Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

It's one of those "worst person you know" moments, but Morgan is in the right here. oval office though he is, Brand has got the right to due process and he shouldn't be tried in the court of public opinion - especially if it might let him get away with it.

if he didn't want to be tried in the court of public opinion he probably shouldn't have raped women while being a celebrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Given the many, many stories and studies in the last few years about the British police and prosecutors' attitudes toward prosecuting rape, "why didn't they prosecute"? may well be answered by "They did and were brushed off" or "They didn't because they knew people who had been brushed off".

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This woman went to the police about him in 2014 and ended up being attacked by the police and a judge for harassment

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/sep/11/russell-brand-jemima-khan-masseuse-court-order-harassing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If you tell me you've been raped and show me a written apology from the rapist and evidence from the rape center then I'm gonna call you a rape victim.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Presumption of innocence until proven otherwise is part of the legal system, doesn't mean you have to think he's innocent.

There is an argument to be made that we assume guilt too quickly in some cases, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this isn't one .

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Savile never went to trial but I’m pretty sure most people would agree he didn’t live a blameless life of purity

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

It's one of those "worst person you know" moments, but Morgan is in the right here. oval office though he is, Brand has got the right to due process and he shouldn't be tried in the court of public opinion - especially if it might let him get away with it.

Regarding the documentary enabling him to somehow get away with it that’s not how it works. IF the documentary had been released once a trail was in motion and jury selected then yes it could be deemed prejudicial, maybe causing a mistrial…but then simply a new trial with a new selected jury. But just putting someone on blast on dispatches does not somehow confer immunity for later criminal charges and the dispatches legal team are well aware of what they cannot say.

If I trial could proceed for the Abu Hamza mid 2000s media terrorism fear it can for Brand. A judge can literally just say “you jurors look like smart guys to me, ignore the media stuff” and or postpone the trial a bit till the hype has died down.

quote:

The Privy Council, in Montgomery v HM Advocate; Coulter v HM Advocate [2003] 1 AC 641, identified that prior authority suggested a stay of proceedings would only be appropriate when “the risk of prejudice from adverse publicity is so grave that no direction by a trial judge, however careful, could reasonably be expected to remove it.”

In R v Abu Hamza [2006] EWCA Crim 2918, the Court of Appeal considered pre-trial reporting which amounted to a prolonged barrage of adverse publicity, indeed a campaign against the defendant, almost entirely hostile to him and some of it couched in particularly crude terms. There was plainly a risk to a fair trial, but the judge had been entitled to have regard to his own experience and that of his fellow judges. In doing so, he had properly concluded that he was satisfied that with proper direction a jury would be able to bring impartial judgment to the case and to decide whether, despite being labelled by some as a public enemy, the defendant really did commit the offences with which he was charged.

I mean if you followed the assumption that court of public opinion made trials impossible then it becomes impossible to prosecute any famous person for a crime so long as they're blatant enough about it.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 18, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1703645416690983226

I love the way he pretends to not remember interviewing him. He comes across as being quite nervous

e: I haven't posted a CWS for a while

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1703695179201294846

:allears:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 18, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

Presumption of innocence until proven otherwise is part of the legal system, doesn't mean you have to think he's innocent.

There is an argument to be made that we assume guilt too quickly in some cases, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this isn't one .
Yeah neither Jimmy Saville nor Greville Janner were found guilty beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law, but you'd be under no obligation to let either babysit your kids.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017
Some potentially useful news, covid jabs are now available to book online

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/covid-19-services/covid-19-vaccination-services/book-covid-19-vaccination/

which, like last time, includes the option to say you are looking after someone elderly/ill which makes you eligible for a jab if you are otherwise not able to get one. (I and my partner both look after vulnerable relatives even if we're not officially their carers). I don't think there's any need to provide proof but then there's no real way they can check anyway.

I doubt using this option is going to be taking a jab away from someone else who needs it, and really the govt should just be making them available to anyone who wants one anyway IMO.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 18 September 2023 :siren:

I am back again with the update, it's been a little while since I have done one but I know that you were all just hoping and waiting on me coming back to do these.

To be fair, this months update mostly relates to the Fund's situation, so let's start with the main part.

The monthly statistics

The fund has been gradually going down over the past few months. August had a large amount of requests from the fund. It's not shown on the graph but the fund dipped considerably in the middle of the month which did mean that special consideration had to be given to requests to ensure that we could continue to support people. Thankfully due to a large donation shortly after those requests we were able to get the fund back to the level we have had in the couple of months prior.

As I have said in the past, do not let our balance going down stop you from making a request. You are important and we are here to help. If we can help ease your life and stop the worry, then we have succeeded.

Anyway, onto the real reason that all of you are reading this post.... Rishi-Kier-Swap-1080p-x264-PiGNUS.avi STATISTICS AND GRAPHS

August Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Quarterly version of the above chart:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Now onto the other matter at hand.

We need your help

The graphs and statistics might be the reason you are here, but this month there is a reason why I am here.

It's not often that we feel the need to do this, but we come to you today to see if there any of the wonderful people in the thread who could help the fund with a donation. Just £2 a month could see a UK Goon feed his family for 2 days (apparently, according to some Tory MPs).

But in all seriousness, it is your generosity that has meant that others can have a little less stress in their lives. That we have given them the mental capacity by taking away some of the worry, that they can deal with the other aspects of their lives. We want to be sure that we can continue to do this for as long as we can. As mentioned above, earlier in the month the fund got lower than we have ever seen it go and we want to ensure that if someone needs help, we can give them that help. If you are able to donate something to the fund, we would be eternally grateful. We also know that right now things are a struggle for so many out there so please do not feel obliged to send a donation. Whether you have ever sent anything in the past has no bearing on any application in the future.

So if you are someone that is in need, no how minor or unimportant you think your need may be, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. If there is something in your life that would make things easier, get in touch. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Donate:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

smellmycheese posted:

This woman went to the police about him in 2014 and ended up being attacked by the police and a judge for harassment

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/sep/11/russell-brand-jemima-khan-masseuse-court-order-harassing

Jesus christ

Attacked by the police and a judge and named and shamed in the press

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

The weird thing about Brand is how he’s been ‘sober’ for more than two decades. Like, I know sick people do sick things, but in the media world there’s usually always some sort of adulterants involved too. To do sick things, completely sober of mind is especially harrowing as he is completely ‘straight’ of mind. And straight in the bin. (Well, deeper in the bin than he already was.)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Lemurtron posted:

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/covid-19-services/covid-19-vaccination-services/book-covid-19-vaccination/

which, like last time, includes the option to say you are looking after someone elderly/ill which makes you eligible for a jab if you are otherwise not able to get one. (I and my partner both look after vulnerable relatives even if we're not officially their carers).

This is helpful, thank you. I am in the same situation as you so it's useful to know this is an option.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fuctifino posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1703645416690983226

I love the way he pretends to not remember interviewing him. He comes across as being quite nervous

Trying to work out what four letter word he is referring to but won’t say. S**R? What is that?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lemurtron posted:

which, like last time, includes the option to say you are looking after someone elderly/ill which makes you eligible for a jab if you are otherwise not able to get one. (I and my partner both look after vulnerable relatives even if we're not officially their carers). I don't think there's any need to provide proof but then there's no real way they can check anyway.

I doubt using this option is going to be taking a jab away from someone else who needs it, and really the govt should just be making them available to anyone who wants one anyway IMO.

Hmm, coulda done with this 2 weeks ago :/

Edit: actually, looks like England only. Going by the law of averages, I could probably have gotten a jab up in Scotland if I'd had the common sense to ask for one.

It's also my 40th today, so gently caress covid and wherever it came from.

Kin fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 18, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Scientastic posted:

Trying to work out what four letter word he is referring to but won’t say. S**R? What is that?
'suer' is an old term for a man who pursues women aggressively, but it's hardly a slur, more like rake than hoe.

Maybe he's a river in Germany.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Scientastic posted:

my best guess is that he means "slut" but misspoke. maybe he's a operated by a qwerty keyboard

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

my best guess is that he means "slut" but misspoke. maybe he's a operated by a qwerty keyboard

I assumed he meant 'shagger' ( but then said 4 letters by mistake out of habit)

I wonder how the Sun's shagger of the year awards will recover from this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're sat in a circle in the basement in penitence, chanting the Sun prayer sedecim est legalis

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah neither Jimmy Saville nor Greville Janner were found guilty beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law, but you'd be under no obligation to let either babysit your kids.

Pretty much. These women say Brand is a rapist and I believe them. But I want it properly proven, if possible, so he can be nailed to the wall. And if he's guilty but the courts fail to prosecute him I want that to be on them, I don't want them to have any excuse for protecting him.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i am serene and calm, my relaxation vein is not engaged and i am neither putting on clown makeup nor buying colourful suits

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lemurtron posted:

Thank you so much for this. I've managed to spread this info far and wide, with lots of happy recipients, and have managed to book mine for next week :toot:

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Thank you so much for this. I've managed to spread this info far and wide, with lots of happy recipients, and have managed to book mine for next week :toot:

Please be aware that you may not be getting the new, much, much more effective booster based on the XBB variant, but rather old stock of the BA4/5 bivalent booster, which is not very effective at all any more with what is currently circulating.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
how come it isnt the good stuff?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I live in a posh town full of tory voters, does that help?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i am serene and calm, my relaxation vein is not engaged and i am neither putting on clown makeup nor buying colourful suits

Lefties are bad because they love Russel Brand the Bad Man and , by a continuous shifting of the rhetorical focus, hate Russel Brand the Decent Bloke

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how come it isnt the good stuff?

Because you live in Britain mf

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I knew this pee pee soaked heck hole would remind me why I was making a portfolio and aiming for a job in the Netherlands before too long after my vacation but fuckin well canceling trains into a central station (confusingly one of two in Glasgow City Center. Because of course.) due to a loving balloon on the power lines is some spectacular new flavour of bullshit.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 18, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ConanThe3rd posted:

I knew this pee pee soaked heck hole would remind me why I was making a portfolio and aiming for a job in the Netherlands before too long after my vacation but fuckin well canceling trains into a central station (confusingly one of two in Glasgow City Center. Because of course.) due to a loving balloon on the power lines is some spectacular new flavour of bullshit.

Took them an hour to remove it, that could he worse

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet they'd really panic if it were 99 of them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It was the right response. If that balloon popped, it might have left a little bit of rubber on the track itself, and then they'd have to shut down the whole network

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Sometimes I do wonder if the worst thing Al Qaeda could ever have done to this country is not bombing the tube but just throwing trash on railways

The cops would never have found them and they could keep doing it for weeks maybe even months, shutting down freight and passenger transport all over the place and just absolutely wrecking the country

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't cause terror though, and they weren't a disruptionist group.

Now those brexiteers who tried to mess with the track circuit with car jumper leads, WW2 saboteur style, but failed because all trains use the GSM based sensors now as per EU regulation, they'd have been better doing that. Or just staying at home.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pantsfree posted:

Please be aware that you may not be getting the new, much, much more effective booster based on the XBB variant, but rather old stock of the BA4/5 bivalent booster, which is not very effective at all any more with what is currently circulating.
Oh, this sucks :( Is it worth asking about this when going to the appointment? Or is it perversely better to wait to get a booster until later in the year?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Doesn't cause terror though, and they weren't a disruptionist group.

Now those brexiteers who tried to mess with the track circuit with car jumper leads, WW2 saboteur style, but failed because all trains use the GSM based sensors now as per EU regulation, they'd have been better doing that. Or just staying at home.

If think if brexiteers wanted to destroy the country the best thing they could have done is go out and vote for brexit

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I bet they'd really panic if it were 99 of them.

ninety nine train delays
baking in the summer heat

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Took them an hour to remove it, that could he worse

Well apprently my return trip is canceled too. This is turds.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tesseraction posted:

ninety nine train delays
baking in the summer heat

Panic bells, it's red alert
There's something here from somewhere else

Suella Braverman's imigration policy might acutally be based on Nena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Due to delays in procurement, Britain's war machine is currently only operating a single beady eye at any one time.