that makes it blend into the runes they have overlaying the black background is also a choice. Apparently that's the standard for allt he 2nd edition gamelines rather than just having the Logo on there like they did with first edition.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There isn't much to say, honestly. It's the slow decline of a company trying to diversify away from their main game lines which they have to license from another company and getting stuck in the "make a kickstarter so we have enough money to keep going until the next kickstarter" cycle while they slowly lose all of their experienced writers to a combination of poor editorial oversight and people being horrible. There's been some posts in the WoD thread from Dave Brookshaw about working for them that broke my heart, but there aren't specific break points unless you really want to go into detail. Otherwise it's just Onyx Path slowly deflating.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I have to wonder how much of the Onyx Path downward curve can be directly or indirectly attributed to the whole thing with Exalted 3e getting a ton of hype and then instead of riding that wave, taking an extra 2 1/2 years beyond what was promised to release anything.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think there's much overlap between Exalted and WoD people, either on the production or playing side.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Roadie posted:

I have to wonder how much of the Onyx Path downward curve can be directly or indirectly attributed to the whole thing with Exalted 3e getting a ton of hype and then instead of riding that wave, taking an extra 2 1/2 years beyond what was promised to release anything.

I'd say that's backwards: in retrospect, the third edition of Exalted came out faster than anything Onyx Path has done since. (Most of their corebooks take at least three years from the point they get started to being published, including a lot of games that are way simpler than Exalted.)

They just never had the infrastructure to produce an ongoing gameline at a sustainable rate, and the stuff they inherited has been collapsing as the old hands left, such that the company's history has basically been an extended death rattle.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The reputational damage of Beast doesn't help matters, either.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think enough people know Beast exists, let alone the backstory behind its development, for it to have much of an effect. For that matter it's a minor miracle when I meet someone in general TTRPG spaces who even knows the difference between the oWoD and the nWod/ChroD.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

They have also likely been affected by Swedracula causing that international incident so hard Paradox said "well you had some autonomy, hope you enjoyed it while it lasted" and hollowed out White Wolf and turned it into a glove. Beast was definitely a black eye to OPP but then they kind of just didn't do a great job of differentiating itself with its original content and the ChronDark stuff that went out wasn't super attention grabbing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The one thing I find myself regretting to this day is that Paradox canning everything meant canning the really massive effort they were putting into getting decent PDFs made of absolutely everything in the WoD.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Splicer posted:

Ashriel Lockheart

Bottom Liner posted:

OC do not steal

wait gently caress

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hostile V posted:

They have also likely been affected by Swedracula causing that international incident so hard Paradox said "well you had some autonomy, hope you enjoyed it while it lasted" and hollowed out White Wolf and turned it into a glove. Beast was definitely a black eye to OPP but then they kind of just didn't do a great job of differentiating itself with its original content and the ChronDark stuff that went out wasn't super attention grabbing.

It's this. Beast was Bad but everything that's come out since hasn't really done numbers either. Pretty much the only book I've heard good things about is Deviant. I know contagion chronicles was just actively bad since it basically exists as an excuse to have Beasts in a crossover party.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

I wonder how well the storypath stuff is doing? I quite enjoy some of the Trinity settings, and the kickstarters/backerkits don't seem to have any problems (aside taking a few years to produce a physical book, but that's expected), but I wonder if it's enough to keep onyx path running? I've seen a few physical books in stores for Scion and Trinity, but I assumed that was backer stuff rather than full publishing runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's still a Hunter 20th sized hole on my shelf, but it somehow got a shiny 5th edition.