Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Cheers I'll check them out, I've certainly been enjoying Tarkov, and the little SP I've done, but I'm also a solo player so maybe SP Tarkov is the future for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
No shame in SPT
Tarkov mechanics would be amazing in a proper single player game or even just a fully pve thing

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Danknificent posted:

No shame in SPT
Tarkov mechanics would be amazing in a proper single player game or even just a fully pve thing

Tarkov structured kinda like Stalker but w/o the anomalies would be great.

It shares a lot obviously, but there is something about Stalker that hit different.

Maybe it's nostalgia idk.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm hoping that Stalker 2 takes at least a couple lesson from Tarkov. Or, barring that, that in a few years the modders for Stalker 2 do.

Danknificent posted:

But yeah, I keep waiting for this to show up and so far everyone just wants to go for the online PvP aspect. So far the only thing close is Zero Sievert, which is a completely different style of game (top down roguelite vs FPS).

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
If you're interested in that it is probably worth keeping an eye on Road to Vostok. I don't think it is particularly close to release yet but it is a single-player FPS that looks like it will be quite tarkov-like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFIyzpE-it8

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Demo 2 isn't too far out for Road to Vostok and the dev has been very open about the fact that he wants it to be an improved, single player tarkov.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The biggest thing in Tarkov, especially when starting out, is having a narrow goal for the raid. A common (horrible) piece of advice is to stick to the outer edges of the map, but good players know this & will exploit it to their advantage, and at the edges you have one less direction to reposition if you encounter hostiles.

A large portion of deaths are going "well, I'm right by <loot location>, I might as well check it out" once youve snagged the quest thing and could just roll to extract. When questing, get in, get out, get to the next raid.

I always like to try and think about where I died from, how I moved, did they hear me, etc after I die, and just use that for the next raid. It makes for a great debrief session after a raid with buddies, as long as everyone is chill. Tarkov requires a multitude of "soft skills" that you can only learn by experiencing them (usually dying to them) for continued success. Learning the pace of pmc flow on a map, how long it takes to get to spot x from spawn y, what a shot sounds like at close/far/extreme range or if its inside or outside, etc. Just keep playing. And dont forget they always wipe, so just run that "meta" kit you are saving in your stash. It all goes away eventually.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 9, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Pretty sure that Unity engine update is getting moved from 2024 to a new engine some day

https://twitter.com/KenneyNL/status/1701582491805495596

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don’t have an MBA or anything but that seems like a spectacular way to explode your business.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
drat it’s gonna be hard for BSG to carve that out of the meager $150 purchase price

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

TheTofuShop posted:

The biggest thing in Tarkov, especially when starting out, is having a narrow goal for the raid. A common (horrible) piece of advice is to stick to the outer edges of the map, but good players know this & will exploit it to their advantage, and at the edges you have one less direction to reposition if you encounter hostiles.

A large portion of deaths are going "well, I'm right by <loot location>, I might as well check it out" once youve snagged the quest thing and could just roll to extract. When questing, get in, get out, get to the next raid.

I always like to try and think about where I died from, how I moved, did they hear me, etc after I die, and just use that for the next raid. It makes for a great debrief session after a raid with buddies, as long as everyone is chill. Tarkov requires a multitude of "soft skills" that you can only learn by experiencing them (usually dying to them) for continued success. Learning the pace of pmc flow on a map, how long it takes to get to spot x from spawn y, what a shot sounds like at close/far/extreme range or if its inside or outside, etc. Just keep playing. And dont forget they always wipe, so just run that "meta" kit you are saving in your stash. It all goes away eventually.

TBH this method of game play fits perfectly with the idea of Tarkov. You have a mission, get it done. Don't wander off to check a random barrel half buried underground.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
from what i've seen, new players who don't know the maps and don't know how to traverse safely (and also have no soft skills to help traversing) get absolutely shitstomped over and over just trying to bee-line objectives and exits and that's not an experience that teaches much either. like how much useful gamesense is someone building by just sprinting at jaegers camp and getting killed by someone they never saw a bunch of times in a row?

im definitely not saying that people should stick to the outer boundary or loot every single thing or loiter unnaturally after having a bunch of tasks done, but imo just spending more time in raid, learning to process the info you get from hearing a raid play out for 15 minutes, and in general actually playing the game is a big investment into being less bad at tarkov a month or two down the road in a way that bee-lining tasks is not. imo learning to deal with scavs quietly and without much effort and learning to make sense of the info you get during a raid and learning the ways to move between POIs on a map is much, much more useful than any quest in the game

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 12, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mellow_ posted:

Tarkov structured kinda like Stalker but w/o the anomalies would be great.

It shares a lot obviously, but there is something about Stalker that hit different.

Maybe it's nostalgia idk.

I'd play Stalker itself with Tarkov's SP mechanics. Or even in coop, that'd own hard.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I wish I could just spot scavs easier. Ideally before they murder me.

How does everyone have sound set up? I've got q arctis pro headset and I noticed while watching halfman the other day, that in his videos I can hear the scavs and ambient noise direction far better on his video than I can in my game, which makes no sense to me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Vahakyla posted:

I'd play Stalker itself with Tarkov's SP mechanics. Or even in coop, that'd own hard.

Some Stalker mods such as Gamma (an integrated mod pack) are implementing a lot of stuff clearly inspired by Tarkov. It doesn’t get all the way there due to the limits of adding things into a decades old game, but it gets a good ways there.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

How does everyone have sound set up? I've got q arctis pro headset and I noticed while watching halfman the other day, that in his videos I can hear the scavs and ambient noise direction far better on his video than I can in my game, which makes no sense to me.

you are wearing ears on every single raid, right? otherwise double check your audio output

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm almost always wearing ears.

My output is set to the headphones, binaural is on. I'm wondering if there's some software issue with their software whatever it's called. Maybe it's trying to mimic surround sound rather than use game audio or something and I've missed something?

I'm using their suggested EQ preset for Tarkov too.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I'm almost always wearing ears.

My output is set to the headphones, binaural is on. I'm wondering if there's some software issue with their software whatever it's called. Maybe it's trying to mimic surround sound rather than use game audio or something and I've missed something?

I'm using their suggested EQ preset for Tarkov too.

Binaural should be off.

I've never had a good experience with it and a quick look on reddit that is the case for most people still.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Really? I thought it had been fixed. I saw so done saying it should be used now. Pestily or someone at least. I'll have a look though

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

If you can turn off any software that "adjusts" sound and emulates "5.1" or "7.1". I play Tarkov through a set of Philips SHP9500 and a Creative G6 DAC/Amp and have a profile that turns off EQ* or extra processing. The difference since doing that is night and day.
I do have Binaural turned on, but haven't done a comparison to having it off recently. Generally no issues determining location except if people are directly in front or behind.

*I technically use Equalizer APO with a profile for my headphones but that applies to everything and not just Tarkov. I have it set to drop volume when it detects "sharp" sounds like gunfire so I don't blow my eardrums apart.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Some Stalker mods such as Gamma (an integrated mod pack) are implementing a lot of stuff clearly inspired by Tarkov. It doesn’t get all the way there due to the limits of adding things into a decades old game, but it gets a good ways there.

stalker anomaly gamma is indeed the closest thing to tarkov in a single player package. it rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UytG_91f44

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Really? I thought it had been fixed. I saw so done saying it should be used now. Pestily or someone at least. I'll have a look though

They fix it about twice a year. I hadn't seen that it was working correctly yet, but I could be wrong.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 13, 2023

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Hooplah posted:

stalker anomaly gamma is indeed the closest thing to tarkov in a single player package. it rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UytG_91f44

It's also entirely free. You won't have to buy or pirate Stalker to play it, the mod comes w/ Stalker included.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly

I've not played with GAMMA added but apparently it's available via this Discord server: https://discord.com/invite/stalker-gamma

E: The main (or a?) developer Volodymyr was murdered while defending his home from Russians. :smith: RIP

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 13, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A big update to Stalker GAMMA should be releasing on Friday as well!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It does suck Road to Vostok isn’t coop. My interest for SP is so low. I play most games with my wife.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

You ever have a scav run that just telegraphs to you that you're done for the day?

Because I just spawned into the tunnels on factory, grabbed some good loot off a corpse, and then Tagilla bashed my head in from behind before I had a chance to realize what was happening :suicide:

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
you gotta go through it. next time your gonna find a pile of PMCs that got bodied by tagilla and walk out with 3 kits

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah tagilla owns

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Tagilla is good and is my friend.

I mean, he does try to kill me because my karma isn't high enough, but he leaves all this sweet loot lying around, that's pretty generous.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Seconding the advice to play the game. Don't sit in a bush. Don't rush to your objective. Don't get in and get out because you're on a ~mission~.
You need experience, kills, loot and character skills to progress. Do move out of your spawn early on and watch out for others moving out of their spawns. Do check out scav spawns, points of interest, loot locations on your way to your objective. Do move off quickly if you make a bunch of noise or circle out and watch for people coming to get you. Do go after other people making lots of noise.

It's a shooter game. If you are here to pick flowers on a magical, arduous quest you are in the wrong place. Eventually you will need to contest others to complete some tasks, so get in the mindset of tasks being something you do if it is clear and safe to do, either because no one is there or you wholesale murdered anything in your path. Tasks are more like a thing you do later if there isn't much action. You need to improve your skills as a player so get out there and practice.

At the end of the day there are no more tasks to do but have fun shooting people. I've been to the end and for me it is much more about the journey. You'll never remember or care about that marker you placed, or that letter you picked up and no one will want to hear that story. But if you assassinate some task-focused fool with blinkers on, steal their gun, shoot up their team mates to high hell and flit off into the bush as you get chased by the last guy, only to evade them and get all the gear out - that's a story you worth telling.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Regarding audio:
Short version: Games have stereo sound output (L and R channel), use a stereo system (headphones), in stereo mode (no 5.1, 7.1, spatial emulation). Game developers use binaural audio to create 3D soundscapes for positional audio - enable it. It is programmed to work on your stereo system without any modifiers so don't mess with it. Without binaural audio there is no differentiation between front and back, or above and below audio - it all sounds the same. The reason is because games only have a L and R channel output - front/back/above/below have equal output on the L and R channels. The binaural audio driver in games creates differentiation for these positions by modifying the base sound relative to its position in the game world.

Tarkov has a binaural audio driver in its occulus audio package, but it isn't great. Still, something is better than nothing. Soon after after they switched to it, it was causing performance issues and wasn't working, but that is no longer the case. I'm sure they will break it again.

If you are suffering from audio issues, come hang out in the discord and we can help you troubleshoot it.

Long version:
A Tarkov guy made a 3 hour video. Good luck :v.
Of particular note in there is how he tried some software and it hosed things up so badly that he had to format his drive and reinstall everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNd2GASuPQ

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So turn off the 3D spacial audio in my headphone software and just use the standard Tarkov one..got it.

Is the SPTarkov update out yet with the streets expansion?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

So turn off the 3D spacial audio in my headphone software and just use the standard Tarkov one..got it.

Is the SPTarkov update out yet with the streets expansion?

i think there's a beta branch version somewhere but obviously thats gonna have some issues and also most mods won't work on it. not sure how far away the stable release is but i figure it could be a while.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
binaural audio was broken for the first week or two after it was released, but pretty much everyone playing tons of tarkov has been using it since about a month into the last patch after they fixed a bunch of stuff. tarkov's audio in general is in a much better spot rn than it was last wipe, especially early last wipe. early last wipe the audio was so incredibly hosed and it was a tossup whether things would have zero audio or they'd be playing at full audio despite being a significant ways away

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone have the link to the auto sound dampener that was recommended before

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Does anyone have the link to the auto sound dampener that was recommended before

https://equalizerapo.com/ and https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/free-downloads (RoughRider 3 ) are what you're after.

You may also be able to find specific EQ for your headphones for it. It can be a little daunting to set up but once it's done your ears will thank you.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I followed this setup a few months ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXuAwpt4WsQ

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Been playing a bunch of night raids this wipe for the first time and it honestly owns - it has quickly become my default way to play solo raids. It’s really immersive in this game and definitely scratches the green vision operator roleplay itch. The monocular is great for a budget NVG setup and while it sucks to lose some peripheral vision the increased range and clarity makes it easier to bully players and scavs from the shadows, especially in lovely conditions. Night lobbies are a bit quieter and way more predictable which feels like it makes it easier to find stuff to shoot at. I get way more PMC kills at night because it seems like most people just beeline an objective thinking that they are invisible at night. The mini game of turning your one pair of NVG into multiple by killing people and taking theirs is great and adds some excitement to looting player kills that you don’t always get just picking up guns and armor.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I played a bunch of labs today. Two times I had an incredibly suspicious death. One time a friendly hacker voiped me through a wall that he killed everyone else on the map and was extracting so I could run around and take all the rest of the loot.

Tarkov is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

causticBeet posted:

Been playing a bunch of night raids this wipe for the first time and it honestly owns - it has quickly become my default way to play solo raids. It’s really immersive in this game and definitely scratches the green vision operator roleplay itch. The monocular is great for a budget NVG setup and while it sucks to lose some peripheral vision the increased range and clarity makes it easier to bully players and scavs from the shadows, especially in lovely conditions. Night lobbies are a bit quieter and way more predictable which feels like it makes it easier to find stuff to shoot at. I get way more PMC kills at night because it seems like most people just beeline an objective thinking that they are invisible at night. The mini game of turning your one pair of NVG into multiple by killing people and taking theirs is great and adds some excitement to looting player kills that you don’t always get just picking up guns and armor.

Night time streets with no nvgs is super fun. The map has a lot of light sources so you don't ever really get lost in the dark. One of the most immersive experiences you can have in tarkov.