Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

i say swears online posted:

interesting that the spanish cardinal directions are also from the old germanic

English and French have both with the latin versions being only for fancy use

Boreal forest, the Occident, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Initially read that as "unearthed roman cities" and was extremely confused for a moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*giant ham voice* Sadiq Khan dug up Londinium on purpose! :bahgawd:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Distribution of unearthed Roman coins.

Is this excluding coins from Byzantium?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

my austrian friend is going to have an apoplectic fit when i show them this so thank you

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Count Roland posted:

Is this excluding coins from Byzantium?

Yeah kinda bewildered at how few there are in the east. Maybe just because of more archaeology in Western Europe?

Neat to see that one way over north of Kazakhstan.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Austria is the most Eastern European country in Europe.

Aside from Portugal (obviously)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Koramei posted:

Yeah kinda bewildered at how few there are in the east. Maybe just because of more archaeology in Western Europe?

Neat to see that one way over north of Kazakhstan.

I presume the metals in the east were used to melt down into new coins whereas there wasn't really the same level of society in the west to accomplish that at the time where the coins would have been in circulation.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Austria is some sort of Russian colony at this point so definitely eastern europe

She danced with Putin at her wedding. Now the former Austrian foreign minister has moved to Russia

quote:

A former Austrian foreign minister who had invited Russian President Vladimir Putin to her wedding and danced a waltz with him at the 2018 reception said she has moved to St. Petersburg to set up a think tank there.

Karin Kneissl, 58, announced on messaging app Telegram on Wednesday that her ponies, which she has been keeping in Syria, were taken to Russia on a Russian military plane.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Finland should be grey.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Finland should be grey.

As someone who is flying to Helsinki in a few hours and has been regularly checking the weather forecast: :golfclap:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Southwestern states getting ridiculous with water hoarding now.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mister Olympus posted:

you should read the yiddish policeman's union if you haven't already; a partially-in-yiddish noir novel in an alternate 50s where the jewish state in alaska came to be

Nitpick: The novel is not set in the 50s but in the same (but alternate) time it was written. That is, by the time of the main plot, this Jewish state has existed for a couple of generations. And also the long-term lease of the land on which it was built is about to run out.

(Also I don't recall it being partially in yiddish; except insofar as it throws around a fair amount of Yiddish slang and expressions.)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Southwestern states getting ridiculous with water hoarding now.

An old classic.

I wish ice caps and glaciers were their own sphere

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Count Roland posted:

An old classic.

I wish ice caps and glaciers were their own sphere

It'd be about twice as big as the second sphere.

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/distribution-water-and-above-earth

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Guavanaut posted:

Odd cutoffs for the map. Plenty of finds both south and east of that area.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grand Fromage posted:

Odd cutoffs for the map. Plenty of finds both south and east of that area.
Definitely also a missed opportunity not showing Roman coins in Japan.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Guavanaut posted:

Sri Lanka having a multiple of the coins found in Ireland is wild given their respective distance from Roman territory.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just you wait until someone founds a Roman coin in Antarctica

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm impressed the (already mentioned) spot north of Khazakstan/east of the Urals.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
The big hollow space of what used to be the Parthian empire between Syria or the Caucasus and India is kind of weird to have visualized like that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Blut posted:

Sri Lanka having a multiple of the coins found in Ireland is wild given their respective distance from Roman territory.

In the 1st century the Romans figured out how the monsoons worked and then a trip from Yemen to south India only took a month there and a month back as long as you timed it right which is really short by the standards of the day

It’s why there’s so many more coins in south India then north India despite being farther in raw distance

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Blut posted:

It's still pretty generous considering what you'd be interested in buying from Ireland, prior to the opening of the potato mines.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In the 1st century the Romans figured out how the monsoons worked and then a trip from Yemen to south India only took a month there and a month back as long as you timed it right which is really short by the standards of the day

It’s why there’s so many more coins in south India then north India despite being farther in raw distance

Right, but a trip from Roman Britain to Ireland took less than a day, even at the speed of Roman ships. A trip to Sri Lanka involved Roman Egypt to Yemen, to South India, to Sir Lanka, so probably closer to two months all-in - or about 50-60 times the duration.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah but Sri Lanka has nice weather and Ireland is always raining so a day feels like a month.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Blut posted:

Right, but a trip from Roman Britain to Ireland took less than a day, even at the speed of Roman ships. A trip to Sri Lanka involved Roman Egypt to Yemen, to South India, to Sir Lanka, so probably closer to two months all-in - or about 50-60 times the duration.

Sure, but what luxury goods (Luxury goods being the main things you're trading for that far from the Med) does Ireland produce that Romano-British merchants want to buy?

Also pretty curious about the displayed distribution in Britain given this one from Wiki:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Sure, but what luxury goods (Luxury goods being the main things you're trading for that far from the Med) does Ireland produce that Romano-British merchants want to buy?

Also pretty curious about the displayed distribution in Britain given this one from Wiki:

Well, Ireland produced a lot of raiders during the late Roman period, and some of them did raid Roman Britain instead of the more popular option of invading the Picts. So you would expect either raid loot or protection money to show up in some quantity.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Servetus posted:

Well, Ireland produced a lot of raiders during the late Roman period, and some of them did raid Roman Britain instead of the more popular option of invading the Picts. So you would expect either raid loot or protection money to show up in some quantity.

Wouldn’t they be more interest in slaves/goods than useless coinage?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
if civ games taught me anything they desired that sweet peat

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Blut posted:

Hmmm

Two months from the second richest portion of the empire to get spices and artisan goods from the worlds third biggest economy

Or a day from the rear end end of the empire that it already takes a month to get to so that I can get what sheep?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wouldn’t they be more interest in slaves/goods than useless coinage?

It's not modern currency, the coins have intrinsic value.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EasilyConfused posted:

It's not modern currency, the coins have intrinsic value.

When it’s the mid-late empire and the coin contains almost no silver?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When it’s the mid-late empire and the coin contains almost no silver?

Fair point, missed the "late Roman" part of the previous post.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Hurricanes and cyclones that were tracked between 1851 and 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do the andes mess up the flow in the southern hemisphere?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kinda want to hear about that one tropical storm that hit both Iceland and Svalbard.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

There was a decent amount of copper mining in Ireland, and trade in other goods:

quote:

Roman Britain certainly traded with Ireland, exchanging metals, cattle, grain, animal hides, hunting dogs and human slaves for wine, olive oil and decorated craftware such as crockery, glasses, jewellery and ivory

One of Ireland’s greatest commodities at this time was human slaves. The country was a prominent slave-trading centre, and many of the slaves who worked on the farms of the wealthy villa-owning elite in Roman Britain are thought to have started life in Hibernia.

Plus extensive raiding of Roman territory as mentioned by others:

quote:

Rome’s failure to control of the Irish Sea was to be the bane of many a governor of Roman Britain, as it provided a safe haven for incessant marauding pirates and other enemies of state. Tacitus was all in favour of the conquest of Ireland, arguing that it would increase the prosperity and security of their empire. “We know most of [Ireland’s] harbours and approaches,” he wrote, “and that through the intercourse of commerce.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/what-did-the-romans-ever-do-for-ireland-1.4205876

Your map has a huge concentration of coins around modern day Cardiff, whose hinterland would have had a similar economy at the time to Hibernia. Which also adds to the curiosity.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Hmmm

Two months from the second richest portion of the empire to get spices and artisan goods from the worlds third biggest economy

Or a day from the rear end end of the empire that it already takes a month to get to so that I can get what sheep?

When has Sri Lanka ever been the world's third biggest economy?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Guavanaut posted:

This map is basically small_artefact_discovery_reporting_practices.jpg, and isn't even that good at being that. Many countries officially forbid the use of metal detectors and have made it illegal for people to sell valuable artefacts they recover; two of the only countries in the Old World that don't do that are the UK and Israel, which is why they have relatively good representation on this map.

Also, in terms of representation in Ireland vs Sri Lanka, the so-called "Muziris Papyrus," which has shed important light on trade with southern India in the 2nd c. AD, suggests that taxes on trade with southern India and Sri Lanka alone brought in 25-30% of the estimated annual military budget of c. 1 billion sesterces at that time. It was immensely important for the imperial fisc.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Blut posted:

There was a decent amount of copper mining in Ireland, and trade in other goods:

Plus extensive raiding of Roman territory as mentioned by others:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/what-did-the-romans-ever-do-for-ireland-1.4205876

Your map has a huge concentration of coins around modern day Cardiff, whose hinterland would have had a similar economy at the time to Hibernia. Which also adds to the curiosity.

When has Sri Lanka ever been the world's third biggest economy?

I guess I should say economic region but South Asia has accounted for enormous portions of the worlds GDP pre-colonization with its high point being a full quarter of the worlds economic output.

Sri Lanka and south India served as gateways for the goods of the entirety of India Southeast Asia and southern China as well for the Roman’s whereas with Ireland they would only have the goods that Ireland produced because everything else is either in the territory or they could just go there for trade directly

Sri Lanka was much more economically productive and important as a trading center than Ireland and had only a slightly longer travel time from the center of the empire and its wealthiest provinces so I don’t think it’s surprising that there was evidence of much greater trading activity there regardless of its distance from the periphery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

This map is basically small_artefact_discovery_reporting_practices.jpg, and isn't even that good at being that. Many countries officially forbid the use of metal detectors and have made it illegal for people to sell valuable artefacts they recover; two of the only countries in the Old World that don't do that are the UK and Israel, which is why they have relatively good representation on this map.

Also, in terms of representation in Ireland vs Sri Lanka, the so-called "Muziris Papyrus," which has shed important light on trade with southern India in the 2nd c. AD, suggests that taxes on trade with southern India and Sri Lanka alone brought in 25-30% of the estimated annual military budget of c. 1 billion sesterces at that time. It was immensely important for the imperial fisc.

The idea of forbidding something as simple as a metal detector is new to me. Are these laws that are enforced? I assume they're meant to prevent plundering though I wonder how effective they'd be.