Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Edge & Christian posted:

When I was in college I had a Shakespeare professor whose last name was Jimenez and he would get super mad at people who pronounced it "correctly", because his family has always pronounced is Jim Ah Nezz. I also had teachers/TAs in high school who were named Quinones ("Kwee Nowns") and Dubois ("Duh Boise").

I used to work with a Dave Peletier whose last name was pronounced "pella-teer"

One of my best friends has the last name Boucher, pronounced, Englishly, "Bowcher"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

forkboy84 posted:

Giancarlo isn't even a hard name to pronounce, & I say that as a cretinous Brit whose grasp of foreign languages in about on-par with my average countryman, which is to say non-existent.

I think we benefit from having a few more adjacent famous people of various nationalities through things like football... though that comes with its own baggage, like the above-mentioned Peletier example and whether it should be pronounced Frenchly or Englishly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Imagine if his name was Joachim.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Chris Brookes And The Gang are great, but they're great in the "listen to some folks who know the product podcast around it in a chill way and make jokes while taking the serious moments seriously" way, not really ones I can rate as, like, Wrestling Commentators. It's a different vibe.

sounds like pandemic AEW Dark

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Or Xavier

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lamuella posted:

The best English language commentator in Japan is Chris Brookes.

Chris Charlton is pretty good as a play by play guy with great knowledge, but if he tried to do Excaliburs breathless segues he would instantly combust

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Halloween Jack posted:

The next city over from where I live has a main road called Joachim Street that, yes, is pronounced "Joe Akkum Street." Love the South.

edit: Don't get me started on New Orleans and their "Leonidas Street;" the local pronunciation which is so far removed from even the bad version in 300.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Was watching the Do Fixer vs Blood Generation match and was wondering about the wrestlers in whether they were young lions when they did the match or whether the match in ROH was a rehash of something they did in Dragon Gate or what.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Was watching the Do Fixer vs Blood Generation match and was wondering about the wrestlers in whether they were young lions when they did the match or whether the match in ROH was a rehash of something they did in Dragon Gate or what.

that was the major feud in dg for about 18 months by that point. those guys had done that match probably 200 times

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TV Zombie posted:

I'd say less a rehash and more just perfect time & place. The vets of the match, CIMA & Dragon Kid, had only debuted in '97, the least experienced in 2000, so while not young lions they weren't exactly grizzled vets either, so much as just guys approaching their physical peak.

And yeah, between 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3 vs 3, 6 vs 6 matches & everything in between, Do FIXER & Blood Generation must have met in DG over 120 times in the previous 15 months, so they knew each other extremely well & everything was an extremely well-oiled machine, but then that's the DG style, especially of that time. But Blood Generation was also about to have a major change the month after this match with Gamma getting kicked out & Doi leaving with him to form a new heel unit, Muscle Outlaw'z, so ROH's big Mania weekend show basically came at the perfect time to leave a life-long impression with the fans in attendance & those who bought the DVD at the time. CIMA had been in ROH the year before, with his young boy Shingo Takagi for a Boston show, but this was DG vs DG & they really couldn't have done more for basically an exhibition of their entire style.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Ah ok. I was wondering how that match came together. It was a good match and in hindsight, I figure that they had done some variation of the match already in Japan but at the time, it felt so smooth that it really impressed me at the time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Was listening to the ROH retrospective podcast ThROH the Years and in passing they mentioned the concept of being stuck on a desert island with a collection of one wrestlers entire body of work (in the context of Christopher Daniels clearly not trying his hardest in ROH in his 2nd run because by this point TNA are on Spike & so his œuvre would be a bit hard to get through).

So what would your choice of one wrestler to be stuck watching for the next 2 years with no other form of entertainment?

I'm kind of split between a guy like Bryan Danielson who I've seen a hell of a lot of, or Kobashi, that sort of comfort food equivalent, or someone where I've really mostly only seen the high points like Eddie Guerrero

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The answer is Shibata so you can rewatch those dope BigMouthLoud matches when he was young and hungry going against legends

Or someone with a crazy long career spanning a bunch of different eras, like Terry Funk

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Masaaki Mochizuki. There's no part of his 30 year career I don't like.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If I say Roddy Piper do I get They Live and Hell Comes To Frogtown, or is it just their in-ring work?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SiKboy posted:

If I say Roddy Piper do I get They Live and Hell Comes To Frogtown, or is it just their in-ring work?

Sadly just his wrestling work. So you get his promos, but not his movies.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My immediate thought is Bryan Danielson, but I think William Regal would have a great case too because of how expansive his body of work is. With that you'd get all sorts of eras in all sorts of companies, great technical wrestling, great comedy, and lots of wild promos to enjoy too. The Regal/Benoit match from the 2000 Brian Pillman Memorial Show is one I've watched multiple times and would gladly watch even more.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Aja Kong's had a great prolonged career with a lot of varied matches

Minoru Suzuki as well

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 18, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rey mysterio jr

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Its going to be Tenryu for me

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

probably Terry Funk tbh

dude had a couple thousand matches over 50 years, and I'm willing to bet a significant amount of them made tape, so that'd keep me occupied for ages

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

Its going to be Tenryu for me

This is a really good shout

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Minoru Suzuki as well

Absolutely Suzuki for me. You've got so much variety to choose from with hard hitting stuff to technical stuff to comedy across a wide range of promotions.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Rey Mysterio was my first thought but Terry Funk is a good call as well. There’s so much variety through so many eras that there’d always be something different to watch. Not always good, but different.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Terry or Eddie Guerrero.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Maybe Kensuke Sasaki so I can get rad big matches but also Florida Express.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Does it include matches yet to come, do I get garunteed amount of future matches and promos?

Probably a tie betwren shibata, kingston, suzuki.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

goldberg so i could ride the inflated streak numbers to the mainland

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Satoshi Kojima is becoming an excellent pick with the addition of his late career "NJPW doesn't care and just lets him work big singles matches everywhere" phase.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Also going to have to say either Terry Funk or Eddie Guerrero.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I’d probably say Jericho since he crosses so many eras and varies his gimmick so much

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tonfa posted:

Satoshi Kojima is becoming an excellent pick with the addition of his late career "NJPW doesn't care and just lets him work big singles matches everywhere" phase.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Who was involved in that angle from the 80s in the NWA or Crockett or whatever where some cops arrested a wrestler who was attacking another wrestler for tape, on the street, and the wrestler thought the cops had been hired. Seem to recall him complimenting the cops on how real it looked.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

:allears:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What’s the longest a normal weekly broadcast wrestling show has ever actually overrun to a main event finish?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s the longest a normal weekly broadcast wrestling show has ever actually overrun to a main event finish?

I think a good place to start is apparently 2/145/2011 with a 20 minute overrun Rock promo

edit: Oh didn't read, properly. You're looking for a match finish in the overrun.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 21, 2023

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
How the hell does someone watch stuff like the recent Mei vs. Suzuki match or the Suzuki bullet train match that don't seem to be easily findable? I'd really like to see these two matches, I just can't find either of them, legally or no.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

KK would be a functional, if dull, commentator if he wasn't completely disinterested.
But he doesn't seem to know what's happening with the product or with the workers half the time and emotes less than an Alexa.
I think a lot of PSP's overwhelming hatred for him is an echo chamber effect but it didn't come from nowhere.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

How the hell does someone watch stuff like the recent Mei vs. Suzuki match or the Suzuki bullet train match that don't seem to be easily findable? I'd really like to see these two matches, I just can't find either of them, legally or no.

They haven't aired in piratable form yet

Mei vs. Suzuki will go on the Gatoh Move youtube channel this week likely

The bullet train match will air on ppv (here: https://pia-live.jp/perf/2333287-001?lang=en&aetpia) this weekend and then go up for a Wrestle Universe subscription in a couple of monhts

All the twitter stuff was either fan cams or DDT releasing clips early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The Giant vs. Hogan main event on the 1/13/97 Nitro wss a barn burner that had a 45 minute overrun, but unfortunately TNT could only show it during commercial breaks for The New Adventures of Robin Hood...