Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

frogbs posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Apple silicone cases? I ordered one for my 15 pro, but some people say they aren't very durable. I'll guess i'll see what it's like, but am considering a case from Peak Design or Nomad.

On that note, are there any decent case review websites/resources? Googling just gets me SEO listicles that just summarize Amazon reviews, which is 0 help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

frogbs posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Apple silicone cases? I ordered one for my 15 pro, but some people say they aren't very durable. I'll guess i'll see what it's like, but am considering a case from Peak Design or Nomad.

I like silicone a lot but they’ve never lasted more than a year or two for me, the moment I drop them and they get a nick I start peeling at them and they come apart fast. But if you don’t fiddle the scratches I can see them last a long time and they’re good to clean.

Still going with fabric this time because I’m curious but if that doesn’t work out I’d go silicone again in a heartbeat.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

buglord posted:

On that note, are there any decent case review websites/resources? Googling just gets me SEO listicles that just summarize Amazon reviews, which is 0 help.

I like MobileReviewsEh and TechnicallyTee on YouTube. I'd say I trust MobileReviewsEh to be more impartial, but Tee covers way more cases.

MobileReviewsEh turned me on to the Mous Limitless which is probably the happiest I've ever been with a case.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

buglord posted:

Lot of XR owners (well, 2) alongside me itt. Gonna be a long wait till Friday.

I'm going from XR to 15PM, god I wish it was Friday already.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

junan_paalla posted:

Same exact jump here. I’ve owned the 7 Plus and it seems like the PM might be a hair taller? Probably horrifically heavier though.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone used Casekoo Magic Stand case before? Seems like a nice unobtrusive kickstand built into a MagSafe ring, and also seems like a reasonably slim case.

Other accessories chat: does anyone use a wireless CarPlay adapter? My car has wired CarPlay but it would be nice just get into car, slot phone onto MagSafe mount and have it Just Work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Tim it’s the 18 where’s my iOS update. Tim :argh:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

junan_paalla posted:

Put in my order today, going from SE2 to 15 Pro and same.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Tim it’s the 18 where’s my iOS update. Tim :argh:

Don’t they usually roll them out at like, 1pm pacific time?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

frogbs posted:

Like others have said, main problem is that it’s a soft silicone. If you drop it outside, it will probably get a ding or gouge. The harder the drop, the more damage. And they are pricy to replace.

Other issue is that the colors rotate frequently, maybe seasonally, so if you find a nice color you may want to stock up on it. My favorite was electric orange but it’s very difficult to find replacements now.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Duckman2008 posted:

Don’t they usually roll them out at like, 1pm pacific time?

1PM EST.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My main problem looking at the woven cases is that the colours suck. I should probably just get a clear case but also I hate the visible magsafe ring on them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

buglord posted:

Lot of XR owners (well, 2) alongside me itt. Gonna be a long wait till Friday.

I did it last june with a 14 since I have too many lightning devices to move smoothly to usb-c. I will pray for you guys for a smooth data migration.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

njsykora posted:

My main problem looking at the woven cases is that the colours suck. I should probably just get a clear case but also I hate the visible magsafe ring on them.

There's like a billion another clear case manufacturers. I went with Ringke this time around since it's fairly cheap and I want to wait and see where the market lands in the coming months.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

101 posted:

I like MobileReviewsEh and TechnicallyTee on YouTube. I'd say I trust MobileReviewsEh to be more impartial, but Tee covers way more cases.

MobileReviewsEh turned me on to the Mous Limitless which is probably the happiest I've ever been with a case.

These two are how you start a case buying habit.

I have an embarrassing amount of cases for the 13P.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve been rocking my 12 pro naked since the leather case fell apart maybe a year ago, and it’s given me the confidence to just stay that way once I get my 15 pro.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I've been naked phone crew forever, but also I've exclusively owned budget to mid-range phones and this'll be my first flagship. On the other hand a co-worker has been barebacking his 13 Plus for 2 years and it still looks great so ehh.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

101 posted:

Mous Limitless are the poo poo. Great case and the accessories for them are top notch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: nevermind

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I guess the Nomad leather cases are the ones to buy now that Apple ones are gone? I had really grown attached to the green leather case for my midnight green 11 Pro Max and as far as I can tell no one is selling dyed green leather cases. I’m skeptical of FineWoven.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I guess the Nomad leather cases are the ones to buy now that Apple ones are gone? I had really grown attached to the green leather case for my midnight green 11 Pro Max and as far as I can tell no one is selling dyed green leather cases. I’m skeptical of FineWoven.

I’m going to suggest Bullstrap and Andar if you’re looking for other leather options. Bullstrap especially has been a good option.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Bullstrap is the best, no question.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Has anyone used Casekoo Magic Stand case before? Seems like a nice unobtrusive kickstand built into a MagSafe ring, and also seems like a reasonably slim case.

Other accessories chat: does anyone use a wireless CarPlay adapter? My car has wired CarPlay but it would be nice just get into car, slot phone onto MagSafe mount and have it Just Work.

I have one! I quite like it as before I had a magnetic ring attachment thing which was a real faff for getting in and out of pockets etc.

The ring is not the most comfortable thing ever as it’s quite thin so the inner edge can be a bit diggy, but overall I really like the balance of functionality and looks - it’s a good slim option all round.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Gaffer tape is the one to use. Electrical tape outside of its intended design use sucks.

A little late on light blocking but I also recommend black paper tape. It’s easier to remove than gaffers tape, cheaper, and thinner so it’s a little more subtle. It’s the typical thing to use for blocking light leaks on film sets.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Skeezy posted:

I’m going to suggest Bullstrap and Andar if you’re looking for other leather options. Bullstrap especially has been a good option.

Bullstrap looks very nice indeed, too bad they don’t ship until October 31st. I guess I can put a cheapo on until then. The Maverick color looks more like an olive drab but the patina photos look good, so hopefully it’d age into a dark green.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Bullstrap looks very nice indeed, too bad they don’t ship until October 31st. I guess I can put a cheapo on until then. The Maverick color looks more like an olive drab but the patina photos look good, so hopefully it’d age into a dark green.

I’m hoping one day they do a proper forest green.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

jabro posted:

Mous Limitless are the poo poo. Great case and the accessories for them are top notch.

I’m Otterbox Defender for life - just found out they can’t ship the Pro to Canada because of the anti-microbial claims maybe being weak - any Defender -> Limitless switchers able to comment?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just use a Spigen case because it's $15.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I just use a Spigen case because it's $15.

:same:

Only purpose of the case is to make the camera bump go away and make it not skid around on flat surfaces.

withak fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 18, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I did notice when looking around earlier that Spigen have a bondi blue case. I probably would've bought it right then it it had just been clear plastic and didn't have a bunch of other random shapes and text on it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

buglord posted:

So if it’s already installed on my two iOS devices, I can opt out of the program and be back on the same path with everyone else?

Yes, until 17.1 comes out, so if you rolled back right now you’d be on 17 standard or whatever with everyone

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Skeezy posted:

I’m hoping one day they do a proper forest green.

Yeah, nobody in the “premium leather case” market is doing forest green. Bums me out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of a transparent case that isn't glossy? I don't necessarily want a matte finish (though that could be cool) but I really don't want a shiny looking clear case.

I'll probably get a bog standard solid case but I'm forever on the hunt for a nice case that makes my phone look as naked as possible so I can actually see the color I bought.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I know you don’t want to hear this but the best clear case is AppleCare+.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

The only thing to keep in mind is the feel.. it's rubbery and that means it's gonna cling to fabric in your pocket. But it feels real good in the hand.. feels nice and secure.

This is spot on. I end up with inside-out pockets constantly. Annoying, but the case does feel good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

jabro posted:

I know you don’t want to hear this but the best clear case is AppleCare+.

This is my plan. Naked AppleCare+ with theft and loss for 2 years, then ill replace the screen, add protection and let it go until it falls apart or there's an actual technological jump in these of some kind.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kefkafloyd posted:

I just got an Andar leather case in green for my 14 pro. Seems decent so far. https://www.andar.com/collections/the-cases/products/the-aspen

I think moving away from leather is a terrible move, TPU cases are disgusting to touch. Canvas would be a decent alternative maybe.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Speaking of cases, why are plain bumpers hard to find? I used to have one on my iphone 4 after antennagate. The back of the phone is way nicer than any case plastic or glass.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
If you’re still on an older phone third party sellers seem to discount the Apple silicone cases occasionally to clear them out. I just got a nice dark blue one for my 2020 SE for $15 shipped from Best Buy to replace a janky old one for a few months while I figure out my upgrade path. The same case is still $35 through Apple.

The Apple silicone cases feel the best of any slim one to me but as soon as they get a nick or gouge they start peeling. I’ve had three and none lasted longer than a year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Looking forward to seeing pet photos taken with the new cameras so I can compare them with actual-use photos and see if I want to upgrade and not just to see a bunch of cute dogs I promise